Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Guess it strayed offbeatr path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Do you remember the ZX Spectrum or Timex Sinclair? Apparently enough people did to fund an Indiegogo campaign to the tune of $650k to make a portable handheld version of them which ended up devolving into a total clusterfuck (to the point this video summarizing the whole situation is 82 minutes):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLBh8rSDPgk

Mr.Radar has a new favorite as of 05:47 on Dec 4, 2018

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

That’s uh, quite in depth. Is there a summary of the summary?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
From what I remember, a rich guy gave the legal OK for his smart friend and his rear end in a top hat friend to kickstart a project based on his IP. rear end in a top hat hired a career criminal to help out.

rear end in a top hat and crook treated smart guy like poo poo so he left the project early on. But he was the only one who knew what he was doing. So the duo took all the money, pretended the project was coming along, and blamed smart guy for the product never shipping. Even when it was two years after he left.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mr.Radar posted:

Do you remember the ZX Spectrum or Timex Sinclair? Apparently enough people did to fund an Indiegogo campaign to the tune of $650k to make a portable handheld version of them which ended up devolving into a total clusterfuck (to the point this video summarizing the whole situation is 82 minutes):

I mean it's not surprising it got funded, particularly in the UK but across most of Europe it was easily the best-selling of the 8-bit home micros and probably outsold most consoles of the era too. Certainly any nerd of a certain age east of the Atlantic would have at least used one if not owned one, and nerds of a certain age are the main market for this sort of thing.

However there are a million and one Speccy emulators out there, I had one on my S60 mobile in like 2006 and of course there are dozens of Android-based handheld consoles out there mostly used for MAME and console emulation that you could have used for this, so I can't really find any sympathy for the people scammed.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

But you can’t be a consumer whore with mame.

I get the appeal of these micro consoles. You get to spend money, and they require zero loving around on semi dodgy sites collecting roms.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mr.Radar posted:

the video is gone?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Horse Clocks posted:

But you can’t be a consumer whore with mame.

I get the appeal of these micro consoles. You get to spend money, and they require zero loving around on semi dodgy sites collecting roms.

These projects all end up going to same way though. The Kickstarter page promises thousands of classic games, then they find out that they can't actually include any of them because oops it turns out copyright doesn't magically disappear just because you want it to. The launch is delayed multiple times, and eventually you get something that has 20 licensed games installed (only 5-10 of which are actually any good), and so you end up having to download games from dodgy emulation sites anyway.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Sweevo posted:

These projects all end up going to same way though. The Kickstarter page promises thousands of classic games, then they find out that they can't actually include any of them because oops it turns out copyright doesn't magically disappear just because you want it to. The launch is delayed multiple times, and eventually you get something that has 20 licensed games installed (only 5-10 of which are actually any good), and so you end up having to download games from dodgy emulation sites anyway.

This time it was slightly different, because at some point they actually managed to strike a deal with whoever holds right to ZX Spectrum, but hosed it up, and ultimately had to remove all mentions of it from their branding and everything.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sweevo posted:

The playstation classic wasnt kickstarted though

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

exploded mummy posted:

the video is gone?

Yeah due to a legal threat it had to be removed at noon GMT. It's going to be reposted on another person's channel in a few days, one who would apparently be in a better position to defend against the legal threat (related to how one of the people involved was identified, and I suspect being one of the criminal dudes mad that their involvement with sex robots for rapists and pedophiles was mentioned).

quote:

Due to a few issues behind the scenes (that I will discuss in an update video tomorrow) this video will be deleted from my channel at midday (UK TIME) 04/12/2018 Please do share it as much as possible before then #KickScammers

quote:

Hello all. Firstly, I just want to say a massive thanks to everyone that has shared the VEGA+ video. It's done better than I expected and I have had almost nothing but positive feedback from you all :) Kieren (Lairds Lair) and I have made something extra special here. It's such an awesome feeling, again, a big thank you. So, why am I deleting it? Well, a video like this was always gonna cause a little controversy and about 30 minutes after it went live I got a privacy complaint from an unknown individual. The time stamps given all show the same person and I was asked to fix it within 48 hours or YouTube will step in to asses the situation. This wound me up because even if I did blur out this persons face, it would had still been pretty obvious who it was. In my opinion the whole thing was a scare tactic in hope that the video will be removed from my (almost) 100,000 subscriber Channel... ...And I'm gonna do just that! Remove it from a 100K channel and re-upload it onto a channel 3x my size :P "Hello You" I need to make a small edit (as I forgot to give credit to ThatRetroVideoGamer) and it will then be re-uploaded. Again, a big thank you all for your support, when you see the video pop up again (probably within the next day or 2) please continue being awesome and SHARE, SHARE, SHARE. Mucho Love -DJ Slope

fishmech has a new favorite as of 15:58 on Dec 4, 2018

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Paladinus posted:

This time it was slightly different, because at some point they actually managed to strike a deal with whoever holds right to ZX Spectrum, but hosed it up, and ultimately had to remove all mentions of it from their branding and everything.

IIRC that's what happened with the recent attempted Colecovision relaunch too (the one where the prototype turned out to be an Atari Jaguar case with a PCI video capture card stuffed inside).

Having the rights to the platform name doesn't give you the rights to the software though. It's not like say the NES where Nintendo also hold the publishing rights to most of the software. Sinclair only released a few dozen of the ~15,000 Spectrum games. Everything else was by third-parties and would have to be licensed separately, which quickly gets complicated when a game was written by a freelancer and published by Company A, then Company A was sold to Company B, and Company B split up into Companies C and D, which both went bust 25+ years ago.

Ironically software licensing is one of the things the Spectrum scene has been pretty good about in the last 10-15 years. The main emulation site (WorldOfSpectrum.org) has taken great pains to contact all the rights holders and everything hosted there is done so with permission of the original author/publisher, but for non-commercial use only, so you still can't start loading it into a commercial product and selling it.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Sweevo posted:

Also once you get your retro game console, you'll probably realize the games were very primitive and you were a easily amused child and you just spent (wasted) $100+ on what is essentially a less functional RetroPi or Android tablet with a fancy enclosure to do what? Kill your sense of nostalgia by playing Manic Miner for 30 minutes before sticking it on the shelf to collect dust?

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

trying to play rolo to the rescue on my genesis emulator and it is kicking my rear end. how is this a kids game. still rules though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

C.M. Kruger posted:

Also once you get your retro game console, you'll probably realize the games were very primitive and you were a easily amused child and you just spent (wasted) $100+ on what is essentially a less functional RetroPi or Android tablet with a fancy enclosure to do what? Kill your sense of nostalgia by playing Manic Miner for 30 minutes before sticking it on the shelf to collect dust?

I don't want to go full "young people today" here, but I would still sit down for hours with Paradroid or Wizball. In the case of Wizball it would only be one game and until I got tired because I'm too good at it to ever run out of lives, but the point remains.

Regarding the Vega+, your best source of information is probably The Register, who have covered it in depth. An especial highlight is the story linking RCL chairman David Levy to Steve Bannon and sexbots - at the same time.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jedit posted:

I don't want to go full "young people today" here, but I would still sit down for hours with Paradroid or Wizball. In the case of Wizball it would only be one game and until I got tired because I'm too good at it to ever run out of lives,

All right mister swank!

...once the baddies started shooting back I was finished.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkvOlE8qDB0
The spectrum portable video is available again.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

fishmech posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkvOlE8qDB0
The spectrum portable video is available again.

why does every British dude on Youtube with the notable exception of Hbomb sound like a combination of the MovieFone guy and Bill Shatner, and how do they expect people to listen to that voice for an hour

even Shaun tends to go with the extremely melodramatic drawn-out thing, idk why it bothers me so much

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

TheKennedys posted:

why does every British dude on Youtube with the notable exception of Hbomb sound like a combination of the MovieFone guy and Bill Shatner, and how do they expect people to listen to that voice for an hour

Yeah his voice is loving unbearable. Almost as bad as his need to include the same three stupid loving photos of himself in every video.

The better comparison is Jeremy Clarkson, the most obnoxious oval office in the history of mass media.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

TheKennedys posted:

even Shaun tends to go with the extremely melodramatic drawn-out thing, idk why it bothers me so much

He started out on TV in the 90s, maybe that's why.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

techmoan is my tasteless waifu please don't disrespect

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

TheKennedys posted:

Many of British youtubers for some reason are either from the Midlands or from the North of England, and/or are also friends with each other. You probably subconsciously think they do their Game of Thrones impressions or something.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Yeah a lot of that group has done some amount of professional tv/video work before they were YouTube guys, some still do it too.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1075811745455730688?s=21

The stupidest go fund me yet.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

If one thing comes from it I hope a few reactionaries get some nascent class consciousness as they see a real time example of how much insane wealth a billion dollars represents as they pour million after million into this and barely move the needle.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Owlbear Camus posted:

If one thing comes from it I hope a few reactionaries get some nascent class consciousness as they see a real time example of how much insane wealth a billion dollars represents as they pour million after million into this and barely move the needle.

lol

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

It's over 8.2 million dollars now, with 135,000 backers. This is going to implode spectacularly.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If we fund the wall through GoFundMe, can the money they were gonna use for it go to paying for healthcare?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is it Flexible Funding?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Pyroclastic posted:

It's over 8.2 million dollars now, with 135,000 backers. This is going to implode spectacularly.

Like, 8.2 milly in 3 days is a staggering amount, but it will still take an entire year to get to a billy... if they can sustain this rate.

Then low end estimate they'd need 7 more of them.

LOL

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

The Lone Badger posted:

Is it Flexible Funding?

GoFundMe lets you take the money as soon as it's pledged; according to their site you only have 24 hours to request a refund through the site after that you have to deal with the person collecting the money directly.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
That poo poo is brilliant. I wish I’d thought of it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

Like, 8.2 milly in 3 days is a staggering amount, but it will still take an entire year to get to a billy... if they can sustain this rate.

Then low end estimate they'd need 7 more of them.

LOL

I don't think you're accounting for overhead and fundraising expenses.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1075924847493042179

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

quite possibly the least surprising thing i've ever heard

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Somebody made a GFM to counter the wall one, so people from both sides (of the wall) can throw money at memes

https://www.gofundme.com/ladders-to-get-over-trump039s-wall

Sadly, it wasn't my idea, raise $1B to not build a wall. I wouldn't even have to do anything to scam people out of their money.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Meanwhile GFM is loving the unexpected Xmas gift a bunch of idiots have given them.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Maybe if these chuds embraced communism earlier, they'd have a wall already.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

"Person trying to scam people is a known scammer." "Hm maybe googling this guy before throwing money at him for a fundraiser for a near impossible goal would have been a good idea nah no way I could have known better keep throwing money at it" *throws 4 million more dollars at it after that article was published*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Araenna posted:

"Person trying to scam people is a known scammer." "Hm maybe googling this guy before throwing money at him for a fundraiser for a near impossible goal would have been a good idea nah no way I could have known better keep throwing money at it" *throws 4 million more dollars at it after that article was published*

I just hate the Mexicans so much, you see. How can I not?