Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

The darkest supernova

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Portal 3 looking kinda effed up.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Add filter > Platonic Ideal of AXE Body Spray

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

charliebravo77 posted:

Still has more Instagram followers than I do and that's what really matters these days :sigh:

A good 3/4 of IG accounts following you are spambots

Probably closer to 90% if you're on twitter

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

charliebravo77 posted:

Still has more Instagram followers than I do and that's what really matters these days :sigh:

He gives his viewers options:

You can look at a fiddlestick movie with only him
https://www.instagram.com/p/Brfmxl8hmqN/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

or

you can watch a fiddlestick movie with him and someone else.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BrfmjOzBpqU/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

charliebravo77 posted:

I'm going to guess that a lot of his followers are bots. The engagement rates on his photos are poo poo. Most have single digit likes and comments. I have about half of his number of followers but I get a whole bunch more engagement on each post I make.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Good morning everyone well what an eventful week it has been so let's cut to the chase, troypointerphotography in #Thailand supporting you the public about #thailand and if you are thinking of going here I aim to give good advice and a clear understanding of how things are in in #Thailand from what we have seen and done so we have travel from Bangkok to #koh samui Island since that time we have arrived in Bangkok we have seen a lot of rudeness in fact Thailand English is not that good customer service in some of the places we have been in has been absolutely disgusting full show being an #asian country it is actually quite expensive.
Not like #philippines that's when we traveled to #koh samui Island we started to experienced some better attitude but in the city of #Chaweng at the #Mall some people do not know how to respect people however saying all of this there are some nice places around that we have seen so far today I am going to post images and videos of the places that we have seen and been to since we have been in #koh samui I had that you will enjoy the posts if you have any questions feel free to ask such as how long does it take from Bangkok to the station to meet the ferry to go to the island it takes about 12 hours overnight honey in fact actually it was good and certainly cheaper than #flying the weather so let me inform you about the weather for December so far up until the dates of the 13th of 12th 2018 the weather has been up and down during the day it is quite warm and with the occasional downpour of #rain in fact you will find it also raining during the night there has been the occasional #thunder and lightning which bus I been #Enjoying. Thanks for following us on this photography tour in Thailand with Troy pointer photography lots more coming out check out our Twitter Facebook and Instagram thanks everybody Troy pointer photography you live in Thailand in koh samui Island . The Bike Cost 1,050 BHT £26 Pounds for 7 days you will passport and cash #Beaches Visited in follow on posts are #Lamai Beach #Chawenge the #Temple is #Laie-Hawaii Temple the place we are staying in is called #Weekender #Bungallows in #Lamai 9 days 5,300 BHT £133 Pounds

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

^ :stare:

Helen Highwater posted:

I'm going to guess that a lot of his followers are bots. The engagement rates on his photos are poo poo. Most have single digit likes and comments. I have about half of his number of followers but I get a whole bunch more engagement on each post I make.

Oh I'm sure, I was just lamenting on the whole landscape of social media at the moment. That said, I can't even get bots to like me :v:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

unpacked robinhood posted:

Good morning everyone well what an eventful week it has been so let's cut to the chase, troypointerphotography in #Thailand supporting you the public about #thailand and if you are thinking of going here I aim to give good advice and a clear understanding of how things are in in #Thailand from what we have seen and done so we have travel from Bangkok to #koh samui Island since that time we have arrived in Bangkok we have seen a lot of rudeness in fact Thailand English is not that good customer service in some of the places we have been in has been absolutely disgusting full show being an #asian country it is actually quite expensive.
Not like #philippines that's when we traveled to #koh samui Island we started to experienced some better attitude but in the city of #Chaweng at the #Mall some people do not know how to respect people however saying all of this there are some nice places around that we have seen so far today I am going to post images and videos of the places that we have seen and been to since we have been in #koh samui I had that you will enjoy the posts if you have any questions feel free to ask such as how long does it take from Bangkok to the station to meet the ferry to go to the island it takes about 12 hours overnight honey in fact actually it was good and certainly cheaper than #flying the weather so let me inform you about the weather for December so far up until the dates of the 13th of 12th 2018 the weather has been up and down during the day it is quite warm and with the occasional downpour of #rain in fact you will find it also raining during the night there has been the occasional #thunder and lightning which bus I been #Enjoying. Thanks for following us on this photography tour in Thailand with Troy pointer photography lots more coming out check out our Twitter Facebook and Instagram thanks everybody Troy pointer photography you live in Thailand in koh samui Island . The Bike Cost 1,050 BHT £26 Pounds for 7 days you will passport and cash #Beaches Visited in follow on posts are #Lamai Beach #Chawenge the #Temple is #Laie-Hawaii Temple the place we are staying in is called #Weekender #Bungallows in #Lamai 9 days 5,300 BHT £133 Pounds

hell, same

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

I think I understand why even the notoriously-friendly Thais hate this guy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Someone's markov chain chat bot needs further development.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Um, exsqueeze me, but I’m a real person.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

without fail, no matter how lovely a photographer is, there's some rube who wants to work for them for free.

quote:

Got you. Do you take apprentices with you to go shooting? I have a shoot set up in Minneapolis with another photographer and am looking for more to go shoot with.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

quote:

Is this the highest resolution to the photo? The greatest strengths to it is that you have used the sun in an interesting way, you have great symmetry with the trees which creates a great back drop, on top of that you have a very interesting approach to the flower, and lastly some amazing colors. The weaknesses that this photo have are the fact that the leaves of the flower are in focus which is why I asked if it is the highest resolution. I would guess that it is. I think it could have been a stronger piece if you would have made the flower in focus and the backdrop out of focus it would have given the photo a better focal point. Overall the idea behind the photo is quite amazing, and the strengths defiantly overcome the weaknesses of the photo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

quote:

Not even close to the highest res. But that’s only for sale.

:suicide:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Someone ask how much

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

More like Troy Disappointer

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

rio posted:

Someone ask how much

I hope you're happy with yourself for making me go look it up.

https://www.benstraussphotography.com/product-page/autumn-blossoms

rio
Mar 20, 2008

xzzy posted:

I hope you're happy with yourself for making me go look it up.

https://www.benstraussphotography.com/product-page/autumn-blossoms

Thanks, I just ordered 16x20 canvas prints for my family and friends for 122 bucks each. They will only appreciate in value over the years so it’s well worth it.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
yeah i suck

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

A photograph of a painting, by someone else, with pronounced flash glare.

Over 200 faves. :thunk:

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

President Beep posted:

A photograph of a painting, by someone else, with pronounced flash glare.

Over 200 faves. :thunk:

Putting your giant watermark on your crappy photo of someone else's painting.

:discourse:

Tasha Blanco-Dominguez posted:

That's so stunning, Francesco!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

pseudorandom posted:

Putting your giant watermark on your crappy photo of someone else's painting.

:discourse:

I can only assume people think it's his painting he took a photo of. What else would they be commenting on?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Filters -> Stylize -> Uncanny Valley

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Like one of those baby-face aliens from Prometheus...

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's spackle.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

xzzy posted:

This one is kinda fun, flickr's doing a "post your best photo from 2018" thing. There's some good stuff in there, but there's a lot of really poo poo stuff too. It's curious to see what people select as their own best.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/yourbestshot2018/pool/

It also makes me super concerned about my ability to judge my own photos. Like, what if I'm as dumb as they are? :ohdear:

Only a few photos in and there is a terrible nude self portrait. I'm not sure what I was expecting.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Zero One posted:

Only a few photos in and there is a terrible nude self portrait. I'm not sure what I was expecting.
Duke Phillips' best photos of 2018. “Taken on a Dare!"

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

xzzy posted:

This one is kinda fun, flickr's doing a "post your best photo from 2018" thing. There's some good stuff in there, but there's a lot of really poo poo stuff too. It's curious to see what people select as their own best.

It also makes me super concerned about my ability to judge my own photos. Like, what if I'm as dumb as they are? :ohdear:

Nice errrrr photo?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

SOOC, dawg!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Straight Outta Original Character (please do not steal)

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

xzzy posted:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

If you need me, I’ll be in my sulking tent. :colbert:

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Are the LEGO people Jews or nazis? Wait, I don’t know if I want to know the answer to that.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Calling it now: that’s gonna be the inexplicable social trend of 2019. It’s juuuust about to blow up.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The toy photography people are already an inexplicable trend, they don't need encouragement.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

quote:

I wrote a long response to a new OP this morning about travel kit and how and why I do it as a travel shooter. Then I erased it and pasted it here in a new thread. I decided to make it a new thread and some of you won't like that I did. But I think it might be instructive for a few guys who are struggling with lens decisions (every day on this board) and various ways to do it, what to travel with and why.

Bob T, Jerry, JS, Mike, and several of you other guys who have already heard me say this 500 times, don't bother yourself with this post. But I get PM'd on this constantly and there is at least 5 threads a week about this very subject.

So I decided to make it a thread and apologize for it's length. Here goes:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I must admit I left Canon FF DSLRs and lots of L glass because I had decided 5 or 6 years ago that the new Fuji XT-1 and that great little 18-55 (not a kit) zoom could solve my travel needs. I was tired of humping the 5DIII and L glass.

After getting the XT-1 with the 18-55, I quickly added the 10-24 and 55-200 and had a fantastic little travel zoom package that took me from 10mm all the way through 200 with great IQ. It was awesome. I loved it. That started it for me -- the switch to the whole Fuji ergo and wonderful cameras and glass.

For travel you need wide, normal and compression/reach and that great little zoom trio gets it better than anything out there at incredible ergo, IQ, size and weight. I still recommend it constantly even though I don't use it myself anymore.

But then I decided to add a prime for fun. The best prime lens in the world is probably the Mighty 16. So I bought it and loved it. I always took it with me (still do) on travel so the travel kit grew to 4 lenses.

The 16-55 was out back then, but I made fun of it for almost four years on this board because it reminded me too much of my big L glass that I had left behind and I lambasted it for not having OIS. I named it the Brick and made fun of the lens for many years on this board.

So I initially had the great little Fuji travel zoom travel trio (10-24, 18-55 and 55-200) and the Mighty 16. That is a great travel kit and a lot of you should do it.

Then I decided to shoot portraits so I bought a couple of the best portrait lenses in the world - the 90 and 56. I didn't intend to travel with them (but still sometimes carry both on trips - love the fast glass for indoor stuff and just for fun plus world-class IQ).

I also decided to buy the three great little F2 primes (23/35/50) when they came out which are fabulous for travel so I added these three little babies to the trip-list because they are so small I could sneak them into my wife's purse or carry-on with ease.

But then about a year ago (or was it two?) I bought the Brick and it changed everything. I love that lens more than any lens I have ever owned. It is a spectacular travel lens (a true bag of primes) and is now my base for everything, especially since Fuji resurrected it with the XH-1 and IBIS.

When shooting Canon DSLRs I had the famous and ubiquitous 70-210 F2.8 and F4 L lenses. I loved the F4 because it was smaller and I took it everywhere. Fuji came out with the fantastic equivalent, the 50-140 F2.8, so I bought it and it now goes in my bag always (replaces the 55-200).

I love to shoot wide on travel, so I always had the 10-24, which is still a must-have lens for all Fuji shooters (unless you spring for the new 8-16). But I fell in love with my one non-Fuji lens, the great (and inexpensive) Sam/Rok 12 F2 prime. I learned to shoot it and loved the F2 for indoors in churches and palaces. It manual focuses so quickly and accurately using focus-peaking (low). It replaced the 10-24 in my travel bag.

When the 100-400 came out, I bought it because I wanted to have it in the car for National Park trips (which we love to do), but I never take it on travel if I fly (Jerry does). That is a great lens.

When the 80 1:1 macro came out last year, I had to get it because I had made fun of Fuji for 5 years for not having a 1:1 true macro lens, and then they come out with maybe the best macro lens in the world. It is huge and I don't travel with it but just play with it at home for some fun macro. But wait... I do take it on travel. I have it with me right now in Mexico. It is a great lens.

Then the 8-16 came out a few weeks ago at 2,000 dollars. I had to get it to create my new base travel zoom trio: 8-16, 16-55, and the 50-140. I will always have those three lenses in the bag as my travel base and add primes for fun and spice. On the 8-16, let me say I'm not sure I would recommend that lens for most of you. I have been making myself use it and it has fantastic IQ and superb quality. But 8 to 12 mm is very tough to shoot and the lens is hugely expensive. I love it and am so glad I have it. But most of you should use the great 10-24 or Rok 12 for your wide needs.

So, I get on the plane with two full but relatively small shoulder bags, and Teresa sticks a couple of lenses in her purse or backpack. I own 14 Fuji XF lenses. I usually travel with about half of them. The big zoom F2.8 trio, Mighty 16, a couple of the little F2 primes for fun, sometimes the 90 (which I sometimes use for walking around but the 50-140 has that well covered but it is great for indoors and at night) and sometimes the 80 (for macros if I'm going to a garden or something) and the 56 (for family portraits, indoor use, night use - turns night into day).

When walking around the destination city, town, village or park all day I take the Domke Next Generation Herald or Domke F803 shoulder bag and put 3 or 4 lenses in it. It's not a big load. I carry the XH-1 around my neck. When I hike, the XH-1 stays around the neck (even on long hard day-hikes) and I put 3 or 4 lenses in my day-hiking backpack. Teresa will usually agree to carry one prime lens for me in her pack.

On the plane I put the Peak Design Everyday Messenger loaded with the XH-1 and three lenses, plus my Dell XPS 13-inch laptop. I put the Domke Next Generation bag loaded with my other lenses on the other shoulder and walk on the plane usually without any form of challenge or even a glance from the gate attendant. It is not a huge load and does not get the attention of the gate-checkers if the overheads are small, like on commuter planes for internal flights. It works but there is some risk. A gate-check would be a disaster with those soft shoulder bags stuffed full of expensive gear but it has not happened to me yet. It almost did once in South America, but I made it on after some begging and pleading.
I carry the RRS TFC-14 travel tripod in the checked suitcase and sometimes 2, 3 or 4 Godox Speedlites.

Now, having said all of that, you know what I just did? I bought the medium format GFX 50r and three huge Fuji GFX lenses. Why? Hard to explain. But I did it, which completely reversed my logic for leaving Canon for Fuji to begin with. Those new babies are waiting for me at home right now in unopened B&H boxes. I'm not sure how they fit into my travel plans, but maybe on my next trip I take only the 50r and the three lenses - the 23, 45 and 23-64. (I will take the X100F too, but not the XH_1 and XF lenses). That means I will be far less versatile and not nearly as quick and nimble hand-held as with my Fuji APSC gear, and every shot will have to be more well thought out with less DOF, no IBIS and higher required hand-held speeds, but it will either make me fall in love with MF or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

loving hell, and I thought I talked a lot!