Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Z. Autobahn posted:

How does Jones voting YES give them the talking point that it's a Dem shutdown any more than all Dems voting to block it?

a lot of people in this thread are of the mindset republicans always win no matter what and need to fit reality to figuring out how that will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Retro42 posted:

This is just the Senate getting to "Can we at least get to the part where we get to talk about how dumb this is" isnt it.

sounds like it yea they're just taking it off the docket and saying 'yea this is gonna fail but let's get it over with so we can work something else out'

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

eke out posted:

i saw someone here suggesting, based on back of envelope math, it'd take roughly all the steel produced in the world for two full years to merely get materials for this plan

i'd love to see like actual estimates of the costs because $25B for the concrete wall was always a joke, everyone knew it'd need far more - and steel must be several times that

I believe that was for slats that were flat steel reinforcing things for a fence that one might fairly call slats, and not freestanding pointy flagpoles dense enough to block people and that also cannot deflect enough to trivially allow passage if you climb them a bit (lol).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Maybe everyone just got tired of waiting and they wanted to speed it to the floor so it would get voted down.

nah it got proved there's not even a majority for THE WALL in the Senate, and not even close to 60 votes.

the "deal" here is just to run through all the procedural hurdles so once one side caves you can open the government ASAP but nobody's caving right now. they won't vote down the house bill because they're going to amend it and punt it back to the house once they're ready to reopen

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

eke out posted:

they got him with the same bullshit they got flake on

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1076249918833074176

and it was bound to move on to debate the second this happened and flake flipped

well that's sorta comforting. at least it will die on the floor then instead of aborted.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

evilweasel posted:

nah it got proved there's not even a majority for THE WALL in the Senate, and not even close to 60 votes.

the "deal" here is just to run through all the procedural hurdles so once one side caves you can open the government ASAP but nobody's caving right now. they won't vote down the house bill because they're going to amend it and punt it back to the house once they're ready to reopen

so they are just hoping the house makes a clean bill and trump will be forced to cave.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

eke out posted:

i saw someone here suggesting, based on back of envelope math, it'd take roughly all the steel produced in the world for two full years to merely get materials for this plan

i'd love to see like actual estimates of the costs because $25B for the concrete wall was always a joke, everyone knew it'd need far more - and steel must be several times that

Hahaha no. That’s some poo poo math.

Source: I build the existing steel border fence and estimate poo poo like this for a living.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Usually when democrats cave its because their corporate donors also benefit from the terrible republican policies.

I'd be really shocked if they caved on this, which benefits no one...

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

eyebeem posted:

Source: I build the existing steel border fence and estimate poo poo like this for a living.

How much should it cost, then

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

eke out posted:

they got him with the same bullshit they got flake on

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1076249918833074176

and it was bound to move on to debate the second this happened and flake flipped

...ow, my head :psyduck:

What does this even mean? Does this mean "vote to get it onto the floor so we can vote it down and go home"?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Usually when democrats cave its because their corporate donors also benefit from the terrible republican policies.

yep. the donnor class and pretty much everyone who isn't a super chud, hate THE WALL for various reasons. its not gonna happen and its super dead when January hits.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Bat-wielding thug huh...?

quote:

SHARON !!!

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

What did they cave on? Who loving cares if the thing goes to the floor to die vs dying in process. Literally nobody but this thread will give a poo poo even tomorrow.

Edit: Misread and thought this was a dems bad because they caved post.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

What does this even mean? Does this mean "vote to get it onto the floor so we can vote it down and go home"?

They are going to vote it down and amend it, then bump it back to the House so Trump and the House Fuckwit Caucus own it

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

eyebeem posted:

well don't just claim you know the answer without sharing with us

how much steel does it take to put 25 foot spears the entire length of the border

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Ok, so they did it to pressure to House to stop loving around.

Pussy-rear end Tuesday Group Republicans need to tell the HFC to go gently caress themselves and just caucus with the Ds on a veto-proof majority for a clean CR. They are letting these 20-something assholes destroy them and this is their chance to put them in their place.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

the bill now can go to the senate floor. This bill as it is won't pass, so they're gonna try to amend it in a way that compromises and then punt it back to the house for THEIR approval. Shutdown is comin

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

sorta. the bill is dead in the water but they want it out of procedure so they can clean it up(probably remove the wall poo poo) and send it back to the house.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

the bill now can go to the senate floor. This bill as it is won't pass, so they're gonna try to amend it in a way that compromises and then punt it back to the house for THEIR approval. Shutdown is comin

and if it goes into next year(which it will) the house will rip the wall part out.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Just lol if you think that Pelosi or Schumer are in a compromising mood. Pelosi in particular has been savage lately, but they both obviously smell blood in the water and clearly have been extra harsh ever since their meeting with trump.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

the agreement, to hear them tell it, is that the house bill is only coming to the floor because it will not be staying as the house bill for $5B, it'll be altered significantly to the point democrats can support it - and the whole process will be much faster if they let it through this hurdle now, if the goal is to avoid a shutdown

if it does stay as the $5B giveaway it's dead-on-arrival anyways, there's not a chance in hell to reach 60

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

and if it goes into next year(which it will) the house will rip the wall part out.

yea unless someone caves soon this is gonna be pretty well locked in for a shutdown that lasts until the new term, in which case the newly flipped house will probably tear out any amendments and send a clean CR back.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Told you earlier about Jones being a possible flake.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
When does this session of Congress officially end?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/1076243278272417792?s=19

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I, uh...I don't think he is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

do you think the wall will be a key feature of trump's 2020 campaign

'ill do it this time guys'

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

eke out posted:

the agreement, to hear them tell it, is that the house bill is only coming to the floor because it will not be staying as the house bill for $5B, it'll be altered significantly to the point democrats can support it - and the whole process will be much faster if they let it through this hurdle now, if the goal is to avoid a shutdown

if it does stay as the $5B giveaway it's dead-on-arrival anyways, there's not a chance in hell to reach 60

my guess is they will take out the wall spending and up spending on CBP type poo poo like they did last time.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Just lol if you think that Pelosi or Schumer are in a compromising mood. Pelosi in particular has been savage lately, but they both obviously smell blood in the water and clearly have been extra harsh ever since their meeting with trump.

Pelosi whipping up a discharge petition to force a vote on the clean bill (which would pass) and force trump to actually veto it is my favorite unlikely scenario to imagine happening.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

he flaked and screw him for making this easier for these ghouls in any way but it really isn't a meaningful flake.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so they are just hoping the house makes a clean bill and trump will be forced to cave.

nah this isn't about anyone hoping for a specific result. it's basically an agreement that "these votes are dumb and we're gonna want to reopen the government asap once we finally have a deal, so get this to the floor but we don't vote on it until we have something that's gonna pass and become law asap"

republicans can pretend to believe what will pass will be T H E W A L L while dems know what's eventually going to pass is no wall, but maybe there's a differennt CR length or something like that. at a minimum it'll need to be amended to provide for back pay. either way, once someone caves you want a vote ASAP because nobody wants the shutdown to continue longer. whatever it is, it'll get passed via a snap amendment vote then a snap vote, punted back to the house with a minimum of fuss.

nobody expects the house to just pass a clean bill while they wait

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

Pelosi whipping up a discharge petition to force a vote on the clean bill (which would pass) and force trump to actually veto it is my favorite unlikely scenario to imagine happening.

iirc discharge petition takes 30 days

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/CNNSitRoom/status/1076242191461289984

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

sexpig by night posted:

he flaked and screw him for making this easier for these ghouls in any way but it really isn't a meaningful flake.

Oh I know.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i am honestly surprised he is smart enough to understand passive aggressiveness.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

evilweasel posted:

nah this isn't about anyone hoping for a specific result. it's basically an agreement that "these votes are dumb and we're gonna want to reopen the government asap once we finally have a deal, so get this to the floor but we don't vote on it until we have something that's gonna pass and become law asap"

republicans can pretend to believe what will pass will be T H E W A L L while dems know what's eventually going to pass is no wall, but maybe there's a differennt CR length or something like that. at a minimum it'll need to be amended to provide for back pay. either way, once someone caves you want a vote ASAP because nobody wants the shutdown to continue longer. whatever it is, it'll get passed via a snap amendment vote then a snap vote, punted back to the house with a minimum of fuss.

nobody expects the house to just pass a clean bill while they wait

no i meant that the govement will shut down long enough that whatever they boot to the house will be torn apart by the new house dems.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah this is basically a concise summation

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1076250178028482560

the bill is a husk that will be hollowed out and filled with whatever agreement they get during the shutdown.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am honestly surprised he is smart enough to understand passive aggressiveness.

When Jared read it to him he used a really snotty voice for the appropriate parts.

My man can't read, folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

do you think the wall will be a key feature of trump's 2020 campaign

'ill do it this time guys'

His 2020 campaign will be one long, ceaseless, agonized wail