Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-rM5VyxVHk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

THS posted:

yes that’s what we do, america sucks and our military should never be trusted to do good things

America loving started something, you should be held responsible for carrying it out through. You people don't just get to leave and pretend nothing ever happened, you need to deal with the consequences. In an ideal world 100% of the US GDP would be spend on unfucking your past evils, but even in this reality you can't just pretend that withdrawing from everywhere at once is a solution. Remember how that worked for Obama in Iraq?

And if you can't loving finish anything, you people are supposedly a democracy, so elect somebody who can deal with it or delegate responsibility on the UN.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

steinrokkan posted:

America loving started something, you should be held responsible for carrying it out through. You people don't just get to leave and pretend nothing ever happened, you need to deal with the consequences. In an ideal world 100% of the US GDP would be spend on unfucking your past evils, but even in this reality you can't just pretend that withdrawing from everywhere at once is a solution. Remember how that worked for Obama in Iraq?

And if you can't loving finish anything, you people are supposedly a democracy, so elect somebody who can deal with it or delegate responsibility on the UN.

I guess we should have never left then lmao

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/AliAbunimah/status/1076251007716376577

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

nahhh. too busy keeping up with the Kardashians.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

steinrokkan posted:

dude i think everyone in the government should be killed and the potomac should stop flowing because it scabbed over from the blood

the reality is that a consistent anti-imperialism opposes any involvement in the middle east at all by america because we gently caress everything up and make it worse by our very nature

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The United States withdrew from Iraq because the Iraqi government made us leave.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

inviting american soldiers to help you is monkey paw level poo poo

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If we're operating on the belief that the US should act as World Police, and should use its military might to protect innocent people around the world who are being attacked by some foreign force, then why shouldn't Trump just tell the whole world that from now on, if they engage in genocide/ethnic cleansing, then they will be subject to nuclear bombardment until said genocide/ethnic cleansing stops? Yes, in order to set the precedent tens, hundreds, or possibly thousands of millions of people will have to be killed in an initial nuclear attack to show that the US means business, but from then on no country would DARE to engage in genocide/ethic cleansing, which in the long run would save many more lives.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The United States withdrew from Iraq because the Iraqi government made us leave.

It made you leave after years of political gently caress ups, and because you kept raping and killing too many civilians. Yet you kept trying to ensure more raping and killing opportunities for your soldiers.

And once there is actually a group in the ME that wants you to stay and help for once, you say no, thank you, it's time for you to die.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

qkkl posted:

If we're operating on the belief that the US should act as World Police, and should use its military might to protect innocent people around the world who are being attacked by some foreign force, then why shouldn't Trump just tell the whole world that from now on, if they engage in genocide/ethnic cleansing, then they will be subject to nuclear bombardment until said genocide/ethnic cleansing stops? Yes, in order to set the precedent tens, hundreds, or possibly thousands of millions of people will have to be killed in an initial nuclear attack to show that the US means business, but from then on no country would DARE to engage in genocide/ethic cleansing, which in the long run would save many more lives.

The US shouldn't be world police.

It just should keep its commitments in this one case, for this timeframe. That's all.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

THS posted:

inviting american soldiers to help you is monkey paw level poo poo

yeah the only thing surprising here is that the outcome for them isn't even worse

THS
Sep 15, 2017

steinrokkan posted:

The US shouldn't be world police.

It just should keep its commitments in this one case, for this timeframe. That's all.

it wont, it never has, it never will. viewing this stuff out of context, like this one event is the one time things will work out, is just naive

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

steinrokkan posted:

It made you leave after years of political gently caress ups, and because you kept raping and killing too many civilians.

And once there is actually a group in the ME that wants you to stay and help for once, you say no, thank you, it's time for you to die.

Look, your whole premise is based on the idea that the United States should be something that it isn't, and you're getting mad at us because we're not doing the proper show of rending our shirts and gnashing our teeth over something everybody knew was coming for years.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Look, your whole premise is based on the idea that the United States should be something that it isn't, and you're getting mad at us because we're not doing the proper show of rending our shirts and gnashing our teeth over something everybody knew was coming for years.

Well, I guess there is a certain dissonance
- my critique is mainly that the US is not a democracy, and doesn't represent the interests of the people it affects through its policies
- the people posting here already know this, but this is my outlet for getting angry about politics, so you get to read my outbursts even if you find the substance insignificant.

Still, as a non-US citizen I have a right in calling out your hypocrisy, and demanding that you either use your democracy to change your foreign policy, or acknowledge that death to America is the only policy that makes sense.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

steinrokkan posted:

death to America is the only policy that makes sense.

welcome to cspam

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

*all join hands and sing That Hate Amerikkka Beat*

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

steinrokkan posted:

Well, I guess there is a certain dissonance
- my critique is mainly that the US is not a democracy, and doesn't represent the interests of the people it affects through its policies
- the people posting here already know this, but this is my outlet for getting angry about politics, so you get to read my outbursts even if you find the substance insignificant.

Still, as a non-US citizen I have a right in calling out your hypocrisy, and demanding that you either use your democracy to change your foreign policy, or acknowledge that death to America is the only policy that makes sense.

Because of this post I'm voting for Donald Trump

AGAIN!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

THS posted:

welcome to cspam

Don't lecture me, I've gotten multiple probations for decrying Americans in the GBS, on account that hating WASPS is apparently racist.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

StashAugustine posted:

*all join hands and sing That Hate Amerikkka Beat*

I genuinely believe tha Khomenei was right about geoploitics and that Iran should replace the US and KSA on the world stage, is that enough?

THS
Sep 15, 2017

dont post in gbs or d&d

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

qkkl posted:

I hadn't considered that. I guess when u think about it parking a few thousand troops on the Syrian Turkish border to forestall an invasion from Turkey is exactly like shooting a bunch of nukes at ppl

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I studied posting at the Gulen posting academy

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

steinrokkan posted:

I studied posting at the Gulen posting academy

How do you like Pennsylvania?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Nah. It's not just people going 'yeah this was inevitable' there's a lot of 'actually its good.'

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

reignonyourparade posted:

Nah. It's not just people going 'yeah this was inevitable' there's a lot of 'actually its good.'

Correct.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

How do you like Pennsylvania?

I wish for nuclear fire to engulf the whole of the FGreat Satan, but unironically.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Considering the alternative, the way it's shaping out is pretty good so far.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Considering the alternative, the way it's shaping out is pretty good so far.

The way it's shaping out is that thousands are going to die, are you a sociopath or what?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I think its too soon to say how it will shake out, it looks like no one involved was expecting this

theres definitely a really good chance that many thousands of people are going to die, though!

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

acknowledge that death to America is the only policy that makes sense.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The idea is that trump may have inadverdently ju-jitsu'd erdogan by recalling are troops before the turks are prepared for anything like an offensive. Considering that the lira is tanking, the officer ranks have been purged, and the last showings of the turkish armed forces were not exactly brilliant, rojava may not be as dooooomed as our histrionic foreign policy apparatus believes, especially if they can come to an understanding with assad. Or maybe not, I dunno.

The idea of turkey sustaining an indefinite occupation against seasoned guerillas seems pretty suspect to me

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

steinrokkan posted:

The way it's shaping out is that thousands are going to die, are you a sociopath or what?

If the YPG makes a deal with the Syrian government to secure the border then thousands won't die. There isn't some kind of path out of an ongoing civil war with a revanchist state on the border, where nobody dies.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If the YPG makes a deal with the Syrian government to secure the border then thousands won't die. There isn't some kind of path out of an ongoing civil war with a revanchist state on the border, where nobody dies.

The Syrian government simply doesn't have the flexibility required by the US policy to replace the leaving units. Whixh is what I based my previous policy opposition on.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Fuligin posted:

The idea is that trump may have inadverdently ju-jitsu'd erdogan by recalling are troops before the turks are prepared for anything like an offensive. Considering that the lira is tanking, the officer ranks have been purged, and the last showings of the turkish armed forces were not exactly brilliant, rojava may not be as dooooomed as our histrionic foreign policy apparatus believes, especially if they can come to an understanding with assad. Or maybe not, I dunno.

The idea of turkey sustaining an indefinite occupation against seasoned guerillas seems pretty suspect to me

That's still basically 'thousands die, but also a bunch of them are Turksish soldiers.'

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

It doesn't seem like Turkish tanks are ready to roll to Raqqa.

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1076151734085607424?s=19

The regime seems comfortable enough to drag out negotiations too.

https://twitter.com/ejmalrai/status/1076153124157644800
https://twitter.com/ejmalrai/status/1076154344754610177

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

That's still basically 'thousands die, but also a bunch of them are Turksish soldiers.'

The Turkish army isn't going to suffer any major losses.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fuligin posted:

The idea is that trump may have inadverdently ju-jitsu'd erdogan by recalling are troops before the turks are prepared for anything like an offensive.

Trump "jiu-jitsu'd" Erdogan the same way Mr. Bean foils a team of assassins.

steinrokkan posted:

The Syrian government simply doesn't have the flexibility required by the US policy to replace the leaving units. Whixh is what I based my previous policy opposition on.

They don't need to be flexible, they just need to be there. Turkey could get away with their incursions into Syria under the premise that they're "securing safe zones," and helping to combat ISIS. That doesn't work if they're attacking Syrian government forces. That's also why Turkey couldn't occupy the whole of Afrin, since the SAA deployed in the southern part of the province.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

:d2a:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

typical liberal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Trump "jiu-jitsu'd" Erdogan the same way Mr. Bean foils a team of assassins.

Emphasis on the 'inadvertently'