Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

That seems like it ought to be a pretty bad look for them but... eh.

The Senate already pulled the "dump a bill on the other guys and go home" trick on the House, now they're returning the favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
This wall thing is such a farce, it brings to mind the "sharks with laser beams on their head" thing from Austin Powers.

"What do we have?"

"...sea bass."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
just make a giant version of those electro walls of light from the dishonored games.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
Bald man calls for giant comb on border.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Z. Autobahn posted:

Literally all of this thread expected it to get to vote and then die because it needs 60. The procedural moment was a blip and even then most of the thread expected the predictable flips to flip.

Like, I can get that you're loving dumb and assume THE REPUBLICANS AWAYS WIN in a world where they lost 40 seats and the ACA repeal died the most embarrassing way possible, but like, actively misrepresenting what people said like an hour ago just to do some dumb smug gloat should be bannable. This exact outcome is exactly what everyone's been saying would happen. There's no goalpost moving. This is where it dies and where it has been always clear it would die, jesus christ.
Everyone is having the same chicken with its head cut off argument route they always do, I'm not making predictions, I'm pointing out that the same dance is being held in the same square by the same people while you whistle as hard as you can and turn your anxiety into a lovely weapon to use against others on the same side as you because...

I'm sorry you're scared. And I'm even more sorry you're using your fear as an excuse to be lovely to someone else. Happy holidays.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mod sassinator posted:

Electrified spikes powered by CLEAN COAL!

What if we make the spikes out of coal?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1076263877527158785

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

I do that all the time, if someone clarifies what they mean and I took it the wrong way.

The other times, they are saying that, they just don't like being called out on the terrible poo poo they're saying and get angry that relying on :decorum: and civil discourse to euphemize their bloodlust didn't work this time.

If you want to talk about this more PM me, don't make the thread about me thanks.

As grating as Vitalsigns is sometimes to me personally, he has admitted to misinterpreted my posts multiple times and apologized for it. I don't always agree with what he says, but if he miscaracterizes what you say and you call him on it, he does admit it. Then again I am an immigrant to D&D and have only just received my Green Card...

On that note. It is almost Christmas goons. For the last 30+ pages y'all have been ripping each other new assholes and in general being a bunch of misanthropic malcontents. Would it kill yall to show a little more compassion and love for your fellow goons? Let's check our egos at the door and stop tearing people down when they ask questions because holy poo poo, this administration does enough of that all by itself.

I love you all and wish you a Merry Christmas.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Why not just a moat of lava? That way we don't even need to man it, because convection will roast the perfidious foreigners before they even get close to the border.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Into the breach we go then.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Why not just a moat of lava? That way we don't even need to man it, because convection will roast the perfidious foreigners before they even get close to the border.

maybe then we could have osme horizontal spikes that immigrants could self-impale themselves on while they wait for asylum to process, bartolome de las casas would be so proud

CommieGIR posted:

What if we make the spikes out of coal?

or combining these ideas, maybe a moat full of coal ash?

I get that these suggestions sound sadistic, but if we're going to go with a sadistic wall fence I don't want it to be some amateur hour creation

Joe the Strummer
Jun 14, 2012

You can take that to the bank senator.

To the blood bank.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i think this will be a long one. i think trump is legit in a corner and he wants his wall before it all goes to hell. i honestly think he will kill anything that doesn't give him the wall money.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

evilweasel posted:

so the way that republicans are looking at getting out of this jam is by securing "1.6b" of border security funding

you might be thinking "haven't i heard that number before" and yes you have: it's the exact amount of border security funding in the current deal. it comes with a rider that none may be spent on a wall

so the plan republicans are floating is to just claim the new bill is a victory over the old bill and get trump to sign it before fox and friends can read it

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1076257309251325957

you might wind up with an extran $100m of non-wall border security funding in exchange for some democratic priority as a fig leaf or something, but that's just me theorizing

this is a very stupid solution so now I'm pretty sure it's going to happen

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
We should get that living wall from Final Fantasy 4, that thing always got me.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Tayter Swift posted:

So, uh two things.

First, Trump doesn't know how to post pictures if I'm not mistaken so this is a staff tweet. Someone on his staff thought posting this was a good idea.

Second, couldn't you just, like, wrap a chain around a slat, hook the ends to an F-150 and pull the slat down

Not even that. If they're not fixed at all near the top then you can probably just slot a hydraulic press or jack between the slats and push them apart.

A basic 1000lb jack stuck about halfway up the (seemingly 11ish meter) steel slats would be able to separate them about an inch and a half apart further at the top and tapering down.

You can play around with more numbers here: https://www.amesweb.info/StructuralBeamDeflection/CantileverBeamConcentratedLoad.aspx

A $20 purchase at Harbor Freight can defeat this loving thing, and you don't even need a particularly tall ladder. Hell, putting one at about 2 meter from the base still get's you almost another quarter inch on the 10 or so inches that seem to be there.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think this will be a long one. i think trump is legit in a corner and he wants his wall before it all goes to hell. i honestly think he will kill anything that doesn't give him the wall money.

something convinced him to back down before, i don't know what it was, but it's still possible that crops its head up again

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I asked before but it got lost, is there any chance that republican congresspeople consider the shutdown so poisonous that even if Trump digs his heels in on demanding the wall a wallless budget gets passed with a vetoproof majority in January?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Trying to think about this in pragmatic terms I now get why walls in fantsy novels are always magical, which reminds me, do we have any wizards we can consult because I think a magical wall might be the best way of going about this

Crain posted:

Not even that. If they're not fixed at all near the top then you can probably just slot a hydraulic press or jack between the slats and push them apart.

A basic 1000lb jack stuck about halfway up the (seemingly 11ish meter) steel slats would be able to separate them about an inch and a half apart further at the top and tapering down.

You can play around with more numbers here: https://www.amesweb.info/StructuralBeamDeflection/CantileverBeamConcentratedLoad.aspx

A $20 purchase at Harbor Freight can defeat this loving thing, and you don't even need a particularly tall ladder. Hell, putting one at about 2 meter from the base still get's you almost another quarter inch on the 10 or so inches that seem to be there.

Or just get a really basic grinder or even a metal blade for a sawzall

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

My hopes are not aligned with this person.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

this is a very stupid solution so now I'm pretty sure it's going to happen

I mean, its not "a solution", its just "we lose and the Democrats win because President Idiot put us in a no win situation but we just lie and say we won and they lost and count on the fact that people on both sides are gonna buy it and repeat it."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

evilweasel posted:

something convinced him to back down before, i don't know what it was, but it's still possible that crops its head up again

idk. i don't think he will this time, this is his last chance of getting his Wall. once the new house is seated its loving over for that. and i doubt the pentagon is in a generous mood right now to build it for him.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I asked before but it got lost, is there any chance that republican congresspeople consider the shutdown so poisonous that even if Trump digs his heels in on demanding the wall a wallless budget gets passed with a vetoproof majority in January?

it happened before so probably.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

eyebeem posted:

It’s almost like one of us does this for a living, and it’s not you!

You auger alternating holes, hitting a row of every other hole while another rig sets beams behind you. Then you double back and auger between the beams that have been set.

This is the largest in-augeration, both in the US and around the world.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dapper_Swindler posted:

idk. i don't think he will this time, this is his last chance of getting his Wall. once the new house is seated its loving over for that. and i doubt the pentagon is in a generous mood right now to build it for him.

yeah but he knew that two days ago and agreed to a CR, until fox and friends turned him back

i'm not predicting it'll happen, i'm just saying since i don't know what caused that burst of dealing with reality before i can't rule out it happening again

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

evilweasel posted:

yeah but he knew that two days ago and agreed to a CR, until fox and friends turned him back

i'm not predicting it'll happen, i'm just saying since i don't know what caused that burst of dealing with reality before i can't rule out it happening again

oh yeah, he could. but i also think he doesn't want to burn that bridge, since they are one of the few he has left intact.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
He probably got punished with "No TV Time" before.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

lol at trying to convince the dems to build a giant comb

Praise Satan I don't know if I have enough weed for this goddamn holiday weekend

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

VideoGameVet posted:

My hopes are not aligned with this person.

Isn't that person one of the guys the fugitive has promised to kill?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

friendbot2000 posted:

On that note. It is almost Christmas goons. For the last 30+ pages y'all have been ripping each other new assholes and in general being a bunch of misanthropic malcontents. Would it kill yall to show a little more compassion and love for your fellow goons?

It might.

Love you and merry Christmas to you too!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

theflyingorc posted:

When does this session of Congress officially end?

Misread this as "season" and was like "We're not sure whether we're ending with a cliffhanger, a betrayal by the nominal good guys, or an actual win featuing a climbdown by the fascists"

In uh five hours I think?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

friendbot2000 posted:

As grating as Vitalsigns is sometimes to me personally, he has admitted to misinterpreted my posts multiple times and apologized for it. I don't always agree with what he says, but if he miscaracterizes what you say and you call him on it, he does admit it. Then again I am an immigrant to D&D and have only just received my Green Card...

On that note. It is almost Christmas goons. For the last 30+ pages y'all have been ripping each other new assholes and in general being a bunch of misanthropic malcontents. Would it kill yall to show a little more compassion and love for your fellow goons? Let's check our egos at the door and stop tearing people down when they ask questions because holy poo poo, this administration does enough of that all by itself.

merry christmas to you too.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Only 'cause a few people asked: I buy food in bulk, that is how I spend very little on groceries. We prepare all of our meals at home. We do not buy prepackaged foods. The most expensive thing we get is organic, free-range eggs, and we get them once a month. If anyone is interested, for some reason, in scrutinizing my menu, please PM me. No, I am not dying of hunger. I just buy the same things a lot so I always know how much money I am going to spend at the store. Not every family can live like that, it's just how mine gets by.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1076256868190834689

i think he is mad.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1076266876790063105

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1076266464766767104

its over.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

The face of a man who's not mad.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

I AM DOING WORK LOOK AT ME DOING THE WORK

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I love that he got a comically oversized stack of folders to put on his empty desk for this photo. Like, he couldn't just have grabbed a believable number. He had to go all Scooby Doo sandwich size stack.

Alternatively... When was his plane supposed to leave? Was he just gonna leave all those until after Christmas if this didn't happen?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I AM DOING WORK LOOK AT ME DOING THE WORK

...I tweet as I shrink and turn into a corncob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Or all the dems go home and then the GOP goes LOL SYKE and then pass 88 billion worth of wall funding

Wouldn't give them any rope right now, hope those senators aren't flying home