Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Tayter Swift posted:

Second, couldn't you just, like, wrap a chain around a slat, hook the ends to an F-150 and pull the slat down

I would assume they're all connected by concrete underground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

eyebeem posted:

I’m legit tempted to build an actual estimate right now for the insane spike wall, taking into account geographic limitations.

I wonder if I could get a rough number from a steel fabricator.

I have so many other things I could be doing with my Friday.

You should talk to the gofundme guy, I'm sure you can get in on the grift and get him to compensate your time for providing an estimate.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Herstory Begins Now posted:

You can't auger individual holes when they're all 4 inches apart

It’s almost like one of us does this for a living, and it’s not you!

You auger alternating holes, hitting a row of every other hole while another rig sets beams behind you. Then you double back and auger between the beams that have been set.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I wonder if these steel beams could be melted to weaken them. Anyone got some jet fuel? :v:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Trump is getting ratioed on that wall tweet. not even the bots can keep up

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

so the way that republicans are looking at getting out of this jam is by securing "1.6b" of border security funding

you might be thinking "haven't i heard that number before" and yes you have: it's the exact amount of border security funding in the current deal. it comes with a rider that none may be spent on a wall

so the plan republicans are floating is to just claim the new bill is a victory over the old bill and get trump to sign it before fox and friends can read it

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1076257309251325957

you might wind up with an extran $100m of non-wall border security funding in exchange for some democratic priority as a fig leaf or something, but that's just me theorizing

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

for the NOTHING MATTERS DEMS BAD crowd, what's the appeal of posting in this thread or following minute-by-minute political news?

following politics news is what turns one into that.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Z. Autobahn posted:

It's one thing to make predictions, wrong as they are, but it's wholly another to do an "I Told You So" victory dance when literally nothing has happened to validate your point.
Okay. I'm not sure what difference it makes since when the Dems do actually cave on things, such as with DACA, the general response from the DEMS GOOD crowd is to whine that Americans suck and that the Democrats had no other choice. There's no good reason to think that wouldn't be the case here as well so I'm hardly going to hold it against someone jumping the gun a bit.

That said, so far so good! Let's hope it keeps up, and maybe I'll be wrong about the excuses if it doesn't :)

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

for the NOTHING MATTERS DEMS BAD crowd, what's the appeal of posting in this thread or following minute-by-minute political news?
I don't think there's as much crossover of the NOTHING MATTERS and DEMS BAD crowd as you're implying here.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

eyebeem posted:

I’m legit tempted to build an actual estimate right now for the insane spike wall, taking into account geographic limitations.

I'd be interested in seeing it just for fun. Make sure you add a version that's puffed up for the appropriate amount of grift though, because there's no way a contract like this isn't earmarked for one of Trump's buddies to copiously skim from

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

eyebeem posted:

It’s almost like one of us does this for a living, and it’s not you!

You auger alternating holes, hitting a row of every other hole while another rig sets beams behind you. Then you double back and auger between the beams that have been set.

You're right I don't install comical border fences for a living

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

evilweasel posted:

so the way that republicans are looking at getting out of this jam is by securing "1.6b" of border security funding

you might be thinking "haven't i heard that number before" and yes you have: it's the exact amount of border security funding in the current deal. it comes with a rider that none may be spent on a wall

so the plan republicans are floating is to just claim the new bill is a victory over the old bill and get trump to sign it before fox and friends can read it

you might wind up with an extran $100m of non-wall border security funding in exchange for some democratic priority as a fig leaf or something, but that's just me theorizing

LMAO this was actually the most likely outcome: the Republicans get the exact same deal that was offered months ago but they claim it's a victory for no reason and their base eats it up while the rest of the world lets out a weary sigh

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

I don't think there's as much crossover of the NOTHING MATTERS and DEMS BAD crowd as you're implying here.

yea I'll thank you to know that I think dems bad but also that matters greatly :colbert:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

evilweasel posted:

You'd think they'd try and demand enough money to just change that really specific "1.6" number to like "2.1" so instead of "yeah, its the exact same deal the Democrats have been pushing all along" someone has to say "well, its mostly the exact same deal the Democrats have been pushing but they added..." and then people zone out.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
hillary clinton handed the worst president in us history 3 scotus seats. lol. lmao.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

You're right I don't install comical border fences for a living

better watch out, this guy works at the clown store

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Democrats should really just push for more concessions and no wall money. Whatever they do Trump owns this shutdown at this point.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Z. Autobahn posted:

LMAO this was actually the most likely outcome: the Republicans get the exact same deal that was offered months ago but they claim it's a victory for no reason and their base eats it up while the rest of the world lets out a weary sigh

trump will kill it. he wants his stupid loving wall. from what it sounds like its just gonna be money for CBP/border patrol.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://twitter.com/DeeLumenHour/status/1076257731634376704

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
So we get to do the "there's NO WAY this'll pass!" dance until it passes yet again?

"Guys don't worry, they'll never send this to vote. They need over 50. There's no way ok but keep in mind this is just to send it to vote so it passing doesn't matter, they don't have the votes to actually pass it, they just don't ok but just because it passed HERE doesn't mean it'll pass THERE so guys relax: they don't have the votes."

*later* "guy's they don't have enough bullets for ALL of us just relax..."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

trump will kill it. he wants his stupid loving wall.

yea the Meadows crowd is gonna gently caress a compromise bill

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Relin posted:

hillary clinton handed the worst president in us history 3 scotus seats. lol. lmao.

Did RBG die when I wasn't looking?

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

For the love of god please keep looking at her.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

InsertPotPun posted:

So we get to do the "there's NO WAY this'll pass!" dance until it passes yet again?

"Guys don't worry, they'll never send this to vote. They need over 50. There's no way ok but keep in mind this is just to send it to vote so it passing doesn't matter, they don't have the votes to actually pass it, they just don't ok but just because it passed HERE doesn't mean it'll pass THERE so guys relax: they don't have the votes."

I mean they literally said they don't have the votes but ok.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

an 80-whatever year old who just lost a major hung of lung is not gonna be around long my dude

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

She had lung surgery to remove “growths” today.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

yea the Meadows crowd is gonna gently caress a compromise bill

Well if it drags into January and the dems get seated the wall becomes even more of a mathematical impossibility.
It's awesome because if this was anything even remotely meaningful the republicans would fall in line but they are forced to break from Trump on this and he will never forgive any of them for it

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Democrats held up over Republicans so someone needed a new way to deflect the attention to "lol dems".

Its almost like its an obvious agenda.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
You don't even need a ladder to climb the great Steel Slat Barrier, anyone with some climbing experience can hand and foot jam right up the cracks (the spikes don't matter either):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4EzbCLfUkc

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I hope the Dem's strategy is "You can have literally all the disaster relief money you want but the 1.6 doesn't get altered by one loving dime."

I really want Republicans to have to go back to Hurricane Alley and tell the voters they're shutting down the government AND refusing billions to help their states because Wall Money.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1076166609407000576?s=20

This basically sum up their strategy

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

STAC Goat posted:

Democrats held up over Republicans so someone needed a new way to deflect the attention to "lol dems".

Its almost like its an obvious agenda.

oh do tell what the agenda is

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

the wall is loving done, at this point they are basically trying to do their original deal(1.6B for standard border poo poo) plus disaster money.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

eyebeem posted:

also you can't forget that big chunks of it will require eminent domain and thus years-long legal battles

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
https://twitter.com/scottwongDC/status/1076260149424205824?s=20

I think this basically guarantees a shutdown

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

InsertPotPun posted:

Literally all of this thread expected it to get to vote and then die because it needs 60. The procedural moment was a blip and even then most of the thread expected the predictable flips to flip.

Like, I can get that you're loving dumb and assume THE REPUBLICANS AWAYS WIN in a world where they lost 40 seats and the ACA repeal died the most embarrassing way possible, but like, actively misrepresenting what people said like an hour ago just to do some dumb smug gloat should be bannable. This exact outcome is exactly what everyone's been saying would happen. There's no goalpost moving. This is where it dies and where it has been always clear it would die, jesus christ.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the wall is loving done, at this point they are basically trying to do their original deal(1.6B for standard border poo poo) plus disaster money.

The previous version had disaster money

They're literally talking about the same bill

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

The previous version had disaster money

They're literally talking about the same bill

poo poo, didn't know. sorry.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That seems like it ought to be a pretty bad look for them but... eh.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
im not voting for any wall that doesn't have electrified razor spikes on the top, those spikes in the image were passe 1200 years ago

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

That seems like it ought to be a pretty bad look for them but... eh.

Sometimes there is just no more down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

im not voting for any wall that doesn't have electrified razor spikes on the top, those spikes in the image were passe 1200 years ago

Electrified spikes powered by CLEAN COAL!