Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So minor spoiler question I guess but Did David Pro cut out Bruno and naracia's stand cries or do those just not happen until later? I could have sworn the Little Feet fight had one VOLARE VIA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I have to wonder how Passione recruits new Stand Users without Polpo.

Find a different elaborate way to stab someone with their in-house Stand arrow? Polpo didn't deliver much other than presentation and aesthetics, and that's surely not a scarce resource in JoJo Naples.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So minor spoiler question I guess but Did David Pro cut out Bruno and naracia's stand cries or do those just not happen until later? I could have sworn the Little Feet fight had one VOLARE VIA!

they happen later

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

so uh, how do you write around a Stand that murders everything with a horrible virus? This situation seems very specifically tailored so that Fugos stand doesn't seem as horribly broken

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
How do you write around a Stand that can just create and control infinite fire? Or delete space and seemingly wipe people from existence? Or rewrite what people are capable of, seemingly forever?

Purple Haze is very powerful, yes, but it's not the first and arguably not even the most ridiculously overpowered.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
An empty dream
A selfish, horrific vision
Passed on like the deadliest of viruses

pacmania90
May 31, 2010
So what happens if Giorno moves something with Gold Experience into the same spot that Illuso is occupying in the mirror world, then cancels his ability?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

pacmania90 posted:

So what happens if Giorno moves something with Gold Experience into the same spot that Illuso is occupying in the mirror world, then cancels his ability?

I would assume it would not work but I am not sure.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Purple Haze is limited by the fact that its user doesn't want to use it because it's so dangerous and difficult to control. The thing stopping it from being overpowered is that it'll kill you and all your friends as well.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Purple Haze has a short range with its virus, so even stuff like Sex Pistols would be an issue for it because you can get sniped from far away. Also, as pointed out, you can't use it near yourself or friends, so being really close to the user would be an issue as well.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Imagine how embarrassing that would be, getting killed by your own stand.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm pretty certain that fugo is immune to his own stand, otherwise there's literally no situation where he'd be able to use it

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
How many times did Hol Horse get hit by his own bullets? That embarrassing.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Sometimes I wonder about the kind of experimentation it takes for someone to figure out their own Stand power and limitations. Your basic Punch Ghost or Fire Chicken is fairly straightforward. Sometimes you get a Stand who talks and they'll just tell you what's up. Then you have this piece of work. I suspect the learning curve for Purple Haze was pretty, uh, corpse-y.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm pretty certain that fugo is immune to his own stand, otherwise there's literally no situation where he'd be able to use it

He wouldn't be alone there, just saying.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Electric Phantasm posted:

Imagine how embarrassing that would be, getting killed by your own stand.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Johnny Joestar posted:

Long as he keeps it at near it's max range he should be able to avoid getting murdered. 5 Meters is actually quite a bit.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
My question is less whether or not Fugo's immune. It's more if Fugo knows if he's immune. There is no good way to find this out.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

YggiDee posted:

My question is less whether or not Fugo's immune. It's more if Fugo knows if he's immune. There is no good way to find this out.

Good point I doubt he would ever try to find out.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

YggiDee posted:

Sometimes I wonder about the kind of experimentation it takes for someone to figure out their own Stand power and limitations. Your basic Punch Ghost or Fire Chicken is fairly straightforward. Sometimes you get a Stand who talks and they'll just tell you what's up. Then you have this piece of work. I suspect the learning curve for Purple Haze was pretty, uh, corpse-y.

I think most of it is instinct. They might need to experiment to work out the finer details(Dio and Jotaro not knowing they can stop time, Giorno not knowing what happens when Gold Experience punches someone) but they generally know how to use it as soon as they get it. Koichi is an exception due to how he got his stand.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 22, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I wonder what it was like when Fugo first summoned his Stand. :ohdear:

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

More seriously, this episode gives us an interesting character development. Giorno has kinda been acting like this noble valiant guy, sacrificing himself so Abbacchio and Bruno can beat Zucchero, but he could also pretty much guarantee Abbacchio would solve the mystery at least for Bruno's sake. He reveals he can turn stuff into living stuff when he volunteers to go to Capri, which is a show of goodwill (and/or gently caress you abbacchio I'm confident enough to show you my stand and also I'm a good guy). He's good at reading people (which weirds the others out how his predictions seemingly always come true) and diffusing situations, like making Narancia feel better about setting a street on fire. And now he is nobly refusing to put their objective before their comrade.

But then when Giorno asks about Purple Haze's range and Abbacchio answers 'about five meters, so Fugo should be around here somewhere' Giorno is like 'ok cool but I meant the virus.' I'm really liking his straight-faced inscrutable Jotaro vibe, like "is he seriously writing out like a receipt like he thinks its cool or is jotaro just messing with him"

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

godamn fugo's backstory is the most depressing of any jobro so far

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I like how they're adding more interaction bits, something that manga readers have craved, and then putting in or reinforcing characterization in those bits. Like with the van. Things are either established or reinforced in the span of a few minutes.

Giorno, when he isn't focused on doing something in particular, defaults to politeness and doesn't think to say something until they pass the turn and then says, "oh we should have turned right." Fugo gets mad and yells at him and Giorno just apologizes because given his past, of course he does. That doesn't help but Abbacchio would rather get this over and done and doesn't have time for this so he stops Fugo because he completely blows up.

It's also establishing a later scene because Fugo's right. If Giorno notices something being done wrong, he should correct them right away instead of waiting until it's too late. And he does, to Abbacchio.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Wasn't Cheap Trick one of those autonomus stands and this guy was just another victim not the actual user?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Kikas posted:

Wasn't Cheap Trick one of those autonomus stands and this guy was just another victim not the actual user?

No, he was the original “user”. That didn’t stop Cheap Trick from killing him though.

EDIT: Well, he was a victim in the sense that he wasn’t trying to kill anyone. Rohan only saw his back because he was tricked.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 22, 2018

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Somewhere theres an alternate version of this part where they just walk past the mirror without looking at it and Illuso is left just standing there awkwardly.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Also with regards to his past, the outburst Fugo had at his university teacher was IMO a very reasonable reaction.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kikas posted:

Also with regards to his past, the outburst Fugo had at his university teacher was IMO a very reasonable reaction.
I expect Fugo's told nobody about what his actual motive was. Possibly Bruno?

But otherwise it just looks like he went apeshit and beat a professor to death for no reason.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nessus posted:

I expect Fugo's told nobody about what his actual motive was. Possibly Bruno?

But otherwise it just looks like he went apeshit and beat a professor to death for no reason.

He probably did tell people, and they didn't believe him, given the whispering as he was led out.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Nephthys posted:

Somewhere theres an alternate version of this part where they just walk past the mirror without looking at it and Illuso is left just standing there awkwardly.

There is no possible timeline where anyone from Part 5 would walk past a mirror without looking at it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
It's like how in Part 3 Mariah's plan required someone of the group to be stupid enough to touch an outlet.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Tunahead posted:

There is no possible timeline where anyone from Part 5 would walk past a mirror without looking at it.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Momomo posted:

It's like how in Part 3 Mariah's plan required someone of the group to be stupid enough to touch an outlet.
the Stardust Crusaders were collectively very stupid and hey that outlet was on a rock in the desert

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tunahead posted:

Including Polpo.

Especially Polpo.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I love that it's just a regular rear end mirror he bought at a store and brought to the ruins.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

so did araki forget that stands not having mirror worlds is a key part of the hanged man fight?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Hanged Man not actually being in a mirror world doesn't mean one doesn't exist. Kakyoin was either straight up wrong about there not being one, or Man In The Mirror created the concept when it was awakened.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

There's a reason Kakyoin is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

DrManiac posted:

so did araki forget that stands not having mirror worlds is a key part of the hanged man fight?

I assumed it was a deliberate jokey callback. Like Superfly being a tower because Tower of Gray was a fly.