Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

On the bright side, this world seems to have completely failed to write any treaties or protocols articulating what constitutes humanitarian treatment in war, so we are only war criminals in the normative sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

catlord posted:

It's the justification for Stellaris: everybody else realises that abandoning Earth to Al-Andalus is probably the only way to ensure humanity's continued survival, and so we become the world government by default.

You know drat well that Morocco would rather destroy the planet than let us win.

And the feeling is assuredly mutual. :colbert:

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

They might exile us offworld though, that I could buy

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Let them eat dates?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Staltran posted:

It's to be expected in a bloody civil war, really. Or any war, but no one makes a big deal of millions of people starving in the Thirty Years War. Besides

so the fascists were deliberately starving northern Iberia. Yes, the communists could have just rolled over and not redirected food to the army (with the fascists likely winning the war soon after) and the famine wouldn't have been as bad, but condemning not doing so as a war crime seems a bit dubious. Especially if you treat the fascists as somehow blameless in this, like the guy comparing it to the Holodomor and talking about how the fascists in Iberia didn't commit genocide.

It's less the Holodomor and more the 1921-22 famine that was mostly a result of 7 years of world war and revolution and civil war destroying the Russian economy and also what scarce food was available all being redirected to the various armies involved.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

I saw my share of people whiteknighting totalitarian communist regimes, but usually those regimes actually existed. It rarely happens that people bother to defend the honor of an imaginary dictator and point out that maybe he starved some imaginary people, but at least defeated some imaginary fascists.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

win or lose, i hope there are some international war crime tribunals at the end of this debacle

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

Gantolandon posted:

I saw my share of people whiteknighting totalitarian communist regimes, but usually those regimes actually existed. It rarely happens that people bother to defend the honor of an imaginary dictator and point out that maybe he starved some imaginary people, but at least defeated some imaginary fascists.

I wonder how you say Kulak in Andalusi?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
Dunno about international tribunals, but apparently there was a world cup in the completely-occupied Ibriz at the height of the Great War -

should probably add a couple triggers for that event.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Hashim posted:

Dunno about international tribunals, but apparently there was a world cup in the completely-occupied Ibriz at the height of the Great War -
Football knows no limits, not even a hellworld.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
If a player takes a dive, they better be actually shot or gassd.

Or else :commissar:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I know the flavor text says otherwise but I want to believe that New England is the host country and they chose to hold it in occupied Ibriz just to style on everyone

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Pakled posted:

I know the flavor text says otherwise but I want to believe that New England is the host country and they chose to hold it in occupied Ibriz just to style on everyone

Ibriz being the host country, and Novanglo troops and dignitaries allowing the Cup to proceed but being present on every street corner just to throw their weight around, is also pretty good imo.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Gantolandon posted:

I saw my share of people whiteknighting totalitarian fascist regimes, but usually those regimes actually existed. It rarely happens that people bother to defend the honor of an imaginary fascist coup and point out that maybe they terrorized, brutalized, and murdered some imaginary people, but at least they were doing it to fight some imaginary communists.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Gantolandon posted:

People always get attached to the country that's being played.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Gantolandon posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna have to point out that rebel whack-a-mole and the whole colonialism/Khedive business are things beyond our control because they are either in game systems or party limits and penalties set up by Hashim. Fighting the facists, on the other hand, was a thread vote, so it should not surprise you that people are gonna defend that position, in the same vein that people defended the m̶o̶d̶e̶r̶n̶i̶z̶e̶r̶s̶ moderates, liberals, and even the monarchists, that one time they got elected. Also, it's 2018

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can't wait for us to win the World Cup, our only victory as our entire country is burned to the ground by the victorious powers in the great war

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

GSD posted:

I can't wait for us to win the World Cup, our only victory as our entire country is burned to the ground by the victorious powers in the great war

future historians will attribute the unusually harsh terms of this war's peace treaty to the iberian union;'s upset victory over morocco in the finals

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 21, 2018

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

the benin team would be rad

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I like that this game's version of the Christmas Truce is an officially sanctioned international grudge match held in the rotting carcass of a defeated power.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Dance Officer posted:

"Starving millions to death is not worth remarking on"

-SA, 2018

R. Guyovitch is posting in lets play now?

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

How widespread is tank use at this point? I'm kind of bemused at the thought of future wehraboos insisting that Dual-Monarchy armor was actually superior and the Beninese merely employed the dastardly tactic of proper logistics or something.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Which came first, Andalusi tanks or Andalusi tankies?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Grammarchist posted:

How widespread is tank use at this point? I'm kind of bemused at the thought of future wehraboos insisting that Dual-Monarchy armor was actually superior and the Beninese merely employed the dastardly tactic of proper logistics or something.

It's still just the early 20's so I assume we're talking at best some Whippets and Renault FT's filling in for cavalry while a handful of not-Mark IV's are mixed in with infantry, not WWII-era tanks and the associated mass armor tactics.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I know it's probably not modeled at all in-game, but every country had really wildly different tanks. The dinky renault, the sci-fi Mark V, and the godforsaken beetle that the Germans had.

Inspired by Benin's efforts, Al Andalus develops the Tsar tank.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Grammarchist posted:

Not that widespread, but Benin has a bunch, and Morocco and Russia have a few as well. We're recruiting around 20 tank regiments at the moment, which I might send south to aid in the Beninese advance on Marrakesh.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Hashim posted:

Not that widespread, but Benin has a bunch, and Morocco and Russia have a few as well. We're recruiting around 20 tank regiments at the moment, which I might send south to aid in the Beninese advance on Marrakesh.

I thought our navy got wiped out. Did I miss something?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Flavius Aetass posted:

I thought our navy got wiped out. Did I miss something?

Yeah it was, but vicky AI also sucks, so they're bound to leave the straits unguarded at some point. The drawback is that we might get stuck in Africa, which wouldn't be great if things went south down there.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Good thing that's never happened before :v:

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Crazycryodude posted:

It's still just the early 20's so I assume we're talking at best some Whippets and Renault FT's filling in for cavalry while a handful of not-Mark IV's are mixed in with infantry, not WWII-era tanks and the associated mass armor tactics.

You vastly underestimate our Benin allies.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
It's beautiful.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Ikasuhito posted:

You vastly underestimate our Benin allies.

I love how Benin have become the heroes of the LP because we've become such unambiguous villains. Go Benin! I'd say we should play as them instead, but we'd probably just ruin them.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Iberian literature is probably dark as poo poo. Were more Russian than this timelines Russia lmao

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

I was about to say "at least we've largely avoided ethnic and religious purges" but then I remembered the time that the Mahdi took over a tremendous chunk of the heartland :smith:

Red John
Jul 12, 2018
I say we swap to Benin, so we can make arbitrary decisions and ruin them just like we’ve done with al Andalus

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I look forward to the vote for which smoldering crater partitioned off the late Al-Andalus Hashim will take control of for the final decade of the game.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Super Jay Mann posted:

I look forward to the vote for which smoldering crater partitioned off the late Al-Andalus Hashim will take control of for the final decade of the game.

The one centered around Qadis obviously.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

I have to imagine Morocco isn't going to want a strong state in southern Iberia. I think the most likely thing for Qadis is becoming a city-state under under Moroccan protection (with Morocco occupying Jabal Tariq) or an international city.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

qadis will be the one that's literally hitler

literally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

I love how Benin have become the heroes of the LP because we've become such unambiguous villains. Go Benin! I'd say we should play as them instead, but we'd probably just ruin them.

I was roleplaying as a bad guy when I was all about the Taifas. Killing monarchs and aristocrats is a moral act.