Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

beanieson posted:

jeep wrangler

Don't you put that evil on me

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I judge the charger and challenger as the same thing mainly because I can’t remember which is which.

Sadly I understand where you're coming from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Tremek posted:

Uh... Now that the ATS is dead, is there even a single same-model coupe/sedan in production?

I don't see many E9x cars being PDI'd at my local BMW stealer these days either. While I don't currently have time to car game this poo poo I'd love to see for example any 3 GM letter-body cars that anyone is convinced looks better as a sedan than a coupe though.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

beanieson posted:

jeep wrangler
I'm calling the police

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I need to ditch the run flats on my 135i & I live in south Louisiana so I can run a summer tire pretty much all year long. Help me AI you’re my only hope.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I'm gonna guess I have an intake boot leak but lmfao

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

beanieson posted:

I need to ditch the run flats on my 135i & I live in south Louisiana so I can run a summer tire pretty much all year long. Help me AI you’re my only hope.

Pilot Sport 4S forever and ever amen.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Somewhat Heroic posted:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Waffle House posted:

I'm gonna guess I have an intake boot leak but lmfao

Set it on fire and be done, and by that I mean smoke test the thing because a most of those codes could be from a massive vac leak / few small ones

edit

Somewhat Heroic posted:

or Firehawk 500 for like half the price, if you're budget conscious

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 22, 2018

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Continental Extreme Contact Sport. Just as good as the Michelins for 2/3s the price.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Seriously. This is no time to gently caress around. Nearly three of us hang on most of your every words. Firehawks? PS4Ses? Continentals for breakfast? How do we decide, gently caress.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I had Conti Sport Contact 2 on my 325, they were decent, but wore out very quickly, and developed really uneven wear. (The first set came with the car, and I foolishly bought a replacement set. Who puts these on a 325???)

I had Michelin Pilot Super Sports (predecessor to Pilot 4S) on my 328, and they were amazing. Great grip, wore very well for sporty tires, and didn't feel or behave off when cords showed on the inside (thanks dealer for excessive camber). Bought a second set, and traded the car in a few months later when the heat exchanger went.

I have some Bridgestone Potenza thing on my 335, and am so apathetic about them that this summer I didn't even put summers on, just left the all seasons on instead. I need to put them on asap this spring to finish wearing them out for some Pilot 4S action.

Going from a 328 with great tires to a 335 with mediocre ones is and interesting change! "I didn't know you could break loose here" was said a fair bit.

Buy the Michelins.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Thanks goons. This car isn’t a daily driver and only sees about 2500 miles a year if that makes any difference. Gonna try to get this done in January, as the OEM run flats are now at least 6 years old.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I don't even own them (yet) cause my e46 came with brand new cheapo tires that I'm still working through, but I can already tell you everyone is gonna suggest Pilot Sports.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I want Pilot Sport 4s but I can only afford to get new rears at the moment and I heard it's bad to have different tread patterns on the front and back. And they don't sell super sports anymore.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Dadliest Worrier posted:

Seriously. This is no time to gently caress around. Nearly three of us hang on most of your every words. Firehawks? PS4Ses? Continentals for breakfast? How do we decide, gently caress.

Pick a price and understand that money doesn't buy more grip above a certain price (and mostly goes downhill from there), it mostly buys a quieter tire and brand name

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

2500mi a year is lean for any Michelin PS-whatever. They don't like to sit.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

NumbersMatching320 posted:

2500mi a year is lean for any Michelin PS-whatever. They don't like to sit.

You’re saying I’ll have to drive more?

:hmmyes:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

beanieson posted:

You’re saying I’ll have to drive more?

:hmmyes:

I'll note that burnouts are also an excellent way to keep your tires fresh, but also do that.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Of the burnouts posted in this thread, 100% of them are on Michelins.

Also no other tire manufacturer also rates the world's finest restaurants, so I think it's checkmate - Michelin. I do maybe 4k miles a year and that's sufficient to keep them round, and the set I have now are getting close to replacement but not yet at around 17k miles.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Jesus it is hard to find an e92 xi in stick that hasn't been abused. Thought I found a good one at ~100k miles then ran a carfax, which is when I discovered the guy neglected to tell me it had hit a deer and a bunch of the panels got repainted.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Clean, lowish mileage E30 M3's sell at that price all day long without restoration. To rebuild S14 blocks is like a $15K built or something these days. NitroSpazzz would probably know what the current costs are better than anyone else.
On that topic, https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-bmw-s14b23-engine-gearbox/

e: and, iirc, this is a goon
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2003-bmw-m3-coupe-53/

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 23, 2018

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Mine was sending off a set of Conti’s that were on the car when I got it (and replaced with the brand new PS4S). The biggest shock which was mentioned in a way previously was how much traction control was inhibiting my fun before the new tires. My 1-2 shift in full bang on the DCT was like getting punched in the back of the head; totally different from before.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

gonna burn the gently caress outta these run flats just before replacing them

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Mine was sending off a set of Conti’s that were on the car when I got it (and replaced with the brand new PS4S). The biggest shock which was mentioned in a way previously was how much traction control was inhibiting my fun before the new tires. My 1-2 shift in full bang on the DCT was like getting punched in the back of the head; totally different from before.

Ah right. RIP those Contis...

1-2-3 are all fun like that. Getting fully loose in a straight line on a very hard 2-3 shift is really excellent too if you gauge it just right. The best for new passengers is doing a pretty easy climb up to the very top of 1, then easing it into 2 gently, but then quickly rolling onto full throttle as 2 takes off like a rocketship.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Jesus it is hard to find an e92 xi in stick that hasn't been abused. Thought I found a good one at ~100k miles then ran a carfax, which is when I discovered the guy neglected to tell me it had hit a deer and a bunch of the panels got repainted.

This is my current hell as I burn through money on cheap rental cars. I'm also enjoying the e92 335s I keep coming aross where owners/dealers are demanding solid $4k premiums for 6-speeds and oh also the car has been sitting on the lot for like half a year because their pricing is insane.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

This is my current hell as I burn through money on cheap rental cars. I'm also enjoying the e92 335s I keep coming aross where owners/dealers are demanding solid $4k premiums for 6-speeds and oh also the car has been sitting on the lot for like half a year because their pricing is insane.
:whatup:

Doesn't the 335 have loads of engine issues the 328 doesn't? That's why I've been looking at 328s instead.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Ether Frenzy posted:

Also no other tire manufacturer also rates the world's finest restaurants, so I think it's checkmate - Michelin. I do maybe 4k miles a year and that's sufficient to keep them round, and the set I have now are getting close to replacement but not yet at around 17k miles.

I've submitted over a hundred tires to Michelin for warranty over weather checking in an infrequent use application in the last six months, and while the XTE is obviously not a fair comparison to the PS4 I can tell you I've seen many thousands of their tires in every market segment they produce rubber for with checking issues. It's a common thing and it's greatly exacerbated by sitting stationary.

I also hate Conti but the bulk of my complaints there are specific to their 22.5s so I'll reserve comment there. Your comment about restaurants is absurd though, by that logic we should all run Nokians because of the Nokia 3310.

I'll make sure there's a Kumho burnout posted here in the spring though.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 23, 2018

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

:whatup:

Doesn't the 335 have loads of engine issues the 328 doesn't? That's why I've been looking at 328s instead.

Not really. The early 335s had some issues with the high pressure fuel pump, but the warranty was extended, and it was revised. I mean, you want to make sure a used 335 wasn't hosed with, like cranking the boost up a ton, but it shouldn't be disproportionately more maintenance / concerning.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

A turbo motor is still just generally more complicated with more possible points of failure than an NA motor, though.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Sure, but it doesn't necessarily have "loads" more issues. The N52 isn't exactly simple, or without it's own foibles. I mean I liked it a lot, but the lifter clatter is... interesting.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Everything is a turbo now. We are all turbros.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Cojawfee posted:

human turbopede

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
^^^lmao

Cojawfee posted:

Turbosexual

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Guinness posted:

A turbo motor is still just generally more complicated with more possible points of failure than an NA motor, though.

So it seems we’re agreed: buy NA M3’s. Stop wasting time with the 335 and 328

LMAO

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

So it seems we’re agreed: buy NA M3’s. Stop wasting time with the 335 and 328

LMAO

Who needs turbos to gently caress up your mojo when you have rod bearings to save up for

Hot take: BMW hasn't made a performance engine without a major Achilles' Heel in 25 years ;/

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
At least they don't have chassis failures like the E36 rtab pockets and E46 racp anymore

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Alarbus posted:

Sure, but it doesn't necessarily have "loads" more issues. The N52 isn't exactly simple, or without it's own foibles. I mean I liked it a lot, but the lifter clatter is... interesting.
Right, and at least I'm looking for N52's, as opposed to the N51 SULEV with its associated problems. I wouldn't mind the extra power of the 335, but yeah, coming from an Audi with two turbos, NA seems like a slightly safer choice.

e: why does this have to be an automatic :gonk: https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/d/boston-2008-bmw-335xi-18-miles/6772129691.html

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

NumbersMatching320 posted:

Your comment about restaurants is absurd though,
:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)