Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

The Bananana posted:

Could I get some tips and tricks or a walkthrough, even, for a beginner for making Tamales?

Find an abuela. Be suspicious of any tamale process that does not use an abuela. Do not substitute anything for the abuela.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

pile of brown posted:

Find an abuela. Be suspicious of any tamale process that does not use an abuela. Do not substitute anything for the abuela.

Teach a man to make tamales, and he'll probably make them once. Introduce him to an abuela, and he'll get free tamales at random times for the rest of his life.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Bollock Monkey posted:

Chunks of sweet potato are great in veggie chilli. Put them with tahini and yoghurt. Make mash and have them with red onion gravy and spicy bangers. Bake, cut into chunks, salt and paprika then have that with some chorizo and padron peppers for tapas tea.

Sweet potatoes and chickpeas are a good combo for curries.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Teach a man to make tamales, and he'll probably make them once. Introduce him to an abuela, and he'll get free tamales at random times for the rest of his life.

Even when he doesn't want them.

Especially when he's full because he's already had a bunch of other free tamales.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll take your extra tamales. gently caress, now I want tamales.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

A corollary to this is if you give free firewood to an old Philippina widow, you will receive free fried noodle dishes, but you will also become the neighborhood go-to guy for everything the old ladies of the neighborhood wish their grandsons were around to do. Which may lead to baked goods.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I have this, it's delicious. How long will it last once opened? There's no instructions on storage on the jar. I also don't know whether to store it in the fridge or the pantry cupboard.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Qubee posted:

I have this, it's delicious. How long will it last once opened? There's no instructions on storage on the jar. I also don't know whether to store it in the fridge or the pantry cupboard.

In the fridge, and more or less forever.

caveat: If it starts to smell funny, or look funny, then don't eat it! But if it's got vinegar in it, then chances are it's acidic enough to retard any harmful bacterial growth for a long, long time. Keeping it in the fridges puts the kibosh on wild yeasts, which don't mind acid at all.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Doom Rooster posted:

Almond extract is STRONG though, so even if you are subbing, please god sub at like 25%.

Alternatively, use amaretto :yum:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The Bananana posted:

Could I get some tips and tricks or a walkthrough, even, for a beginner for making Tamales?

Watch out not to overfill the tamale, they can puff up and flow out the opened side. You probably want like 1-2 cm of headspace.

It seems like every recipe ties them but I never did and they always came out fine for me.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

therobit posted:

A corollary to this is if you give free firewood to an old Philippina widow, you will receive free fried noodle dishes, but you will also become the neighborhood go-to guy for everything the old ladies of the neighborhood wish their grandsons were around to do. Which may lead to baked goods.

My father learned this on Maui. He'd go visit his mother-in-law before she passed and would do all the chores around the house. This in itself isn’t enough to bring out the local old lady contingent. The real fattening was when he started to fix something. Oh, that door squeaks? Quick grease and it’s good. Oh, kalua pork? Thanks. What’s that, Mrs. Kamahanahokula'i'i'e(name changed to something more easily pronounced to protect their identity) needs a faucet to stop leaking? Done! More poi? You shouldn’t have. Where did all of this spam musabi come from?

I helped my cousin's mom with some computer stuff recently and she gave me one of those magic mice from apple. Thing was like $80 new and it just needed a corrosive battery cleaned out before it worked perfectly.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Okay, so I've been making my own corn tortillas for years and years. I love em. They come out great. Lately I've been buying the store bought ones just because of time crunch and toasting them in a cast iron griddle coated with oil.

I used the storebought ones for tacos I made for some folks tonight and the tortillas themselves were not a hit because I didn't do it right. They said I'm supposed to quickly dunk them in a bowl of water before tossing them into the pan.

I have never, ever heard of this in my life - have I been missing a CRITICAL STEP to TORTILLAS this whole time?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I bought some kind of crazy-level salted black licorice to get here by Christmas and I'm the only one who will eat it.

Pity me. Envy me.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Tom Gorman posted:

Okay, so I've been making my own corn tortillas for years and years. I love em. They come out great. Lately I've been buying the store bought ones just because of time crunch and toasting them in a cast iron griddle coated with oil.

I used the storebought ones for tacos I made for some folks tonight and the tortillas themselves were not a hit because I didn't do it right. They said I'm supposed to quickly dunk them in a bowl of water before tossing them into the pan.

I have never, ever heard of this in my life - have I been missing a CRITICAL STEP to TORTILLAS this whole time?

That's one way to refresh stale corn tortillas, but it's not necessary. I prefer to just steam my tortillas in a bamboo steamer if they're older. All you're doing is rehydrating the starches so they don't get tough. But if they were fresh? I think maybe you had some tortilla snobs on hand because even days old store bought tortillas taste just fine if you toast them in a hot pan.

e: serious eats opinion: https://www.seriouseats.com/2011/10/video-the-right-way-to-warm-corn-tortillas.html

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 22, 2018

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I've got like 5 lbs of marinated steak tips I need to bring to a Christmas pot luck thing. Any ideas on the best way to cook these indoors, since I don't want to deal with the grill in winter.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I've got like 5 lbs of marinated steak tips I need to bring to a Christmas pot luck thing. Any ideas on the best way to cook these indoors, since I don't want to deal with the grill in winter.

Can you treat them like stew meat? Sear 'em off and chuck 'em in a crock pot with some onions? Did you have a dish in mind?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Not really looking for a dish per se, more just an indoor alternative to grilling them. Ordinarily I'd just load the grill up and do it that way.

They already have a lot of flavor, just need to get them cooked. Would the oven with a baking rack be a dumb idea? They are a little big to pan fry.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

any bread recipes you guys love? I want to make a sourdough, but I don't have a starter, and I want something to make today. I'm tired of the same old white loaf, I was thinking focaccia? I love granary bread / seeded bread too.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Big Beef City posted:

I bought some kind of crazy-level salted black licorice to get here by Christmas and I'm the only one who will eat it.

Pity me. Envy me.

Salmiakki and similar are incredibly jarring the first time, but they grow on you, I've found. Tyrkisk peber on the other hand can gently caress right off.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Qubee posted:

any bread recipes you guys love? I want to make a sourdough, but I don't have a starter, and I want something to make today. I'm tired of the same old white loaf, I was thinking focaccia? I love granary bread / seeded bread too.

This is what I use for focaccia, it's simple and solid.

https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/focaccia_08389

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Big Beef City posted:

Pity me. Envy me.

I just go to the store to get some OP

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Not really looking for a dish per se, more just an indoor alternative to grilling them. Ordinarily I'd just load the grill up and do it that way.

They already have a lot of flavor, just need to get them cooked. Would the oven with a baking rack be a dumb idea? They are a little big to pan fry.

I always keep steak tips super rare and just cook on high heat for short time to crisp the outside.

Maybe just toss them under the broiler for a couple mins, take out and flip over, repeat then let rest.

You're gonna get some smoke though.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

spankmeister posted:

I just go to the store to get some OP

I wish I could.
I've had it several times before through just...chance I guess I but I literally cannot find it here despite trying very hard to find it so I caved in and bought some stuff through amazon that had a lot of good reviews.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Doing a bone in prime rib for Christmas tomorrow. It’s been sitting in the fridge unwrapped since yesterday.

Two questions:

Should I season it now? It’s going in the oven in about 20 hours. Would it have been “better” to do it yesterday?

How long is this fucker gonna take? I did a practice one last week that was 5.5lbs, it took almost 3 hours at 225. This one is 8.5lbs so I am thinking it’s going to take 4? I wanted to try 200 this time but I don’t want to put it in at 630am when dinner is at 1:30.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

You should have salted it two days ago already :v:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Bob Morales posted:

Christmas tomorrow

:thunk:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

A friend of mine has just suggested roasting potatoes in butter, and while my instant reaction was “that’s wrong”, I can’t really articulate why.

To my mind, crunchy roast potatoes can only be achieved with rendered animal fat or an oil, and butter is just incorrect, but I wonder if that’s accurate?

If pushed, I’d say that I suspect that the water content of butter makes it unsuitable for roasting potatoes, but surely that would all evaporate anyway?

Is there a real reason not to use butter, or am I just prejudiced against it with no justification?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It will probably work it's just not as good as animal fat

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

Scientastic posted:

If pushed, I’d say that I suspect that the water content of butter makes it unsuitable for roasting potatoes, but surely that would all evaporate anyway?

I feel like this has to be it. Before the water evaporates you're not roasting so it's a waste of time/might do something bad? I think ghee would work great though

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bob Morales posted:

Doing a bone in prime rib for Christmas tomorrow. It’s been sitting in the fridge unwrapped since yesterday.

Two questions:

Should I season it now? It’s going in the oven in about 20 hours. Would it have been “better” to do it yesterday?

How long is this fucker gonna take? I did a practice one last week that was 5.5lbs, it took almost 3 hours at 225. This one is 8.5lbs so I am thinking it’s going to take 4? I wanted to try 200 this time but I don’t want to put it in at 630am when dinner is at 1:30.
Season it now, yes. I got my roast (4 ribs-9.5#, and the butcher gave me some extra chunks of fat so I'll have plenty of dripping for my Yorkshire puddings and gravy!) yesterday and salted it heavily and left it on a rack in the fridge to be cooked Tuesday. I didn't used to season it that far ahead and it was always still good, but its worth doing if you have the time.

I've always used the recipe out of my grandmother's copy of the The Gourmet Cookbook, Vol II which says to season the roast with salt (pretend you didn't already salt it and you'll be fine. Beef loves salt and pepper) and plenty of pepper and brown the roast for 20 minutes in a very hot (450) over for 20 minutes. Then lower the heat to 350 and continue to roast for 10-12 min/lb for rare, 15 min/lb for medium, and 18 min/lb for garbage well done roasts. I think current food science would tell you to cook it low first and then raise the heat to brown it, but doing the 450 first gets the house smelling like roast beast sooner and that is worth something. For medium-rare I take it out at 120-125F internal temp and let carry over heat do the rest. Sometimes the outside 3/4" or so gets a little more well done even with resting, but that's where all the good fat is and it can take the heat and is good crunchy. I let it rest a good half hour while I do the gravy and Yorkshire pudding and it is always still plenty hot.

Make your gravy with homemade beef stock and those good drippings and flour and plenty of pepper and a good glug or three of Bordeaux and you'll have a good dinner.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Who loving cares if it’s roasting or there’s browning or what. Potatoes cooked balls deep in butter will taste good.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Both my brothers and their families live out of town and everyone has step families to visit and poo poo so we’re doing Christmas at my moms on Sunday.

I took the roast over there yesterday and told her to stick it in the oven at 8:00am because gently caress along up at 730

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Lawnie posted:

Who loving cares if it’s roasting or there’s browning or what. Potatoes cooked balls deep in butter will taste good.

Nice meltdown

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Casu Marzu posted:

Nice meltdown

Delicious meltdown

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've roasted potatoes in butter and they were good and crispy. I haven't done a side by side comparison with other fats or anything but it can be done.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Casu Marzu posted:

Nice meltdown

Yes, melted butter rules

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
The time I roasted sweet potatoes in butter instead of oil was the time everyone raved about them at a potluck so :shrug:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Potato chat:
Do what I do at work and split the difference. I initially toss the potatoes in olive oil (plus garlic, rosemary, s&p), stick 'em in the oven for about 45 minutes. The tops should be nice and brown at this point. Then I pull them, drizzle melted butter on them, stir them around in the pan, and finish them off for another 15-20 minutes. All your taters get evenly browned and have the joyous unctuous flavor of butter. Ta-da!

Common newbie mistake I have to train people on is not to overcrowd the pan. Then the taters will steam, not brown. That's also why I do the mid-cooking stir; some of your guys on the bottom are just not gonna brown unless you flip that poo poo.

Source: I make 75 pounds of roasted potatoes every Sunday for our brunch service

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
Since there's been talk of roasts and whatnot, this is just a blanket reminder that thick, expensive cuts of meat that you're worried about overcooking are one of the reasons sous vide has become popular enough that you can now find immersion circulators in big-box stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I'm trying to make some homemade jello using gelatin. The tin of gelatin says to use 2 teaspoons per 500ml of liquid while a handful of recipes I looked up online say to use 1.5 tablespoons per 500ml of liquid which is just over double the 'official' recommended amount.

I made a test batch last night using 2 teaspoons of gelatin and it has set but only barely. I want to make a couple of large batches (approx. 1500ml of liquid per batch) for Christmas desserts, does anyone have experience making their own jello and can recommend how much gelatin / liquid I should be using?

Can I just scale up from 500ml of liquid & 1.5tbsp of gelatin or do I need to add more / less gelatin as I add more liquid?