Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
having troops in this part of the middle east, deployed in the exact manner i want and doing the exact things i want is going to work out great. they also won't murder civilians and rape them and stuff like that because i said so. look at all the other times it worked out like that:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

nahhh. too busy keeping up with the Kardashians.

lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Well, I guess there is a certain dissonance
- my critique is mainly that the US is not a democracy, and doesn't represent the interests of the people it affects through its policies
- the people posting here already know this, but this is my outlet for getting angry about politics, so you get to read my outbursts even if you find the substance insignificant.

Still, as a non-US citizen I have a right in calling out your hypocrisy, and demanding that you either use your democracy to change your foreign policy, or acknowledge that death to America is the only policy that makes sense.

This central conceit is funniest part about the whole thing when people argue about it, in D&D especially, it's all just talk lol. Totally worthless.

Only one persons opinion matters :smugdon:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Venezuelans are a failed people, now the troops are free to liberate them.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Nonsense posted:

Venezuelans are a failed people, now the troops are free to liberate them.

:chloe:

edit: oh you changed it to be more obviously a joke, jk.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Your fever is definitely loving with you. What I mean about Kirkuk is what happened a year ago after Barzani's independence referendum in Iraqi Kurdistan. The Iraqi Army and Shia militias moved to retake Kirkuk since it's an Arab-majority city and the Peshmerga immediately fled without much of a fight. That's easy. Afrin was not easy no matter how much somebody may want to spin it otherwise, and the YPG in Afrin was much more poorly armed and supplied than Rojava.

This articles of your comparison are so wildly different from each other as to make its attempted image nonsensical.

psychofishhead
Oct 30, 2010

reading this thread as a former YPG volunteer is infuriating. if you think a Turkish invasion of Rojava will go as “well” as Afrin, (“going well” in this case is classified as T-FSA occupiers getting constantly merked everyday by Kurdish guerrillas in the minds of this threads posters I guess) you’re a goddamn moron. also US troops stationed there were definitely a positive. I know it’s cool and edgy to portray them all as a roving band of rapists but all they did was hang out in oil fields and deter invasion from a bunch of smaller psychopaths. pretty much every military operation was done by either Kurds or Arabs in one of the myriad militias in the SDF and they’re definitely not a bunch of psycho baby killers.

In short, kiss my grits noobs.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

also even if turkish invasion would be a terrible idea for turkey is it at all clear that erdogan realizes that?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Muscle Wizard posted:

having troops in this part of the middle east, deployed in the exact manner i want and doing the exact things i want is going to work out great. they also won't murder civilians and rape them and stuff like that because i said so. look at all the other times it worked out like that:

it was working out in this instance already

StashAugustine posted:

also even if turkish invasion would be a terrible idea for turkey is it at all clear that erdogan realizes that?

NO turkish invasion is probably bad for Erdogan, Personally so I'm not sure it really matters whether erdogan realizes that.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Well the argument is:
1 us withdraw means Turkey could invade
2 invasion would be a bloody quagmire anyway
3 therefore turkey won't invade

Even if 2 is correct there's a possibility erdogan miscalculated and starts a bloody quagmire- one the Kurds might win but one that would still cause a lot to death and misery

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Turkey is gonna invade lmao. They are fascist as gently caress, and leaving Rojava on the table is incomprehensible to them.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Trump pulling the US out of all of the middle east is also good for climate change

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Willie Tomg posted:

there are specifically two groups in the world who have proven able to stand up to organized armies fielding well-supplied tank columns and without air support

--the houthis
--ISIS pre-US intervention

the turks aren't just paying mercs like the saudis are, and the kurds themselves are currently occupying ISIS-held majority-arab land. Olive Branch was a slaughter where we hosed the Kurds by denying them US air support (which is the greater part of our aid, the fixation about Boots On The Ground is mostly posturing) just like they're hosed now, and what happens in a couple months will be no different.

You're forgetting some dudes in Lebanon.

But yeah, the SDF seems to be rather low on anti-air stuff and unless the coke sheikh dropped them a container ship full of manpads and bonesaws this hasn't changed and the Turks can fly about ithout a care in the world.

HorrificExistence posted:

Under the most conservative estimates the SDF lost 3 times as many as the TFSA in Afrin. And that was the most fortified part of Rojava.

Which is a worse ratio than Israel's loss in Lebanon. Of course, no one in Turkey cares if their mercs die.

But really, the Kurds have been pretty hosed since the coup in Turkey. Earlier the Turks and Russians were pretty hostile and the latter kept pushing Assad to not be an rear end about the Kurds. Afterwards they kissed and made up and now its open season.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
As an european i'm conflicted.
The Us leaving is good news but the kurds are the only faction in all this mess that seems sympathetic and this places them in a precarious position.
Was there any disposition in the US troops mandate about specifically protecting the kurdish regions? Or was their presence simply incidental ?
Also what are the kurdish options now? It seems that the only course is preparing for a ordained retreat into clandestinity once again.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

It seems that the only course is preparing for a ordained retreat into clandestinity once again.

lmao

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

psychofishhead posted:

reading this thread as a former YPG volunteer is infuriating. if you think a Turkish invasion of Rojava will go as “well” as Afrin, (“going well” in this case is classified as T-FSA occupiers getting constantly merked everyday by Kurdish guerrillas in the minds of this threads posters I guess) you’re a goddamn moron. also US troops stationed there were definitely a positive. I know it’s cool and edgy to portray them all as a roving band of rapists but all they did was hang out in oil fields and deter invasion from a bunch of smaller psychopaths. pretty much every military operation was done by either Kurds or Arabs in one of the myriad militias in the SDF and they’re definitely not a bunch of psycho baby killers.

In short, kiss my grits noobs.

What's gonna happen in Afrin incidentally if Turkey goes ahead with their whole 'to the euphrates and beyond' ottoman ambition? How is the YPG going to ship volunteers in this time?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/carlzha/status/1076427572102160384?s=21

psychofishhead
Oct 30, 2010

Kurnugia posted:

What's gonna happen in Afrin incidentally if Turkey goes ahead with their whole 'to the euphrates and beyond' ottoman ambition? How is the YPG going to ship volunteers in this time?

Probably continue with the turkification of Afrin that we’re seeing now + grappling with a Kurdish insurgency. As long as the PKK/other Kurdish groups still control the other parts of Kurdistan around Rojava and there’s not much Turkish presence, they can still bring in volunteers. I probably shouldn’t say too much though even though it’s mostly an open secret 🤐

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

To be clear i was talking about the kurds, not the Us.
But yeah, with the aid of my broken english, it's probably a laughable sentence.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

north syria is the new crimea

THS
Sep 15, 2017

can we dissolve nato now

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

reignonyourparade posted:

it was working out in this instance already

NO turkish invasion is probably bad for Erdogan, Personally so I'm not sure it really matters whether erdogan realizes that.

we (americans) thought it was working out every other single time we put troops on foreign soil so please forgive me if i'm skeptical about this particular instance.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

my favorite US troops moment is when we stationed a bunch of marines in lebanon

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Muscle Wizard posted:

we (americans) thought it was working out every other single time we put troops on foreign soil so please forgive me if i'm skeptical about this particular instance.

it will be an interesting experiment, for sure

THS
Sep 15, 2017

who is president of america again? i forgot

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Flavahbeast posted:

it will be an interesting experiment, for sure

:jerkbag:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

:jerkbag:

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i get blowing off steam about america in a sympathetic place but you’re like 3 steps behind if you’re theorycrafting the best of all possible worlds where The Troops were staying to protect rojava

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kurnugia posted:

'to the euphrates and beyond' ottoman ambition

it's about time somebody in the region started showing a little ambition

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

steinrokkan posted:

Well, I guess there is a certain dissonance
- my critique is mainly that the US is not a democracy, and doesn't represent the interests of the people it affects through its policies
- the people posting here already know this, but this is my outlet for getting angry about politics, so you get to read my outbursts even if you find the substance insignificant.

Still, as a non-US citizen I have a right in calling out your hypocrisy, and demanding that you either use your democracy to change your foreign policy, or acknowledge that death to America is the only policy that makes sense.

if you're in canada, britain or western europe you're part of the american empire too, bitch

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

if you're in canada, britain or western europe you're part of the american empire too, bitch

Yup, western europe is definitely under the thumb of America. I'm positive in 300 years we'll have maps that shade them in the same color.

People are learning english there at a faster rate than Latin during the Roman empire.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

All First World nations are part of a community that benefits directly from global imperialism. The prosperity of countries like Japan and Sweden depend on the global security regime created by NATO, and how it allows us to extract resources and labor at cut rates.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

psychofishhead posted:

Probably continue with the turkification of Afrin that we’re seeing now + grappling with a Kurdish insurgency. As long as the PKK/other Kurdish groups still control the other parts of Kurdistan around Rojava and there’s not much Turkish presence, they can still bring in volunteers. I probably shouldn’t say too much though even though it’s mostly an open secret 🤐

I'm just saying that imho they gotta get AA missiles in from someone if they wanna hold Rojava, and there aren't too many people with those handy. For export into Rojava anyway.

if you have sum aa missiles for sale btw i got som bearded friends handy howd be rly hard for buy

THS
Sep 15, 2017

ive heard some american military grunts and officers are sentimentally upset about abandoning the kurds, maybe they misplaced some AA equipment before they hoofed it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

psychofishhead posted:

Were you one of the propaganda volunteer westerners who never saw action and probably knows very little

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

All First World nations are part of a community that benefits directly from global imperialism. The prosperity of countries like Japan and Sweden depend on the global security regime created by NATO, and how it allows us to extract resources and labor at cut rates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2sqdudEle4

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
remove kebab

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

stil lol'ing at tacitly announcing withdrawal from afghanistan literally while the taliban and the government are meeting for peace negotiations just lmbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychofishhead
Oct 30, 2010

Jose posted:

Were you one of the propaganda volunteer westerners who never saw action and probably knows very little

I was one of the ones who had to deal with constant sniper/mortar fire and my friends getting maimed by ieds but by all means don’t let that get in the way of being a snarky dipshit