Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Black Robe posted:

Because deep ocean wildlife is awesome and pants-shittingly terrifying and we've got no idea what most of it is and there are still places we haven't explored yet. I'd like to see another game explore that slightly more seriously. (But only slightly because I'm still enjoying the goofiness.).
Doing that in a fangame means allowing a fangame author to design deep-sea Pokemon. And do you really want that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Depends on the fangame author, they're not all terrible.

DrKirre
Jun 11, 2014

Am I a mouse dreaming I'm a cat, or a scratching post dreaming I'm a bowl of wet food? Never assume what you see and feel is real!
Mmm... wet food...
This may be Beat Up-ing a dead Ponyta, but Insurgency actually feels like a fairly solid, if kiiiinda dumb, pokemon game. And hell, solid but dumb is pretty much Ash's personality too. So that's just fine by me. There's edge, but it's not THEWORLDISBLACKWAAAAAA - just enough to be snark-worthy. It's dumb, it knows it's dumb, and it's OK with its own dumbness.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
I'm just disappointed we didn't get a boss fight against Tentacruelthulhu.

Also, it still bothers me that none of these cults act like cults. Up until this update, the Abyssal Cult seemed at least vaguely cultish (although not really like a cult centered around Kyogre but rather a generic doomsday cult whose doomsday device happens to be a Pokémon); then it was revealed that their end goal was just world domination after all. There is really no excuse to not just call them 'Neo Team Aqua' or something; in fact, they'd be better than the original Team Aqua since their leader actually has a somewhat rational motivation for flooding the planet. The plot up to this point feels as if the whole cult thing was one of the earliest ideas in the writing process, and when it became clear that cults really don't fit with the camp-edgy feel the game is going for, the developers had already written themselves into a corner.

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 23, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Carpator Diei posted:

There is really no excuse to not just call them 'Neo Team Aqua' or something; in fact, they'd be better than the original Team Aqua since their leader actually has a somewhat rational motivation for flooding the planet.

Also, they actually use predominantly water Pokemon. :argh:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

quote:

Hello, fellow cultist! Listen to me making sound-words with my meat-mouth, like perfectly normal cultists do!

quote:

There were so many routes to take with a super-similar plot, but them growing pokeparts because of the exp virus was not one of the good ones
I honestly think it's hilarious and Damian being assimilated by the Poke-Borg was probably one of the greatest things that could've happened. I'm really looking forward to seeing what craziness this game comes up with next.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Resistance is futile, we will add your EV totals to our own.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I'm gonna be disappointed if we don't get to fight/catch a Pokecuthulu. I mean, seriously, I feel like that's where this dumb, stupid, snark-worthy plot is headed towards.

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

I, for one, can't wait to see if/when Nora sees what happened to Damian and what she's gonna do to try and deflect blame for almost certainly being the reason why Damian is now part pokerus.

(Hopefully she takes it as a sign she made a huge mistake but i also wanna see denial because man Nora you really hosed it up didn't you)

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

I'll admit, I actually felt a thing when it came to seeing Damien Pokerus'd. He was our tagalong pal who just wants to do the right thing. And I find a tad more likeable than Nora. Let's hope he doesn't get too far gone? :ohdear:

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

This is the first time a "mature and edgy" fangame made me feel bad about a character. Damian didn't deserve any of this and I hope he returns to normal :ohdear:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
To be honest, at this point, I think nobody would even have noticed the "mature and edgy" story if it wasn't part of the thread title. I've seen edgier episodes of Sailor Moon.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
So are we ever going to see these wild strong deep sea pokemon or no?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Grand Gigas posted:

So are we ever going to see these wild strong deep sea pokemon or no?

We probably will.

...In Reborn. As an especially awful PULSE fight.

Red John
Jul 12, 2018
5 bucks says aqua woman helps detoxify Borg-boy from the afterlife, in some weird dream sequence or hallucination.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

I want their to be a post game quest where you meet a cured/in control Damien and discover that Audrey survived do to being changed due to him accidentally infecting her.

Then you and Damien team up and fight of a bunch of overpowered Pokemon to get her back for him.

Then she's imprisoned but for her crimes but Damien visits her.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Cardiovorax posted:

To be honest, at this point, I think nobody would even have noticed the "mature and edgy" story if it wasn't part of the thread title. I've seen edgier episodes of Sailor Moon.
I definitely think there would be at least some, "woah you wouldn't see this in an official Pokemon game" but yeah Insurgence is much better at being a Pokemon game than some others. Not mentioning any names, though. Just saying we probably won't be enabling some junkie's drug habit in exchange for his Pokemon in this game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, if this had been that game, Kyogre wouldn't have tossed Audrey into the ocean and jumped in after - it would've given us an animated closeup of chewing her up instead, with plenty of blood splatters. This is outright tasteful by any reasonable comparison.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, if this had been that game, Kyogre wouldn't have tossed Audrey into the ocean and jumped in after - it would've given us an animated closeup of chewing her up instead, with plenty of blood splatters. This is outright tasteful by any reasonable comparison.

...maybe I'm misremembering, but I think you're highly overestimating the graphical abilities of "that game".

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

No, they actually did something kinda like that for the ghost gym. It was exactly as dumb as you'd expect it to be. In the end, it's really not that difficult on a technical level. A sprite is a sprite, really: have a regular version of Kyogre and have one with a blood mouth and human bits sticking out. Make three slightly different versions, loop through them to signify chewing motion. Remove Audrey sprite, replace Kyogre with chewing Kyogre. Replace the surrounding floor tiles with bloodied ones. It's fairly simple, it's just also really stupid. That entire scene could've been so much worse in a game with less self-restraint.

I like that Insurgence knows better than to even go there.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 21, 2018

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

Plus the visual imagery of someone getting body slammed into the ocean is kinda hilarious, save for the whole dying part.

TheKirbs posted:

I want their to be a post game quest where you meet a cured/in control Damien and discover that Audrey survived do to being changed due to him accidentally infecting her.

Then you and Damien team up and fight of a bunch of overpowered Pokemon to get her back for him.

Then she's imprisoned but for her crimes but Damien visits her.

I can imagine him visiting her in prison and getting a lesson on the ins and outs of tax evasion and world annihilation from her.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Haifisch posted:

Oh boy, I can't wait for what dumb plot Giratina Guy's angling for. :shepface:

At least there's a chance they're running with the mirror/Reverse world thing instead of "GIRATINA IS POKE-SATAN :byodood:"?

It's probably just "Poké-Satan... IN THE MIRROR!"

Red John posted:

5 bucks says aqua woman helps detoxify Borg-boy from the afterlife, in some weird dream sequence or hallucination.

He is associated with Shaymin, who does purification stuff. Usually of pollution, but it might work at a stretch?

The Golux fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Dec 21, 2018

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So she's dead-dead, not just assumed-dead? Because it seems the events go "Deoxys-hybrids show up, Kyogre knocks her into the water, Kyogre goes into the water on top of her and flees" and then we're told she died without seeing a body.

I'm not doubting it, I'm just wanting to confirm that she is dead-dead.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The game acts like she's dead-dead, because there really aren't too many ways to survive being tossed out of an underwater base by an angry super-whale... but I'm deferring judgment until later. This game is purestrain anime. No way am I going to assume she never shows up again before I actually see a body.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Cardiovorax posted:

The game acts like she's dead-dead, because there really aren't too many ways to survive being tossed out of an underwater base by an angry super-whale... but I'm deferring judgment until later. This game is purestrain anime. No way am I going to assume she never shows up again before I actually see a body.

Said super-whale is a Demi-god, so it’s possible that it saved her for some reason or other once it was free.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Geostomp posted:

Said super-whale is a Demi-god, so it’s possible that it saved her for some reason or other once it was free.
Yeah, that's where the "I'll believe it when I see the body" part comes from.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Cardiovorax posted:

Hello, fellow cultist! Listen to me making sound-words with my meat-mouth, like perfectly normal cultists do!

You know, it's entirely possible this is a Man Who Was Thursday scenario where aside from a handful of people at the very top the cult is composed mostly of people who got roped into it one way or another and are trying not to out themselves and die.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Glazius posted:

You know, it's entirely possible this is a Man Who Was Thursday scenario where aside from a handful of people at the very top the cult is composed mostly of people who got roped into it one way or another and are trying not to out themselves and die.
Everyone but Audrey is infiltrating the cult for various other organizations and has about as much of an idea of what's going on as Amy does.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Just caught up with this thread and all the dumb stat talk and community jargon in the script makes me want a pokemon game that doesn't show the player any stats (except maybe HP) until you get some pokedex upgrades that actually allow in-depth analysis of your electric rat.
Like early game there's nothing, then you just get vague bars, then natures, then near the end (like, eighth badge) you can finally get your :reject: on and start number mongering.
Shuffle up all the stats from official to keep you guessing and it could really be a "use your favorites" thing like the franchise has been trying to push since the beginning.

Oh also, deoxys people are weird and I don't get how Damian got infected.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

MR. J posted:

Just caught up with this thread and all the dumb stat talk and community jargon in the script makes me want a pokemon game that doesn't show the player any stats (except maybe HP) until you get some pokedex upgrades that actually allow in-depth analysis of your electric rat.
Like early game there's nothing, then you just get vague bars, then natures, then near the end (like, eighth badge) you can finally get your :reject: on and start number mongering.
Shuffle up all the stats from official to keep you guessing and it could really be a "use your favorites" thing like the franchise has been trying to push since the beginning.

...That could actually be a pretty neat game, though knowing nature might be good too.

I think they said Damian got infected when Malde teleported him away but I'm not sure.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

MR. J posted:

The actual details don't matter, what it will ultimately boil down to is that the protagonist didn't friendship hard enough at him when he needed it most so we'll need to beat the evil out of him later. And then all will be forgiven even if Damian directly or indirectly messed up a bunch of people's stuff because who cares about NPCs, Power of Friendship!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Damian just got grabbed by Grandpa Thing when he escaped. Damian apparently got the Deoxys Flu back in the day and since Grandpa Thing is still actively infected by Pokerus by default, he probably just had to spit at him to make the infection take. Kind of like regular flu.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Cardiovorax posted:

Damian just got grabbed by Grandpa Thing when he escaped. Damian apparently got the Deoxys Flu back in the day and since Grandpa Thing is still actively infected by Pokerus by default, he probably just had to spit at him to make the infection take. Kind of like regular flu.
Since the Deoxys Flu apparently happened like 50 years ago and Damien is about 1/4 that age, it seems likely that he inherited it from his mother, who likely got it from his grandmother. The Pokerus "activator" likely came from Malde, though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

Since the Deoxys Flu apparently happened like 50 years ago and Damien is about 1/4 that age, it seems likely that he inherited it from his mother, who likely got it from his grandmother. The Pokerus "activator" likely came from Malde, though.
Oh yeah, they did say that. What's-her-name is Deoxys-positive herself by way of inheriting the genetic markers from Grandpa Thing.

I keep forgetting when this game actually happens. When are we again, in relation to the latest official game?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It keeps referencing main game stuff as things that happened A Really Long Time Ago(at least long enough for everyone involved to be dead by now). Not sure about exact dates, but just assume it's ~100 years later and it's probably fine.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

ChrisBTY posted:

Audrey's "I wanna use Kyogre to command an army of eldrich Deep-Sea abominations" is better than the plans of most mainline Pokemon Teams.
She just explained it in the worst way possible.
Of course if you tell the player in a mainline Pokemon game that there are a bunch of deep-sea pokemon nobody's seen before they'll want to encounter/capture them.

I'm envisioning a lot of Water/Dark dual types.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Haifisch posted:

It keeps referencing main game stuff as things that happened A Really Long Time Ago(at least long enough for everyone involved to be dead by now). Not sure about exact dates, but just assume it's ~100 years later and it's probably fine.
I guess that works. I'm mostly asking because in the context of Deoxys happening 50+ years ago, nothing else would make sense, but it also doesn't feel like the crazy-far future so far, at least technologically. I guess instead of Medieval Stasis, the pokemans world has Late Space Age Stasis.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Cardiovorax posted:

I keep forgetting when this game actually happens. When are we again, in relation to the latest official game?

Audrey said RSE's events were 30 years before the start of this game in her monologue, so that probably helps at least.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Cardiovorax posted:

Oh yeah, they did say that. What's-her-name is Deoxys-positive herself by way of inheriting the genetic markers from Grandpa Thing.

I'm not super up on the Pokemon metaplot (I haven't played a Pokemon game since Platinum, myself), but I think the game references events that take place in OR/AS as being 50 years ago? I think the Deoxys Flu is supposed to be referencing Event Deoxys in those games?

Dragonatrix posted:

Audrey said RSE's events were 30 years before the start of this game in her monologue, so that probably helps at least.
Or this.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, that resolves that. Damian is still too young to be a first-generation infectee, just not "so then where's the flying cars" too young.