Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Kalman posted:

Logitech just nuked the local API for controlling the Hub from my home auto system (there’s a replacement, but I have no faith they won’t nuke that one too.). So yeah gently caress them.

Yeah if you’re using the local API for anything then Crestron level poo poo is probably the most useful.

For me I just need the tv to work for my wife and guests so a simple macro works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

priznat posted:

I had one of the Harmony Phone to IR blaster doodads that they dropped support for and became utterly useless. This was like 4-5 years ago. I think I’ve seen them do it with 2 more products since then. No way I’d get another Harmony device.

I think I only had that one for like 6 months before it was completely useless.

Anyone else here have a Pronto back in the day?

For all the harmony BS we have it so much better now.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The new Black Mirror choose your own adventure movie doesn’t work on Apple TV. Ugh.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Boris Galerkin posted:

The new Black Mirror choose your own adventure movie doesn’t work on Apple TV. Ugh.

Use an iOS device and screen mirror using airplay, is what I’ve heard the workaround to be.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It worked on the Netflix my TV has built in. Pretty bad look for Apple TV.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Harmony Hub is good and integrates well with Smarthomes. I have it tied in with my Insteon system and can turn on and off all sorts of lights as part of the activity button, and even be dynamic depending on the time of day.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

Use an iOS device and screen mirror using airplay, is what I’ve heard the workaround to be.

This doesn't work (at least on the third gen). Airplay/Screen Mirroring will only play the audio.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

smackfu posted:

It worked on the Netflix my TV has built in. Pretty bad look for Apple TV.

Not really. Netflix use the standard video player API that naturally doesn’t contain support for things like that. Nothing stopping them rolling out their own player, they just didn’t.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah Netflix makes the ATV Netflix app, not Apple. Seems unlikely that Apple's API wouldn't allow interactive stuff like this.

withak fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 29, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Sock The Great posted:

This doesn't work (at least on the third gen). Airplay/Screen Mirroring will only play the audio.

This is what I got too.

And it’s totally on Netflix that this doesn’t work. Like hell Apple TV is “not interactive.”

E: I read that it doesn’t work with Chromecast either. Just :lol:

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 29, 2018

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

withak posted:

Yeah Netflix makes the ATV Netflix app, not Apple. Seems unlikely that Apple's API wouldn't allow interactive stuff like this.

Yes, so it’s a bad look for Apple. Fault is irrelevant.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

Yes, so it’s a bad look for Apple. Fault is irrelevant.

It is Apple's fault that Netflix released content that couldn't play in their own app?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think what he means is, regardless of whose fault it is people will judge the platform because it doesn't have something another device has. Unfair, but reality.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I rented Skyscraper and it sucked. Bad look for Apple.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
"this is a bad look for x' is one of those dumb phrases I wish would die already.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

This a bad look for the Something Awful Forums.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
It doesn't work on the Netflix windows app either...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That’s a bad look for M$.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ha, I deserve the scorn. I was just a wee bit annoyed after getting, “I thought you said we needed the new AppleTV because our TV couldn’t do everything.”

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The Spectrum app is updated for Apple TV.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I like how the double tap the TV button on the ATV4k makes all the apps cascade like a phone.

All the apps seem well sorted out as well, unlike the new Shield I bought for my office (mostly so I could use the Dish Anywhere app that isn't on ATV), which seem slower in every way and constantly buffering.

....and even though I have an HDR enabled tv, I turned all the auto-matching stuff off the ATV because the lag was beyond annoying.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 3, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Correct settings for the HDR on an Apple TV is to put it in 4K SDR and turn the matching on. It shouldn’t be permanently forcing your tv to jump between modes unnecessarily then.

And best keep your voice down when talking bad about the Shield, those owners are fiercely protective over that thing.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Correct settings for the HDR on an Apple TV is to put it in 4K SDR and turn the matching on. It shouldn’t be permanently forcing your tv to jump between modes unnecessarily then.

Yeah this. Changed my life when I figured this out.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

And best keep your voice down when talking bad about the Shield, those owners are fiercely protective over that thing.

Nah, I have a Shield Pro and it's been sitting in a drawer for the last 7 months. I mean, it's decent, but not that great. Although that's likely more on the AndroidTV OS than the device itself.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I've done that per the recommendations here, but it's still zonks out for 3-5 seconds. I'll double check the settings and try again.

I have a 2016 Sony XBR-X930D 55", it might be my tv. I'll check the Sony forums as well.

Also I bought another ATV4k refurb for ($149 when they were available back in November) for my folks and I am very glad that the old silver remotes still work for the most part. There was no way my 70+ year old parents could deal with the new remote (plus only having one per ATV be usable).

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If your TV doesn't have a 60hz HDR mode then just set the aTV to be locked in 30hz HDR. The only reason is swaps between formats is because Apple wants the menus to be a buttery smooth 60fps so it defaults to whatever format is 60hz capable for the menus. You shouldn't need to shut off HDR entirely.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

American McGay posted:

If your TV doesn't have a 60hz HDR mode then just set the aTV to be locked in 30hz HDR. The only reason is swaps between formats is because Apple wants the menus to be a buttery smooth 60fps so it defaults to whatever format is 60hz capable for the menus. You shouldn't need to shut off HDR entirely.

They're not saying turn off entirely; they're saying set the default to matching + SDR so that the TV isn't switching as much.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So you get the menus and stuff in SDR and it only has to switch if you play HDR content?

Edit: That seems practical although the menus do look great in HDR.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 4, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bingo. And yeah it’s a bit of a shame to lose the slight extra prettiness but boy is it worth it. Plus it’s nice to always have confirmation exactly when you’re running hdr content.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Anyone watched the new Mission Impossible on an ATV4 in 4K? I've got 4K SDR@60, and the movie looks grainy as hell, and I can't tell if it's supposed to be like that. That's with matching on and off, 50 and 60 Hz. TV doesn't support VRR.

I did the HDMI cable test and it seems to fail the first time around and then pass subsequently? And the new cable I used instead says High Performance w/ Ethernet. Don't have any other cables lying around, but the sound issues with the initial cable are gone, so I don't imagine throughput is an issue anymore unless the raw LPCM audio is bottlenecking the video. This is also for all kinds of scenes, not just ones that are hard to video encode.

I buy from a solid cable site, but if I were to just say gently caress it and go for S-class HDMI cables for all my gear, what would be the best products/sites that ship within Europe?

ufarn fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 4, 2019

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

For 4K/HDR you're best off with Certified Premium cables from whoever makes affordable ones near you.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
MI:FO is extremely grainy yes. That's just "the look".

ufarn
May 30, 2009

American McGay posted:

MI:FO is extremely grainy yes. That's just "the look".
Wouldn't be the first time I saw a terrible transfer.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It reminded me a lot of Man of Steel, but with actual color and fun. I didn't mind it but it was definitely noticeable.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It was particularly bad because I'd pause, and the stills look like some kind of DivX-torrented .avi file running off a laptop 15 years ago. But that's what happens when you've taught yourself to notice all this stuff, it just bites you in the rear end.

It's probably better to watch the upscaled DVD or something.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I watched the UHD and don't remember it looking bad. A little disappointed in the lack of IMAX scenes, but then the last section of the movie had a bunch and they looked fantastic as always.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Another reason could of course be the internet connection, but it's on Ethernet with plenty of Mbps to spare, so that's not it. Although it's weird I don't have access to a network test just to double check.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Anyone know why the Appletv keeps turning on my tv after I put the appletv to sleep and power off the tv? The remote hasn’t been touched.

Could it be a homekit thing? Any settings to check?

It’s pretty annoying, I have to shut off the tv 2-3 times until it actually takes.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

priznat posted:

Anyone know why the Appletv keeps turning on my tv after I put the appletv to sleep and power off the tv? The remote hasn’t been touched.

Could it be a homekit thing? Any settings to check?

It’s pretty annoying, I have to shut off the tv 2-3 times until it actually takes.

I might be having this problem too. Last weekend I changed my setup so that I'm using the ARC port on my TV and routing everything through my receiver. Since then I've either woken up or come home to my TV being on three times. I assumed it was my Harmony though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The Kimoa Kid posted:

I might be having this problem too. Last weekend I changed my setup so that I'm using the ARC port on my TV and routing everything through my receiver. Since then I've either woken up or come home to my TV being on three times. I assumed it was my Harmony though.

Interesting, it just started happening in the last week or so for me as well despite no changes to the setup. Wonder if some update was pushed out that I didn’t notice.

I just connect direct to my TV and it is able to turn the tv on and switch to the input when I turn the ATV on.

The only remotes I use are my phone app and the atv remote so no harmony at play here..