Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Last hitting isn't even hard nor tedious, it's just a simple addition to laning you can do or not do if you're playing for dumb fun or whatever in the babby levels of the game, you can literally just not do it, pick a gank character. Pick Riki and go from lane to lane killing people. Pick someone like Kotl who just throws a giant wall down the lane so you kill creeps and hurt the enemy at the same time. Buy a Hand of Midas and just click the creeps for gold occasionally. There's so many solutions to like every overwrought problem people seem to have with such an easy mechanic.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Kith posted:

Probably because every time I get my hands on Azmodan, I completely wreck the solo lane without really trying.

Also because he's got a 52% winrate and is currently the third-most banned character in HotS. :shrug:

I legit can't remember seeing an azmodan in at least 50 games (or a ban on it) but I play in masters and gm. Generally bans are at least 3 of genji, Maiev, white mane, abathur, samuro.

But azmo is not a good solo laner

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
If there is an inherent, built in benefit to doing it, then it eventually becomes necessary, unless the player in question just doesn't give a poo poo about winning. If your opponents are doing it, and benefiting from it, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage in choosing to not do it, and therefore putting your team at a disadvantage. That's like saying "lol you don't ever have to soak or do objectives in HotS if you don't like it". Like, sure, you could not do those things, but the team that is doing that is probably going to end up winning because of it. That's probably a lot more extreme, but the point remains. People do it because it is beneficial to do it, to the point that people have made a point in defending its very existence as both skillful and crucial to early parts of the game.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I legit can't remember seeing an azmodan in at least 50 games (or a ban on it) but I play in masters and gm. Generally bans are at least 3 of genji, Maiev, white mane, abathur, samuro.

You are in like the top 10% or higher of players. I've seen a poo poo ton of Azmo bans at Silver/Gold level. A lot less at plat because by that point there are mechanically other heroes that start to become much more of a nuisance.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

At competent levels yes, it's obviously a requirement to better your sense and execution of last hitting, but like I was saying, if you're only playing the game to fart around in wood tier dummy games, a lot of people there only want to smash action figures together. That or again just play turbo mode, the passive gold and XP gain is dialed up so high you actually don't even need to CS a lot of times, you just pick a fight character like I suggested already and go after it.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

Game's still dead, but slowly undoing the incredibly lovely monetization scheme in the game and allowing skins to be bought with gold is a good first step.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I waffle between Diamond and Master and the bans I see most commonly are some mixture of Azmodan, Diablo, Garrosh, Whitemane, Mal'Ganis, and Orphea.

Although I haven't played very much since Orphea got nerfed a second time, so she's probably not as popular of a ban anymore.

quote:

If you say so.

Yardbomb posted:

Last hitting isn't even hard nor tedious, it's just a simple addition to laning you can do or not do if you're playing for dumb fun or whatever in the babby levels of the game, you can literally just not do it, pick a gank character. Pick Riki and go from lane to lane killing people. Pick someone like Kotl who just throws a giant wall down the lane so you kill creeps and hurt the enemy at the same time. Buy a Hand of Midas and just click the creeps for gold occasionally. There's so many solutions to like every overwrought problem people seem to have with such an easy mechanic.
You'd have a lot better time in this discussion if you actually made a point instead of just repeatedly insisting that you're right or offering irrelevant excuses (that don't even work because "gank characters" don't earn enough gold if they don't get the bounties from their gank targets).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You can also play support if you don't want to last hit.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Kith posted:

(that don't even work because "gank characters" don't earn enough gold if they don't get the bounties from their gank targets).

They literally do, you can wander the map and pick off idiots with someone like Riki and snowball super fast or you can even play Bounty Hunter and make everyone worth even more at all times. Also some doofy scare quotes mang.

I'm also objectively right more than once already because I'm pointing out explicit fixes to multiple people's problems. You want poison, game's got poison. You want shorter games, game's got shorter games and so on.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 22, 2018

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Yardbomb posted:

They literally do

Then please explain to me how gank characters, who rely on gold earned from Last Hitting enemy heroes, do not actually need to get Last Hits on enemy heroes.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Kith posted:

Then please explain to me how gank characters, who rely on gold earned from Last Hitting enemy heroes, do not actually need to get Last Hits on enemy heroes.

The shared gold is actually pretty big now iirc. Haven't played much but I did reinstall after the hots announcement.

I don't get why people have to so rabidly defend their pet moba. Is it sunk cost because they don't want to spend their time on a game that isn't perfect or something? I play league dota hots and smite at different times and all of them are fun in their own way.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Kith posted:

Setting up a kill on an enemy hero is good regardless of who gets the last hit, and it's generally better to give the kill to your laner anyway if you can.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Kith posted:

Because assists are really easy to be included in and are very generous anyway in Dota 2. Not to mention the example gank characters having good execute type moves too, Bounty Hunter having two even with shuriken and jinada, also gank implies jumping people, which characters like again Riki and BH can do and solo people very easily in plenty of cases. As of the newest patch, BH also straight up steals gold from enemy heroes with every jinada too. (With a cooldown of 12/9/6/3 as it's leveled)

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I don't get why people have to so rabidly defend their pet moba.

I'm mostly just doing it because a handful of people have made "Heh, maybe it'd be good if [X]" and then it does in fact have [X] lol

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 22, 2018

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Yardbomb posted:

Because assists are really easy to be included in and are very generous anyway in Dota 2. Not to mention the example gank characters having good execute type moves too, Bounty Hunter having two even with shuriken and jinada, also gank implies jumping people, which characters like again Riki and BH can do and solo people very easily in plenty of cases. As of the newest patch, BH also straight up steals gold from enemy heroes with every jinada too. (With a cooldown of 12/9/6/3 as it's leveled)

I haven't played DotA for a long while so I wasn't aware that Assists had been added. By my memory, whoever got the kill was the only one who got the gold (and which was a large reason why I stopped playing in the first place - I got tired of people flipping their poo poo over my securing a kill they weren't going to get). Thank you for educating me.

That said, I'm still not convinced that Last Hitting is a good mechanic in any form and nothing you've presented has come close to changing my stance on that.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I don't get why people have to so rabidly defend their pet moba. Is it sunk cost because they don't want to spend their time on a game that isn't perfect or something? I play league dota hots and smite at different times and all of them are fun in their own way.

If this is reference to me, there's a big difference between having a discussion about why Last Hitting is bad and rabidly defending HotS.

If it's not, then it's because of basic tribalism. People want other people to like what they like, so they go out of their way to convince other people to like what they like.

Toothy
Jan 30, 2006

There's treasure everywhere!
So does dota have interesting objectives yet other than "farm forever until you can afford items to snowball into an unfun pushing deathball"?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Toothy posted:

So does dota have interesting objectives yet other than "farm forever until you can afford items to snowball into an unfun pushing deathball"?

Runes that periodically spawn in the river which are a random effect of a few possibilities, jungle camps of varying strength, a big boss in the river that drops aegis, which is an item that brings you back to full life after dying.

You can also always go and gank carries to prevent them from farming, making that not happen.

Dota 2 also has a poo poo ton of custom modes.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 22, 2018

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Kith posted:

"Wait for minor enemies to be low-health so you can kill them at the last second to claim credit" is pretty loving tedious when you have to do it constantly, especially when the actual point of the game is to defeat opponent players.

The key is that there's someone else there, and you don't want them to kill it. You also don't want them hitting it.

I like HotS, but HotS farming is farming that requires no thought. DotA farming requires you to engage with the enemy from the very start.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

this is hilarious cuz it's like league players complaining about denying.

Toady posted:

I think a lot of MOBA players never gave it a chance because it was viewed as a shallow teamfighter for people who read Blizzard novels.

adding a bunch of people i'd never heard of instead of classic characters was a big one for me.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Dec 22, 2018

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Moola posted:

HoTs is getting taken out back to be shot because the devs were morons and Activision sucks

It's not being killed because it dared to stray from the holy Dota scriptures lol

I think a lot of MOBA players never gave it a chance because it was viewed as a shallow teamfighter for people who read Blizzard novels.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

The key is that there's someone else there, and you don't want them to kill it. You also don't want them hitting it.

I like HotS, but HotS farming is farming that requires no thought. DotA farming requires you to engage with the enemy from the very start.

the fact that last hitting creates a complex situation isn't really in question. that's not what "tedious" means, "tedious" means that despite the system being complex it still isn't interesting or fun to engage in.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

lmao

ninjewtsu posted:

the fact that last hitting creates a complex situation isn't really in question. that's not what "tedious" means, "tedious" means that despite the system being complex it still isn't interesting or fun to engage in.

If you don't enjoy fighting enemy players, and you don't enjoy avoiding enemy players to play farmville, then no, dota has nothing to offer. :v:

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Irony Be My Shield posted:

You can also play support if you don't want to last hit.

Yeah but then you're spending a large majority of your time stacking creeps and warding with the occasional gank.

Dota 2 would be better w/o a lot of its weird idiosyncrasies but people got used to them over the years and they are now fundamental to the game. Personally I can get over all the annoying bits except turn speed, that poo poo just makes the game feel so bad to play. HoN was on the right path but S2 ruined that game more than Blizz ruined HotS.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the turn speed complaint makes even less sense to me than last hitting. there's a bunch of cool poo poo you can do due to it.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Groovelord Neato posted:

the turn speed complaint makes even less sense to me than last hitting. there's a bunch of cool poo poo you can do due to it.

Yeah like not be able to properly kite. There are better ways to balance heroes than making them turn like molasses.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

what are you talking about.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

lmao

If you don't enjoy fighting enemy players, and you don't enjoy avoiding enemy players to play farmville, then no, dota has nothing to offer. :v:

I like fighting enemy players

I don't like contesting the final few hit points of minions constantly, for tiny rewards that nontheless are crippling to ignore long term. I want to smack around enemy players.

I could play exclusively gankers or something but if I'm not into all of the other baggage that comes with that other than "doesn't have to deal with last hitting" I'm kind of out of luck

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ninjewtsu posted:

I could play exclusively gankers or something but if I'm not into all of the other baggage that comes with that other than "doesn't have to deal with last hitting" I'm kind of out of luck

i don't like last hitting personally so that's what i've always done (or lane bullies).

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Groovelord Neato posted:

what are you talking about.

I would like ask you the same. What is this “cool poo poo” you can do because of different turn speeds? To someone like me that just makes last-hitting and trading harder because now I need something else to take in account besides attack damage and attack speed. In a game with 100+ different characters.

I am genuinely curious, because right now I think it is something for the “game is harder = game is better” audience.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Dotes is bad

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

moush posted:

Yeah but then you're spending a large majority of your time stacking creeps and warding with the occasional gank.

This isn't true at all though, if you're playing right (The fun way) you're constantly positioning to set up kills and kneecapping fuckers for your carry buddy to run up and brain.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Yardbomb posted:

This isn't true at all though, if you're playing right (The fun way) you're constantly positioning to set up kills and kneecapping fuckers for your carry buddy to run up and brain.

lol if you play Dota for fun

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mierenneuker posted:

I would like ask you the same. What is this “cool poo poo” you can do because of different turn speeds? To someone like me that just makes last-hitting and trading harder because now I need something else to take in account besides attack damage and attack speed. In a game with 100+ different characters.

I am genuinely curious, because right now I think it is something for the “game is harder = game is better” audience.

i'll give a specific hero example. my favorite hero is sand king. sand king has a stun where he burrows along a line. sand king also has an aoe damage ultimate that has a channel before it goes off and if that channel is stopped the ult goes on cooldown.

say i'm against another hero with a stun. if that hero is facing me i can stun through him, channel and get my ult off before that hero can turn and cast their stun and get the kill.

turn speed isn't even that slow it gives you just enough time to pull it off. the only time i even notice turn speed is when batrider throws sticky napalm on me. i played league a lot before dota2 came out and it was never a bother moving over.

Moola posted:

lol if you play Dota for fun

all of these games are bad.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Dec 22, 2018

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

all of these games are bad.

yeah Mobas kinda suck rear end but there's just something about the skill shots and interesting abilities that keeps my interests

Basically I just want the wc3 remake so someone can make something like a Moba, but fun and cool

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Moola posted:

Basically I just want the wc3 remake so someone can make something like a Moba, but fun and cool

it's called tides of blood!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's called tides of blood!

:yeah:

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I like turning speed and they've done some interesting things in dota with it but HotS doesn't have to be the same. I like that it's different, more casual etc.

Gonna stand by my advice of fixing the game by making all the heroes free.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Turn speed allows for God's chosen hero, Bristleback.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I don't get why people have to so rabidly defend their pet moba.

No one say that I have ever defended HOTS- that is slanderous and I will sue

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

no see dota bad because I picked antimage 10 years ago and I had to farm items

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Imagine being in charge of saying yes or no to this kind of thing, and seeing this, AND SAYING NO

https://twitter.com/Parker_Animator/status/1076252443581734913

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Well, it is very distracting by its sheer awesomeness, I can see how gameplay could suffer from it.