Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I get the horrible feeling Scotland are going to lose tomorrow because Townsend has taken the decision to be experimental with players and positions in an effort to blood new people. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Communist Bear posted:

I get the horrible feeling Scotland are going to lose tomorrow because Townsend has taken the decision to be experimental with players and positions in an effort to blood new people. :(

Losses are worth it at this stage to prepare a team for the World Cup. I'm not saying Ireland are not taking the USA seriously but they've made 14 changes to the team that beat the All Blacks.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
https://twitter.com/WelshDalaiLama/status/1065917568693743616?s=19

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

Communist Bear posted:

Russell and Hastings is the bizarro future we've all wanted to see for a while. It'll likely be a car crash but at least Townsend will know whether or not it can work in a reasonably unimportant match before the 6N and RWC.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vaders Jester posted:

The problem with that shite peddled by Pichot is that it completely ignores players born to parents of the nation they play for outside of the country they play for, or those raised in as a certain nationality because of their families backgrounds. Examples are, John Barclay who was born in Hong Kong, Dave Denton born in Zimbabwe, Sam Skinner born in England, Hamish Watson born in England and that's just some of the Scottish guys never mind the idea of someone trying to tell Jamie Heaslip or Jordi Murphy that they're not Irish just because their parents had their kids while out of the country. It's just xenophobic bollocks.

Case in point: Akira Ioane - born in Tokyo, to a Samoan father and Maori mother. According to Pichot's bullshit, idiot, whiny fuckwit logic, he shouldn't qualify for the All Blacks, because he was born in Japan.

You also get incredibly ignorant idiots frothing at the mouth over some of the Pasifika players who end up representing New Zealand. One of the gems that popped up on the old BBC Scrum V boards before those disappeared was "since when is Tokoroa in New Zealand?"

And to not belabour a point, but there's also the fact that it's the Vice-Chairman of World Rugby tweeting this poo poo.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 23, 2018

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
There is a world of difference between a player who was born and raised in Country A to parents born and raised in Country A and only plays for Country B because of a grandparent vs born in Country C to parents from Country D playing for Country D.

But if you are a very senior officer of the IRB then your opinions are not the opinions of a private individual, they are the opinion of the organisation and you need to act like it.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys
Being a nerd and checking out the current Wales squad on Wikipedia:
39 Players, 30 born in Wales, 9 born outside Wales.

The 9 being:
Welsh parent(s) and grew up in Wales
Dan Lydiate - born England, moved to wales age 4, mother Welsh
Ross Moriarty - born England, moved to Wales age 2 (I think), Father welsh (and former Wales international)
Jonathan Davies - born England, moved as a child, both parents Welsh
George North - born England, moved to Wales age 2, Mother Welsh

Welsh parent and grew up abroad
Jake Ball - born England, Father welsh
Gareth Anscombe - born NZ, mother Welsh

Welsh grandparent(s), grew up abroad
Tomas Francis - born england, grandmother Welsh
Jonah Holmes - born England, grandparents Welsh

Residency
Hadleigh Parkes - born NZ

Personally I think the residency requirements should be lengthened (5 years? at least for top ten nations), and the grandparents rules either eliminated or changed. e.g. change to 5 years residency, shortened to 3 if a grandparent is from the country.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Bad referee.

NewAccountUsername
May 5, 2006

goatface posted:

Bad referee.

Kind of bad all round really.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, bad game. I might turn over.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Bit pish so far

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
From what I've been seeing you have your choice of terrible games to watch at this point in time. Four games might be good for the Union's coffers, the teams seem to have given up caring, though.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys
Owen Farrell again getting away with a shoulder charge. Should have been a card and a penalty try.

https://twitter.com/RugbyLAD7/status/1066357134873497600

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

lmao Sanchez

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Was at the Scotland match and yup...I thought we were a bit lucky to get away with that to be honest. Hogg correctly spotting the gap was the difference in what was a dirge match otherwise.

I thought Laidlaw didn't deserve the man of the match award - he was slow as treacle, killing any opportunity to take a fast ball attacking approach. I'm not sure if they were tactically told to kick, but it just seemed to kill the game. We gave Argentina plenty of opportunities with the ball and we're lucky they didn't take them.

Not sure what to make of the Hastings/Russell combination. Didn't seem to gel at any point and Hastings looked like a boy amongst wolves on several situations.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Communist Bear posted:

Was at the Scotland match and yup...I thought we were a bit lucky to get away with that to be honest. Hogg correctly spotting the gap was the difference in what was a dirge match otherwise.

I thought Laidlaw didn't deserve the man of the match award - he was slow as treacle, killing any opportunity to take a fast ball attacking approach. I'm not sure if they were tactically told to kick, but it just seemed to kill the game. We gave Argentina plenty of opportunities with the ball and we're lucky they didn't take them.

Not sure what to make of the Hastings/Russell combination. Didn't seem to gel at any point and Hastings looked like a boy amongst wolves on several situations.

Kind of glad Laidlaw was out there controlling the game, as much as I love mental Scottish attack from anywhere rugby, that was a game that would have lost due to an intercept or gently caress up in the backfield due to it. Argentina slowing every ruck down didn't help matters much either. A piss-poor game but glad Scotland were on the winning side of a grindy shitshow than the usual loss in the last minute.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I guess so. I didn't get the impression that Argentina would have capitalised on chaos rugby, but who knows.

Now to try work my way home!

:negative:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I got home, pint time yay!

I realise none of you care but in my head you do...in my head you do...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well done.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

North’s moustache is giving me heavy Freddie Mercury vibes

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
USA having a real go at it, should be interesting in the second half if they can keep it up.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
USA look like a team who've actually been watching/playing the sport all their lives.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Until a scrum happens.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Fiji really taking it to France

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Fiji really taking it to France

They're their own worst enemies though. Poor discipline has cost them two tries now.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Vagabundo posted:

They're their own worst enemies though. Poor discipline has cost them two tries now.

Up by 4, on attack in the last minute though!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

They've done it!

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Really happy for Fiji, that center combo was awesome

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Super happy for Fiji, with more money/less corruption they could be serious contenders considering the talent that team has.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Looks like the RWC will be Schmidt's last outing as Ireland coach with Farrell replacing him. Wonder if we'll see Schmidt coach the Lions, though he has talked of retiring from coaching in general so will see. If he stays coaching, I imagine he'll be Hanson's successor.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys
Romain Poite showing why he is so loved in this Saracens Cardiff game :rolleyes:

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Sooo... should we start a Rugby Union 2019/Japan 2019 thread yet or wait until Cheika resigns?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
I think Six Nations is probably the best time to kick off new threads? Between February and November next year, we'll get to see :

The Six Nations
The Entire Super Rugby Season
The End Of The Pro12 Season
The World Cup
Ian Foster's Entire Coaching Career

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You forgot the "comedy" racism.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Steve Hansen will announce his future tomorrow, and meanwhile, Joe Schmidt has strongly suggested he is still open to an offer to coach the All Blacks 2020 onwards. He's likely to go for Vern Cotter as an assistant, which would be an ideal team.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

Steve Hansen will announce his future tomorrow, and meanwhile, Joe Schmidt has strongly suggested he is still open to an offer to coach the All Blacks 2020 onwards. He's likely to go for Vern Cotter as an assistant, which would be an ideal team.

Steve Hansen for new Dragons coach!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

The Blues are as big an embarrassment as their antipodean counterparts.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
As a southern hemisphere fan in Europe with access the the last month of Champions Cup, Gallagher Premiership, Pro 14 and the Premiership Cup, what's good to watch?

I don't know any of the teams, I just watched Ulster Munster which was okay but nothing too exciting. Are there any teams doing good running plays or anything different or interesting? Fiji/Japan level novelty would be great, but really it would just be nice to know who's furthest from English grinding hit-ups.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Destroyenator posted:

As a southern hemisphere fan in Europe with access the the last month of Champions Cup, Gallagher Premiership, Pro 14 and the Premiership Cup, what's good to watch?

I don't know any of the teams, I just watched Ulster Munster which was okay but nothing too exciting. Are there any teams doing good running plays or anything different or interesting? Fiji/Japan level novelty would be great, but really it would just be nice to know who's furthest from English grinding hit-ups.

Glasgow are always worth a watch, them and Lenstier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Destroyenator posted:

Seconding Leinster in the Pro14 and Champion's Cup. Saracens in the Gallagher Prem/Champion's Cup as well.