Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I would be more okay with dubs if they didn't intentionally do those anime dub voices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Ok I'm going to think about getting a protector if the screen is as soft as the consensus says. I've put them on phones before and torn them off in a week due to them making the screen look funny or peeling. I'll check out some options at least.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Policenaut posted:

I really enjoyed Xenoblade 1's dub over the dub seen in 2 and it wasn't until I was told that NoE got British people trained in theater acting did it all click. The valley between Shulk screaming at Metal Face in the prologue of 1 to Rex and Pyra doing that big fire sword attack in 2's is immense!

Yeah but XB2 feels more a problem with directing than the actual VAs. It's pretty clear Nintendo rushed the voice work in both languages and cheaped out on a director for the English. There's parts in Japanese that feel like they were given lines without context too, but not to the same extent.

Voice directing is something often taken for granted but it can make all the difference.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

XB2 voices sound how I expect the voices in an anime to sound. It is an anime so therefore it fits

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I just got my switch today, and holy gently caress this thing is amazing. I work 10 hour night shifts where I am basically just paid to exist in an area in the 1 in 10000 chance something goes wrong and having super smash makes it so much more tolerable. I picked up Smash, Diablo, West of Loathing, and This is The Police 2. Any other games that I should grab? I’m not really looking for like 60 dollar first party games at the moment, good cheap ones are ideal so I have a lot of options on longass nights.

Senran kagura. You can pretend you have a dating life.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

JBP posted:

Ok I'm going to think about getting a protector if the screen is as soft as the consensus says. I've put them on phones before and torn them off in a week due to them making the screen look funny or peeling. I'll check out some options at least.

Get the AMfilm(?) glass one. It doesn’t mess with the screen at all and makes it feel so much better.

I was definitely anti protector but after putting it on the switch it’s great.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah I had a plastic one I didn't like but a glass one really does improve the feel of the screen.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

Looks good. Glad I waited.
DQXI is really good. I couldn't wait like you. There were several times I was on the train or laying in bed, wishing I had it on Switch so I could play whenever and wherever I wanted. My only concern with it would be load times between zones - it was annoyingly slow even on PS4 Pro.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

FuzzySlippers posted:

Any idea how it compares to the Skull grip case? The skull is kind of a pain to take on/off and apparently isn't compatible with the proper D-pad controller I've been interested in getting. Otherwise it is pretty comfy.

You just slide the whole Switch in and out so super easy to take on and off. It’s not separate pieces though so you can’t use it for other controllers, which is what I am assuming the Skull can apparently do.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

JBP posted:

Yeah, it's a good idea. I'm talking to my friend rn and she says the dock has scratched her screen protector. That hasn't happened to me but what did happen was I did a very stupid thing - my hands were full getting out of the car so I put my Switch in my mouth and now there are slight teeth marks at the edge of my screen protector.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Lobster posted:

Yeah, it's a good idea. I'm talking to my friend rn and she says the dock has scratched her screen protector. That hasn't happened to me but what did happen was I did a very stupid thing - my hands were full getting out of the car so I put my Switch in my mouth and now there are slight teeth marks at the edge of my screen protector.

Lol that rules

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Lobster posted:

my hands were full getting out of the car so I put my Switch in my mouth and now there are slight teeth marks at the edge of my screen protector.

Welp I think that might be a first!

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I like how the GUI recognizes your fancy new NES controllers in the menu

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

You don't need a screen protector if you keep your Switch in a case. Mine's almost always in a soft Splatoon 2 case when it's not in the dock, and it's basically as good as when I got it at launch.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
So does the Switch itself have a flavor that goes with the cartridges or no?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Get the amfilm glass protector because:

1) you get two, in case you mess one up

2) it’s glass, your switch screen is plastic

3) of course no one PLANS to scratch their switch, do you skip car insurance because you don’t intend to crash your car?

4) for the few times you need to use the touchscreen on the switch, the glass protector makes it feel so much better. It goes from “cheap decade old android phone” to feeling like a modern smart device.

5) the colors and saturation actually look slightly better through the glass protector. Matte vs glossy and all that

Get it, it’s worth it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Policenaut posted:

Here's Level-5's third attempt at making a successful robot franchise: Megaton Musashi, already confirmed to be coming to multiple platforms, have a TV show, a toy line, and all other kinda cross-media crap. Quality isn't great because it's recorded off-screen at Jump Festa but it's our first real look at it.

https://twitter.com/brotherrrs/status/1076300524796862464

At least we know it's going to be better than Gundam AGE

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
Finally rolled credits on Donkey Kong. What next?

* Kirby
* Pokemon
* Dark Souls

Or try to finish Octopath - finished Ch. 1 for everyone.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Policenaut posted:

Here's Level-5's third attempt at making a successful robot franchise: Megaton Musashi, already confirmed to be coming to multiple platforms, have a TV show, a toy line, and all other kinda cross-media crap. Quality isn't great because it's recorded off-screen at Jump Festa but it's our first real look at it.

https://twitter.com/brotherrrs/status/1076300524796862464

why didn't inafune just get a job at level 5, seems like his dream company

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
for all of its many, many, MANY faults, I appreciated Hellsing Ultimate’s dub basically giving its actors an excuse to go off on literal hours of proper theatrical monologues

in fact I’m fairly sure a lot of the VA’s WERE in theatre

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The Lobster posted:

So did you and your friend buy some cheap plastic garbage screen covers or what? If you bought glass covers then wtf did you replace your teeth with that it was able to scratch it?

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Gripweed posted:

At least we know it's going to be better than Gundam AGE

So is being beaten on the kidneys with big branches and pissing blood for years to come.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
To be fair who can't resist sinking their teeth into a fresh, right out-of-the-oven Nintendo Switch?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Andrast posted:

The English was fine aside from the bad yells

they were so loving bad though, i literally based my decision to switch to JP on them. nails on a goddamn chalkboard

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
It's nice to have the option, I was trying to find the differences between a scene in Valkyria Chronicles 4 and the videos were English dubbed which sounded weird as poo poo since I'd been playing with the Japanese voice pack.

"Oh nice, this one has 16 of them! Except Raz sounds a lot less gung-ho and angry and more bored."

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I got some really nice Bluetooth headphones for my birthday and this dumb thing can’t use them

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I got some really nice Bluetooth headphones for my birthday and this dumb thing can’t use them

Yeah it's really dumb

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Smash dlc gonna show up automatically or will I have to download it

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Can you play StarDew Valley multiplayer with 2 switches but no internet connection? My brother and I both have Switches and would like to play together but our parents internet is really shoddy.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Buncha these type of things on the market
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07L3P4PYR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_EyNhCbTT0C8V2

Sucks it's not native, but fortunately people are picking up the slack.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Popete posted:

Can you play StarDew Valley multiplayer with 2 switches but no internet connection? My brother and I both have Switches and would like to play together but our parents internet is really shoddy.

Yes, according to articles I've read. I haven't tried it myself yet!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Get the amfilm glass protector because:

1) you get two, in case you mess one up

2) it’s glass, your switch screen is plastic

3) of course no one PLANS to scratch their switch, do you skip car insurance because you don’t intend to crash your car?

4) for the few times you need to use the touchscreen on the switch, the glass protector makes it feel so much better. It goes from “cheap decade old android phone” to feeling like a modern smart device.

5) the colors and saturation actually look slightly better through the glass protector. Matte vs glossy and all that

Get it, it’s worth it

Welp, this is the post that did it for me. Though really, as a father of two young kids, I was likely going to get this anyway. Thanks!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Stanos posted:

It's nice to have the option, I was trying to find the differences between a scene in Valkyria Chronicles 4 and the videos were English dubbed which sounded weird as poo poo since I'd been playing with the Japanese voice pack.

And I've found the opposite. The Japanese voices are so melodramatic that they become hilariously cartoony for me with that game. It really is all about personal preference.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Worth mentioning also that a glass screen protector is a lot easier to apply than those old film ones. Just get it positioned right on one end before letting it rest itself across the screen and it pretty much applies itself without having to worry about air bubbles. Only thing you have to watch for are specks of dust on the screen beforehand.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
The voice actress for Bad Girl retired from acting five years ago, but they got her out of retirement for Travis Strikes Again

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Welp, this is the post that did it for me. Though really, as a father of two young kids, I was likely going to get this anyway. Thanks!

My pro strat for my two boys is never tell them it’s portable. If they find out it is, they’re not allowed to use it that way. So we are a docked-only household. At least while the kids are awake.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Well waiting paid off. Europe has some nice deals on the e-shop.

Octopath Traveller is up for 35 euro. 40% off. That's a great price for a great but flawed game. I already own it physically but still.

What I'm most excited about is 50% on Starlink and its accessories.

So I can get the deluxe for 60 euro or the Standard for 40.

I know with the deluxe you get ALL the ships and weapons, but is it worth it (price wise for 20 euro, considering what they're charging yes, but I mean more entertainment-wise).

If I were to get standard what DLC should I pick up or is the game just as fun with only the basic version?

I'd of gotten Okami, Hyperlight Drifter, and Starlink on sale, plus a dozen or so songs on Rocksmith this winter sale. Not too shoddy.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Gripweed posted:

The voice actress for Bad Girl retired from acting five years ago, but they got her out of retirement for Travis Strikes Again

isn't the premise of the game that her character is dead

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Looper posted:

isn't the premise of the game that her character is dead

There's gonna be DLC about her. Could be flashbacks, or hallucinations, or they bring her back to life, or a clone, or she's a ghost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Mokinokaro posted:

And I've found the opposite. The Japanese voices are so melodramatic that they become hilariously cartoony for me with that game. It really is all about personal preference.

Yeah which is why having the choice is nice and I appreciate it. Plus it's fun for me to play guess the voice and I can't do that as well with the English cast. I still didn't find Lily's voice actor, I can place it but I'm still not sure and also don't really care anymore.

I guess it also helps that I couldn't really take the story seriously in the first place so the voices probably didn't matter too much. But choice is good and I'm glad games mostly have the option for either/or these days.