Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

SimonCat posted:

Is the sticking point the 60 votes needed for cloture? Isn't the Senate able to change the requirement by a simple majority vote?

If so, then the reason the government is getting shut down is because the Republicans won't vote as a block to pass a spending bill through the House and the Senate?

I just want to make sure I'm tracking this whole thing correctly.

They could have also easily gotten the funding through reconciliation , if there were 50 votes in the senate for the dumb wall.

Edit: Zonkey tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

dalstrs posted:

Couldn't we frame this whole shutdown in the same way they framed that old household budget thing? They want to spend billions to build a fence to keep the neighbor kids from raking our leave while the sidewalk is crumbling and the plumbing is poisoning us.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Rust Martialis posted:

Stop signing your posts

:drat:

In other news, Trump wants to fire the fed chairman for raising rates. He seems to be blaming the fed for the stock market falling, because of course.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Man him trying to fire the Fed and the ensuing court battle will be such a giant clusterfuck. Frankly I welcome it because he’ll lose.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Slowpoke! posted:

In other news, Trump wants to fire the fed chairman for raising rates. He seems to be blaming the fed for the stock market falling, because of course.

Gotta find a convenient scapegoat. He is NEVER wrong and everything going wrong is the liberal’s/women’s/gay’s/Mexican’s/Establishment’s fault.

And his base eats it up until he steps on the military toes... him firing Mad Dog actually seems to have done some damage to him.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Ague Proof posted:

I've said this before but if Trump looked like Ryan Gosling and spoke like William F Buckley with everything else the same, it wouldn't work. His appeal relies on being someone who is not obviously better than you - he's ruder than his base, weirder than his base, and more repulsive physically than his base. He also has this pathetic, needy quality that's really obvious. He's rich and can do what he likes, but because of those other factors it's not something you can entirely envy. Pure id.

I'm not wild about being me, but I am really, really glad I'm not Donald J Trump. There is some small measure of comfort knowing that he is, in many ways, his own punishment

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

SimonCat posted:

Is the sticking point the 60 votes needed for cloture? Isn't the Senate able to change the requirement by a simple majority vote?

If so, then the reason the government is getting shut down is because the Republicans won't vote as a block to pass a spending bill through the House and the Senate?

I just want to make sure I'm tracking this whole thing correctly.

Yes, though there are a few other problems:

* Not all Republican Senators are in town
* 2 - Flake and Corker- Karen it clear they’re not interested in voting for it
* lots of Republican Senators have said they won’t vote to remove the filibuster rule

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Slowpoke! posted:

Here's a puzzler for you! Trump can't fire the Fed Reserve chairman, but if he still tries, it's that enough to spark a credit crunch and market correction?

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Discendo Vox posted:

It took some doing, but I tracked it down with "crimes crimes crimes" tweet, for future reference.

edit: god drat it dispatch

Thank you both so much!

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/AlanDersh/status/1076507465313730561

Let them fight.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Tibalt posted:

Here's a puzzler for you! Trump can't fire the Fed Reserve chairman, but if he still tries, it's that enough to spark a credit crunch and market correction?

Almost certainly.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Slowpoke! posted:

firing the fed chairman will surely turn the stock market around

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/tomtomorrow/status/1076480206913916930

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

This is the best thing to wake up to.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I assume the firing the fed chairman stuff has to do with the DOW dropping like a rock? Firing the fed chairman would certainly be just the thing to restore confidence in the market and American institutions

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I assume the firing the fed chairman stuff has to do with the DOW dropping like a rock? Firing the fed chairman would certainly be just the thing to restore confidence in the market and American institutions

that story came out late last night so would be unrelated to any of last week's losses

also: lol

https://twitter.com/kathrynw5/status/1076512982786555904

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Spiffster posted:

Gotta find a convenient scapegoat. He is NEVER wrong and everything going wrong is the liberal’s/women’s/gay’s/Mexican’s/Establishment’s fault.

And his base eats it up until he steps on the military toes... him firing Mad Dog actually seems to have done some damage to him.

My hope is that Mattis’ timeline is based on some agreement with the GOP to support impeachment after the new house is seated.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Did they check to see if there's a guard stationed on the door to the shitter?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

eke out posted:

that story came out late last night so would be unrelated to any of last week's losses

Presumably they mean swapped cause and effect. Donald T wants to fire the fed chair because of poor market performance (which he believes is spurred by the chair's policy), not that poor market performance was caused by the specter of firing the fed chair.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

My hope is that Mattis’ timeline is based on some agreement with the GOP to support impeachment after the new house is seated.

Every Republican Senator is a coward who will never support impeachment lol

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Business as usual...

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1076513991348891648

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

eke out posted:

also: lol

https://twitter.com/kathrynw5/status/1076512982786555904

Thinking about Trump being in the oval office...

I can't wait to read his letter to the next president, if he keeps the tradition

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Eeyo posted:

Presumably they mean swapped cause and effect. Donald T wants to fire the fed chair because of poor market performance (which he believes is spurred by the chair's policy), not that poor market performance was caused by the specter of firing the fed chair.

oh i misread that - yeah definitely, he's mad because of raising interest rates

anyone curious about why trump can't do this can click on my previous posts, i talked about a couple cases last night that discuss why the Fed is an independent agency and you can't fire heads of independent agencies just because you don't like them

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Eeyo posted:

yeah, this. Though the specter of firing the fed chair almost certainly will cause future poor market performance as well

heyitsamanda
Jul 17, 2018

I mean, it's one banana Michael, what could it cost? 10 dollars?

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/status/1076364120151257089

Hell, throw in the 14 words while you're at it

I love that she’s still trolling him. I really hope Trump takes her advice and gets up on national TV, ideally today or tomorrow so it’s played over and over through Christmas, to defend this shutdown.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Spaced God posted:

Hey everyone now the shutdown actually might kill someone
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1076328999259987968

This is honestly one of the worst parts of shutdowns to me. During a previous shutdown, a pregnant elk was killed in Zion by a poacher.

https://www.rgj.com/story/life/outdoors/2018/01/26/poacher-kills-pregnant-elk-zion-during-government-closure/1068640001/

Yellowstone has its own share of people seeking to use public lands in a selfish way:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.86b849dc17a5

Public lands are one of the most positive characteristics of America, and it's great that the public is able to easily access them. Unfortunately, there are some real selfish assholes out there that use shutdowns as an opportunity to break the rules meant to protect natural resources for us all.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1076512233897771010 https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1076515352249597954 Lol lots of dumb takes today.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Skippy McPants posted:

Did they check to see if there's a guard stationed on the door to the shitter?

No, but it is occupied. The Acting Attorney General is in there with a toolbox.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

heyitsamanda posted:

I love that she’s still trolling him. I really hope Trump takes her advice and gets up on national TV, ideally today or tomorrow so it’s played over and over through Christmas, to defend this shutdown.

He unfollowed her already.

Seriously.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Lol lots of dumb takes today.

who amongst us can forget when we sent troops to syria in 2011

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It’s not really about that necessarily. Trump has been against Powell and the Fed raising interest rates for a few months now (inconveniently, that hurts Trump’s businesses)

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

theflyingorc posted:

Thinking about Trump being in the oval office...

I can't wait to read his letter to the next president, if he keeps the tradition

"PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T HURT ME, I'LL GIVE YOU THE BEST THINGS." is the most coherent sentence as it begins to ramble on into not words, smudges of strange substances and mouth/slobber marks.

Also he will have eaten at least 3 of them, dictated to other people or forgetting that he ate not 2 seconds ago. The most legible version will be the final presidential tweet that they keep in a phone they took off him.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 22, 2018

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

heyitsamanda posted:

Shea not trolling she’s trying to influence his actions

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:bravo:

https://twitter.com/EllenKushner/status/1076522365318844417

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I’m still betting that Trump backs off of withdrawing from Syria. Literally no one around him aside from probably Miller wants him to do it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’m still betting that Trump backs off of withdrawing from Syria. Literally no one around him aside from probably Miller wants him to do it.

Too public now.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Levitate posted:

Shea not trolling she’s trying to influenc[ing] his actions

You just know that he is still reading her tweets even if he unfollowed her.

The thing that blows my mind about the whole shut-down is it really looks like both parties sat trump down, said "look you're not getting a wall for christmas, lets just fund the govt so theres no stupid shutdown and everyone can go take a few weeks off" and trump was a-ok with that. So the senate passed a normal spending bill, and then fox news had a projectile vomiting session about the whole thing and trump immediately flipped to "not going to sign". I guess I'm saying I think fox news should be shut down and whats-his-face not allowed to run a media company anymore.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Too public now.

Which means all of the Fox News shows will spend hours telling him that it would be a bad idea and that he’ll be blamed when it goes to poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

ZypherIM posted:

You just know that he is still reading her tweets even if he unfollowed her.

The thing that blows my mind about the whole shut-down is it really looks like both parties sat trump down, said "look you're not getting a wall for christmas, lets just fund the govt so theres no stupid shutdown and everyone can go take a few weeks off" and trump was a-ok with that. So the senate passed a normal spending bill, and then fox news had a projectile vomiting session about the whole thing and trump immediately flipped to "not going to sign". I guess I'm saying I think fox news should be shut down and whats-his-face not allowed to run a media company anymore.

We should probably make every share holder of Fox, including Disney, pay government employees a big big bonus to the tune of several hundred thousand to each person.