Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.

Proteus Jones posted:

You're not going to find anything that allows scripting in iOS.

Ah gently caress. Oh well, will go with my backup plan of using Pythonista possibly with a database and exporting it.

Thanks nerds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Weedle posted:

I don’t know specifically of any spreadsheet apps with scripting, but you can definitely write and run scripts on iOS with apps like Pythonista and Scriptable.

I wasn’t aware they loosened that restriction. It used to be you couldn’t run any apps or emulators that had an internal scripting engine. That was why they yanked that C64 emulator that was in the App Store for all of one or two hours.

E: also, for some reason I wasn’t aware Pythonista was a thing. This is very welcome news, since I’ve been hoping PyCharm would release an iOS app now that remote scripting is a thing in PyCharm.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 6, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The next version of Pythonista looks amazing

https://twitter.com/olemoritz/status/1070002291535740928?s=20

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Hope this is the right thread: I can't, for the life of me, get Facebook Messenger video calls to be muted. Ideally I'd just mute one specific messenger group, but if I can only mute everything, so be it.

Problem is that wife's family have a 10 strong group, and whenever they want to chat, they just video call the group. From a timezone six hours earlier than mine. So I get vibrations from calls I don't particularly care about in the first place at 3am. Yay.

I'd prefer not to uninstall the app.

Edit: iPhone 8, iOS 12.1.1 if that makes a difference.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

bolind posted:

Hope this is the right thread: I can't, for the life of me, get Facebook Messenger video calls to be muted. Ideally I'd just mute one specific messenger group, but if I can only mute everything, so be it.

Problem is that wife's family have a 10 strong group, and whenever they want to chat, they just video call the group. From a timezone six hours earlier than mine. So I get vibrations from calls I don't particularly care about in the first place at 3am. Yay.

I'd prefer not to uninstall the app.

Edit: iPhone 8, iOS 12.1.1 if that makes a difference.

Have you set up the phone's do not disturb mode or is this somehow bypassing it?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

astral posted:

Have you set up the phone's do not disturb mode or is this somehow bypassing it?

I use DND at night via the Bedtime setting but if the caller is in my Phone app favourites it seems the FB / WhatsApp / etc call comes right through. I can’t disable that setting because my favourites contain my work colleagues or clients who might have an emergency.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

astral posted:

I haven't. I would like to let all other calls through, I very rarely get calls during the night and when I do it's usually for a reason. I only want to block calls from this particular facebook messenger group, ideally.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

bolind posted:

I haven't. I would like to let all other calls through, I very rarely get calls during the night and when I do it's usually for a reason. I only want to block calls from this particular facebook messenger group, ideally.

You can set it to allow any caller that rings twice in a short time with DND on, put a little notice in your voicemail message perhaps? Not ideal but FB aren’t about to give you decent controls of their crap

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

What’s the best app to fill in the gaps that the stock Apple Wallet app has? I just joined a gym, but their membership card in app doesn’t export natively to Wallet. That and I have some other store cards that I don’t want to keep in my actual wallet like George Constanza. Is there a good one that also maybe let’s you pin on a map for the right cards to show up on the home screen at those locations as well?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

IUG posted:

What’s the best app to fill in the gaps that the stock Apple Wallet app has? I just joined a gym, but their membership card in app doesn’t export natively to Wallet. That and I have some other store cards that I don’t want to keep in my actual wallet like George Constanza. Is there a good one that also maybe let’s you pin on a map for the right cards to show up on the home screen at those locations as well?

I use Stocard and it seems fine. No geolocation though as far as I know.

https://stocardapp.com/en/us

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
What's the official podcast recommended app I can't seem to find what the thread preaches.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Overcast

...or Downcast,
or Pocket Casts.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Can anyone recommend a good XMPP/Jabber client?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Question Mark Mound posted:

Overcast

...or Downcast,
or Pocket Casts.

Thank you!!!!

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
I’m always back and forth between Pocket Casts and Overcast. I’m on Overcast right now.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

olives black posted:

Can anyone recommend a good XMPP/Jabber client?

I used to use ChatSecure years ago. Not sure if it's still the best options but it's worth a try.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

xilni posted:

I used to use ChatSecure years ago. Not sure if it's still the best options but it's worth a try.

Thanks, I'll give it a look!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

virinvictus posted:

I’m always back and forth between Pocket Casts and Overcast. I’m on Overcast right now.
I've been with Pocket Casts for like 6 months now. Before that, I was using Downcast for a few years.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Big fan of Pocket Casts but I really just dislike the new version they put out. Overcast has been my go-to for a while and it just works for what I want.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Skeezy posted:

Big fan of Pocket Casts but I really just dislike the new version they put out. Overcast has been my go-to for a while and it just works for what I want.
It took a decent amount of loving with settings but I finally got it just how I like it and I don't think it's missing any key features I need or anything.

Plus I save a bunch of time by using it!

:911:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 13, 2018

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It took a decent amount of loving with settings but I finally got it just how I like it and I don't think it's missing any key features I need or anything.

Jesus just that trim silence number is a lot.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

MarcusSA posted:

*cough*

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

MarcusSA posted:

The skipping is the impressive one to me Because holy hell imagine pressing skip however many times it takes to skip 14 hours in 30s increments :stare:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Truecar live read: 2 skips
Lifelock live read: 3 skips
Come on to our facebook, check out our patreon: 4 skips and sometimes that's not enough
Stamps.com: 2 skips
Caspar: 1 skip

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Boris Galerkin posted:

The skipping is the impressive one to me Because holy hell imagine pressing skip however many times it takes to skip 14 hours in 30s increments :stare:
I skip most ads, and I listen to Guys We hosed every week which has like a solid 10 or 15 minutes of ad reads, so multiply that by however many weeks it's been since I started using Pocket Casts!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I think I just dislike that instead of deleting Podcasts it archives them or whatever and it’s just a weird flow for me. Tbh I’m just used to Overcast at this point and don’t want to change back.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Is anyone familiar with the Weather Underground app in the OP? My parents are looking for an app that will alert their phones when the temperature drops below a point. They have a pool and want to turn off the pump during the day to stop using so much electricity but they're worried that if they turn it off during the day they'll forget to turn it back if the temperature drops or won't check the weather enough. The Weather Underground app seems like it can do that (also, its surprisingly hard to find anything that will do that) but I'm not sure if I'm setting it up properly.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dear lord the new YouTube update is bad. Stripped out the uploader names (possibly a bug?) and every time you touch the screen to scroll, the video underneath gets a shimmer effect. Ugly as.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

Is anyone familiar with the Weather Underground app in the OP? My parents are looking for an app that will alert their phones when the temperature drops below a point. They have a pool and want to turn off the pump during the day to stop using so much electricity but they're worried that if they turn it off during the day they'll forget to turn it back if the temperature drops or won't check the weather enough. The Weather Underground app seems like it can do that (also, its surprisingly hard to find anything that will do that) but I'm not sure if I'm setting it up properly.

You could use IFTTT to use Weather Underground for alerts, but I haven't tired the specific temperature one. I just use it to tell me if rain is coming today/the next day, and for the time of Sunset.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What’s the go to openvpn client? Picked up an IPad Pro and would love to VPN home. Some options out there, just looking for firsthand suggestions.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Martytoof posted:

What’s the go to openvpn client? Picked up an IPad Pro and would love to VPN home. Some options out there, just looking for firsthand suggestions.

I’m using the OpenVPN app

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

svenkatesh posted:

I’m using the OpenVPN app

Yep. That's the one I use on both the phone and the iPad.

One thing. If you have T-Mobile, you'll need to set up an IPv6 VPN. Not sure about the others.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Is there any way to change the firefox ios icon? The black background looks like a graphics bug.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Is there a non-jailbreak Kodi equivalent that allows me to copy my kids ripped DVDs/MKV files from my NAS to an iPad and display/play them with the movie posters, artwork and such?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

Is there a non-jailbreak Kodi equivalent that allows me to copy my kids ripped DVDs/MKV files from my NAS to an iPad and display/play them with the movie posters, artwork and such?

If you have a PC in the house, you could set up a Plex server. You could also run Plex directly on the NAS but that’s generally not a great experience unless you have a really nice one.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Weedle posted:

If you have a PC in the house, you could set up a Plex server. You could also run Plex directly on the NAS but that’s generally not a great experience unless you have a really nice one.

Thanks, but I’m thinking of more of a mobile experience. Right now they have cheap Fire tablets and a side loaded Kodi for long car trips. Santa is bringing two iPads, so I was thinking of loading it up in a similar way if I could.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Silly Burrito posted:

Thanks, but I’m thinking of more of a mobile experience. Right now they have cheap Fire tablets and a side loaded Kodi for long car trips. Santa is bringing two iPads, so I was thinking of loading it up in a similar way if I could.

Are you talking about loading the iPad up with various media locally?

Then either VLC or Infuse should do the trick (not sure about VLC, but Infuse is pretty decent Plex client).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

VLC can download from a URL you paste in to it. For more automation you can pass it URLs via the shortcuts app.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Proteus Jones posted:

Are you talking about loading the iPad up with various media locally?

Then either VLC or Infuse should do the trick (not sure about VLC, but Infuse is pretty decent Plex client).

Yes, exactly. I’m assuming with VLC, I would just have a list of files to play, not the movie posters and descriptions and everything else. Which ultimately will work too, just didn’t know if Kodi had an iOS equivalent for local media. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Silly Burrito posted:

nPlayer does pretty well at this.