Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Not a goddamned dime for the wall jfc

I'm not American, but is there really nothing you would trade for 5 billion for the wall?

He won't get far with those 5 billion, I think. Legalizing Dreamers has been a long term goal anyway. The wall isn't popular, DACA is. Would it not be politically advantageous for Democrats to get the Dreamers safe status, while the Republicans get blamed for building an unnecessary wall? And Dreamers really do deserve to be safe from overzealous ICE employees. I can't see Republicans agree to DACA should Dems take the presidency (but not the Senate) in 2020. And even if Dems have unified control of government, they would still need GOP votes to get anything done in the Senate, unless they nuke the filibuster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Torrannor posted:

I'm not American, but is there really nothing you would trade for 5 billion for the wall?

He won't get far with those 5 billion, I think. Legalizing Dreamers has been a long term goal anyway. The wall isn't popular, DACA is. Would it not be politically advantageous for Democrats to get the Dreamers safe status, while the Republicans get blamed for building an unnecessary wall? And Dreamers really do deserve to be safe from overzealous ICE employees. I can't see Republicans agree to DACA should Dems take the presidency (but not the Senate) in 2020. And even if Dems have unified control of government, they would still need GOP votes to get anything done in the Senate, unless they nuke the filibuster.

dude it's a literal monument to racism

i am completely behind the congressmen who vote never to pay a cent towards a wall no matter what concessions the republicans offer

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
That and the wall is so DOA that there's no point putting a single cent towards it because the next administration would campaign on tearing it down.

gently caress it, Trump says he's a billionaire. He can pay for it himself (then send the bill to Mexico).

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

gently caress it- he can have his 5 billion for his Border Farce, but only if it comes from legalized MJ sales, and he reinstates DACA protection.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

didn’t he do some poo poo with hemp

I mean I guess that’s cool & good amidst all this turmoil

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I want the democrats to hold loving firm on this point, and force senate republicans to make a goddamned choice.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Godholio posted:

I want the democrats to hold loving firm on this point, and force senate republicans to make a goddamned choice.

Well ol' Steel Spine Schumer will get right on that.

I mean it's probably going to happen anyway, but more through the leader of the Republican party making GBS threads his bed and declaring that everyone needs to roll around in it to MAGA than through principled and resolute opposition.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Fallom posted:

i am completely behind the congressmen who vote never to pay a cent towards a wall no matter what concessions the republicans offer

Not only that, but it's validation for every racist and isolationist motherfucker like Trump, Miller, and Bannon that their dreams of a white ethnostate can be achieved, so long as they dangle a big enough carrot in exchange. There can be no compromise here.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

didn’t he do some poo poo with hemp

The farm bill that was signed last week legalized industrial hemp, but that was the result of months of horse trading in the ag committee.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

lmao holy moly did i pick a bad time to buy a house without selling my current house first

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Torrannor posted:

Congress has been telling military survivors that it's too expensive to stop ripping off their benefits with a bullshit offset. $5 billion would pay for a repeal of that offset for as many years.

gently caress this wall straight to hell.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

lmao holy moly did i pick a bad time to buy a house without selling my current house first

Yes please don't tank the world economy before I've sold my house tia.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

man gently caress y’all someone gotta be collateral damage

I feel I’ve been saying this forever but I feel like things are going to get bad, real fast.

Lake of Methane posted:

The farm bill that was signed last week legalized industrial hemp, but that was the result of months of horse trading in the ag committee.

I guess a lot of shady poo poo was unsurprisingly snuck in

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Dec 22, 2018

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Fallom posted:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/sarahnferris/status/1075926656290881536

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Well, it's not everyday that you see exactly how out of contact with their constituents these people really are.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Torrannor posted:

I wonder if Trump would accept DACA legislation in exchange for the wall.

Would that be a bad deal? 5 billion is just some starting money, and eminent domain lawsuits will probably hold up a lot of the construction.

gently caress you not one loving cent for his goddamn wall.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I really hate to be ~it's the principle~ but uh, yeah.

I also realized as I was getting groceries that the totally-not-renamed-NAFTA is also dead, because congress won't agree to it. So most likely the entire accomplishment of 2016-2018's legislative cycle is blowing a 2tn hole in the deficit.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
For me to give $5 billion for the wall willingly, it'd have to come with like... a successful constitutional convention to get rid of the senate entirely.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

mlmp08 posted:

For me to give $5 billion for the wall willingly, it'd have to come with like... a successful constitutional convention to get rid of the senate entirely.

For $5 Billion I better get three constitutional amendments, including right to abortion and ERA.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Top 3 amendments would probably be: abolish the senate, remove lifetime appointment for judges, and, uh... oops, I forgot the third one

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

mlmp08 posted:

Top 3 amendments would probably be: abolish the senate, remove lifetime appointment for judges, and, uh... oops, I forgot the third one

Abolish the electoral college.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

mlmp08 posted:

electoral college

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
It was a Rick Perry joke, but fine.

Reminder that Rick Perry is among Trump's most competent and reasonable cabinet appointments, some-loving-how.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

It was a Rick Perry joke, but fine.

Reminder that Rick Perry is among Trump's most competent and reasonable cabinet appointments, some-loving-how.

Rick Perry was one of the only Trump appointees with actual executive branch experience.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I just want to point out that this man is an elected official in a state pretty much known for poverty. Living hand to mouth and dropping the N-bomb is like PA bread and butter.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

psydude posted:

Rick Perry was one of the only Trump appointees with actual executive branch experience.

He also realized how out of his league he was with energy's portfolio and apparently defers to his career people for a ton of stuff.

I mean Rick Perry's dumb as gently caress, but at least he's got enough intelligence to realize he's better off deferring to more qualified people. Which is something President Cheeto is unable to do.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

mlmp08 posted:

Term limits on Congresscritters.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Actual campaign finance reform, congressional term limits, something something healthcare.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
think bigger friends

amendment banning the republican party on pain of death
also banning police

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1076514318458458113?s=20

:discourse:

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
You give racists a win on the wall and then you've got another charlottesville ready to go. If you're lucky it'll just be a charlottesville. Super lucky if it's just one.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/1076512948598632448

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/1076515473049640961

I want a Mission Complete sign like from Star Fox to wrap up GWOT

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Just :lol: at the idea that Turkey would do anything in Syria aside from wiping out as many Kurds as possible before leaving themselves, and leaving ISIS untouched.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

mlmp08 posted:

As long as we're amending, why not skip papering over the symptom du jour and try to address some causes?
1. Cap political financing at 10k a year total by an individual, corporation or other association.
Cap campaign funding at a set amount per population eligible to vote, with allowances for inflation.
Provide matching funds up to the maximum for following additional big/corporate contribution restrictions.
2. Regraduate income taxes. Compensation above 50 times the poverty level taxed at 95%. Corporate profits allocated 50% to capital improvement or across the board compensation increases, 25% to across the board compensation increases and 25% to shareholders.
3. Trial experience for trial judges, judicial or academic experience for appellate judges, something else to depoliticize them.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

lol wait he thinks we've been in Syria dealing with ISIL for 7 years? Operation Inherent Resolve didn't start until 2014-2015.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

A Bad Poster posted:

Just :lol: at the idea that Turkey would do anything in Syria aside from wiping out as many Kurds as possible before leaving themselves, and leaving ISIS untouched.

Setting up cheap oil deals with ISIS in return for stomping out Kurds.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
It’d be cool if half of or all trial judges had to have substantive defense experience instead of predominantly coming from a prosecutorial background.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
If I were American, and dreaming about constitutional amendments, I would look at the system of directly elected Representatives that massively favor rural regions and states.

Even a ban on gerrymandering won't help, because the lowest population states still get an advantage (if you have districts, they need to cross state lines), and single member districts are bad in general if your voters are highly concentrated in cities (if you don't go with something like Mixed-Member Proportional [look it up!], you should at least get multi-member districts).

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

What the hell is all this "mostly fake" and "largely defeated" poo poo, since when does he leave the door open for acknowledging the legitimacy of opposing points