Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I bet she looks like that big round egg-lookin' thing from that quick shot near the end of the OP, that's basically the only shot of the OP left whose meaning isn't obvious by now.

Bonus, slightly less confident guess: I bet Kaiju Akane doesn't move or directly attack anyone at all and her massive body is just a shell to hide away from the world because poo poo is big and scary and full of people she doesn't understand how to relate to. The goal will be to get Rikka into the shell to give Akane a hug before Akane's freakout indirectly destroys the simulation somehow, with Alexis running interference because he's a fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Spiritus Nox posted:

Bonus, slightly less confident guess: I bet Kaiju Akane doesn't move or directly attack anyone at all and her massive body is just a shell to hide away from the world because poo poo is big and scary and full of people she doesn't understand how to relate to. The goal will be to get Rikka into the shell to give Akane a hug before Akane's freakout indirectly destroys the simulation somehow, with Alexis running interference because he's a fucker.

That's a good guess and even if it isn't literally true sounds like a good metaphor that they could use.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

Well, shits from our perspective at least. I'm sure pigs and cows would have some words and bullets for us were they competent enough to manage that, even if they were all farmed in a 'humane' manner.

Also I swear there used to be a Madoka discussion thread for all this, we should probably get back to Akane somehow becoming a Kaiju next episode.

Yeah, Madoka discussion would probably be better suited for this thread.

Back on topic, I'm kind of curious how they manage to deal with Akane, fight Alexis at some point and also wrap up the whole fake reality plotline in a single episode. This has been really good so far so hopefully it won't trip up at the very end.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm kind of expecting the show to leave a lot of questions - especially more technical ones about precisely how the setting works - unanswered, tbh. I'm not super worried though, the writer's been around a long time and worked on Big O back in the day, so between that and how good the rest of the show has been I'm reasonably confident they'll have the right ideas about which questions need answering and which don't in the time we have left.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Spiritus Nox posted:

the writer's been around a long time and worked on Big O back in the day,
It all makes sense :psyduck:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Knowing that retroactively makes Big O make more sense, too.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Akane's Kaiju is definitely going to be a psyche reflection of some sort. Either a shell as mentioned or just an u steady zombie blob that lashes out at whatever.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
Watched the first few of this and liked it, but got caught up with things until now. Just checking, is it worth continuing or was there a massive downturn in quality? Darling in the Franxx has made me cautious.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Eponymous posted:

Watched the first few of this and liked it, but got caught up with things until now. Just checking, is it worth continuing or was there a massive downturn in quality? Darling in the Franxx has made me cautious.

It is extremely good and not at all like Darling In The Franxx.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The latter half of Gridman is way better than an already decent first half, so no, it does not suffer from the Franxx fault.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Eponymous posted:

Ibblebibble posted:

The latter half of Gridman is way better than an already decent first half, so no, it does not suffer from the Franxx fault.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eponymous posted:

This show doesn't have that much staff crossover with Franxx, at least in the creative roles. It's also basically the exact opposite of Franxx in every meaningful way, not just in terms of starting decent and getting great but in terms of its deftness of tone and actually giving the female characters arcs instead of removing their personality halfway through.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UpCCmjYKRY

also neat little fanmade music video

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm not super worried though, the writer's been around a long time and worked on Big O back in the day.

Ah, thats all I need to know to be confident in how :psyboom: the ending will be.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm kind of expecting the show to leave a lot of questions - especially more technical ones about precisely how the setting works - unanswered, tbh. I'm not super worried though, the writer's been around a long time and worked on Big O back in the day, so between that and how good the rest of the show has been I'm reasonably confident they'll have the right ideas about which questions need answering and which don't in the time we have left.

Wait a sec, this is a Chiaki J. Konaka joint?

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
No, it's the one of the other writers on Big O, Keiichi Hasegawa https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keiichi_Hasegawa

That said, SSSS.Gridman as response to/in the context of the Big O 2 finale (which involved a virtual world no longer being repaired after a cataclysm involving the creator of that virtual world, and the show also involved mass amnesia as a key plot point) is another interesting lens to view each show through. It'll be interesting if at it's heart, Gridman is just a slicker, non-noir Big O 2 at the end of the day.

Real Edit: In fact, Hasegawa wrote my personal favorite episode of the first Big O series, "Winter Night Phantom," the events of which eventually suggest that the events in Big O are stuck in some kind of referential, dream logic-like loop. In fact, I want to say it was even the same episode number as Gridman's dream episode. So, if anyone can bring Gridman home with a solid closing statement, it's him.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Dec 21, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the real hasegawa charmpoint is that he wrote astro boy 2003

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

the real hasegawa charmpoint is that he wrote astro boy 2003

I actually watched that. I remember enjoying it, but fifteen years is a long time. Wonder how it held up.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Good luck finding the drat thing. Sony did thier somewhat shoddy dub (Lara Jill Millar was like 30 different people in that thing) and buggered off to parts unknown with it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Took me 30 seconds but ya know, depends how legal you want it lol

E: ugh either dub only or HK subs for half of it, forget I said anything

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

I actually watched that. I remember enjoying it, but fifteen years is a long time. Wonder how it held up.
imo its the best astro boy material by far not counting Pluto

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

God I cant wait for the Pluto anime

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Eponymous posted:

Franxx was never bad :colbert:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

I only saw some episodes of the wonky dub but it's consistently one of the most gorgeous television anime ever made

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

ViggyNash posted:

Franxx was never good :colbert:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

boredsatellite posted:

God I cant wait for the Pluto anime

I was over the loving moon when that got announced, I loving adore pluto.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

It sounds like I've been living under a rock and missed something amazing. I loved the manga for Pluto. When the hell did this get announced?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Pharohman777 posted:

Ah, thats all I need to know to be confident in how :psyboom: the ending will be.

Keep in mind that one of the conditions of Cartoon Network funding season two was that everything would be explained, which is one of the reasons Big O's finale was as whackadoodle as it was.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CrashScreen posted:

It sounds like I've been living under a rock and missed something amazing. I loved the manga for Pluto. When the hell did this get announced?
Late last year. Genco and Studio M2 are apparently on it.

it was pretty lowkey, no PV or anything, so I can get missing it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Also, that wasn't the first time a Pluto series was announced.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Ahem, I kindly ask you to not misquote me about Franxx, which was good.

I wasn't around for that thread so IDK what the goon sentiment was, but I generally enjoyed it and thought it did a lot of cool things especially in the first half. It certainly went off the rails in the second half, but for me it had the same escalation whiplash and subsequent feels-punching that made Gurren Lagaan so drat lovable and memorable, albeit somehow less coherent.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
general sentiment is that it's like that meme image of someone shoving a stick in their own bicycle wheels and falling over and the stick depending on your view is either

- The main romance
- Weird undertones about sexuality and relationships
- Another loving space finale, this time barely animated
- The complete waste of 90% of the cast
- some combination is all of the above

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Blockhouse posted:

this time barely animated
Good news on this one is that production of the show wrapped up somewhere around early November, I think? So I highly doubt there's gonna be any production clusterfuck, from the look of things.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

In general Gridman has really shown very little of what made Franxxx uncomfortable from the outset and as many people have pointed out there's no overlap in the major staff so it's not really appropriate to use one to determine the quality of the other.

For Gridman I am cautiously optimistic about the ending. I was surprised that end of the field trip was not the world just resetting as I had posted, but was in fact what people were speculating was that part of the world existing only for the brief moment that it was needed so I feel like I'm excited that other speculation might also be true with regards to Akane's social and mental problems and how all the characters fit into what might be a simulation to help her rehabilitation. I do think maybe that might be a bit much to cram into a final episode, but as I was surprised before, I feel like it's reasonable that I could be surprised again.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Gridman only has one episode to ruin it's sterling reputation, so this last episode will have to be bad on an unprecedented scale to really do that. Franxx on the other hand built up it's catastrophic plunge in audience endearment starting around the mid-way point culminating in a villain reveal and entire final arc of absolute garbage. Gridman has it's work cut out for it if it wants to be turned on by the fans so absolutely like Franxx was.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Considering the homage to toku and mecha we've seen, I'm very much looking forward to the OP kicking on and and Gridman Beaming something dead as heck

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

galagazombie posted:

Gridman only has one episode to ruin it's sterling reputation, so this last episode will have to be bad on an unprecedented scale to really do that. Franxx on the other hand built up it's catastrophic plunge in audience endearment starting around the mid-way point culminating in a villain reveal and entire final arc of absolute garbage. Gridman has it's work cut out for it if it wants to be turned on by the fans so absolutely like Franxx was.

tbf the last episode is probably the easiest one to mess up.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The callback to the old gridman series is amazing.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011