Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

JBP posted:

Ah well gently caress you then game I'll just take the big boring numbers :(

Sword Dance can though, and it’s the same damage multiplier, and most importantly, Eleven dual wielding beam sabers to go full ham on a dude feels real real good the same way Unbridled Blade does.

(you need to be fairly deep in the postgame to grab sword dance and not neglect the Luminary skill tree though. :()

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Sword dance is awesome and was my number one used skill. Actually I forgot that you need all 4 panels around it, still it's worth getting ASAP. The only things you need from luminary are pep up and omniheal tbqh.

And evne then you don't Need omniheal for a while.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 19, 2018

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Light Gun Man posted:

I'm firmly in the more hits = more crits camp

I'm nearing the end of act 3 and this is very noticeable now that I have equipment that adds 10% to crit. Maybe it has something to do with my skill point allocation but I thought she was pretty mediocre in Act 2. Overall, there seems to be some interesting power curves for all of the characters where their effectiveness changes between acts. Sylvando, for example, is very good in Act 1.

Then there's a magic user, that I don't want to spoil, who was crummy for the entire game. I was doing the Wheel of Harma last night and I noticed that they have a spell that uses all of their MP. It turns out this spell can do more than 7k damage to all enemies which is far and beyond all other characters combined.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

MegaMagic/madante/magic burst has been loving ridiculous in all games since it appeared (6 was first I think?)

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I think Erik does more damage with dual wielded full damage swords after oomphle and divide than he does with oomphle and divide and the dagger status setup, because he can pump them out faster.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So people who have or are playing 11, what'd you go with for the hero's name?

I made the mistake of picking Guile not knowing there was an entire skill tree of the same name until nine hours in. :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I named Hero "Mina" because the game asks you for a name without telling you it's a gender locked character.

"Mina pockets the mini medal" hehe

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I chose Wiglaf because DQ is a classic hero's tale style story

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I chose my real name because that's how I roll.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I chose my real name because that's how I roll.

:same: but also it's only for Dragon Quest that I do this

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I haven't played XI yet (hoping that the Switch port won't be shite), but I'm currently playing DQ3 mobile and DW4 for NES. In both games, I've named my hero "Gormless"1 because I find that hilarious for some reason and when it's abbreviated to four letters it makes "Gorm", which isn't bad for short.

1If you don't know what it means, look it up.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Bort

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Is there a table that shows how many skill points each character should have at each level in DQXI? I'm considering getting all accolades and read that it's way easier to farm the seeds in act 2, but I'm not sure how many I've already used and on who.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Shugojin posted:

:same: but also it's only for Dragon Quest that I do this

Sup self-insert buddy.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
I named him Ven, short for Eleven.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

So many people using their own names.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://gematsu.com/2018/12/dragon-quest-xi-s-launches-in-2019-in-japan-teaser-trailer

The Switch version is launching in Japan in 2019 with optional voice overs and more choices of who to marry/live with.

Little annoyed now since I've only just made it to Act 2 and didn't know that.

Edit: Also used my real name for the Hero.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

OhFunny posted:

https://gematsu.com/2018/12/dragon-quest-xi-s-launches-in-2019-in-japan-teaser-trailer

The Switch version is launching in Japan in 2019 with optional voice overs and more choices of who to marry/live with.

Edit: Also used my real name for the Hero.

so help me god if veronica isn't just a live with similar to the boys :murder:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I hope that if they do let you marry Veronica, she will at least be turned into an adult otherwise :cripes:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Always interested when SE is forced to backport stuff from the western version.

"You guys had a loving run button?!"

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
Marrying Sylvando is the only real option.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I hope that if they do let you marry Veronica, she will at least be turned into an adult otherwise :cripes:

Don't worry! If you marry Veronica then they will simply make the protag use his child modal for the rest of the game so it's all even stevens.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

OhFunny posted:

Well for one I hope this means the other versions also get updates and it won't be a case of the Switch having the most content.

And on the other, I hope it doesn't just mean only your party members but surprise options too like Miko or Serenica.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Veronica's voice acting is seriously great :allears: Every time I boot up this game after taking a break from it, I just revel in her combat dialogue.

Don't say I didn't waaarn yooouuu!

Mmmmm.... woo!

Mmmmm.... burn!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Is DQ XI a "finished" game? Or are there expansions/DLCs coming?

How does it play with keyboard+mouse? I don't have a controller and am eyeing it at the Steam sale.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

pmchem posted:

How does it play with keyboard+mouse? I don't have a controller and am eyeing it at the Steam sale.

I'm too destitute to afford a $36 game, but I would like to know these things too.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

RareAcumen posted:

Well for one I hope this means the other versions also get updates and it won't be a case of the Switch having the most content.
It will absolutely be a case of the Switch version having the most content. At best the PS4/PC versions will get the Switch extra content as paid DLC. How else will they encourage fans to double-dip?

RareAcumen posted:

And on the other, I hope it doesn't just mean only your party members but surprise options too like Miko or Serenica.
I'm all for some dark-horse options, but Miko has a son older than Hero. That would make things a little weird. At least with Serenica, you could argue that there's a sort of Inuyasha situation going on, where Hero is the reincarnation of her original beloved. And I'm not really sure how many other plot-relevant characters are realistic options.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

pmchem posted:

it's finished and there is no dlc or anything like that. the switch port will supposedly have a couple bonus things but that's it.

i have no idea how it plays with keyboard and mouse but it's not, you know, a very complicated game, i image it'd be fine

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

pmchem posted:

its like 100+ hours and one could possibly complain that its too complete considering that basically every single loose end in the story is tied up by the conclusion. if it gets any dlc at all ill be really surprised.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I often name the main character Hero, but for this game I went with Hale. My grandmother used to play every Dragon Warrior game for the NES, and she would name every main character Hale, because she was a mystic/witch and some kinda fortune told her once that surrounding herself with health would being further health, so she named all nameable RPG characters the same thing.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

pmchem posted:

i tried with keyboard and mouse, but it was pretty awful. Controller was much much better.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

pmchem posted:

Game is good, buy it. Ran great on my PC, never crashed once, although I have a 1080ti/8700k so pretty overkill. KB/mouse sucked, I used xbox 360 controller which was great.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Slider posted:

Game is good, buy it. Ran great on my PC, never crashed once, although I have a 1080ti/8700k so pretty overkill. KB/mouse sucked, I used xbox 360 controller which was great.

It ran really solidly for me with settings really high on my old i5 4700k and 950. Also an xbox 360 controller :hfive:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

RareAcumen posted:

Let me marry Pang

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

DQ XI is the closest thing to being in an episode of a Toriyama cartoon. I can't quite put my finger on why I like the visuals so much, it's all very crisp?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

Let me marry Pang

Yeah, tons of options beyond the obvious ones like Serena and Jade. Marrying the mermaid queen as an option too, why not?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

pmchem posted:

KB/M is ok but not great. Controller is far, far better if you can get a cheap wired logitech gamepad or something.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, tons of options beyond the obvious ones like Serena and Jade. Marrying the mermaid queen as an option too, why not?

Maybe you can wed the smoking hot (cold?) ice witch babe too or the portrait ghost lady. Lots of options if they let you loose on all the puff-puff girls also ❤️

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Gotta have the option to marry Erdwin. gently caress up all the timelines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

C-Calasmos-kun...