Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Cryostasis is awesome, I just wish the shooting and controls were better. If it ran well on modern PCs and had less sloppy controls, it'd be one of the best unique horror games I've played I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

My favorite thing is the hot/cold health system. It was so satisfying to cross through a cold stretch, preserving what little health the game would let me max out at, then reach a safe spot at the end of it where I could charge it back up again. I could even put up with some of the poopy combat if it didn't seem to tank the framerate on any rig no matter how new or old it is.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Having to use your own (very limited) supply of external light sources as the tiniest little boost to your heat just so you could make it to the next major source was really scary and brutal!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Belated response, but I guess Civvie 11 is cool, then? I mean, if even Arivia has nothing negative to say about him, then I have to assume so. It's just I've seen him in my YouTube recommendations lately, and I'm wary those basically telling me to go watch cool videos from guys that later turn out to be less than savory. (That said, YT recommendations also introduced me to Lazy Game Reviews, who seems to be upstanding as far as I've seen these past... roughly five years, given I started with this review of Santa Claus in Trouble when it was new, so sometimes they actually pan out.)

Ularg posted:

I'm thinking less quake-looking and more Halo/Marathon/System Shock. We have plenty of brown stonework throwback shooters.
I'm not sure which reaction of mine is more appropriate so I'm just gonna post both of them:
  1. I mean, it's confirmed to be using the Quake engine - but that's just an engine. You can use whatever palette for whatever aesthetic you want when doing that, so maybe it'll be more of a fuchsia-colored space station game instead. IDK.
  2. We do? I mean I guess Amid Evil being medieval would have plenty of stonework, and DUSK is super-duper Quake-y so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it got down to brown bricks erelong (I've only played up through E2M1, but Episode 1 didn't seem especially castle-like...), but that's all that comes to mind. Admittedly I haven't tried literally every recent FPS throwback that's come around of late, though.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I usually give recommendations a try if they just go and talk about the game and avoid politics and that poo poo. I'm playing a lot of Battlefield V lately and if you watch some jackfrags or any popular BF youtuber you end with lovely recommendations like videos ranting about "how women soldiers in BFV ruined the game and made EA/DICE score low sales". I avoid that stuff immediately.

I watched Civvie11 and seemed just a guy playing old videogames with a funny "salty" tone if the game sucks (like with his Blood 2 videos). I think it helps that is a small channel wich seems to be working because the guy's patreon and not caring really about YouTube policies.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Groovelord Neato posted:

i think halo is boring looking (and not old school but that may be my age talking) but i'm down for the others.

Halo is older now than MIDI Maze was when Halo came out.

Definitely of a different era than the Wolf 3D - Unreal Tournament period this thread usually focuses on, but still plenty old in its own right.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

What's wrong with civvie?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Civvie good. Icarus best. GGGman eventually pissed me off, the shtick got real old in our age of dead irony.

E: VVV LGR Good too.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Dec 22, 2018

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Politics aside, I stopped watching GGGman videos because he just...never seemed genuinely interested or excited about anything he reviewed. He'd talk in this breathless and monotonous drone and even when he was giving relative "rave" reviews about a game, it seemed more like how a person might complement their federal taxes being less obnoxious to file this year (as compared to last) instead of a rad FPS game. I enjoy watching people like LGR because the dude seems to really like the poo poo he dives in to, even though he's still capable of offering fair criticism for a game or piece of equipment.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Dec 22, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sethsez posted:

Halo is older now than MIDI Maze was when Halo came out.

Definitely of a different era than the Wolf 3D - Unreal Tournament period this thread usually focuses on, but still plenty old in its own right.

*withers away into dust*

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I appreciate Icarus' love of lots of blood.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I love Icarus channel if only for his doom mod madness videos. LGR is a favourite too.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Ancient DOS Games was knowledgeable, if not particularly charismatic, but he's stepped down from doing regular DOS games, as he "had run out of games he felt like playing" at the 250th video.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
If you like LGR, his friend PushingUpRoses is kind of complementary, covering mostly point-and-click adventure games of about the same vintage as the stuff LGR covers.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Icarus is good too? Never watched any of his vids. Ganna check him out. Also I love Civvie. Unfortunately I don't find the Postal series very amusing so those are the only videos of his I skip. Superbunnyhop has a real cool review of System Shock from a few years ago and he points out how dope the music is, which I feel is an underappreciated aspect.

I mean listen to this poo poo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfjIpc_Lbjk

This is me whenever this song plays:

This is the cutest thing :allears:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Civvie is good yes. He does make a couple left-wing political jokes (some anti-Trump stuff, going after Paul Joseph Watson) and there’s a couple times I’ve winced at him rolling with something edgy (the Doom movie for example). But he does an important, good job of contextualizing and explaining bigoted poo poo like the Shadow Warrior VA jokes or the Taliban in Postal. It’s certainly not the focus of his channel (in contrast to say GGGman) so really don’t worry about it. I only bring it up in comparison because people asked.

Icarus is pretty much the flipside of that. Same idea, doesn’t do a ton of politics or bigoted content or whatever. A couple asides about SJWs. But his Trump Doom review was cringe-inducing as gently caress.

I’d watch both pretty much sight unseen, no problem. Same goes for LGR of course.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Civvie seems alright, can't say I'm much for his MST3k-y robots schtick, though. Thankfully, that stuff seems pretty skippable for the most part. The way he speaks amuses me, he sounds like a disgruntled trucker trying to tell a confused tourist how to get to the hotel from the airport, except instead it's how to explode a gargoyle.

I've only seen a couple of GGGman or whatever videos, but his approach felt pretty formulaic, like he was going down a checklist of Points I Need To Cover To Get This Video Out On A Regular Timeline So I Don't Lose Patreon Subs. Combine that with the way he reads out his script, and it feels... artificial?

Hi, it's me, the guy critiquing the vocal cadence on hobbyist videogame reviews.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Youtube keeps putting Icarus videos about Doom mods I've never heard of into my recommends and I'll keep watching them as long as they keep it up. I found out about Shadow of the Wool Ball that way, and it's a bunch of fun.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I wish Icarus didn't suck real bad at doom

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CJacobs posted:

I wish Icarus didn't suck real bad at doom

At least he’s not the Polygon guy.

It is funny to watch him die from his own mishaps every 3 shots or so in his Hideous Destructor review though :v:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
One thing I learned from watching Civvies Pro-Blood video is that Blood would be a much better game if it had Ion Maiden style headshots.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

For some positivity for something besides Civvie:

If you like Noclip and haven't watched Ahoy, go watch Ahoy. Mainly did mini videos on real life guns for a while, then switched to long-form documentaries on games like Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein, Polybius, and other general gaming topics. Even when there are long stretches of "I already know this," I can still watch due to his editing, presentation, and narration.

LGR is good. I could watch him trying to run games on old rigs forever.

I tend to skip through quite a bit of Icarus' footage just to keep things moving, but I still like him enough that I'll click on his videos when I see it in my recommended.

Bunnyhop does shooters once in a while, but he's one of my favorite reviewers. His very older videos where he'd just get things plain wrong are my only real problems.

Another "not always first-person stuff, but does quite a lot on it" is Shammy. It took me a really long time of people recommending me Shammy's "Actual Reviews" for me to finally like him. I just couldn't get over his angry middle schooler-sounding voice which is kind of unfair, but still was a thing for me. Then I saw that he's actually got a bit of humility and his Mother's Day Outlast 2 review was when I finally really started to like him. I had just finished the game and hated it and felt that people weren't touching on the features I hated about it like the plot just being "Things Happening for a few hours." Worth pointing out that he's one of a handful of Youtubers to actually get me to do loud yelping laughs at some of his jokes (there's this bit in a No Man's Sky review which I'll say is probably the best call-back joke I've ever seen). I just wish he'd go back to his short-form concept reviews instead of his hour-long, twice-a-year rant videos.

For other stuff:
I stopped watching GGG when he couldn't stop talking about SJW poo poo. He stopped that, which was nice, but then I just got tired of him. He keeps doing this thing where he plays a semi-older game and goes "People calling this bad on release don't know what they're talking about. It's not that bad, they're just being hyperbolic," when maybe it got bad reviews before all the bugs and crashes were patched or it ran like garbage or had false advertising. His Colonial Marines thing was kind of when I stopped even caring a little. If I remember right, he barely touched on the fake previews and kind of mocked anyone for caring about that and "the game's really not that bad," when yeah, it kind of is bad, you just didn't pay $60 for the mess when it came out. I check him once in a while because he's helped me discover a lot of indie shooters like DUSK, Ion Maiden, Project Warlock, and a few others that I may not have heard of otherwise.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

gggmanlives is a chud?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Arivia posted:

At least he’s not the Polygon guy.

It is funny to watch him die from his own mishaps every 3 shots or so in his Hideous Destructor review though :v:

The polygon guy in Doom 2016 was really amusing and they melt down with people laughing (and mocking him at twitter).

:laffo:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Groovelord Neato posted:

gggmanlives is a chud?

He seemed unhappy that the mirrors edge sequel had multiple female characters in it, for example.

Guillermus posted:

The polygon guy in Doom 2016 was really amusing and they melt down with people laughing (and mocking him at twitter).

:laffo:

I feel bad about making fun of games journalists for game skills, and there's probably a legitamate reason behind this but it's still hilarious to watch someone, anyone, play that badly and then upload it to a professional channel.

Playing badly for youtube is the territory for us smaller creators.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

That and people weren't articulating or listening to the point that this is how reviewers were playing these games all these years and trashing on ones that weren't hallway shooters. So as a result, we didn't get shooters like DOOM for a long time.

Reminds me of that phase in the early 2000s after Halo where games were receiving hits to their score by virtue of not having vehicle sections. So as a result, every action game was given awful-to-mediocre vehicle sections.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 22, 2018

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Any tips for playing Forsaken? The game just feels incredibly hard, and my shields keep going to cheese.

I'm not sure the best way to dodge enemy fire, which I think is where I go wrong. I just get swarmed, and then I die

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The laughable part of polydoom was never the poor gameplay alone, because that doesn't exist in a vacuum. The reviewer didn't take the time to learn how to play before recording, then the video was recorded, edited, rendered, uploaded, and posted without a single person in a position of decisive power saying that maybe it doesn't represent the game well. It's incompetence from all sides, by at least a half dozen people who all share the blame for its existence. And that is really funny.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The fact that anybody cared about that video more than a day after it was uploaded and that we all know what the polygon Doom video is is an absolute indictment of video games as a hobby.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I dunno it's kind of like a food critic uploading a video of himself eating and it turns out he doesn't actually know how to hold cuttlery. Sure it doesn't mean his opinions on food aren't necessarily wrong, but it sure puts the doubt out there. You'd think a professional reviewer of x would know how to interact with the tools that let x happen. Plus there's the part where Nvidia, a graphics card company put out a video around the same time and it was the single best showcase of what the game was like from anybody, including the publishers.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

DatonKallandor posted:

I dunno it's kind of like a food critic uploading a video of himself eating and it turns out he doesn't actually know how to hold cuttlery. Sure it doesn't mean his opinions on food aren't necessarily wrong, but it sure puts the doubt out there. You'd think a professional reviewer of x would know how to interact with the tools that let x happen. Plus there's the part where Nvidia, a graphics card company put out a video around the same time and it was the single best showcase of what the game was like from anybody, including the publishers.

I didn't know about this video so I had to look it up, and yea it's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwAVoaZcN6Y

But I think it ends up being more emblematic of the difference between journalists and partners. You can see whoever is playing in the nvidia video has changed from the default crosshair, so they've obviously had time to play around with the game without worrying about blocks around NDAs. And it makes all the difference compared to a journalist who isn't necessarily the type that is experienced with shooters and excited for Doom but is just the best person that can get to play it and record it for work that is available for that appointment. On top of getting shuffled in and out on a tight schedule with all the other game journalists.

...The nature of using journliasts for pre-release hype and marketing is hell, is what I'm saying.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Developers have wised up to this lately and give out more pre-release keys to popular streamers who will probably hype your game for you and don't even cost anything extra besides the free poo poo you send to them.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Oh yeah, I also like Mr. Icarus. He seems like a decent chap - though I haven't watched (and don't ever intend to watch) his Trump Doom review, so if I'm wrong, I don't yet know it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Mega64 is the only video game related podcast or youtube I follow, and they aren't PC gamers for the most part. But they did make Doug Huggem.

Speaking of Jon St John, and titans of the biz, could use more video games starring David Hayter. I don't know why games are being made, hiring people who aren't David Hayter or Jon St John, it's very strange. Or if it's a woman, a role that Hayter could do with his range but wouldn't be right for him to hog the roles, Tara Strong or Wendee Lee, but the point is you don't get Nolan North.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
i marathoned all of civvie's videos last night in a bout of insomnia and aside from the postal videos they all seemed pretty good! he dosen't seem like a nazi!

boy oh boy do i love the modern day

anyway, y'all should check out noah caldwell-gervais and errant signal.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
regardless of GGman's politics the dude's incapable of saying the word 'poo poo' without adding all five vowels and hissing like cobra commander.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Noah caldwell-gervais is ok, but jesus christ does he say about ten times as many words than is required to get his point across.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Mandalore gaming is great and even has a new video out,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeK36g92zjo

It's not really a channel dedicated to any genre of games in particular but the videos are just all great. And great game choices too, new and old.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Plan Z posted:

That and people weren't articulating or listening to the point that this is how reviewers were playing these games all these years and trashing on ones that weren't hallway shooters. So as a result, we didn't get shooters like DOOM for a long time.

Reminds me of that phase in the early 2000s after Halo where games were receiving hits to their score by virtue of not having vehicle sections. So as a result, every action game was given awful-to-mediocre vehicle sections.

This is scary and sad.

The thing that confuses me about Polygon Doom is that the jerky, way overcompensating movements feel like someone used to a mouse learning to use a game controller. Did they get like their one actual Doom fan and make him play it on XBONE or something?

Also appreciating these recs for good channels, thanks y'all. I'm convalescent and watching a shitton of YouTube right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I've had a hunch not backed up by enough technical experience to be confident that the jerky over-corrections are because they're playing on whatever device (a laptop) that is recording the footage and not the source device for whatever reason. So there's a delay to play with.