Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

theflyingorc posted:

He unfollowed her already.

Seriously.

:lol: Coulter was a terrible troll when people still payed attention to her. Good riddance to bad attention-hound, in the most embarrassing way possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
My favorite thing about Ann Coulter, besides "nothing", is that she knows full well she's unlovable and is gonna die alone.

Also, fun fact, she and Laura Dern were both created by a secret government experiment to combine human and praying mantis DNA. Laura Dern is obviously the successful version.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There are now no more public schools in New Orleans. Katrina allowed charters to come in and take over a bunch of schools, and now as of this week the last public school is being taken over by a charter. This is just the beginning, as if this is allowed to stand you better believe that other cities will do the same. I know here in FL there is a constant push to give charters as much control as possible over schools (while of course requiring lower standards for them than their public counterparts).

https://twitter.com/JonathanCohn/status/1076508366606946304

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

quote:

It began at a “Make America Great” rally in Ohio. “We’re knocking the hell out of ISIS,” Trump told a cheering crowd, veering unexpectedly into foreign policy in a speech that was supposed to be about infrastructure. “We’ll be coming out of Syria, like, very soon. Let the other people take care of it now.”

The president was still riffing onstage when the frantic calls from the White House Situation Room began pouring in to aides traveling with the president. Mattis and Chief of Staff John F. Kelly scrambled to understand what the president was talking about.

While the Islamic State had been greatly weakened, Kurdish partner forces had a way to go before they could secure eastern Syria and ensure militants didn’t return.

After his bombshell, Trump walked off the stage in Ohio and took a swig of Diet Coke. Smiling broadly, he “knew that people were freaking out,” said one person familiar with the incident. An aide asked him how quickly he wanted the troops gone from Syria and Trump suggested that they should leave in about a week.

jfc

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

And people in this thread will still applaud this decision thinking it’s a good thing.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

OctaMurk posted:

USPS has been very good in most areas I've lived, but where I am currently they are largely useless and repeatedly deliver late, deliver to the wrong address, or mark items as delivered but bring them back to the post office. I would have given them the benefit of the doubt re being understaffed, but marking packages as delivered without delivering them reeks of either dishonesty or incompetence.

Pay and benefits isn't a cure all to poor perfomance, it's about the fact that great pay and benefits presumably gives you prime opportunity to hire hard working, loyal employees. If you hire poo poo people then nothing will get done no matter what pay and benefits you offer.

They used to be good to me, but here packages disappear for weeks on end between Allen Park in Detroit and my local post office. I guess there was a huge scandal here a year or so ago where the Detroit PS was tossing priority mail in their scrap trailer to be sent off to be destroyed

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

eke out posted:

that story came out late last night so would be unrelated to any of last week's losses

also: lol

https://twitter.com/kathrynw5/status/1076512982786555904

This tradition has always seemed strange to me. Isn't it a substantial security risk to signal where exactly in the White House the President is?

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Crabtree posted:

We should probably make every share holder of Fox, including Disney, pay government employees a big big bonus to the tune of several hundred thousand to each person.

Disney specifically is not buying any part of the Fox News organization. I own a couple shares of DIS and they sent me a big packet with the whole deal in it.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

ZypherIM posted:

You just know that he is still reading her tweets even if he unfollowed her.

Of course, it's very much a petulant 'I'm going to unfollow you! That'll show you!' act.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

And people in this thread will still applaud this decision thinking it’s a good thing.

There were a lot of posts that got painfully close to 'Better for others to die than for American soldiers to die'

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
https://twitter.com/jivedurkey/status/1076507611917414401?s=12

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

This is a very interesting thread on the differing media pressures on Republican and Democrat elected officials.

https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/1076085002604027904

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

There are now no more public schools in New Orleans. Katrina allowed charters to come in and take over a bunch of schools, and now as of this week the last public school is being taken over by a charter. This is just the beginning, as if this is allowed to stand you better believe that other cities will do the same. I know here in FL there is a constant push to give charters as much control as possible over schools (while of course requiring lower standards for them than their public counterparts).

just to elaborate a little bit because people don't realize how egregious the situation was that allow this: after katrina, the state of Louisiana changed the laws for New Orleans alone, allowing any public school under the state average of standardized test scores to be taken over by the state and turned into a charter.

not just failing schools. all below the mean - which turned out to be essentially all of them outside of the wealthiest whitest areas

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

This tradition has always seemed strange to me. Isn't it a substantial security risk to signal where exactly in the White House the President is?

Pretty sure the whitehouse has a good security system.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Welp...

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1076524945537204225

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/abbydphillip/status/1076529381802151937
https://twitter.com/abbydphillip/status/1076533277027127296
https://twitter.com/abbydphillip/status/1076534721113452544

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

That’s what we all expected.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Leaving our endless unwinnable wars is a bad thing?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

it's pretty simple, Trump had a long meeting with Senate Republicans who told him he needed to make a deal

so now he's going to talk to the people who don't matter at all but will happily tell him he's doing the right thing and shouldn't back down and everyone loves it

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

eke out posted:

it's pretty simple, Trump had a long meeting with Senate Republicans who told him he needed to make a deal

so now he's going to talk to the people who don't matter at all but will happily tell him he's doing the right thing and shouldn't back down and everyone loves it

Joe Manchin and the Problem Solver Caucus, come on down!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

mllaneza posted:

This is a very interesting thread on the differing media pressures on Republican and Democrat elected officials.

I knew without even clicking on it that it would be mostly "The Left has no mass media/propaganda machine and the MSM tries to 'both-sides' everything"

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Apropos of nothing, the longest government shutdown ever was 3 weeks long.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

readingatwork posted:

The ethics of the use of national military stuff has already caused one seismic derail. Don't steer us back into the fault!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i guess its gonna be the new houses job.

this poo poo is gonna be weeks isn't it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I know that David Hogg continues to pop up in the thread, but I'm curious what happened to Gonzalez, since she rarely appears now. What is she up to?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/1076536440400551937

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
What’s was the longest government shutdown and do ya think this one will be longer? I’m putting bets on yes, this will be the new longest.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
This is going to be a month long if not longer isn’t it? :psyduck:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Spiffster posted:

It has the potential to be but I doubt Trump can resist caving that long.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i guess its gonna be the new houses job.

this poo poo is gonna be weeks isn't it.

In just over a week the current bill from the House becomes a thing of the past and there's not much of a chance of the new class passing another wall-funding CR.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

holy poo poo, we will never open the goverment.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

holy poo poo, we will never open the goverment.

Then the GOP suffers.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Taerkar posted:

In just over a week the current bill from the House becomes a thing of the past and there's not much of a chance of the new class passing another wall-funding CR.

sure but trump won't sign it then because his brain is broke.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

McConnell trying to frame things so it isn't obviously only Trump's fault, dragging the Dems into it.

Knowing our idiotic media it'll probably work

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sure but trump won't sign it then because his brain is broke.

There would definitely be veto-proof majorities of both chambers toward passing a clean CR.

The only real question at that point is if Trump sits on the bill and deliberately waits to veto it to stall the re-opening of the government for no good reason.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

mllaneza posted:

I'm no expert, but one side seems way way more prone to violence and killing than the other. I think Reps are kind of afraid of their base

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

thefncrow posted:

There would definitely be veto-proof majorities of both chambers toward passing a clean CR.

The only real question at that point is if Trump sits on the bill and deliberately waits to veto it to stall the re-opening of the government for no good reason.

That is absolutely what he'll do. Sit on it for 9 days then veto.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Spiffster posted:

With the weird national field of Trumpian time dilation, i'tll be six months until the end of the year! :psyduck:X3!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DarkHorse posted:

McConnell trying to frame things so it isn't obviously only Trump's fault, dragging the Dems into it.

Knowing our idiotic media it'll probably work

maybe, but since trump is only inviting the suicide caucus lickspittles to his meeting it doesn't make him looks good.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

readingatwork posted:

It kinda is when you're telling your allies that depend on you to get hosed, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

KickerOfMice posted:

With the weird national field of Trumpian time dilation, i'tll be six months until the end of the year! :psyduck:X3!

The Good Place was right. We're in Jeremy Bearimy time.