Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Sophie is intensely boring for the first 5 hours or so and I can't say I recommend it for a series beginner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i really hate atelier sophie lol

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I care about video game romance because I want my video game buddies to be happy

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i guess probably doesn't help that gust's twitter posts some pretty racy promo art for their games

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

cheetah7071 posted:

Sophie is intensely boring for the first 5 hours or so and I can't say I recommend it for a series beginner

Eh, I think it's a lot better than Rorona which I've basically dropped because of how boring the first four terms have been. You can unlock new zones at your own pace like the Dusk games so you never meander in beginner zones for too long, but also the alchemy is a lot more well-adjusted so materials you have access to early on can result in really good bombs, as opposed to Rorona and even L&S where you rely so heavily upon specific items or catalysts for special alchemy effects you can barely do any experimentation. I actually think from a gameplay pacing standpoint, Sophie is one of the best games in the series

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

imagine caring about a thing lol, like why even, just go outside

Imagine observing media and having opinions on the characters in any way, lol

Also, made it to Vortigern and hoo boy, did not know just how bad poo poo went bad for Velvet to get so revenge obsessed.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I liked Sophie well enough, although it's not the best Atelier game. And maybe I'm just weird but I hate how the later games in any trilogy tend to get bogged down in "hey, you know these characters, right?!" at the expense of their own storytelling.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
badass to respond to gay people saying "as a gay person i like that these video games have gay people that i find cute" with "wow you're way too invested in video game relationships. what the gently caress is wrong with you"

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The Colonel posted:

badass to respond to gay people saying "as a gay person i like that these video games have gay people that i find cute" with "wow you're way too invested in video game relationships. what the gently caress is wrong with you"

This is such a disingenuous post I wasn't even going to respond to it but almost all of the Atelier relationships people here hype up only exist outside of the games in headcannon shipping which is outside of my sphere of interest, gay or straight. I cannot imagine giving a poo poo which dateable female in Persona3/4/5 is canon.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
E&T still going strong. I really enjoyed rushing to the big boss at the beginning of year 2 since the fight was pretty tough at that point. I'm sure if I had leveled more and crafted more new stuff from the chapter it would have been a touch easier. I really don't like the medicine girl. I don't know if it's her design or her voice or what but I find her annoying and am going to interact with her as little as possible.

I do see the complaints with E&T having a weak story. I don't know what any of these characters want to do or what kind of personal progress they're aiming for. It starts with 'okay, we've got our little department, let's do our best to not get closed down' and sort of maybe evolves a little into 'let's focus our research on this one thing' but nothing feels really important to any of these characters, so there's very little emotional investment. I know Atelier games tend to be light on epic fantasy stories but this feels thin even by series standards. But I knew what I was getting into when I picked it up and it's delivered basically exactly what I predicted so no problem there.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Getsuya posted:

E&T still going strong. I really enjoyed rushing to the big boss at the beginning of year 2 since the fight was pretty tough at that point. I'm sure if I had leveled more and crafted more new stuff from the chapter it would have been a touch easier. I really don't like the medicine girl. I don't know if it's her design or her voice or what but I find her annoying and am going to interact with her as little as possible.

...I was going to ask if you meant Escha and Logy but the fact that I can't tell based on the context of your post probably isn't a good sign for the defense I was about to make

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
poo poo you're right, for some reason my brain was splitting it into Escha & Tology.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

in japanese it is a clever pun cause it's escha to logy and eschatology is the study of the apocalypse

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Yeah in my last few posts about it I kept calling it Eschatology but then I felt like people would start thinking I was running the joke into the ground so I switched to E&L only my brain was still thinking of it as EschaTology so it became E&T. That's my story.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

This is such a disingenuous post I wasn't even going to respond to it but almost all of the Atelier relationships people here hype up only exist outside of the games in headcannon shipping which is outside of my sphere of interest, gay or straight. I cannot imagine giving a poo poo which dateable female in Persona3/4/5 is canon.
headcanon shipping like the time two girls exchanged rings and the trophy for it was entitled 'friendship to love'

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Alright then so I'll start by saying that I don't even remember the medicine girl so you can have that one. A lot of other characters also have weak backstories, which I'm sort of okay with because I don't really like hearing about lore and I'm much more interested in spending time with characters in the current time of the game, which I think E/L does a better job of. You get a good sense of who Marion is just from the context of the game, without needing her life story. The only character who really gets a lot of time invested in their backstory is Logy, and this is at the tail end of the game. You're right about a lack of deeper motivation, but I think sometimes that's how things work in real life. A story about a girl who wants to be an alchemist but isn't totally sure how to do it so just does her best day-to-day without something bigger going on behind the scenes is actually a pretty down-to-earth way to approach storytelling. Granted, the game eventually will throw you a bone in the "uh oh we have to have a real JRPG ending so uhhhhh here's a final boss!" but I'm willing to forgive that since it's sort of an issue all the Atelier games have.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Alright then so I'll start by saying that I don't even remember the medicine girl so you can have that one.

yeah but I don't want her that's the point

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

this is why Ayesha remains the best Atelier of all

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Colonel posted:

I didn't mean to offend, nor to imply that the people who do care about video game relationships are doing something wrong. It's just that I personally generally can't be assed to care about who's dating whom in the video games I play, and I'm perfectly fine with that. I liked the fact that Strange Journey didn't shoehorn a romance for the MC into the game, and I wish more games (or any media in general) had the guts to forego the "mandatory romantic subplot" and/or make it completely optional.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I wish more games had romance subplots tbh, I like making the cute people kiss

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

this is why Ayesha remains the best Atelier of all
Totori has a pretty solid motivation too.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I'm looking over a character list of E&L and I saw a picture of Threia and I said "woah did they add Logy's mom in as a DLC character?" No, she was a party member in the actual video game. So that's two characters I've entirely forgotten about. I only played it in 2015, this wasn't that long ago, how do I not remember more about this game?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

i'm sorry for being pretty pissed off with reading you say that people are obsessed with yuri in a thread frequented by lesbians and getting further frustrated by you acting dismissively lovely in a way that can be applied to a pretty decent chunk of gay media, and that that's apparently disingenuous of me

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

mandatory lesbian posted:

I found out about the gimmick in Fire Emblem: Awakening and immediately went online to find out mechanically how it worked so I could optimize. Never even thought for a minute about who would date who.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm looking over a character list of E&L and I saw a picture of Threia and I said "woah did they add Logy's mom in as a DLC character?" No, she was a party member in the actual video game. So that's two characters I've entirely forgotten about. I only played it in 2015, this wasn't that long ago, how do I not remember more about this game?

Threia is the earring archeologist woman and that's all I remember. The only characters that matter are the protagonists and Linca

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

devs should probably just pick some characters to hook up, or maybe even *GASP* have them in stable committed relationships from the very beginning

imho the dating-sim approach is a major obstacle to good romance writing

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Threia is the earring archeologist woman and that's all I remember. The only characters that matter are the protagonists and Linca

And the girl with the junk shop. Her vignettes are pretty funny if you can get over how (intentionally?) annoying her voice is.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I found out about the gimmick in Fire Emblem: Awakening and immediately went online to find out mechanically how it worked so I could optimize. Never even thought for a minute about who would date who.

Haha yeah, imagine caring about fictional characters. Like, they're not even real, man!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

And wilbell

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Really Pants posted:

devs should probably just pick some characters to hook up, or maybe even *GASP* have them in stable committed relationships from the very beginning

I think the dating sim approach can work but the main character needs to actually be interesting and likable and have actual dynamics with the romance options.

And I think the 'you pick a route halfway through the game and the game's plot shifts noticeably to match the route you picked' approach works a lot better than romance as just a ten-point sidebar to the main plot with romance almost never impacting the actual story. The latter approach just leads to 'well im dating you, bye forever,' while the former approach allows you to build a story around the romance option and how they interact with the lead.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Really Pants posted:

That would work well for my second hope, which is more games with adults protagonists who act like adults

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The only characters that matter are the protagonists and Linca

Correct. One of the sort of? unfortunate downsides to games with two alchemist protagonists is that it becomes very very difficult to not use both of them in your party and that only leaves room for one person.

I read Theria's wikia article then skimmed down to her skills and that solved the puzzle of why I dont remember using her in combat at all

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Ultimately E&L has a strong core cast and weak ancillary cast. Best gameplay of the Dusk trilogy by a huge margin though

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

chumbler posted:

Haha yeah, imagine caring about fictional characters. Like, they're not even real, man!

They're all just 1's and 0's why are you getting so mad?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

RareAcumen posted:

They're all just 1's and 0's why are you getting so mad?

Reality is all just electrons and protons, so why bother getting worked up over anything? Makes you think.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Ultimately E&L has a strong core cast and weak ancillary cast. Best gameplay of the Dusk trilogy by a huge margin though

:hai:

I love Ayesha for its strong cast of party members, I love E&L for the gameplay, and I love Shallie for letting me have Ayesha, Keithgriff, Wilbell, Solle, Escha, and Logy all in the same party.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I feel like the fact that I had to go back eight years to the release of a DS game to find the most recent plot-focused game I could remember that didn't include a romance for the main character somewhat justifies my point. I mean, I guess most puzzle games don't have romances? Don't quote me on that, though. And I suppose Kirby's never had a canon romance...

I'm fine with optional romances, though. In Persona and Bioware games, I never date anyone.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

thread favorite Tales of Berseria has no romance in it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Most Atelier didn't actually have romance (or relatively little) it just has fans shipping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

I feel like the fact that I had to go back eight years to the release of a DS game to find the most recent plot-focused game I could remember that didn't include a romance for the main character somewhat justifies my point. I mean, I guess most puzzle games don't have romances? Don't quote me on that, though. And I suppose Kirby's never had a canon romance...

I'm fine with optional romances, though. In Persona and Bioware games, I never date anyone.

With all the sincerity I can muster from an internet post, I will not be happy with romance subplots until lash/Sonja from advance wars is canon