Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Does anybody know what colloidal silver is, anyway?

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
The thing that turns you blue if you drink it

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
And snake oil salesmen claim it cures everything under the sun:

It's not safe or effective at all, and they haven't been allowed to out-and-out say colloidal silver cures anything since 1999, but that doesn't stop them from selling the stuff.

"Alternative medicine" is BWM and BWL.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Very glad I hit last read post rather then last page for this thread

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
collidal silver is literally silver particles suspended in a liquid.

https://nccih.nih.gov/health/colloidalsilver

it hasn't been proven to have any positive health effects. i remember seeing ads for the stuff in the super old right wing/conspiracy/gun magazines my dad had like 30 years ago, including like, electrolysis rigs that you could buy to make your own.

it's like electroplating, but in reverse, you just run a current through the metal into the water, and then drink it i guess?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Thanatosian posted:

How the gently caress are they spending $400-$500 a month on utilities, and another $300-$400 a month on loving gasoline?

That's, like, a loving car payment in just gas.

I don't understand how you get ripped off giving somebody money to buy Xmas gifts. I guarantee he was supposed to make money on the back end, and it had nothing to do with helping anyone.

Or hoping for another kind of backend

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Hoodwinker posted:

Looks nervously at EAT FASTER

Honestly half of this thread is getting the 'tine.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Silver does have actual, real antimicrobial properties.

It just doesn't work if it's suspended in a liquid and you drink it.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

totalnewbie posted:

Silver does have actual, real antimicrobial properties.

It just doesn't work if it's suspended in a liquid and you drink it.

i imagine it's similar to the antimicrobial properties that copper pipes have

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Of all things the "100's of others" gets me the most.

How many one hundreds of others?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Interesting. In completely unrelated news, my father in law is no longer drinking regular water but super duper Kangen water, which is like regular water but without the acid(?) but you also set your wallet on fire while drinking it. It can also be used to put out wallet fires, probably better than that dumb lame regular water.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

KingSlime posted:

Do your clothes disintegrate after a year or something? As someone who was once 25, I can see that demographic going long stretches without buying new threads, especially if you're already making good money and don't give a poo poo about impressing people

If you're making that kind of money, there's a chance that you work in a setting where people (men) actually don't wear dress shirts more than a few times. I think its something about the collars not being the same even if you're only doing dry cleaning?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

25 year old making six figures in Boston is just as likely to be working in tech or a startup where no one gives a poo poo about your clothes - or deliberately dressing down is a thing.

That particular guy is a tutor, so I doubt he's churning through dress shirts either.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

If you're making that kind of money, there's a chance that you work in a setting where people (men) actually don't wear dress shirts more than a few times. I think its something about the collars not being the same even if you're only doing dry cleaning?

$100,000 a year is not "toss your thrice worn shirts in the trash" territory, lol.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

If the collars aren't the same you are buying super lovely quality shirts, don't know how to use collar stays, or your dry cleaner sucks.

In TYOOL 2018 quality made to measure shirts that both actually fit properly and last a long time are relatively inexpensive for someone who needs that type of attire.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Motronic posted:

If the collars aren't the same you are buying super lovely quality shirts, don't know how to use collar stays, or your dry cleaner sucks.

In TYOOL 2018 quality made to measure shirts that both actually fit properly and last a long time are relatively inexpensive for someone who needs that type of attire.
I can’t believe that some of the decently well dressed people I work with don’t wear stays... It’s like $6 for a box of 6 pairs of different sizes of stainless stays on Amazon. (Or it was a few years back - sub-$10 today I assume.)

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
My drycleaner always provided plastic stays for free when I still worked in an environment that called for them. Although for everyday wear I grew to like oxford shirts anyway.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

SiGmA_X posted:

I can’t believe that some of the decently well dressed people I work with don’t wear stays... It’s like $6 for a box of 6 pairs of different sizes of stainless stays on Amazon. (Or it was a few years back - sub-$10 today I assume.)

How about $12 for 40 stainless steel ones in 4 sizes: https://www.amazon.com/40-Metal-Collar-Stays-Box/dp/B00A7L8ZKE

I know I'm probably getting old when I think "who the gently caress wears dress shirts and doesn't know about collar stays?"

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Motronic posted:

I dunno man, this is just what people tell me. I dont do that myself.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Ixian posted:

I know I'm probably getting old when I think "who the gently caress wears dress shirts and doesn't know about collar stays?"

I've actually had to explain what they were to several past girlfriends since they're almost entirely a men's shirt thing. Even some lovely dry cleaners gently caress up and don't remove them, leaving weird marks that can be seen on the outside of the collar.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ixian posted:

How about $12 for 40 stainless steel ones in 4 sizes: https://www.amazon.com/40-Metal-Collar-Stays-Box/dp/B00A7L8ZKE

I'm not sure I've ever bought a collar stay.........

But I guess that's a thing. I have a mound of plastic ones that came with shirts and/or from drycleaners and I can't see a reasonable way I could ever run out. I guess I could just start losing a lot of them.

plester1 posted:

Even some lovely dry cleaners gently caress up and don't remove them, leaving weird marks that can be seen on the outside of the collar.

This is how you know you need to change drycleaners. That's inexcusable. It's basic poo poo.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
i always just threw those away i thought they were just there to make the shirt look nice in the package/on the shelf.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Motronic posted:

I'm not sure I've ever bought a collar stay.........

But I guess that's a thing. I have a mound of plastic ones that came with shirts and/or from drycleaners and I can't see a reasonable way I could ever run out. I guess I could just start losing a lot of them.

As long as you know what they are for and use them. The stainless ones are just nicer and being slightly heavier do a better job, but nothing wrong with the ones that come with the shirts. Speaking of which:

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

i always just threw those away i thought they were just there to make the shirt look nice in the package/on the shelf.

Don't do this. It's BWS and BWM both.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

therobit posted:

My drycleaner always provided plastic stays for free when I still worked in an environment that called for them. Although for everyday wear I grew to like oxford shirts anyway.

Metal ones are game changing.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

H110Hawk posted:

Metal ones are game changing.
Yep.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

All my stays were free. I really use them and look better than everyone at work.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Yeah but you need a really inert metal like gold or platinum that won't oxidize and harm the fabric on your collar

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Would those metal collar stays be strong enough to block 80kg of steel, dropped from about 8 feet in the air?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Do you prefer to rent the property that you live on or do you prefer to own the property that you live on? Why or why not? (self.personalfinance)

submitted 5 minutes ago by JanePoe87

quote:

Friends have told me that there are advantages to renting over owning. I cannot think of any advantages to renting over owning a piece of property other than the fact that it is easier to more out of an area and that you are not responsible for maintenance costs

Congratulations.....you figured out two out of three.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ohhhhh...another fresh one.

Gave my father a large sum of money that I now believe I'll never get back. Where should I put my remaining savings? (self.personalfinance)

submitted 18 minutes ago by ThiccNhatHanh

quote:

tl;dr I live in the USA. I need to move my money out of my joint Chase account (with my dad) ASAP and am looking for the right solution.

I'm in my mid-20s and had about $85k saved up as of last week (aside from 401k contributions and whatnot). Then my dad called, sobbing, to say he needed $40k immediately but couldn't tell me why. On top of this, he pleaded for me not to tell my mom that this had happened. Due to her history of severe heart health issues, I agreed not to say a word, and I transferred the money immediately.

I'll get to the bottom of the family side of this eventually but I'm not really counting on seeing that money ever again. It's a huge blow to have half of my life's savings wiped out in 5 minutes. I have been freaking out nonstop since it happened; I almost vomited when I had to write out my rent check later that day. I'm now at about $45k; I know a lot of people have it worse so I'm trying to keep perspective but this has substantially upended a lot of plans that I had worked hard for.

Almost all of my money was in a joint Chase Bank account, set up by my dad when I was in high school. I'm looking to move my remaining savings elsewhere so he wouldn't have full visibility. What checking/savings institutions would you all recommend? The parameters: I'm fine doing most of my banking online, my only use for a checkbook is monthly rent, and I use an ATM once a month at most. I live frugally and take home about $4k per month after taxes/rent. Schwab looks promising (ATM rebates and relatively high interest) but I don't want to manage the brokerage account I'd have to open to get in on their checkings/savings. And how do people feel about small online banks like Ally?

And for the poster who can't seem to find these without a link......copy the title of the post and past it into teh googles. If you have a 'puter made in the last few years you can just put it up in that "eral bar" and everything will work out.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
It's a thread rule from the OP to link content you are c/p from Reddit, so probs don't self own yourself into a probation by getting snarky about it

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Yeah it's just basic posting etiquette to take the extra 20 seconds to write out [url][/url] and paste some stuff in there.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The rule is in place because the big offender would change all the details, lol.

Not that it matters since it's all anonymous stories anyway

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The rule is in place because the big offender would change all the details, lol.

Not that it matters since it's all anonymous stories anyway
I like reading the reddit comments where all the reddit posters call the OP an idiot though.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Motronic posted:

Gave my father a large sum of money that I now believe I'll never get back. Where should I put my remaining savings? (self.personalfinance)

And for the poster who can't seem to find these without a link......copy the title of the post and past it into teh googles. If you have a 'puter made in the last few years you can just put it up in that "eral bar" and everything will work out.

Can't you just do it for mobile readers instead of being a jerk?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Would those metal collar stays be strong enough to block 80kg of steel, dropped from about 8 feet in the air?

Nah, but I'm sure we could cultivate a fashion for gorgets...

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Motronic posted:

Reddit wasn't on the first page of Google results when I searched for this title... Posting links seems more user friendly.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Motronic posted:

Lol at "'puter", like what the gently caress were you shooting for there motronic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
More like moronic

And I really want to know if the OP ever says what stupid stuff the father spent the money on, but googling the title turned up nothing :(