Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Ariong posted:

What was prpject eevee?

A campaign to merch Eevee as the new mascot, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ariong posted:

What was prpject eevee?

Hyping up Eevee as a secondary mascot with giant ugly Eevee costumes in the same vein as the unsightly Pikachu one

Let's Go promotion, basically

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ariong posted:

What was prpject eevee?

It was a one-year promotional twitter account (probably inteded to passively promote Pokemon Let's Go Eevee) that hosted art and comics of various Eeveelutions, as well as short videos of someone in a giant Eevee costume going on field trips to various Japanese businesses, such as a tofu factory, a milk-cartoning plant, Banpresto, Nintendo, etc, and visitng children at different schools and hosted public events. It created many photos of ancient Japanese businessmen rubbing their faces on the Eevee costume's fluff

and the video of them visiting this one house where the kid was terrified at the giant eevee and started crying

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 21, 2018

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I’m still not sure why they decided to make a Pokémon whose entire gimmick is evolution a mascot in its first stage like Pikachu.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Well unlike Pikachu they're actually trying to include the evolutions also

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

The White Dragon posted:

Well unlike Pikachu they're actually trying to include the evolutions also

They have been pushing Alolan Raichu pretty hard, but only after two decades of trying to pretend the original version doesn’t exist.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Raichu will always be my favorite Pokémon, but Alolan Raichu being Psychic/Electric is just too cool. I used to love that Psychic/Electric deck from the first set of the card game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In case anyone hasn't discovered this yet the Gen 1 protagonists can all be fought during Let's Go's postgame:

Blue: Takes over as leader of the Viridian City gym after you beat the Elite 4 for the first time.
Green: After catching Mewtwo go back into the Cerulean Cave and you'll find her where he originally was, beating her gets you Mewtwo's Mega Stones.
Red: Outside the Pokemon League after you defeat any 6 Master Trainers.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Larryb posted:

Green: After catching Mewtwo go back into the Cerulean Cave and you'll find her where he originally was, beating her gets you Mewtwo's Mega Stones.

This could have been a playground rumour in 1999.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This is really nice. The songs lead well into each other, the outfits are nice, and it's just pleasant to listen to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG-L2wFrmm8

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Licarn posted:

Yeah, but this one's actually true. Don't know off the top of my head if Blue or Red give you anything for beating them though.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

How the gently caress are you supposed to get a decent catch combo going (read: 5-6+ on anything worth comboing for xp like Cerulean Cave monsters) when the game insists on popping Pokemon right under your feet whether you're standing still or wandering around?

Is there some kind of mechanic I'm missing? I've cleared the elite 4 and I'm working on maxing out a team for the master trainers but the game can go gently caress itself if I have to do it 1-2k xp at a time.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Run away

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Entering an encountet and fleeing doesnt break a catch combo. So if something you're not comboing bumps into you, just dont catch it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

History Comes Inside! posted:

How the gently caress are you supposed to get a decent catch combo going (read: 5-6+ on anything worth comboing for xp like Cerulean Cave monsters) when the game insists on popping Pokemon right under your feet whether you're standing still or wandering around?

Is there some kind of mechanic I'm missing? I've cleared the elite 4 and I'm working on maxing out a team for the master trainers but the game can go gently caress itself if I have to do it 1-2k xp at a time.

You don't lose a catch combo if you run from battles. You lose a catch combo if: you catch something else, you exit the game, or if the Pokemon runs away. In fact it's good to run into Pokemon you're not trying to go after while you're looking for a certain kind so that they despawn and the one you're looking for has a new chance to respawn.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Well gently caress. It's me, I'm the rear end in a top hat

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Licarn posted:

In fireree you can get a rare candy I think from the famous truck, not sure if that carried over to let's go. I love it

There's also a rumor that deoxys is somewhat based on missingno, because of its extreme stat distribution

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

mandatory lesbian posted:

In fireree you can get a rare candy I think from the famous truck, not sure if that carried over to let's go. I love it

There's also a rumor that deoxys is somewhat based on missingno, because of its extreme stat distribution

In FireRed/LeafGreen, you can get a Lava Cookie south of the truck

In Let's Go, it's been replaced by a Revive you can get once a day

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Anyone wanna do some trading now? I need all the Eevee exclusives and can offer all the Pikachu ones.

I also want to do Haunter, Kadabra, and Graveler. I’d want the Kadabra back. I have a Scyther to offer for a Pinsir - we can swap those back or not, if you want.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Heads up, in 2019 there will be a long term berry giveaway:
https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/get-rare-berries/
Get yourself a shiny new one of these:
Custap Berry
Enigma Berry
Jaboca Berry
Micle Berry
Rowap Berry

Edit: also, shout out to my awesome wife Mrs. Doctor. We don't have a Switch and had idly talked about getting one for LGP/LGE but decided against it. Suddenly several wrapped presents of particular geometry showed up under our tree. She wants me to keep passing on my love of Pokemon to my kids, and got us the whole Switch setup to do it.
She's one hell of a keeper. :glomp:

N+1 Doctor is getting Ultra Moon from me. I opened the package up just so I could punch in the gift codes for Shiny Poipole which was about to expire, and Zeraora. She's gonna have a merry little Christmas for sure.

N+1.1th Doctor will probably get whatever the current game is when she can read.

Nth Doctor fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 23, 2018

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Is there any way to influence what nature a Pokemon will have in Ultra Sun? I've spent several hours already looking for a Grimer and a Magnemite with good abilities and -speed/-attack natures. (And it occurs to me that it's kinda silly to be doing this before I even beat the game, but OCD is gonna OCD.)

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Phenotype posted:

Is there any way to influence what nature a Pokemon will have in Ultra Sun? I've spent several hours already looking for a Grimer and a Magnemite with good abilities and -speed/-attack natures. (And it occurs to me that it's kinda silly to be doing this before I even beat the game, but OCD is gonna OCD.)

Get an Abra with the nature you want and the Synchronize ability, and put it at the front of your party.

Is anyone doing a Wonder Trade giveaway for Christmas this year?
I just finished growing a crop of Starf and Lansat berries to be held by my freshly bred army of 5IV Delibirds who have all come down with a bad case of Pokerus.

thekodfish
Oct 31, 2010
Yam Slacker
I've got a pair of Zekrom/Reshiram codes as a Christmas present for the thread:

A8699CC-U5E3XKRE

A869AE-Z6H8MZPJT

Replace the dashes with a J.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I don't suppose I could ask someone to please throw a Bronzor or Bronzong up on the GTS for me? There are a couple up there that aren't asking for a legendary in return but I only have stuff from the first couple islands in Ultra Sun. Trade me for a Grimer or something?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Phenotype posted:

I don't suppose I could ask someone to please throw a Bronzor or Bronzong up on the GTS for me? There are a couple up there that aren't asking for a legendary in return but I only have stuff from the first couple islands in Ultra Sun. Trade me for a Grimer or something?

I don't have my 3ds with me right now, but have you tried putting a grimer up for a bronzor? Offering a reasonable trade in GTS is the way to go, in general.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Well, I just put a Grimer up for a Bronzor. I also went and leveled up and evolved the Hoothoot I had so I could trade it for a Chansey so I could trade the Chansey for a Bronzor, but the trade was already gone by the time I got the Chansey. :(

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 26, 2018

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Phenotype posted:

Well, I just put a Grimer up for a Bronzor. I also went and leveled up and evolved the Hoothoot I had so I could trade it for a Chansey so I could trade the Chansey for a Bronzor, but the trade was already gone by the time I got the Chansey. :(

I gotcha. It's got it's hidden ability though, you'll have to breed if you want a different ability. (or at the very least I gave someone a Bronzor for a Grimer)

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

That was my Grimer! Thanks a lot, man! Merry Christmas!

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Phenotype posted:

That was my Grimer! Thanks a lot, man! Merry Christmas!

No problem, have a Merry Christmas! I'm going to go start this copy of Let's Go! Eevee I just opened :)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Finished my Let's Go Pokédex apart from the evolved Meltan, still counts though as far as the game is concerned!

It's exactly 20 years to the day since I got the US import of Pokemon blue from a super cool relative for Christmas (we always visited on Boxing Day) and now I've basically played it all over again.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I picked up Ultra Sun and Let's Go Eevee, and after playing LGE for some time and getting used to its quality of life features I'm actually finding it kinda hard to get into "real" Pokemon games again. I think I'm just completely sick of random encounters at this point so the wild Pokemon appearing on the overworld map in Let's Go is just fantastic, and being able to access the Pokemon box at all times is the best thing to happen to this series in years. That's the kind of streamlining I can get behind. I'm not necessarily a big fan of the Pokemon Go style catching, but frankly I start to miss it whenever some trash pokemon decides to spam Sand Attack or something.

I also appreciate how Let's Go doesn't waste your time hand-holding you through a bunch of story and tutorial bullshit and just lets you get on with it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If they replaced the main series' encounter and capture system with LG's and kept everything else the same I wouldn't be mad about it.

I don't know how I feel about the box being available all the time because changing your team around between elite 4/other gauntlet fights feels way too easy but that's something they could just work around anyway with a story macguffin like "oh you can't use the magic box inside this particular building because it's a special building"

It'd be more interesting if the elite 4 were buffed every go around up to the max level, but at the same time it'd also be more interesting if the master trainers didn't use basically ridiculous OP hacked Pokemon.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
do we know what monpoke is yet

I don't know how I feel about the box being available all the time because changing your team around between elite 4/other gauntlet fights feels way too easy but that's something they could just work around anyway with a story macguffin like "oh you can't use the magic box inside this particular building because it's a special building"

they can just make you check it at the door of any gyms/League sanctioned buildings

e: that way they can give the dork who's always waiting for you with tips an in-universe reason to be there

indigi fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 26, 2018

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

monpoke

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
monpoké®

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ekopnom

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

If they replaced the main series' encounter and capture system with LG's and kept everything else the same I wouldn't be mad about it.

It'd be more interesting if the elite 4 were buffed every go around up to the max level, but at the same time it'd also be more interesting if the master trainers didn't use basically ridiculous OP hacked Pokemon.

I really hate the EXP system in LG. Having everything gain all EXP means pokemon can't catch up unless you rotate your whole team out with every new catch and horribly overlevels anything you keep in your party.

Also catching hundreds of pokemon just to throw them in an industrial sized blender or send to the professor feels like a really bad step back overall. I just want to catch the dudes I want to use, not 600 pidgeys to level up.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

You gotta catch them all. I do think the forced expshare is a bit much, though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Last Pokemon game I genuinely paid much time to was probably Fire Red when it was new. Thought I'd see if I like the game or not any more with one of the Let's Go titles on Switch

Is Psychic still complete horseshit in these games? That's the only specific mechanical thing I really remember

I didn't really look at Pokemon Go for more than a couple minutes, so I don't remember its capture mechanics. I did see the OP calling those out though; are they an improvement on the "get HP low, throw ball, pray to varying strengths of Dread Arengee" at least?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ciaphas posted:

Last Pokemon game I genuinely paid much time to was probably Fire Red when it was new. Thought I'd see if I like the game or not any more with one of the Let's Go titles on Switch

Is Psychic still complete horseshit in these games? That's the only specific mechanical thing I really remember

I didn't really look at Pokemon Go for more than a couple minutes, so I don't remember its capture mechanics. I did see the OP calling those out though; are they an improvement on the "get HP low, throw ball, pray to varying strengths of Dread Arengee" at least?

Psychic hasn't even been good for almost twenty years at this point.