Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

poisonpill posted:

Lots of games that were fun when they came out are worse in retrospect or if you play them now. Bioshock, old RPGs, PS2 platformers, anything with crafting. The gems are things like Doom or Mario and other games that just hit every note perfectly while also innovating. The original Diablo demo was basically perfect too

E: shut up about how much a PC costs. Playing video games with your free time in whatever form puts you in the top 0.001% of humanity in terms of wealth and ease

Ah yes, video games, the untold luxury found only in the palatial mansions of the most exclusive gated communities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

bioshock 1 loving sucked the year it came out and if it weren't for some moderately interesting set dressing and the fact that other games that year were somehow worse nobody would remember it at all, let alone let it become a franchise

like, loving hell, sony's gobsmackingly awful Smash Bros wannabe game with PS3 characters had the Big Daddy as a character even though bioshock 1 was a loving pc/360 exclusive for over a year, everyone has decided that bioshock's story was innovative and cool and not something done better by several games beforehand without the world's worst FPS stapled on

Shibawanko posted:

Fast travel should just be for the populated areas of the world like in Morrowind. Some areas should feel remote and getting there should take time. Procedural generation of geometry defeats the point of an open world though.

i 100% genuinely believe this, but with the caveat that every game should also have the equivalent of Mark/Recall spells that cost minimal resources if you invest in learning about them

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah Bioshock had exactly one good thing about it and that was the undersea city idea

The rest was never good

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Soma was a much more interesting under the sea game.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

what happened around 2007-9 that made games so loving dire, this is a sincere question

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

veni veni veni posted:

Soma was a much more interesting under the sea game.

Soma was a great mindfuck of a game.

Unpopular opinion: Vampyr was a really great game that largely was overlooked because it's not very polished. The level of research and detail into things like Romanian immigration to the UK and the social discord associated with it post WWI and how racial fears contributed to death and quarantining during the 1918 Spanish Flu outbreak was really neat, the "choice" mechanics in the game actually mattered not just to plot but in how you play the game (the difficulty setting adjusts internally by how much you are killing people but in an inverse pattern, i.e. the worse of a person you are, the easier the game is - beating it without murder is extremely difficult - and there is no way to override this other than selecting "story mode" in the beginning instead or giving in to your hunger and killing innocents), the crafting mechanic is simple to understand and execute and adds to the story of the game in a meaningful way but is also completely optional, etc. There's so much to enjoy about it but the graphics are kind of lovely and the loading screens/freezing are not great but those issues are definitely worth looking past.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

killer7 is possibly my favorite video game of all time and my unpopular opinion is that the pc port is cool and good, and probably should have been in the steam winter sale so i could justify buying it for people

the art style holds up on new displays really well and i don't give half a poo poo that it is emulating gamecube memory cards in the background

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

food court bailiff posted:

what happened around 2007-9 that made games so loving dire, this is a sincere question

The rise in popularity of online mutiplayer components of FPS and 3PS games. CoD3, CoD Modern Warfare, Halo 3, and Gears of War were all released in less than a year's time and basically printed money for their publishers not just on the base game but also DLC map packs.

This was around the time campaign DLC became a thing too. I remember there being actual outcry when Gears 2 announced launch day DLC but now that's totally expected and buying the "season pass" as part of a game purchase is standard.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

2006 Horse Armor DLC was released for Elder scrolls Oblivian

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Lol people have been mad about horse armor dlc for more than a decade now

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

poisonpill posted:

The horse armor DLC was the "fake skinner episode" of video games. It was the beginning of the end

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

i would like to say 'even back then nobody was really mad so much as confused as to why they thought anyone would buy horse armor' but on the other hand i am very familiar with.....gamers

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Well yeah actually you guys are right. The horse armor thing was BS. Buuuuut I suppose my unpopular opinion is that $60 is actually a little low for a AAA game and DLC and special editions are designed to trick people into paying the full cost of a game. Like, adjusted for inflation, a Nintendo game from 1985 cost like $80 today and couldn’t have possibly cost MORE to make.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

the horse armor joke has completely transformed because it started out as "why the gently caress would anyone pay real money for that?" into "It seems so quaint compared to today's money wringing schemes"

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Pay five bucks to get a digital loot crate that has a five percent chance to have horse armor in it.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Unpopular opinion: giving a dick about dlc in either direction is embarrassing

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

ChazTurbo posted:

A decent 5-600 dollar PC will more than suffice unless you gotta max out everything forever. I'm not saying PC in infallible or anything but this mentality that you need to spend the big bucks to have an enjoyable experience is alien to me. "oh man. I had to turn down shadows from ultra to high. What a travesty."

good job not reading the post you quoted

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

poisonpill posted:

And look at where we are now. They were completely justified

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

poisonpill posted:

Well yeah actually you guys are right. The horse armor thing was BS. Buuuuut I suppose my unpopular opinion is that $60 is actually a little low for a AAA game and DLC and special editions are designed to trick people into paying the full cost of a game. Like, adjusted for inflation, a Nintendo game from 1985 cost like $80 today and couldn’t have possibly cost MORE to make.

lol it's worse than that dude like loving turok 64 cost something like $90 in motherfucking 1990's money

there's a reason that 'b-games' don't seem to exist anymore, and that reason is 'the whole industry is kind of untenable right now'

e: i just looked it up, it was $80 USD in '97 which comes out to about $126 today. for TUROK 64.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 22, 2018

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Dropping a Benjamin on Turok lol

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

lol it's worse than that dude like loving turok 64 cost something like $90 in motherfucking 1990's money

there's a reason that 'b-games' don't seem to exist anymore, and that reason is 'the whole industry is kind of untenable right now'

e: i just looked it up, it was $80 USD in '97 which comes out to about $126 today. for TUROK 64.

Yeah but back then you had to do some work to put out a game. Now a days every game uses an off the shelf engine like unreal or unity. making something that's "Turok 64 tier" is possible with one guy, Unity, and some off the shelf assets in a few months.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rutibex posted:

Yeah but back then you had to do some work to put out a game. Now a days every game uses an off the shelf engine like unreal or unity. making something that's "Turok 64 tier" is possible with one guy, Unity, and some off the shelf assets in a few months.

I feel like this is unfair to the engines, they can just as easily be used as a force of good. Just because some kids use it as Advanced RPG Maker, or Crazy Ivan in eastern Europe is using it to gum up digital storefronts with lovely asset flips, or Twitterman makes two or three dozen cool-looking mockups that never actually existed as a game mechanically, or some gracelessly-balding hipster buys a lighting plugin and puts more work into vlogging about how hard his life as a Real Game Developer is than he ever will into actually making a game, doesn't mean that other people aren't using it to make fun, interesting, legit things.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The worst case of DLC is when it's on the disc already and you have to pay extra to unlock that content.

Are expansion packs the prototype of DLC?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Star Man posted:

The worst case of DLC is when it's on the disc already and you have to pay extra to unlock that content.

Are expansion packs the prototype of DLC?

i mean it's obviously kind of a "yes and no" thing, like people thought expansion packs were totally fine for decades before HorseArmorGate or whatever, it just suddenly became a thing to pay $5 for some lovely cosmetic thing instead of $20-40 for what in a lot of cases was essentially a micro-sequel

e: and honestly you can tell that that was a good model because AAA games still do it to this day and just call it DLC instead of an expac :shrug:

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Expansions back in the day had to go through the same procedure of disc stamping, packaging and shipping as a main title so usually that meant they had to have enough material to justify the cost/effort.

Not that it meant there weren't a lot of terrible expansions put it,, but usually it meant a little more thought was put into thing. Usually.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The White Dragon posted:

I feel like this is unfair to the engines, they can just as easily be used as a force of good. Just because some kids use it as Advanced RPG Maker, or Crazy Ivan in eastern Europe is using it to gum up digital storefronts with lovely asset flips, or Twitterman makes two or three dozen cool-looking mockups that never actually existed as a game mechanically, or some gracelessly-balding hipster buys a lighting plugin and puts more work into vlogging about how hard his life as a Real Game Developer is than he ever will into actually making a game, doesn't mean that other people aren't using it to make fun, interesting, legit things.

oh i dont disagree. I love all the off the shelf engines available, it makes game development much more accessable.

my point was, its easy as gently caress to make games now. there is no justifiable reason for them to be getting more expensive. people say "games still cost $60 but adjusted for inflation dlc gold edition bullshit is justified to pay for large development costs!" I say bull, something like an EA sports game is 90% recycled assets and code, same as "Military Shooter 14". games should cost less now not more, the tools are better than ever.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I just played Zelda 1 for the first time thanks to the Nintendo Switch online service. Its an interesting reminder what games were like in the 80s but it's hideously difficult and needlessly grindy. Its crazy that people can beat it in under an hour because if i played it as a kid id have been lost for weeks. Still a better game than breath of the wild though

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

basic hitler posted:

A stable frame rate @ 1080p is insanely affordable.

Affordability of gaming pcs spike when new console hardware comes out. 90% of pc games basically never require more than what a ps4 game might or FUTURE CONSOLE HERE

If you want 4k resolutions or more you will suffer/bleed for it. Or at least your wallet Will. I haven't seen a single game so drastically improved by 4k that i thought the price jump and increase in necessary computing power was worth it though.

1440p60 is still pretty cheap and is a nice improvement over 1080. It doesn't get really expensive till 4k

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

CrRoMa posted:

I just played Zelda 1 for the first time thanks to the Nintendo Switch online service. Its an interesting reminder what games were like in the 80s but it's hideously difficult and needlessly grindy. Its crazy that people can beat it in under an hour because if i played it as a kid id have been lost for weeks. Still a better game than breath of the wild though

i agree with your thesis but disagree emphatically with your final point

however i gotta say the SP version on the switch service owns because it skips the worst part of the game, e.g. burning every single goddamn loving tree on every screen to find the secret you need

unpopular opinion: all of the 2d zeldas are various shades of good except maybe Spirit Tracks, and all of the 3d zeldas are various shades of bad except BotW and Majora's Mask (which is still nowhere near as good as '64 fanboys seem to think)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

unpopular opinion: all of the 2d zeldas are various shades of good except maybe Spirit Tracks, and all of the 3d zeldas are various shades of bad except BotW and Majora's Mask (which is still nowhere near as good as '64 fanboys seem to think)

i really liked the ones made by Capcom for the gameboy color. we are lucky to have gameboy to carry on the 2d Zeldas.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Zzulu posted:

Yeah Bioshock had exactly one good thing about it and that was the undersea city idea

The rest was never good

The same can be said of Bioshock infinite pretty much as well. It has some of the best world building and art design of all time, but it's a mediocre game

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Where does A Link Between Worlds fall on this

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I think I love the overall idea of zelda games more than I've ever loved the execution, I don't want to poo poo on them and say they are anything less than great because they are, and its admirable that they have tried different things with Zelda 2 and the CDI games but I've never really fallen for a zelda game in the way that many fans have. I enjoyed Links Awakening more than any other and bounced off link to the past, ocarina and botw at various stages

Portable zeldas are generally the best zeldas for me, especially holds true if you consider breath of the wild to be a wii u game

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Rutibex posted:

i really liked the ones made by Capcom for the gameboy color. we are lucky to have gameboy to carry on the 2d Zeldas.

hell yeah, the Oracle games own. you know what else owns? i can like, load up my old Oracle of Seasons cartridge on my retron, beat it, and use the endgame transfer function to Ages on my 3ds because it uses a password system instead of some ridiculous IR-link bullshit

signalnoise posted:

Where does A Link Between Worlds fall on this

2d and therefore good, obviously

i should actually beat that one, i was enjoying it quite a bit

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rutibex posted:

oh i dont disagree. I love all the off the shelf engines available, it makes game development much more accessable.

I will say one negative of game development becoming more accessible is that rebinding keys isn't actually native to any of these engines. It's hard to implement even with prefabs or other tools because their solutions are just as ghetto as a fix you would design yourself, and lots of devs seem to be too lazy to figure it out. So we get many games where the only keyboard layout is the default one, maybe with an alternate if they chose to hard-code it.

2d and therefore good, obviously

i should actually beat that one, i was enjoying it quite a bit

My quintessential LBW memory is, I knew there would be some kind of cool treasure in the Kakariko well, but I wasn't willing to wait until I got the Giant's Gloves to pick up the rocks to access it legit, so I just grabbed a chicken and flew in because gently caress your sequence

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 22, 2018

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

I will say one negative of game development becoming more accessible is that rebinding keys isn't actually native to any of these engines. It's hard to implement even with prefabs or other tools because their solutions are just as ghetto as a fix you would design yourself, and lots of devs seem to be too lazy to figure it out. So we get many games where the only keyboard layout is the default one, maybe with an alternate if they chose to hard-code it.

i am finally trying to drag myself through learning unity, this cannot possibly be true, please tell me this isn't true, how could that even be a difficult thing to implement at the engine level

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

i am finally trying to drag myself through learning unity, this cannot possibly be true, please tell me this isn't true, how could that even be a difficult thing to implement at the engine level

I bought InControl so I could natively support xbox/dualshock pads and their solution is :psyboom:, like it's not super difficult but you still have to do a fair amount of work, and the devs are cagey about the specifics re: how it works and how it persists so it's kind of a black box. I hate those, because there's no way to know what they were thinking when they wrote it.

Fortunately I had my own code I could recycle/refine and just feed its inputs through that, but yeah, my rebinding code is :psyduck: as hell too.

That game you like, the one by the AAA studio, that lets you rebind keys? Also ghetto af. I guarantee it.

v really? i always got the impression most people thought it was stupid and lazy

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 22, 2018

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Here's an unpopular opinion: Bioshock Infinite's ending was dogshit and people who had their minds blown by it are idiots

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

That game you like, the one by the AAA studio, that lets you rebind keys? Also ghetto af. I guarantee it.

most giant software is, these days. it's just really disheartening to hear that something so fuckin' basic is apparently something you need to jury-rig so hard

QuarkJets posted:

Here's an unpopular opinion: Bioshock Infinite's ending was dogshit and people who had their minds blown by it are idiots

this, while true, also needs the qualifier that the original bioshock's ending is also goddamn terrible (and in that case also married to the worst gameplay section since For Pete's Sake in Earthworm Jim)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

is it an unpopular opinion that i loved how easy it was to prioritize speech in new vegas and talk your way out of almost any fight? it seems like a way better option than having a super-easy cinematic/casual setting. having a plausible in-universe way to experience the world and story without comitting to being a mass murderer was neat