Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

havelock posted:

C# is verbose, but you get useful info from it (along with the garbage)
code:
public async Task<int> GetInt() { await Task.Delay(500); throw new InvalidOperationException("oops"); return 5; }
public async Task<int> GetInt2() { var result = await GetInt(); return result; }
public async Task<int> GetInt3() { var result = await GetInt2(); return result; }
try { var x = await GetInt3(); } catch(Exception ex) { Console.WriteLine(ex.StackTrace); }
in the REPL gives you

pre:
at Submission#0.<GetInt>d__1.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter`1.GetResult()
   at Submission#1.<GetInt2>d__1.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Submission#2.<GetInt3>d__1.MoveNext()
   at Submission#4.<<Initialize>>d__0.MoveNext()
It looks like the auto-generated state machine stuff at least uses the real method name in its name so you can see what has happened.

Check this out:
https://github.com/benaadams/Ben.Demystifier

example:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
part of using django to do what im doing is diving into the command prompt on this mac but tell me is the built in terminal a piece of poo poo and do most people use a new one or wat

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

echinopsis posted:

part of using django to do what im doing is diving into the command prompt on this mac but tell me is the built in terminal a piece of poo poo and do most people use a new one or wat

most people use iterm2 but it's had some security issues in the past. i've heard the default terminal is fine but i've never tried to get it setup. i don't think it's terrible but i'm not really a stickler. (also ask this in the terrible programmer thread not in this one).

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

echinopsis posted:

Could be worse, early OS X defaulted to tcsh.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

echinopsis posted:

alacritty for 24bit color support but if you don’t need that terminal is great

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
terminal.app suits my needs

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

most people use iterm2 but it's had some security issues in the past. i've heard the default terminal is fine but i've never tried to get it setup. i don't think it's terrible but i'm not really a stickler. (also ask this in the terrible programmer thread not in this one).

lmao “most people” absolutely do not

animist
Aug 28, 2018
I use terminal.app plus fish because I like not being able to paste things I copied from stackoverflow without syntax errors

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I use iterm2 but I’m not sure why I bother because the default terminal was fine too. I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Terminal.app is fine, especially if you set a couple preferences (option as meta mainly)

if you really want to use an alternative terminal use Cathode.app and make it all cool and retro

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

oh yeah lol I thought about which thread to ask in and decided on the other one.. which is why I clearly posted in this one

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Soricidus posted:

I use iterm2 but I’m not sure why I bother because the default terminal was fine too. I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

iirc initially terminal.app was pretty poo poo but then a few .x version ago apple did their homework about it

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Soricidus posted:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Terminal.app didn't used to support 256 colors like 9 years ago which is why iTerm became popular

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

echinopsis posted:

terminal.app is just fine. the default shell, otoh, is some horrifically ancient bash.homebrew ships a replacement ofc

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
whats wrong with iterm2?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

terminal.app is actually p good. alacritty is great for things like piping 10k kafka messages to jq and not seeing any slow down

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

uncurable mlady posted:

whats wrong with iterm2?

nothing, but when the built-in thing suits your needs then why bother

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

pokeyman posted:

nothing, but when the built-in thing suits your needs then why bother

idk, i started using it years and years ago and never really thought to check terminal.app back out. maybe i will

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

iterm won't let me set terminal colors from the touch bar like terminal.app and it's such a niche-rear end problem but it makes me prefer terminal.app

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

uncurable mlady posted:

idk, i started using it years and years ago and never really thought to check terminal.app back out. maybe i will

yep that’s fine too, use what works for you! but if someone is "just diving in" then terminal.app is where to start

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its not like cmd.com then?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
It was only ever half as bad as the windows console. You could at least resize it to full screen.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

echinopsis posted:

its not like cmd.com then?

exactly right. macos gives you working tools out of the box. (as a former windows user, this took me some time to adjust)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
terminals aren't necessary for modern computing and especially not for development.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shaggar posted:

terminals aren't necessary for modern computing
Don't you need to use a terminal for a lot of windows server stuff now?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Shaggar posted:

terminals aren't necessary for modern computing and especially not for development.

neither are shaggars but here we are

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

nuclear

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

mystes posted:

Don't you need to use a terminal for a lot of windows server stuff now?

you can’t install Exchange without it, iirc

you can’t install Exchange period because it requires a version of Windows that doesn’t exist yet

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
iterm has great tmux integration

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
For Windows I use cmder/conemu. It supports shortcuts to show/hide the console in a quake-style drop-down. Also chocolatey is a decent package manager.

Rhusitaurion
Sep 16, 2003

One never knows, do one?

Malcolm XML posted:

iterm has great tmux integration

It supports the OSC-52 clipboard escape sequences, which is nice when you have multiple tmux panes. I tried to submit a patch to PuTTY to do the same once I had to switch to a Windows desktop at work, but they didn't accept it due to security concerns, and now I have to maintain my own fork to get basic stuff like that.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Helicity posted:

terminal.app is actually p good. alacritty is great for things like piping 10k kafka messages to jq and not seeing any slow down

didn't it turn out that alacritty wasn't actually any faster than the default terminal

also if you're piping doesn't terminal speed not matter at all

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Shaggar posted:

windows server doesn’t even have an optional gui any more

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Soricidus posted:

windows server doesn’t even have an optional gui any more

wait what

now what will happen to my previous place of employment?

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

wait what

now what will happen to my previous place of employment?

they're going to continue using an outdated version, clearly

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

animist posted:

didn't it turn out that alacritty wasn't actually any faster than the default terminal

bad input latency iirc

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

animist posted:

if its an optical illusion its a good one thats convinced several of us in the office. piping to jq just ends up going to stdout by default so its a question of "how fast can i render this large amount of syntax highlighted json messages". for any useful work youll probably be doing a jq select or a grep and limiting output anyways, but whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Helicity posted:

if its an optical illusion its a good one thats convinced several of us in the office. piping to jq just ends up going to stdout by default so its a question of "how fast can i render this large amount of syntax highlighted json messages". for any useful work youll probably be doing a jq select or a grep and limiting output anyways, but whatever

you’re talking about stdout then. the pipe thing is a red herring

still don’t really see how making GBS threads out text fast is a selling point in a terminal emulator when the slowest ones are still far far far faster than could possibly be comprehended