Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Would I be better off starting a new character instead of trying to get back into my 45 Bard or am I underestimating how long it takes to catch up from level 1? I feel like I will have no idea what the gently caress Im doing after over 3 years of not playing. :(

e: Still 70 minutes left of patching. Its going to take over 2 hours to patch the game up to date from whatever the base is Steam has. :stonk:
Its not the leveling up that gets you, its the millions of ARR story quests.

If you don't feel like restarting from scratch, I'd check out Palace of the Dead (quest starts in Gridania I think), its a roguelike dungeon where you start at level 1 each time and has a separate leveling system that gets you very quickly up to 60. Not a good way to actually learn how to play, but its nice place to gently caress around and figure out what your buttons do again. I forget what its called but there's also a dude that will send you to a tutorial area in each of the city's inns (and if you finish all the tutorials for a role you get a pretty good +exp accessory so its worth doing anyway)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Furnaceface posted:

Would I be better off starting a new character instead of trying to get back into my 45 Bard or am I underestimating how long it takes to catch up from level 1? I feel like I will have no idea what the gently caress Im doing after over 3 years of not playing. :(

e: Still 70 minutes left of patching. Its going to take over 2 hours to patch the game up to date from whatever the base is Steam has. :stonk:

Just go shoot at a training dummy for a bit and then hit up an inn and watch some old cutscenes to remember what was going on.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So I tried to dance in Suzaku today. It's stupid and I'm not ever trying it again.

In better news, I changed my hair. It was terrifying, but I think it turned out ok.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

SonicRulez posted:

So I tried to dance in Suzaku today. It's stupid and I'm not ever trying it again.

In better news, I changed my hair. It was terrifying, but I think it turned out ok.

What's your ping? Mine's 85ms and though there's latency, it's not usually quite that extreme for me.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Violently Car posted:

What's your ping? Mine's 85ms and though there's latency, it's not usually quite that extreme for me.

I don't actually know, because I play on PS4 and it's usually not a problem.

But what do you think of the hair. That's the important thing here.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
you can use your computer to ping to the datacenter...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

SonicRulez posted:

I sure love how getting hit once during DDR means that you immediately eat poo poo and die.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Thundarr posted:

It took going through six(!) people in our last dps slot this tier, but we finally beat O12S. Now to just... do it another seven times.

I would kill to be only at 6

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Violently Car posted:

It's not always about the ping, because I play at 250ms and I can do the dance. I think the timing just looks a bit off. That and you might need to move in even further just in case.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I started playing THM/BLM just for the hell of it. I wish there was a dungeon around level 10 or so, since hunting logs alone aren't enough to get you to 16.

It's convenient being able to easily make myself a bunch of HQ gear with crafting. I figure I can use this same low level magic gear to level CNJ/WHM which I'm also kind of interested in trying.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I wonder if anyone has ever said "You don't pay my sub" unironically.

dang dude join a free company or linkshell or something so you can find a different direction to vent in

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Furnaceface posted:

Yessssss thats the website I was looking for thank you! Holy poo poo they could not make this process any less user friendly if they tried.

Also good to know I have time to gently caress around and get caught up. Id like to finish my adventures with Yda and Papalymo.

I demand you post your story takes once you hit heavensward and onwards. :allears:

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Ibblebibble posted:

It's not always about the ping, because I play at 250ms and I can do the dance. I think the timing just looks a bit off. That and you might need to move in even further just in case.

It's more about how consistent your latency is. I get >200ms ping too, but it's consistent enough that I'm just learning different timings from someone with 20ms ping for anything I can see coming ( although the timing's going to be less intuitive a lot of the time). Getting frequent lag spikes pretty much forces you to play safe, though.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

It's a lot easier to do the Suzaku dance if you stand at the 2/3 boundary rather than the 1/2 boundary because it gives you a better sense of the timing. I can't do a 1/2 dance but 2/3 is easy peasy

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Suzaku EX is a very fun fight once you learn it.

That's my opinion on that.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Suzaku is fine. Not one of my favorites, but fine. The opener shenanigans still feels weird. And a "farm" party only managed 1 clear yesterday so. Honestly yesterday was just a weird rear end day. Case in point:

They did the Megaflare emote once they hit critical.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Everyone decent at the game is done with suzaku until they up the drop rate for the mount or you can just overpower it at the end of the expansion. Finding more people like you is gonna be rough, maybe see if goons want to do it for fun? Suzaku is one of my favorite primals, if I was on excal I’d help out, and I’m probably not the only goon like that.

And the timing on your dance was off, as soon as you see the animation for the explosion start you want to run into the explosion. You’re not timing for the animations, you’re timing for when the server locks in damage, which happens before the animation goes off. You just use the animation of the first one to time it.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Thyrork posted:

I demand you post your story takes once you hit heavensward and onwards. :allears:

Now you have me worried. :ohdear:

e: I let it patch last night so I just logged in and immediately freaked out. Turns out if you stop playing for 3 years there are a lot of pop ups to try and guide you to where you were/should be and whats changed, so once I cleared those away there was much less to freak out over.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 22, 2018

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

SonicRulez posted:

Suzaku is fine. Not one of my favorites, but fine. The opener shenanigans still feels weird. And a "farm" party only managed 1 clear yesterday so. Honestly yesterday was just a weird rear end day. Case in point:

They did the Megaflare emote once they hit critical.

I ran into that person in Eureka and zantetsuken'd them and they emoted being surprised at this new kind of headpat and wrote about in their diary. People in this game are a trip. They came and rez'd me out in the middle of nowhere once though so they're alright in my book.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
It's not quite a crazy Scholar calling his faerie "sweetie" all the time, but I did get this in Castrum Abania today...

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Thats terrifying.

Im dying all the time trying to complete quests my level. I dont know how to remedy this. :smith:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Thats terrifying.

Im dying all the time trying to complete quests my level. I dont know how to remedy this. :smith:

Is your gear up to date?

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

Furnaceface posted:

Thats terrifying.

Update your gear to be near/on-level first of all. Second, I really would reccommend summoning your chocobo companion (if it's unlocked, you can buy gyshal greens in Central Shroud at Bentbranch to summon him) as a back-up healer.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Azubah posted:

Is your gear up to date?

Rastan Beeza posted:

Update your gear to be near/on-level first of all. Second, I really would reccommend summoning your chocobo companion (if it's unlocked, you can buy gyshal greens in Central Shroud at Bentbranch to summon him) as a back-up healer.

My armor is only 2 levels below my actual level. All the other slots are level 19-29, so maybe thats part of it.

Also how do I summon the chocobo again?

e: What do quests with the plus sign mean?

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 22, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

My armor is only 2 levels below my actual level. All the other slots are level 19-29, so maybe thats part of it.

Quests with a plus sign will unlock something new, unlike quests without one which are usually just EXP/plot. You should do every quest with a + sign you can.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Furnaceface posted:

You need to Use the Ghysthal Greens item (right click ---> use from your inventory on it). Each one gives you 30 minutes of chocobo action.

As for the +, it means it's a quest that unlocks something (be it a dungeon, a trial, or whatever) and that you should Probably Do It.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Pre-50 rules of thumb on what jobs should equip what gear (50+ the game prevents you from pitfalls), skipping the explanation:

Tanks: PLD DRK WAR gear, or PLD DRK WAR DRG gear if defense and magic defense are equal.
Dragoons: PLD DRK WAR DRG or Disciple of War gear.
Other physical DPS: Disciple of War gear.
Healers and caster DPS: All Classes gear with Int and Mnd on it.

For anyone, keep your weapon updated every 10 levels at most, or every 5 levels if you can swing it. For tanks, do the same for left-side armor, non-tanks don't need to worry as much about armor though. Right-side accessories are lowest priority.

Two other things:

1. Make sure you keep your gear repaired. Busted gear will do nothing for you.
2. If it's a quest that involves using some item on an enemy to weaken it, remember to actually do that. Quest enemies like that tend to be very tanky, damaging, or both, if you haven't used the item you were supposed to.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
If you are leveling on Excal, ask someone in the goon fcs / discord if they can buy you some vendor gear at your level if you are significantly behind.

Your GC does sell good leveling equipment as well, you can be using GC seals on those. Weapon is always going to be your biggest impact for an upgrade piece, so I'd try seeing if you're able to get an upgrade out of the GC first. Weapon damage is extremely powerful and should be as up to your level as possible.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
Seconding that you should use some grand company seals to get their weapons. They're going to be quite a bit better than the ones you get from vendors or whatever, and the weapon is by far the most important gear slot in this game. The weapon damage stat kind of sounds like it only affects your autoattacks or maybe weaponskills, but it affects almost everything you do, including stuff like magic spell damage and even healing potency.

Also, I remembered that I still have to level MIN, so I brought it up to 50 last night in an outfit that's totally practical for smashing rocks.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Vil posted:

2. If it's a quest that involves using some item on an enemy to weaken it, remember to actually do that. Quest enemies like that tend to be very tanky, damaging, or both, if you haven't used the item you were supposed to.

It was this for both quests and now I feel like an idiot. :(

How do I earn company seals? I have like 3k somehow but I doubt thats enough to buy something.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Furnaceface posted:

How do I earn company seals? I have like 3k somehow but I doubt thats enough to buy something.

I did the exact same thing several times. Those kind of quests come up so infrequently that I keep forgetting and every time I'm standing there going :wtc: until I read the quest text again

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

All kinds of poo poo give them to you, roulettes, fates, turning junk in to your GC's provision officer

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I don't remember how much GC weapons are but 3k isn't chump change at your level, I'd go check to see what you can afford.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Monathin posted:

I don't remember how much GC weapons are but 3k isn't chump change at your level, I'd go check to see what you can afford.

Apparently you need to rank up to get stuff your level, which I never did so thats why I had so many.

Its fine I got a bow from Cid from a quest, plus 4 pieces of blue armor, so things are a bit less hectic now. :toot:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

If you're in a goon FC and are leveling, you can ask if someone can make you a weapon upgrade. It's trivial for anyone with a max level crafter to make a HQ weapon for low levels.

RedRaven
Sep 11, 2001

He's going to SHOCK the world!

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

If you're in a goon FC and are leveling, you can ask if someone can make you a weapon upgrade. It's trivial for anyone with a max level crafter to make a HQ weapon for low levels.

And by “low levels” you mean 1-69 for trivial crafting.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

RedRaven posted:

And by “low levels” you mean 1-69 for trivial crafting.

Eh a 70 weapon is still relatively easy for anyone up to date. Every time someone blows through this thread saying they'd make a full 380 suit for someone I am usually taken aback, that poo poo is like 4-8 hours all told of crafting and gathering to get all the mats, or a pile of money.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
BLM question: I've got a guy claiming its a dps gain on BLM to transpose for 1 mp tick after firestarter procs and using the proc to drop back into Astral, gets you 2 extra F4's. Seems like unless you can time the tick just right its a waste but what do yall think?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Now I'm no theorycrafter but it seems to me that waiting for the MP tick is going to result in a DPS loss no matter how low your ping is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Failboattootoot posted:

Eh a 70 weapon is still relatively easy for anyone up to date. Every time someone blows through this thread saying they'd make a full 380 suit for someone I am usually taken aback, that poo poo is like 4-8 hours all told of crafting and gathering to get all the mats, or a pile of money.

Gathering mats is for idiots. Buying all the mats and making the 380 materials (chigusa ingots and the like) and reisuis yourself makes the whole process take maybe an hour or so and costs maybe a third of how much a finished set would cost. Crafting is stupid little effort for a stupid lot of money once you have your gear all set up.