Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Phy posted:

From Spider-Verse 1 #2, the Anarchist Spider-Man is using a van packed tight with the most powerful speakers they can cram into it to fight the Venom-enhanced forces of tyranny and oppression.

Look at the sound effects. Look at what he's playing.

There was an image of a Russian translation of that panel floating around where some dude translated the sound effects.

Edit: https://twitter.com/jedmackay/status/872754462347100161?s=19

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Mulva posted:

"They are like vampires, but they eat spider people and jump dimensions" was the stupidest loving idea anyone ever had except for the idea to keep coming back to that well.

The weird thing is that isn't how Morlun was when he first showed up. He ate any animal totem types, in his very first appearance he eats an eagle-themed German hero. He should be just as happy to eat the Rhino, Vulture, or Doc Ock as he is Spider-Man. Or black Panther, Falcon, or Wolverine for that matter. Indeed, since Morlun's vulnerable to radiation and by amping the radiation in his blood is how Spidey beats him the first time, the fact that so many Spider-folk are also radioactive should put them off Morlun's menu. How many times do you go back to a restaurant where you got food poisoning, eh?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I dunno, my local McDonald's gets a lot of repeat customers.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Lurdiak posted:

Except the actual event, which sucked.

Ok but

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Yeah but it gets wrecked on like the very next page

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm not giving Dan Slott any points for something that's cool only out of context.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

jng2058 posted:

The weird thing is that isn't how Morlun was when he first showed up. He ate any animal totem types, in his very first appearance he eats an eagle-themed German hero. He should be just as happy to eat the Rhino, Vulture, or Doc Ock as he is Spider-Man. Or black Panther, Falcon, or Wolverine for that matter. Indeed, since Morlun's vulnerable to radiation and by amping the radiation in his blood is how Spidey beats him the first time, the fact that so many Spider-folk are also radioactive should put them off Morlun's menu. How many times do you go back to a restaurant where you got food poisoning, eh?

That actually makes more sense, he’s just cosmic Ahab.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Don’t read Spiderverse or Spidergeddon, but read those tie ins. Vulpes gets MVP for both events with Spider Punk and Japanese Spider-Man.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Retro Futurist posted:

That actually makes more sense, he’s just cosmic Ahab.

"All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the Spider Man is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough. He tasks me; he heaps me; I see in him outrageous strength, with an inscrutable malice sinewing it. That inscrutable thing is chiefly what I hate; and be the Spider Man agent, or be the Spider Man principal, I will wreak that hate upon him."

It's like if Grant Morrison read more books.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not giving Dan Slott any points for something that's cool only out of context.

Three of my favorite Spider-panels are from Dan Slott issues, though the two badass ones don't owe very much to him

(FOR THE FATE OF ALL SPIDERS, *tight zoom* It's you, and my perennial favorite, Otto Flippa, The Incan God of Ties)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

jng2058 posted:

The only time Morlun showed up outside the Spider-man books was when he went after Black Panther in his title.

It was when Reginald Hudlin was writing the book. It was not....good.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Open Marriage Night posted:

Don’t read Spiderverse or Spidergeddon, but read those tie ins. Vulpes gets MVP for both events with Spider Punk and Japanese Spider-Man.

If it's Talk About Awesome Vulpes Stuff time, I submit Daughters of the Dragon #1:

The whole issue is amazing and I'm wondering if I should have posted the bit where a drugged-and-hallucinating Colleen Wing is rescued by Misty Knight, World's Biggest Badass, instead but seriously just get the drat thing yourselves you're missing out

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
「Death Before Dishonor」 vs. 「Ogre Battle」

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Yeah but it gets wrecked on like the very next page

On the other hand:

Thanks for the nice words about my books guys. I haven't been posting much about them for fear of sounding like a broken record (though apparently I jump in on threads to post Sheldon's art like some kind of lovely Beetlejuice).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I only got that Daughters book because of Vulpes^2 and it was totally worth it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

I only got that Daughters book because of Vulpes^2 and it was totally worth it.

Same. 2nd issue was fun as hell too.

Your books are seriously my jam Vulpes Vulpes, you do good work. Having Travel Foreman on art doesn't hurt, gotta say.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Vulpes Vulpes you can brag about your stuff all you want, talk about the creative process or dumb anecdotes or easter eggs, we don't mind. That kinda stuff makes the forum more interesting. Plus, y'know, they're really good, so it's not like you're talking about some awful webcomic no one cares about.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Same. 2nd issue was fun as hell too.

Your books are seriously my jam Vulpes Vulpes, you do good work. Having Travel Foreman on art doesn't hurt, gotta say.

Ok I just have to say this: every time I see Travel Foreman's name I briefly think of the horrible clone Saga Spider-man villain, Judas Traveler, for a second before my brain catches up. This is a serious medical condition and it means I can never be friends with the man.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

People need to stop wasting Foreman on normal books and let him go nuts like with Animal Man again

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Retro Futurist posted:

People need to stop wasting Foreman on normal books and let him go nuts like with Animal Man again

As much as I liked Daughters of the Dragon, I also agree with this.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Retro Futurist posted:

"wasting" is not the word I'd use

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Did someone dose my coffee?
They're good panels, but drat :lsd:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

If it's Talk About Awesome Vulpes Stuff time, I submit Daughters of the Dragon #1:

The whole issue is amazing and I'm wondering if I should have posted the bit where a drugged-and-hallucinating Colleen Wing is rescued by Misty Knight, World's Biggest Badass, instead but seriously just get the drat thing yourselves you're missing out

This is extremely rad, and very much my poo poo.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Phy posted:

*tight zoom* It's you
I don't know about the other two but this one is still not a Dan Slott issue, it's Christos Gage

Threep fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Dec 22, 2018

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
those trippy panels are amazing...also you guys are somehow making me hate spiderman less...I've hated him my whole life from sharing a first name to him being like a total pushover despite being loving spiderman when he isnt in the suit...but the loving multiversal spiderman stuff is really doin it for me and i dont know why

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Yeah I don't want to sound like I'm just buttering him up out of Goon Solidarity, but Vulpes' comics feel like first encountering Matt Fraction in the mid-aughts and just being shocked and delighted at the new kind of energy they brought-- like the first arc of Casanova or something. Or like-- when Al Ewing burst into Marvel seemingly out of nowhere. They all rule and for sure being paired up with such great artists doesn't hurt.

AkumaHokoru posted:

those trippy panels are amazing...also you guys are somehow making me hate spiderman less...I've hated him my whole life from sharing a first name to him being like a total pushover despite being loving spiderman when he isnt in the suit...but the loving multiversal spiderman stuff is really doin it for me and i dont know why

Spider is a great first name.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Archyduchess posted:

Spider is a great first name.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Thanks everyone, I'm glad people are reading them. I generally approach each Marvel job assuming it's my last, so I try to do something a little different (with varying degrees of success).

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

"wasting" is not the word I'd use

See now that's what I mean, unleash him!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Open Marriage Night posted:

Don’t read Spiderverse or Spidergeddon, but read those tie ins.

Same could be said for Venomverse. The main series isn't the worst thing, but nothing in it is "Stokoe drawing Venompool fighting body horror monsters" level.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

jng2058 posted:

Morlun says in that same arc he could feed off of those guys but they were just pretenders and weren’t as pure and filling as Pete

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Most totemic heroes and villains don't actually get their powers from their chosen animal like Spider-Man did.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tbh i thought that the art for dotd was kinda trashy up until the drug sequence, and then i was like whoa :catdrugs: this is awesome

I dunno maybe travel was saving his effort for that part or something

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lobok posted:

Most totemic heroes and villains don't actually get their powers from their chosen animal like Spider-Man did.

Yeah, the closest I can think of is Black Panther and White Tiger getting there's from a Panther and Tiger god, and I think that's a retcon in Black Panther's case.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, the closest I can think of is Black Panther and White Tiger getting there's from a Panther and Tiger god, and I think that's a retcon in Black Panther's case.

Didn't Morlun go after T'Challa in the Hudlin run?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

Didn't Morlun go after T'Challa in the Hudlin run?

The Question IRL posted:

The only time Morlun showed up outside the Spider-man books was when he went after Black Panther in his title.

It was when Reginald Hudlin was writing the book. It was not....good.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

On the other hand:

Thanks for the nice words about my books guys. I haven't been posting much about them for fear of sounding like a broken record (though apparently I jump in on threads to post Sheldon's art like some kind of lovely Beetlejuice).

Why am I just learning about this now. I gotta go and get this from my comic shop right the gently caress now

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
e: talking about the wrong book lol

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Thanks everyone, I'm glad people are reading them. I generally approach each Marvel job assuming it's my last, so I try to do something a little different (with varying degrees of success).

You’re putting out some great books on the periphery. I’ll be interested to see what ongoing they eventually offer you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Let's get holly jolly on Christmas Eve. Klaus #2: Some mystery man broke into town and is giving children presents! *gasp* But the evil baron in charge doesn't like it.