Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Phlegmish posted:

So...is it normal that shop keepers will constantly declare your sold items theirs even when that's not actually the case? I guess it's because the item I'm trying to sell is tagged as stolen, and I stole the same type of item from them at one point. It's really stupid and makes it a drag to trade with the Balmora merchants.

They know you stole that item from them at some point, so now every time they see you with one, they shout "THIEF!", whether it's the exact stolen item or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vavrek posted:

They know you stole that item from them at some point, so now every time they see you with one, they shout "THIEF!", whether it's the exact stolen item or not.

Honestly, this does not seem like a bug to me even if it is admitted and explained as one.

If you were to steal something from me, and I somehow realized that you'd stolen that kind of thing from me - let's say it's a diamond for argument - then you better believe every time I saw you with one I'd call you a thief. Yeah, I know the diamond you stole was only 2 carats and that thing you're waving around is the size of a bowling ball and could not possibly be the one you stole from me. So what? gently caress you, diamond thief. gently caress your diamond-thieving rear end, coming around here and waving a diamond in my face after you stole diamonds from me. Mother fucker I will polymorph you into a rat then pay some schmuck from the fighter's guild to come deal with a rat infestation.

The apparently intended outcome that the merchant simply goes about their business so long as you do not try to sell them their specific diamond back to them seems to me way less realistic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Addamere posted:

Honestly, this does not seem like a bug to me even if it is admitted and explained as one.

If you were to steal something from me, and I somehow realized that you'd stolen that kind of thing from me - let's say it's a diamond for argument - then you better believe every time I saw you with one I'd call you a thief. Yeah, I know the diamond you stole was only 2 carats and that thing you're waving around is the size of a bowling ball and could not possibly be the one you stole from me. So what? gently caress you, diamond thief. gently caress your diamond-thieving rear end, coming around here and waving a diamond in my face after you stole diamonds from me. Mother fucker I will polymorph you into a rat then pay some schmuck from the fighter's guild to come deal with a rat infestation.

The apparently intended outcome that the merchant simply goes about their business so long as you do not try to sell them their specific diamond back to them seems to me way less realistic.

That analogy doesn't really work because the person you stole the diamond from is more than happy to buy and sell any other precious gems you want in Morrowind. If you knew I stole a diamond from you, I'm guessing you wouldn't buy an emerald from me either. Also, they don't know you stole the diamond until you try and sell one to them, any one.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 23, 2018

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It’s more like, I had a diamond go missing, and you walk in trying to sell me a diamond (keeping in mind that all Morrowind diamonds look and weigh the same), then yeah I’m allowed to call shenanigans

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Addamere posted:

If you were to steal something from me, and I somehow realized that you'd stolen that kind of thing from me - let's say it's a diamond for argument - then you better believe every time I saw you with one I'd call you a thief.

In that scenario wouldn't you always say that, even if I didn't have the diamond on me? And it begs the question of you even knowing anyone stole the item, much less that it wad me. Did you see me take it?! I didn't think so. Officer, this is slander, and I would like to file a complaint about my treatment today.

I don't know what system would be more fun, but it'd be slightly more realistic to me to have merchants not want to sell you anything after they've seen you commit a crime, and to have a chance to recognize their own items sold back to them, scaling with item value and uniqueness.

But at that point you should probably start with making evading/experiencing arrest more fun somehow.

E: beaten like a s'wit who refused to surrender

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The main problem is that people do like their diamonds to stack, thank you very much. At which point you're rather boned trying to figure out which diamond is the one you stole from, say, a certain altmer in Balmora.

This is also really annoying in mods that include meat spoiling, since if you add a script to it suddenly all your rat flesh (and whatnot else) takes up two dozen inventory spaces.

e: grammar

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 23, 2018

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skwirl posted:

That analogy doesn't really work because the person you stole the diamond from is more than happy to buy and sell any other precious gems you want in Morrowind.

Exactly. Every time you came around her shop, Nalcarya should be shanking you. Or calling the guard in the same room to shank you.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Private Speech posted:

The main problem is that people do like their diamonds to stack, thank you very much. At which point you're rather boned trying to figure out which diamond is the one you stole from, say, a certain altmer in Balmora.

Yeah, though this is why cool thieves either fence their goods immediately, or install them permanently on private display in their mansion.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Addamere posted:

Exactly. Every time you came around her shop, Nalcarya should be shanking you. Or calling the guard in the same room to shank you.

Incidentally, this being the example was sort of baffling to me the first time I had this quirk of Morrowind's rules explained. I spend so little time in Balmora that I never knew her name, and so rarely sell the kind of thing I might steal that I'd never really run into the problem. (For instance, diamonds are alchemy reagents: why would you sell those when you could just eat them straight-up?)

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Let's Reinstall Morrowind: Why would you sell diamonds when you could just eat them

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Poniard posted:

Let's Reinstall Morrowind: Why would you sell diamonds when you could just eat them

straight-up.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Raw glass is even more delicious

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Poniard posted:

Nalcarya stares in horror as the Nerevarine shoves handful after handful of gemstones into their mouth and chews them like ice.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I made a small addon a while ago to Basic Primary Needs for Oblivion to make it work with Morrobilivion, and one of the things I did was make it lethal to eat some ingredients.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/44932

Please, ive already solved this issue :smuggo:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

There is always a mod.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Its being worked on today actually

Is this mod available yet? I like to sell stuff in Balmora because it's convenient, but because it's Tutorial City I also robbed most of the stores there when I was first trying to make money.

e: those shop keepers should be thanking me, if anything. Bro I heard you mysteriously ran out of diamonds a while back, but I got you, I'm here with the resupply

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 23, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
My favorite Morrowind merchant bug is how restocking items have negative quantities. If the merchant has, for example, -1 ash yam, then they always have one ash yam in stock, you buy it and come back and the ash yam's back there. If it's in their personal inventory, rather than in a chest they own, then you can sell them more, and it'll result in a larger negative number. Sell them two ash yams, and they'll now have -3 ash yams, instead of -1 for restocking and 2 non-restocking.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cat Mattress posted:

My favorite Morrowind merchant bug is how restocking items have negative quantities. If the merchant has, for example, -1 ash yam, then they always have one ash yam in stock, you buy it and come back and the ash yam's back there. If it's in their personal inventory, rather than in a chest they own, then you can sell them more, and it'll result in a larger negative number. Sell them two ash yams, and they'll now have -3 ash yams, instead of -1 for restocking and 2 non-restocking.

It's not technically necessary, but does make it way easier to abuse the poo poo out of potions since it makes it easier to bulk buy ingredients.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ve never taken issue with the thieving mechanics in Morrowind. It might be goofy to have all the same type of item flagged stolen forever from that one merchant, but the game has 100s more merchants in easy reach.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

I would never steal from Nalcarya. Her eternally restock Exclusive Resistance to Magic literally keeps my shoes on my feet

Thx you haughty high elf qtpie

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

It's time for my annual Christmas break reinstall. What mods do I need for QOL?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

frogge posted:

Mgexe
Mcp
Patch for purists
Speed and stamina

End of list

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Is this mod available yet? I like to sell stuff in Balmora because it's convenient, but because it's Tutorial City I also robbed most of the stores there when I was first trying to make money.

e: those shop keepers should be thanking me, if anything. Bro I heard you mysteriously ran out of diamonds a while back, but I got you, I'm here with the resupply

Its in UI Expansion beta available here
https://github.com/NullCascade/morrowind-mods

If you know how mwse mods are packaged it should be relatively straightforward, otherwise download the package and extract the ui expansion icons to icons data files, and the lua files to data files/mwse/mods/Ui expansion

Im phone posting otherwise id just do that for you

Ui expansion mods is a+++++

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

frogge posted:

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

frogge posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/44538

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

frogge posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/11048/

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
"Wow! I finally completed the pilgrimage to the sanctus shrine for the first time ever! Pretty tense & tough at low levels! Interesting caretaker lady. Now for a well earned rest for my wear--"
YOU HAVE BEEN EXPELLED FROM THE TEMPLE
YOUR CRIMES HAVE BEEN REPORTED

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SniperWoreConverse posted:

"Wow! I finally completed the pilgrimage to the sanctus shrine for the first time ever! Pretty tense & tough at low levels! Interesting caretaker lady. Now for a well earned rest for my wear--"
YOU HAVE BEEN EXPELLED FROM THE TEMPLE
YOUR CRIMES HAVE BEEN REPORTED

S'wit

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

lmao nice one outlander now get the gently caress outta here

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Poniard posted:

Node posted:

Raw glass is even more delicious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEQ-aZn-KN0

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm trying to do the Bal Molagmer quests after reaching the highest Thieves' Guild rank, but it turns out he's gone? I guess I'm unable to do that entire questline now, great design

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

I'm trying to do the Bal Molagmer quests after reaching the highest Thieves' Guild rank, but it turns out he's gone? I guess I'm unable to do that entire questline now, great design

Why would it be available

Also i have bad news about the threads of the webspinner if youre doing morag tong

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
You might be able to use the console to bring him back for a bit.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Never mind that, I'll just use the console to mark the current quest as finished and call it a day.

And I was going to do Morag Tong but after reading about Threads of the Webspinner that's a hard pass, too. You know, I think I'm getting burned out.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Phlegmish posted:

Never mind that, I'll just use the console to mark the current quest as finished and call it a day.

And I was going to do Morag Tong but after reading about Threads of the Webspinner that's a hard pass, too. You know, I think I'm getting burned out.

Threads of the Webspinner is completely optional and doesn't effect going through the Morag Tong

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Oh. Well, that changes matters. Now the important question is, will it sit in my quest log forever if I happen to accept it by clicking the wrong dialog option

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
edit: nvm

Entropy238 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 25, 2018

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
The threads of the webspinner quest takes you to some pretty interesting places that you might not have otherwise gone to in a standard playthrough, like the sneaky Daedric ruin behind the ghost fence. I don't know how you're supposed to do it though without the wiki - it was a weird design choice (or an oversight?) to put some of the items on non-hostile NPCs where there's no indication in game that they have them.

Also completing the Morag Tong questline nets you one of the sickest short blades in the game if that's your thing.

You should definitely install Tamriel Rebuilt if you haven't done so already. My playthroughs nowadays rotate between doing quests on Vvardenfell and then exploring all of the different parts of the mainland. There's lots of fun dungeons to explore and the scenery's great if you've got MGE XE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Vegetabill's threads of the webspinner makes them more practically possible to find in-game.

There's also Threads of the Webspinner Completed, which adds a way to turn them into Mephala yourself after you've killed Eno Hlaalu, although you have to have activated the mod before you met him.