Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Star Man posted:

I saw on Netflix that there's a movie called Bitcoin Heist. Do I dare watch it?

The trailer is awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gR9cQLHBSA

but the movie itself routinely rates two and a half stars out of five. It's pretty likely all the good bits are in the trailer.

But you should totally watch it, if only for the scene as to how bitcoin wallets work:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

BREAKING: Central Bank Reports Prove Bitfinex / Tether DO NOT Have Banking in the Bahamas with Deltec

https://blog.zerononcense.com/2018/12/22/breaking-central-bank-reports-prove-bitfinex-tether-do-not-have-banking-in-the-bahamas-with-deltec/

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
See, bitcoin is decentralized!

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Risc1911 posted:

BREAKING: Central Bank Reports Prove Bitfinex / Tether DO NOT Have Banking in the Bahamas with Deltec

https://blog.zerononcense.com/2018/12/22/breaking-central-bank-reports-prove-bitfinex-tether-do-not-have-banking-in-the-bahamas-with-deltec/

FUD ALERT (hosed up, dude.)

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Risc1911 posted:

Well this is surprising indeed.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Risc1911 posted:

Holy poo poo MLR is gonna fuckin die when he reads this

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

orange juche posted:

die of having too much money surely

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

orange juche posted:

lol like I’m gonna believe some trash article from a fudster website

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

orange juche posted:

My understanding is My Linux Rig is diversified into 100% pure BitCoin. Not some tether poo poo. He’s golden.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Who here actually is involved in cryptocurrency anymore? I'm pretty sure everyone here is just gathered around to watch the price crash to zero so we can all have a hearty laugh

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
My father has 30k aud or so in various coins. Hopefully he will cash out soon :(

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

McGiggins posted:

My father has 30k aud or so in various coins. Hopefully he will cash out soon :(

Sorry about dad.

But tell us more, age, does he have 30k to lose, how he thinks it’s good, how he evades scams, etc. it’s fascinating to me as I have a acquaintance that got into it too but he’s younger.

E if you care to share that is.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Burt Sexual posted:

Sorry about dad.

But tell us more, age, does he have 30k to lose, how he thinks it’s good, how he evades scams, etc. it’s fascinating to me as I have a acquaintance that got into it too but he’s younger.

His dad will totally beat the poo poo out of your dad.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

orange juche posted:

Who here actually is involved in cryptocurrency anymore? I'm pretty sure everyone here is just gathered around to watch the price crash to zero so we can all have a hearty laugh
We all have to pay welfare for who knows how many people loaned against their house for 20k per Bitcoin.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Honky Dong Country posted:

His dad will totally beat the poo poo out of your dad.

My dad is like 85 or something. 4 knee replacements, 3 heart attacks, and weighs 300 lbs. I’m taking bets.

The only dude I know irl that is into crypto is
* married, 28?, no kids
* works at a mall kiosk replacing watch batteries
* bought btc for a while, dumped when tether was invented
* sold of eurithim or whatever and made 30k real dollars in 2017
* says he files quarterly taxes
* hates and loves talking to me about the mechanics behind a crypto, he didn’t understand Hashes
* bought a subcompact Japanese car of some variety that he had tricked out with his winnings.
* drinks beer at my local brewery

I haven’t asked about star citizen yet. He’s generally cool, but the crypto bug thing always taints my view of him. We get along fine and watch football etc, it’s just. Weird.

Most smart people don’t talk about being in it I guess, but crypto doesn’t invite a lot of them. Surprised there isn’t more irl stories.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Burt Sexual posted:

My dad is like 85 or something. 4 knee replacements, 3 heart attacks, and weighs 300 lbs. I’m taking bets.

"Sorry, old man, but the smart money's against you. I got a whole MOUNTAIN of buttcoins on this"

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Burt Sexual posted:

Sorry about dad.

He's 50 something? He doesn't need the money perse. He still works for a living, but he's advanced the corporate ladder from a grease monkey job to the point where his youngest recently spent $1600 in fortnite transactions in a single night off of his credit card and he seems to think it's not worth doing anything about. :shrug:

He's not thinking coins are good, I've drilled into him they have no actual value associated to them such as a service, and he should consider them like unsecured stock trading in shell companies that for some reason other people also want to buy.

I'm not sure he evades scams at all so much as he's trying to penny stock it. I think he has a set value to sell by on all his coins whereby they automatically get listed for sale if they reach that price, and he is definitely not the HODL type.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

McGiggins posted:

$1600 in fortnite transactions

Fortnitecoin. Only you can't even find a rube to sell it to, so perhaps even dumber?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
The still-a-true-believer HODLer I crashed with for a while at the start of the year was super into environmental issues. As in, I woke up one morning and he was all "you left a light on in the bathroom". I apologised, and he mentioned it had happened before. Alright, alright, not the end of the world to forget a switch that is outside the actual room. Found that in addition to telling me, he'd written a passive aggressive note about turning off the light and pasted it to the door as well.

This, from a guy gambling his life's savings playing day trader on a magical moonbeam currency that burns enough electricity to power a time-travelling Delorean.

Absolute scenes.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Are you sure he's into environmental issues or is he just worried about his electricity bill from mining butts?

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
a guy who owns bitcoins being into environmental issues is like a kkk member preaching black lives matter.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
He'd also get angry and defensive when we'd ask basic questions about the "never been done before, you just don't understand" social media site he had invested in, called Narrative. A site whose big idea seemed to be "pay bloggers in Bitcoin". I looked into it later, and it had been done before, by a site called Steemit, and it turns out the big idea was actually "pay bloggers in Shitcoin", and that company recently dropped 70% of its staff after the shitcoin's value dropped by 96%.

I thought at the time the real revenue stream was getting horny nerds to dump in $5k each as a founder's package, and $75 a pop to take ownership of "niches" (basically a subreddit). From his evangelising he had to be in for the $5k at the very least.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Jesus Christ you really can sell people anything

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Hong Kong Exchange ‘Hesitant’ to Approve Bitmain IPO, Says Source
“The exchange is very hesitant to actually approve these bitcoin mining companies because the industry is so volatile. There’s a real risk that they could just not exist anymore in a year or two,” said the person, who requested anonymity because the information is private, adding:

“The HKEX doesn’t want to be the first exchange in the world to approve this and have one die on them.”

https://www.coindesk.com/hong-kong-exchange-hesitant-to-approve-bitmain-ipo-says-source?utm_source=social&utm_medium=Hootsuite&utm_campaign=

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I remember going into a wingstop and some fresh-out-of-highschool teens were talking about all their plans with bitcoin and talking as if they’d already made it big. The best part is that they were just sorta forcing finance and investing terminology into their sentences as if to impress anyone (like us) unfortunate enough to be seated next to them.

The only bitcoiner I knew personally was a coworker at my old retail job. I guess he had mined a bunch of coins and then lost the wallet/address/password thing back when they were still worthless so he never bothered to go find it again. From what I remember, he didn’t really express an interest to go whole hog on it.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know about the rest of you, but the way I check Bitcoin's price is to type "bitcoin price" into my search bar every now and then.

One advantage of this is that that Google lists all the latest insane technical analysis under the price.

quote:

This past week, bitcoin price started a solid upward move above the $3,200 resistance against the US Dollar. The BTC/USD pair surged above the $3,580 and $3,780 resistance levels. There was even a close above the $3,780 barrier and the 100 simple moving average (4-hours). An intermediate high was formed near $4,175 and recently the price corrected lower. It broke the $3,900 level, but the $3,780 level acted as a solid support.

The price started a fresh upside and broke the $3,900 resistance. It even broke the 50% Fib retracement level of the recent decline from the $4,175 high to $3,778 low. More importantly, there is a major symmetrical triangle forming with resistance at $4,080 on the 4-hours chart of the BTC/USD pair. The triangle seems to be a bullish continuation pattern towards the $4,175 and $4,300 levels. A successful break above the $4,100 and $4,150 levels is needed for further gains. Once there is a break above $4,175, the price could rally towards $4,500 or $5,000.

It's always like this. Who pays these people?

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Norton the First posted:

I don't know about the rest of you, but the way I check Bitcoin's price is to type "bitcoin price" into my search bar every now and then.

One advantage of this is that that Google lists all the latest insane technical analysis under the price.

It's always like this. Who pays these people?

Im pretty sure those articles are computer generated.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

orange juche posted:

tcc is still buying drugs with bitcoins without a care in the world

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Risc1911 posted:

I'm not seeing discussion of this on Bitcointalk, which is kind of interesting.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
that's because it's FUD. Fake news, Untrue news, Disinformative news

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

if bitcoin is crashing why is it hovering near 4k still

are goons wrong about bitcoin again?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

poverty goat posted:

if bitcoin is crashing why is it hovering near 4k still

are goons wrong about bitcoin again?

Yes, it's going up to 100k in March

Please go all in ASAP

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Do we have an ETA on a certain someone eating a certain body part? Year is getting awfully short!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Warbadger posted:

Do we have an ETA on a certain someone eating a certain body part? Year is getting awfully short!

he bitched out and moved it to 2020.

I think he expected to be dead by now.

https://twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/935900326007328768

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Honestly hard to know if McAfee will be dead by 2020, or if he’ll still be alive long into the next century.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Honestly hard to know if McAfee will be dead by 2020, or if he’ll still be alive long into the next century.

Well he's 73 and already looks like a rotting corpse, so who knows.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

poverty goat posted:

tcc is still buying drugs with bitcoins without a care in the world

proposal: a forum for "responsible drug users" and "harm reduction"

reality: a man falls through the earth and into parisian catacombs. taking a torch from the wall he spies row upon row of skeletons. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling "my nigga have u tried lsd"

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Powershift posted:

I like McAfee's Joseph Joestar profile pic, he must so happy that the anime is doing well

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

overmind2000 posted:

I like McAfee's Joseph Joestar profile pic, he must so happy that the anime is doing well

He's going to be on Adult Swim soon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afZRTZsGZg8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Powershift posted:

"Double or nothing, if Bitcoin does not go to the Moon by 2020, I'll eat my dick twice."

Also, I'm getting in on the ground floor of "Bircoin".