Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Hey y'all why does the doom 3 menu music sound like Laterus is about to start playing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzI7DLR0DPU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tcW-j7KFgY&t=69s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

Plan Z posted:

Reminds me of that phase in the early 2000s after Halo where games were receiving hits to their score by virtue of not having vehicle sections. So as a result, every action game was given awful-to-mediocre vehicle sections.

uh can you think of any examples of this? because i really don't remember this happening.

Ularg posted:

He seemed unhappy that the mirrors edge sequel had multiple female characters in it, for example.

he was unhappy about the original mirror's edge for having a female main character too. i recall this being the review of his where i realized "oh he's one of these guys" because his description of the plot ran "the main character is an asian female, because of course she is.." i generally think he has solid taste in games but the cringey right-wing-sjw poo poo was just too much.

the nucas fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 22, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Ularg posted:

Hey y'all why does the doom 3 menu music sound like Laterus is about to start playing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzI7DLR0DPU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tcW-j7KFgY&t=69s

lol yeah the first time i booted d3 up i legit thought they brought in tool to do a song like they did with reznor and quake

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

the nucas posted:

he was unhappy about the original mirror's edge for having a female main character too. i recall this being the review of his where i realized "oh he's one of these guys" because his description of the plot ran "the main character is an asian female, because of course she is.." i generally think he has solid taste in games but the cringey right-wing-sjw poo poo was just too much.

I mean he’s right. Of course it’s an Asian woman in a cyberpunk game. But I sincerely doubt his criticism of that stemmed from a nuanced understanding of Orientalism.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
what was with chris vrenna and id tech 4 games anyway. was he part of the licensing agreement along with steve blum

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

the nucas posted:

uh can you think of any examples of this? because i really don't remember this happening.

Half-Life 2 maybe? Though maybe that was more showing off their physics somehow

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

It’s always weird to me when I watch a dude review games for a while, then come on here and find out they’re nazis. Like the GGGMan dude. I was watching his stuff forever along with LGR and had no idea he was viewed like that. Then I read about his other shenanigans and it’s like “ah gently caress the guys an idiot.” His delivery does remind me a lot of if Yahtzee had longer videos and took a Valium before reviewing. I need to check out Civvie though, he seems cool. And LGR is the best.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I mean, when he "reviews" a racist 4chan doom mod talking about how "it's just parody it's not that offensive that I'm shooting floating jew heads with a shotgun" should kinda be the only red flag you need to stay away.

the nucas posted:

Yea I remember pointing something like that out and one dude made it his mission for a couple weeks to spam me with various "KYS" messages.

zindryr
Dec 13, 2004
Nothing
Back again to invite you guys out to some more old and dead multiplayer Goldsrc games. Tonight we're going to be playing Snow-war in celebration of the holidays. So if you ever found yourself wanting to experience what it's like to kill someone with a snowball instead of various guns, or you want to participate in a snowball fight and you don't have any snow, or you'd just rather do it in a video game instead of outside, then here's your chance to do so with some other random dudes.

We'll mostly be joining into the server around 10PM PST (1AM EST), as per the usual. If you want to play, grab the mod from here and then join the server here (server.kuoushi.com:27015) when the time comes.

boof
Jun 3, 2001
With all this talk of DOS youtubers I feel the need to throw a recommendation out for Ross Scott's channel (aka the guy who did that whole Freeman's Mind thing a decade ago), especially his Ross's Game Dungeon videos. Not sure which one would be a decent showcase but, hell, here's him talking about Maabus for half an hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDx7KajLZhU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Ross's Game Dungeon and Mandalore are the only two video game youtubes I always make sure to watch. I've always thought gggmanlives was boring and formulaic with a sprinkling of bigotry occasionally. I was kind of saddened to see him get a shoutout at the end of the Dusk graphic novel, especially now that I know what his name implies. It's pretty embarrassing.

Anyway, here's my youtube channel recommendation comedy option:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhXMfQN4I3Q

treat fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 23, 2018

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
e; whoops

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ross's Deus Ex videos are probably the best thing he's done.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Not related to fps games at all but on the topic of good youtubers, VashTSB's Nier Automata video is loving art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS3_DRX_Gm4

Only issue I've had with him are the times he's thought using "f*g" was a good punchline to a joke.

(would also recommend Codex Entry but I'm biased being really attached to their discord server)

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

treat posted:

Ross's Game Dungeon and Mandalore are the only two video game youtubes I always make sure to watch. I've always thought gggmanlives was boring and formulaic with a sprinkling of bigotry occasionally. I was kind of saddened to see him get a shoutout at the end of the Dusk graphic novel, especially now that I know what his name implies. It's pretty embarrassing.

Anyway, here's my youtube channel recommendation comedy option:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhXMfQN4I3Q

Forgot about Mandalore, he’s good poo poo; been subscribed to him for years. Don’t remember if I’ve visited Ross’s station.

I’m having an issue where Blood Redux crashes on new game start. Why goons, why?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i think vega got copied onto the sd card because the size of the computer he ran on was to crunch the numbers for the hell regulation poo poo. like i dont think the bitcoin generating program has a huge file size, but it does take up a lot of computing power. just his personality would probably run on something smaller

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Just because you don’t have a DVD player to play a dvd doesn’t mean your dvd won’t work later. Same for Vega.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im playing Shadow Warrior 2 for the first time and I want to spray a water bottle in the face of everyone involved in this loot drop/customization mechanics.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

the nucas posted:

It's one of those things where I think back and I can think of a handful of examples, but I know there were more that I'd see in reviews and videos on Gametrailers.com and stuff. It's a lovely cop-out answer, I know.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 23, 2018

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Barudak posted:

Im playing Shadow Warrior 2 for the first time and I want to spray a water bottle in the face of everyone involved in this loot drop/customization mechanics.

if it helps, it's pretty much nearly 100% ignorable beyond 'put on the best crap and leave it as such'

they should really have kept it to just interesting stuff like the alternate firing mode changes, but, whatever

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Mass Effect 1 has mandatory vehicle sections that feel kind of Halo-inspired. They mostly suck and got removed from the sequel, only for significantly less bad non-mandatory vehicle sections to be added in as like a vestigial DLC thing. I don’t know that it was specifically done to capitalize on Halo but it sure feels like it. The Mako’s physics are like the naive outsider art version of Halo 1’s hilarious floaty vehicles that flip the gently caress off into the sky at the drop of a hat.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Mandalore has one of my favorite running gags. In a lot of his videos, he'll have a shot or short sequence of an enemy getting electrocuted or shocked or hit with a plasma weapon or something, and very faintly in the background you can hear the audio of Marv getting electrocuted from Home Alone and it slays me EVERY TIME.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

skasion posted:

Mass Effect 1 has mandatory vehicle sections that feel kind of Halo-inspired. They mostly suck and got removed from the sequel, only for significantly less bad non-mandatory vehicle sections to be added in as like a vestigial DLC thing. I don’t know that it was specifically done to capitalize on Halo but it sure feels like it. The Mako’s physics are like the naive outsider art version of Halo 1’s hilarious floaty vehicles that flip the gently caress off into the sky at the drop of a hat.

Mass Effect is 3rd person action RPG. Also I love the Mako hand over heart.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Barudak posted:

You don't like hundreds of samey items you have to slowly sort through to see which one gives the best .1% stat increase?

the nucas posted:

Many console FPS/TPS after halo had one.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 23, 2018

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Mass Effect is 3rd person action RPG. Also I love the Mako hand over heart.

It's still an action game, which is what the original post is talking about.

If someone made a mod for ME1 which just completely replaced the Mako with the ME2 Hammerhead and changed nothing else, I'd probably pay actual money for it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

skasion posted:

It's still an action game, which is what the original post is talking about.

If someone made a mod for ME1 which just completely replaced the Mako with the ME2 Hammerhead and changed nothing else, I'd probably pay actual money for it.

The Hammerhead was made of tissue paper, and no weapons. It was a poor replacement for the Mako. Granted I never played the Xbox release; i was on PC and never had any issues controlling he Mako with mouse and keyboard.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

if it helps, it's pretty much nearly 100% ignorable beyond 'put on the best crap and leave it as such'

they should really have kept it to just interesting stuff like the alternate firing mode changes, but, whatever

I'm not bothering with any of it, so good to hear I won't need to.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Barudak posted:

There's some that have drastic effects but you don't get many of them so they're separate than the endless "5 points fire damage" type ones.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I half-remember a Geth-related DLC for ME2 that was almost all-vehicle and was really boring and back-tracky.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Barudak posted:

yeah, don't worry about very minute differences, just pop on a thing that looks and sounds good. some of the stuff like the charge shot ones can be really cool depending on the weapon but it's good to keep in mind the pros and cons of using stuff like that instead of normal firing.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Plan Z posted:

I half-remember a Geth-related DLC for ME2 that was almost all-vehicle and was really boring and back-tracky.

The Hammerhead content is mostly garbage, but the Hammerhead itself is hugely less frustrating to use than the Mako. It’s similarly underpowered in a fight, but it’s fun to drive and not just to laugh at.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I have a couple levels of Doom Ultra-Nightmare that I'm not ranked top 1,000 in. It begins.

I felt bad because I only went from like 4,151 to 1,220 in the first level. But then Argent Facility I jumped from 1,405 to 356.

But now I have to do Argent Energy Tower and I kinda hate that level.

On ME talk the hammerhead might be a better vehicle but its content felt like baby missions compared to how relaxing and enjoyable I felt roaming around an empty planet on the Mako. However I am the type of person that would just go exploring the maps instead of playing the game when I played that RTS version of Battlezone. And I do unironically love No Man Sky.

Space it neat yall

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There was one neat sidequest that could only be found/done with the Mako that was otherwise unnoted and was ported to ME2 where it did nothing and then in ME3 it wasn't imported at all so hahah for doing it!

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I didn't mind the Mako until that one planet that was basically all-mountain. Even then, that one was easier on later playthroughs. The Hammerhead was fine, but I'm not huge on the "hold the vehicle in the center" resource collection gimmick.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Ularg posted:

On ME talk the hammerhead might be a better vehicle but its content felt like baby missions compared to how relaxing and enjoyable I felt roaming around an empty planet on the Mako.

Yeah this is what I mean when I say I’d love to just port the Hammerhead into ME1. The Hammerhead’s super-powered jump jets even seem like they’re a direct answer to how the thrusters on the Mako were totally inadequate to the huge steep mountains you have to climb, but ME2 has nothing of the kind so you just use them for somewhat gimmicky hops in the handful of missions that actually use the thing.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

ME1 mako had it's moments like the first 20 sec of this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ym9e_kqSlc

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Was reminded of this, and now I want this Duke for a movie:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The ME1 Mako was great because it could drive up sheer walls.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Thyrork posted:

Was reminded of this, and now I want this Duke for a movie:

I mean, this is essentially Lo Wang's characterization in the nu shadow warrior and it works pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'd just like to say, and yes I saw Bumblebee in theaters on Friday night, Stan Bush's The Touch is a drat fine song. Transformers the movie (1986) is a masterpiece of film. Lo Wang in that mediocre game sung the song, and it was featured in Bumblebee as a little easter egg. But it's not a laughing matter. It's just drat good music. There's nothing funny about The Touch by Stan Bush. It's like going into a museum and laughing at the Mona Lisa. Happy Holidays, fraggers.