Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Oh yeah Kerberos is definitely alive - as are voxels, at least in niche fields like 3D microscopy. (Ask me about the user friendliness of picture stack merging plugins for ImageJ written by one guy at a lab in Germany. Or don't; your first guess is probably spot on.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cojawfee posted:

I guess you don't work for the government then. It seems like the government learns of a word once, and then that's the word that has to be used for the next 100 years. Hold on, I need to do my cyber awareness challenge on my government information system.

Financial industry too. "Cyber" has morphed itself into a synonym for "cybersecurity", which is apparently the only remaining extant term with that prefix.

We just had our audit process roll through and we spent two months in dread of the Cyber Team.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I put on my robe and wizard hat.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Humphreys posted:

I remember hearing something crazy that it costs you money to receive SMS on your phones in the USA. Is that really a thing?

Maybe about a decade ago?

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

Buttcoin purse posted:

Weird, I never knew those things existed. I guess none of my hardware was old enough to need it.

I noticed the second time I scrolled past the weird F1-F12 key layout. I was going to ask WTF that was, but then when I just did a Google search for "compaq keyboard" the first match was to a YouTube video showing a keyboard that looks like yours. So is this what it is?

Yeah that's the one. I use it cause it's pretty compact and i haven't got a huge amount of desk space. It's got a nice feel typing, plus the trackball is optical so it doesn't get gummed up all the time. Mouse roller gunk: now there's a tech relic nobody misses.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Last Chance posted:

Yeah I think my last phone plan that had limited texts was from the late era where smart phones were not yet required to exist as a human, so like 2011

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Humphreys posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QyYaPWasos

EDIT:

I remember hearing something crazy that it costs you money to receive SMS on your phones in the USA. Is that really a thing?

Usually data plans have unlimited talk/text included, but if you do "pay by the minute" it does.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I wonder how long it will be before 2-factor auth systems that send you an SMS code will be able to stop saying "SMS FEES MAY APPLY, CONSULT YOUR PHONE CARRIER FOR DETAILS"

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Sam Hall posted:

Yeah that's the one. I use it cause it's pretty compact and i haven't got a huge amount of desk space. It's got a nice feel typing, plus the trackball is optical so it doesn't get gummed up all the time. Mouse roller gunk: now there's a tech relic nobody misses.

i don't miss it, but it was very satisfying to scrape that gunk off.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I still use a trackball on all of my computers so I clean gunk a couple times a week.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
We still use the term bootstrap in software development land a lot. It’s become the generic term for stuff that needs to run at startup to get everything ready then handoff to the actual container that runs the app

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Buttcoin purse posted:

Indie game designers still like this stuff!

It's been superseded by Pixel Art. The last game I remember using Voxels is the decades old Cold War helicopter games. GZDoom does have it as part of it's feature set with a couple of abandoned samples.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

oohhboy posted:

It's been superseded by Pixel Art. The last game I remember using Voxels is the decades old Cold War helicopter games. GZDoom does have it as part of it's feature set with a couple of abandoned samples.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/562860/announcements/detail/1712950695586677092

quote:

You wanted it, we're bringing it!
Introducing next-generation 3D technology in Ion Maiden ..... VOXELS!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Scroll Lock is dead but it's on every keyboard still.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Star Man posted:

Scroll Lock is dead but it's on every keyboard still.

You can still use it for command line stuff

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
And Excel though with mouse scrolling it's pretty much never needed

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What about the SysRq key? Do wintel keyboards still have that?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Uh, also "Wintel" I guess

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Cupholder

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah doesn’t have to be computer related so stuff like:

Dial in
Black box
Tune

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I have a sudden memory of winsock32.dll or something crashing and as long as I didn't click the OK button I could still be dialed up. I would also use a piece of freeware called Lemon Dialer that would keep track of how long I was online, which not a useful feature to me, but it was a very pretty piece of software featuring a large lemon. https://web.archive.org/web/20010128211900/http://carbello.se/lemon/index.html

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Empress Brosephine posted:

Yeah doesn’t have to be computer related so stuff like:

Dial in
Black box
Tune

All 3 of those are still used regularly, though maybe with a different meaning.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

doctorfrog posted:

it was a very pretty piece of software featuring a large lemon.

Ah, the good old days.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

NESticle

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

winamp visualization

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Genecyst

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
It really whips the llama's rear end.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

There's something you don't normally see, the Build Engine. The game seems interesting enough to keep an eye on but it has to top what I have played on GZDoom or GTFO.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
SOMETHING AWFUL DOT COM!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Voxels are used in almost everything these days. Fortnite and Minecraft use them to store world geometry, other games use them for light and fog volumes.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Last Chance posted:

A decade ago is roughly when they starting offering unlimited texting for an extra fee. It was only around 5 years ago that the US carriers dropped all extra charges for them, probably in no small part due to the rise of IP-based messaging programs. In particular, Apple sending messages between iPhones over the internet by default was probably a real kick in the teeth to mobile providers.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Texting as an add-on or fee is really tied to that era where anything web/internet related was concerned with OH gently caress WE USED 37 MBs OF DATA/WE HAVE TO PAY FOR ALL THAT BANDWIDTH USED.

That very quickly fell out of an actual concern but the providers love having add-ons.

I'm actually quite pissed at Sprint because their base plans throttle you to loving SD quality streams and poo poo. I was all set to jump ship to their service but gently caress that loving bullshit.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FilthyImp posted:

Texting as an add-on or fee is really tied to that era where anything web/internet related was concerned with OH gently caress WE USED 37 MBs OF DATA/WE HAVE TO PAY FOR ALL THAT BANDWIDTH USED.

That very quickly fell out of an actual concern but the providers love having add-ons.

Remember paying three bucks for a "custom" (pre-made) ringtone?

FilthyImp posted:

I'm actually quite pissed at Sprint because their base plans throttle you to loving SD quality streams and poo poo. I was all set to jump ship to their service but gently caress that loving bullshit.

Wouldn't a VPN or other tunnel take care of that? Sprint would be able to see a bunch of data going by, but they'd have no idea if it was a video stream or just a big download, since it'd be encrypted to hell and back.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Charging for texts was stupid because it was something your phone was already doing for free.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
When the iPhone was first released, AT&T’s billing system was unprepared for the advent of unlimited data.

Every time the phone opened a connection, a new line item was generated for the bill. The price for all was $0.00, but AT&T dutifully printed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdULhkh6yeA

https://www.computerworld.com/article/2540432/mobile-wireless/iphone-owners-rail-at-at-t-for-wasting-paper-on-massive-bills.html

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Charging for texts was stupid because it was something your phone was already doing for free.

Yep. The whole reason for the seemingly arbitrary 160 character message length limit is because they just packed the SMS data into some unused space in the packets the phone was already receiving anyways.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Platystemon posted:

When the iPhone was first released, AT&T’s billing system was unprepared for the advent of unlimited data.

Every time the phone opened a connection, a new line item was generated for the bill. The price for all was $0.00, but AT&T dutifully printed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdULhkh6yeA

https://www.computerworld.com/article/2540432/mobile-wireless/iphone-owners-rail-at-at-t-for-wasting-paper-on-massive-bills.html
Frontline did a thing 6 years ago about all the deaths that happened because of the big push for more data after the iPhone came out. Basically a bunch of unqualified people were hired to build and service cell towers, and some of them decided that doing drugs while climbing towers was a good idea.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

I have a sudden memory of winsock32.dll or something crashing and as long as I didn't click the OK button I could still be dialed up.

The command line to fix a winsock crash was 'netsh winsock reset' followed by 'winipcfg' and resetting the IP address.

I remember Windows 3.1 systems running Trumpet Winsock because the Microsoft TCP/IP implementation didn't natively support windows sockets until Windows 95.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Cojawfee posted:

Even stupider was charging the recipient rather than the sender. For either calls or texts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Data Graham posted:

What about the SysRq key? Do wintel keyboards still have that?

Not on a recent Dell Latitude laptop keyboard, but I haven't seen a desktop keyboard without one yet. They're used by Linux, so probably not going away on normal keyboards any time soon.