Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I didn't know that about defence, and don't have enough good troops to colour match on attack, but hopefully I'll do better next war.

Not that Gem Blossums are very serious about warring :v:

E: I just pulled a Dark Monolith, which is the first gold I've had that rates a "generally strong" in Grundulum's list. What's the strategy for this guy? It looks like his third trait would make him super strong in long battles but I'm usually dead by the time the enemy has procced a few spells. Not that I have anything like enough traitstones anyway.

Related: what's the go-to farming method for traitstones?

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Dec 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Maugrim posted:

Related: what's the go-to farming method for traitstones?

1. Explore the appropriate kingdom on lowest difficulty one bajillion times

2. Pray that the traitstone comes with the glory troop and purchase a bunch with glory

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Ugh. 2 and 3 with Bandires brown team. The number of cascades ineach match was impressive. For intance I got up and let the dig in and their turn still wasnt over.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Enkor posted:

Yeah, for defense the color doesn't matter, but they should be unique; for attack reusing troops is fine but you want them to match the day's color. (I usually drop down to 3 color-matched troops against the spookier teams.)

So really you need six defense teams that are totally unique with no duplicated and then one attack team per color?

That changes things for next guild wars for me for sure! Maybe we can share lists of attack and defend teams before then?

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
This is probably a tiny difference either way but if I can use a skill and win but have a board full of 4/5 matches, do I get more points for taking all the matches before I use the skill and end the game? I've never been sure on the using less moves to win for guild wars score, was it talking about turns or about any action?

Also, we had great participation this week for guild wars.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Depends posted:

This is probably a tiny difference either way but if I can use a skill and win but have a board full of 4/5 matches, do I get more points for taking all the matches before I use the skill and end the game? I've never been sure on the using less moves to win for guild wars score, was it talking about turns or about any action?

Also, we had great participation this week for guild wars.

As I understand it, the exact formula isn't known. We do know that the mana you collect versus the mana they collect counts toward your final score, but only up to a 4:1 ratio. So if you exploded the board a few times, collected some 4/5 match cascades, and they only took some 3's then you're already over 4:1 and more mana won't help. Actually counting up the mana is not something I do, I just get a basic feel for it.

On the other hand, I am told that actions used are worth only about 1 point, so that would mean a maximum of 29 points if you somehow win with your first move. Based on that I would say unless you know you collected a huge surplus of mana, it's probably best to spend a turn to collect an extra 5. And especially if it's a long game and you've already used 30 moves then there's no downside.

Devonaut fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 24, 2018

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Maugrim posted:

E: I just pulled a Dark Monolith, which is the first gold I've had that rates a "generally strong" in Grundulum's list. What's the strategy for this guy?

He’s on that list because of Stoneskin and the fact that his spell does decent damage to the weakest enemies—which means that you’ll preferentially remove enemy troops from the board rather than softening strong ones. His third trait is unreliable for the reason you mentioned: long drawn-out fights are normally long and drawn-out because the enemies are tough, and in those cases you absolutely do not want the AI casting any spells.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

The glory shop arcane for the week of 12/24 is green/yellow (Light) - 300 glory for 1 trait stone.

Key Troops:

Forest Guardian (Legendary) - Beast focused dual converter (purple to skulls, brown to green). Beast teams pop up often enough to make this guy very useful.
Queen Grapplepot (Legendary) - Goblins are a solid team for a good chunk of the mid game, and the queen is a big reason why. Does good damage with no opportunity cost, and increases survivability of goblins on gem matches. Nobend Brothers, Princess Fizzbang, Queen Grapplepot are the core of higher tier goblin teams. Finish with either a board control goblin (Goblin Rocket or Boar Rider), a thief class hero, or Goblin King. I miss my goblin team.

Other Notables:

Ranger (Rare) - I am only mentioning Ranger because he was my bane when I started playing. Massive damage to a single target combined with a bunch of split damage that was boosted by my troops? So many wipes to this thing. Now it is a complete non-threat.
Holy St. Astra (Legendary) - Full party buff, with a lightstorm and enchant on all humans, and starts humans with 50% mana. I feel like she could be a very useful member of a human focused team, but I haven't seen her used yet. Might change once more people get her traited this week.
Elven Bard (Rare) - Surprisingly powerful spell, and revered can be very powerful before you are stacking dozens of bonus points to every stat.

Other Legendaries:

Orion - Useful skull damage trait, but no tank ability, and a spell that does a range of damage. The increase in damage isn't enough over a typical match to elevate this centaur to serious use.
Saguaro - Scratch damage on skull match and infernal armor are not a terrible combination, and the spell that buffs his attack and health while damaging the weakest enemies make for an interesting combination that just doesn't fit anywhere. Kraken is a better source of scratch damage to remove barriers.

Queen Aurora is the only mythic currently in the game that uses Light traitstones. Another mythic that can fit on just about any team to catch unused mana. Heals and barriers with a solid gem creation from the spell.

Also looks like the the Pan's Vale faction is getting added this week, which will be green/yellow, no blue. Rabbit focused, lots of random effects.

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

Gonna ask for another invite-KURT914. Will try joining through the guild listing this time

I got abhorath last week and powering up to the point where he starts oneshotting people is pretty rad

Ive read some of the previous pages and of course im missing hellcat for alchemist loops :negative:

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

give head or get dead posted:

Gonna ask for another invite-KURT914. Will try joining through the guild listing this time

I got abhorath last week and powering up to the point where he starts oneshotting people is pretty rad

Ive read some of the previous pages and of course im missing hellcat for alchemist loops :negative:

Invite sent.

Now, I'm not sure if you knew this before choosing your username in-game, but there's a weekly guild event where you have to destroy as many towers as possible and I think you'd appreciate that.

And yeah, I've not stopped using Hellcat + Alchemist in some way once someone in the thread pointed that loop out. Just last week I got Kraken and Queen Tutania online with them and it's been :eyepop:

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Hellcat/Alchemist gets brought up a lot because it was one of the first converter pairs that worked together, but it is by no means the only one. They have added a bunch of that template (10-14 mana single converter with minor additional effect). There are two of them for every color except brown, which has one. A bunch of them offer summons, which is a good defensive tactic (Ablative Quasit Armor). The full list is:

Name - Mana Cost - Transform To (Used Colors)

Alchemist - 10 - Yellow (red/brown)
Apothecary - 10 - Brown (green/blue)
Diviner - 13 - Yellow (green/brown)
Erinyes - 13 - Purple (brown/yellow)
Giant Spider - 12 - Purple (green/blue)
Green Seer - 10 - Green (purple/yellow)
Hellcat - 12 - Red (purple/yellow)
Lord Ember - 12 - Red (brown/purple)
Spiritdancer - 13 - Green (blue/purple)
Stormsinger - 10 - Blue (purple/yellow)
Valkyrie - 10 - Blue (red/yellow)

Not all of these can be used in pairs (yet.) Stormsinger/Giant Spider, Green Seer/Giant Spider, Green Seer/Diviner, Spiritdancer/Giant Spider, Hellcat/Alchemist are the current pairings.

For this week's event, Stryx are garbage and I have no ideas on a team composition. I am using Earth's Fury, Stormsinger, Ixchel, Taloca, but mostly powering through on stats.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Arbetor posted:

For this week's event, Stryx are garbage and I have no ideas on a team composition. I am using Earth's Fury, Stormsinger, Ixchel, Taloca, but mostly powering through on stats.
Yes they are. I'm using:

Ixchel ***
Trickster's Shot +9 Orbweaver
Garuda ***
Heronath ***

I use Garuda to strip armor from everyone if needed, Heronath creates a leafstorm and boosts everyones armor. (although I might swap that out for Owleth) - I am upgrading the Orbweaver class; so that is an influence. I like Earth's Fury for tower events because it ramps up the skull damage for the captain. I'm also tempted to sub in Dawnbringer for the barrier, but I don't think it'd fill often enough to make a difference.

Anyone have other builds?

Iceman2343
May 7, 2007

I'll take the Job.

Just downloaded the game and got past the tutorial. If there is any open spots left, my invite code is ICEMAN2343_4UHJ.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush
To get those combo troops just buy gold keys? Or save all my gold for unlocking new cities?

And what do I spend gems on?

Thanks.
P.s. I decided to change my username
P.p.s merry Christmas
P.p.p.s. Pp is funny

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Only spend gold on cities - get gold early on in the arena. Once all your cities are level 10, use the gold toward guild tasks.

Spend the keys, do the PvP every week.

Use gems for armor, Dragon first for the gold, Celestial second for the souls.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

EvilMayo posted:

To get those combo troops just buy gold keys? Or save all my gold for unlocking new cities?

And what do I spend gems on?

Thanks.
P.s. I decided to change my username
P.p.s merry Christmas
P.p.p.s. Pp is funny

Even with my few days of playing I can say you should never pay gold for gold keys. You'll get a ton of those. Use all of your gold for kingdoms or maybe guild tasks.

I'm getting to the point where I really need to start spending gems on chests because as far as I can see there is no other way to get decent troops other than play for a really long time. (or spend money)

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
This looks like another week where the best choice is stop at tier v, use an Ascension orb, and run multiple seigebreakers. Two in front with the convert to blue to feed them and Earths Fury in back is how I'm going.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

porktree posted:

Only spend gold on cities - get gold early on in the arena. Once all your cities are level 10, use the gold toward guild tasks.

Spend the keys, do the PvP every week.

Use gems for armor, Dragon first for the gold, Celestial second for the souls.

I got Celestial first because I'm permanently short of souls - you have so many classes and troops to level if you want to make headway in basically anything. Whereas gold is coming in at a steady rate and I've already got all kingdoms to 5.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Maugrim posted:

I got Celestial first because I'm permanently short of souls - you have so many classes and troops to level if you want to make headway in basically anything. Whereas gold is coming in at a steady rate and I've already got all kingdoms to 5.

You will cap out on soul requirements eventually. Gold is a better investment.

Maybe souls once all the kingdoms are unlocked and level 10. You'll get hundreds of souls just from the tributes.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

waffles beyond waffles posted:

You will cap out on soul requirements eventually. Gold is a better investment.

Counterpoint, I've been playing for over a year and am not even close to running out of things to spend souls on. When I do, there'll still be dawnbringer. For new players buying their first armor both more gold and more souls are very helpful.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
I just maxed out my kingdoms, what should my new long term goal be? Kingdom power?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Level up and trait all the troops you use or strong troops you might use, but yeah once that's done work on kingdom power. Focus on kingdoms that give magic bonuses first, then attack, life, and armor in that order.

Edit: It can also make sense to just start traiting the lower rarities first since that's the most bang per Traitstone. That's what I did way back before kingdom power was reworked the first time.

Bandire fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 26, 2018

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

LLSix posted:

Counterpoint, I've been playing for over a year and am not even close to running out of things to spend souls on. When I do, there'll still be dawnbringer. For new players buying their first armor both more gold and more souls are very helpful.

Same here, I'm level 1169 and I only have about two thirds of my troops at max level and 600k souls banked for dawnbringer. If I really wanted to I could probably get the rest fairly quickly but it would be really boring.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Don't forget about the disenchant all option for extra copies of fully ascended troops. That can really add up the longer you've been playing.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

I’ve been having fun using diviner to buff and feed my other elves. Any feedback is welcome. I’m using the archer class right now for the elf bonus.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Is Winter Imp as good as it seems - fully trailed out gains 8 MAGIC on Blue gem matches and does Magic+4 True Scatter damage, boosted 2x by Blue gems?

This just seems insane with Skadi and Azura.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Solkanar512 posted:

Is Winter Imp as good as it seems - fully trailed out gains 8 MAGIC on Blue gem matches and does Magic+4 True Scatter damage, boosted 2x by Blue gems?

This just seems insane with Skadi and Azura.

Is there anyone that does something boosted by Allies or All Troops magic?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Devor posted:

Not among the mythics.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Devor posted:

Sekhma. Can turn into quite the sniper! And is also a double converter, meaning you can often retain your turn by making a 4+ match with her cast. Edit: unfortunately, Sekhma converts blue gems to skulls, meaning it conflicts a bit with Winter Imp.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 28, 2018

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Grundulum posted:

Sekhma. Can turn into quite the sniper! And is also a double converter, meaning you can often retain your turn by making a 4+ match with her cast. Edit: unfortunately, Sekhma converts blue gems to skulls, meaning it conflicts a bit with Winter Imp.

You misspelled "Synergizes with the other heroes cranking out blue gems" :getin:

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
New faction this weekend: The Warrens, which uses yellow and green troops. I don’t think there is a need for early vs late teams with this one. The following team is doing quite nicely to level 80, and should carry me as far as I want to go.

Blackhawk banner
Titan/Mang
Apothecary
Wrath
The Possessed King/Queen Aurora (basically anything that can act in a support role)

The faction team promises to be a major pain in the dick, but here’s what I will try at levels 100, 200, and 300:

Warrens banner
Luna
Lapina Knight
Bunnicorn
Luna

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Is anyone playing the steam version? I'm getting a repeated Error 13 (asset failed to download) on a 3.54MB asset. Verifying game files, restarting my PC and reinstalling the game haven't fixed it.

Just submitted a support ticket, anyway.

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 29, 2018

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Just got Skadi traited out due to an orb, and holy poo poo is the constant ice storm with Azura hilarious.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Grundulum posted:

New faction this weekend: The Warrens, which uses yellow and green troops. I don’t think there is a need for early vs late teams with this one. The following team is doing quite nicely to level 80, and should carry me as far as I want to go.

Blackhawk banner
Titan/Mang
Apothecary
Wrath
The Possessed King/Queen Aurora (basically anything that can act in a support role)

The faction team promises to be a major pain in the dick, but here’s what I will try at levels 100, 200, and 300:

Warrens banner
Luna
Lapina Knight
Bunnicorn
Luna

I think the standard Divine team also works. I like the look of your team, too!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
From a month of play, I just got my first orb of chaos, which turned into an orb of wisdom.

Wtf is an orb used for?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
There are four kinds of orbs. The first three below can be used in the troop menu (look for the Orbs tab). The fourth is used in the Guild menu.

• Green orbs are Orbs of Growth. A small one will level up a single troop once, saving you some souls. A large one will take a single troop to its highest allowed level (as high as 20 if the troop is mythic), saving you a bunch of souls. They can also be used on hero classes, for the same purpose.
  • Orange orbs are Orbs of Wisdom. A small one purchases a single trait for the troop in question. A large one buy all three troops. This saves potentially a whooooole lot of traitstones, especially if you use these on second/third traits for base legendary or mythic troops. As with Orbs of Growth, they can be used on hero classes for the same purpose.
  • Blue orbs, Orbs of Ascension, are the rarest and most precious. A minor orb will increase the rarity of a troop one tier, just as if you had sacrificed enough troops the normal way. Obviously only do this to go from legendary to mythic, since that’s the most expensive tier to reach. Major Orbs of Ascension will take any troop all the way to mythic, equivalent to collecting and sacrificing 15-190 copies of that troop. For hero classes, these orbs will give you class wins toward the class weapon that unlocks at 250 wins as that class. I am a hoarder in most games I play, and have yet to spend a single Orb of Ascension. I can’t even imagine a troop that would make me want to spend a major one.
  • Purple orbs are Orbs of Clans. They are spent in the Seals tab of the Guild menu to earn additional guild seals towards your total that week. This can take you beyond 1500 for the week, so don’t spend orbs until you hit the normal cap for the week. In Gem Boiz, we recommend that players save their Orbs of Clans until the week where new mythic troops are released; this bumps our guild chests up to a higher tier than normal, making for better results. No idea what Gem Blossums suggests.

Technically, there is a fifth kind of orb: Orb of Power. It takes three major Orbs of Growth, Wisdom, and Ascension to craft a single Orb of Power. If used, such an orb maxes the rarity of a troop, buys all traits, and levels it to 20. There is also the mythic troop Zuul’Goth, who can be crafted in the Soul Forge for eight Orbs of Power :shepicide:.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 29, 2018

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Invasions are the place I most often want to use orbs of Ascension. Tier V plus an orb saves hundreds of gems over Tier VI and gives the option of running multiple mythic event troops.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Grundulum posted:

There are four kinds of orbs. The first three below can be used in the troop menu (look for the Orbs tab). The fourth is used in the Guild menu.

• Green orbs are Orbs of Growth. A small one will level up a single troop once, saving you some souls. A large one will take a single troop to its highest allowed level (as high as 20 if the troop is mythic), saving you a bunch of souls. They can also be used on hero classes, for the same purpose.
  • Orange orbs are Orbs of Wisdom. A small one purchases a single trait for the troop in question. A large one buy all three troops. This saves potentially a whooooole lot of traitstones, especially if you use these on second/third traits for base legendary or mythic troops. As with Orbs of Growth, they can be used on hero classes for the same purpose.
  • Blue orbs, Orbs of Ascension, are the rarest and most precious. A minor orb will increase the rarity of a troop one tier, just as if you had sacrificed enough troops the normal way. Obviously only do this to go from legendary to mythic, since that’s the most expensive tier to reach. Major Orbs of Ascension will take any troop all the way to mythic, equivalent to collecting and sacrificing 15-190 copies of that troop. For hero classes, these orbs will give you class wins toward the class weapon that unlocks at 250 wins as that class. I am a hoarder in most games I play, and have yet to spend a single Orb of Ascension. I can’t even imagine a troop that would make me want to spend a major one.
  • Purple orbs are Orbs of Clans. They are spent in the Seals tab of the Guild menu to earn additional guild seals towards your total that week. This can take you beyond 1500 for the week, so don’t spend orbs until you hit the normal cap for the week. In Gem Boiz, we recommend that players save their Orbs of Clans until the week where new mythic troops are released; this bumps our guild chests up to a higher tier than normal, making for better results. No idea what Gem Blossums suggests.

Technically, there is a fifth kind of orb: Orb of Power. It takes three major Orbs of Growth, Wisdom, and Ascension to craft a single Orb of Power. If used, such an orb maxes the rarity of a troop, buys all traits, and levels it to 20. There is also the mythic troop Zuul’Goth, who can be crafted in the Soul Forge for eight Orbs of Power :shepicide:.

Great info, thank you!

I don't think Gem Blossums has any policies really. We typically only get to 10k or so seals in any week. Only a couple of us even seem to participate in the guild events. I'd guess I'd like to be in a guild that tried to do that stuff, but on the other hand I never manage to earn my full 1500 seals in a week so I'm probably not hardcore enough for Gem Boiz.

Treasure Hunt is fun even if inefficient. Scored 223 on one today.

EDIT: How are orbs typically gained? I presume there's other ways besides logging in every day for a month. Can you craft the minor ones into major ones somehow?

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 30, 2018

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Orbs come from: monthly calendar, one every 25 pet levels, gnome vault, and event rewards, collectively for the guild in invasions, raids, and towers I think, and individually from bounties and delve faction events. (And theoretically from class events, but that's so deep in that most shouldn't bother.). And, finally, from being in the top 100 of a leaderboard in any event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Yes, minor orbs can be converted into major orbs in the soulforge. But the conversion rate is terrible. It takes 4 orbs of wisdom to make a major orb of wisdom, 4 orbs of ascension to make a major, and 20 orbs of growth to make a major. The only reason to use any of these conversions is if you have taken leave of your senses and want to craft Zuul'goth.

The only troop I have used major orb of ascension on are bounty troops. But I had a string where every major orb of chaos I got for a month was a major orb of ascension.