Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

SirSamVimes posted:

People in this thread actually didn't believe me when I said what's up there (in spoiler tags of course)

Can you spoil it for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I still need to do the third and fourth pantheons :negative:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Nanigans posted:

Can you spoil it for me?

endless zote mode

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

C-Euro posted:

I still need to do the third and fourth pantheons :negative:

Soudns like you also need to do the fifth too :madmax:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
No one needs to do the fifth

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Nanigans posted:

Can you spoil it for me?

SirSamVimes posted:

Godmaster already has the greatest reward possible. Spoiler for secret area that you probably won't find on your own, I sure didn't.

In the top right of the Hall of Gods is a ceiling you can jump through that requires climbing above the locked grate, supsrdashing and double jumping. You must then climb blindly for a while and then break up through a breakable ceiling.

You will then discover the endless onslaught. It will start with the Colliseum of Fools Zote, except he can deal damage. Kill him and you will start a tide of Zotes. Zotes you have seen in the Colliseum and summoned by Grey Prince Zote. Brand new Zotes never seen before by man or bug. They'll just keep coming, heralded by a chorus of Zotes singing the soundtrack. I assume that eventually there'll be Grey Princes spawning, but I died after killing 24 Zotes. There's a Zote kill counter, by the way.

How could there be any reward greater than this?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I recently picked this up and am loving it, though I've just gotten the first upgrade for my Nail and stumbled into the Soul Sanctum. The flying enemies with the orb flying around them are reaming me, should I have gone back to fight the Mantis area boss first? Quirrel(?) basically said go upgrade my Nail - which I did, but I feel like this area is just slapping me about.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

soul sanctum is a good place to be now. mantis bosses won’t really open anything up for you aside from an area you probably won’t want to do till later. there’s a shortcut you can make into the soul sanctum in an elevator shaft on a left wall with a bench on the other side

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Soul sanctum and its boss are pretty brutal, but it’s also an area and boss fight that reward learning the tricks and patterns more than any other in the game, imo. If you stick with it, you’ll get the hang of it. Definitely takes some patience though.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Cheers both. I'll keep at it! Loving the game so far.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I've been grinding out the pantheons in fits and starts, and yesterday I managed to get through the third one and finally make it all the way to Pure Vessel in the fourth pantheon. As much as I love this game, I don't know that I can see myself taking the necessary steps to get through the final pantheon. I think I'm good enough to beat the fourth pantheon if I practice for 2-3 more hours, though I haven't even been able to beat Pure Vessel in the practice mode. That final pantheon though, holy poo poo. It took me at least two hours to beat Nightmare King Grim when his DLC first showed up. The idea of practicing to the point where I can beat him 50% of the time or more seems nearly impossible, and adding Pure Vessel and Absolute Radiance to the mix...it would probably take me 30-40 more hours of prep and attempts to finish this DLC, which is how long I've spent with the game in total.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 23, 2018

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's mainly just there for those who want to push themselves, so don't fret it if you don't feel like putting in the time to accomplish it. if it comes to it you can totally just look up whatever extra little bits come from going through with it all but nothing is required viewing by any means.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Yeah I never got to beat Grimm and just banished him instead so I'll never do that last pantheon

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Speaking as having done the final pantheon: once you can beat PV regularly, NKG is a pushover. He is slower, has bigger telegraphs, and has more opportunities for healing. It's really the back-to-back of PV and AR that hurts your morale.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Welp, just like that I finished the fourth pantheon. Honestly, the biggest pain in the rear end for me is having the steroid version of false knight right in the middle. I eventually figured out a good strat for him, and then watcher knights are a great opportunity to manage your resources and heal up before the final gauntlet.

It took about 20 or so tries but I finally beat PV twice in a row in practice, and then figured I was good to try the pantheon again. It took a few tries, but I finally got him. My strategy involves never healing and spamming magic, but I'll need to rethink that if I want to take on AR right after him in the final pantheon.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

il serpente cosmico posted:

Welp, just like that I finished the fourth pantheon. Honestly, the biggest pain in the rear end for me is having the steroid version of false knight right in the middle. I eventually figured out a good strat for him, and then watcher knights are a great opportunity to manage your resources and heal up before the final gauntlet.

It took about 20 or so tries but I finally beat PV twice in a row in practice, and then figured I was good to try the pantheon again. It took a few tries, but I finally got him. My strategy involves never healing and spamming magic, but I'll need to rethink that if I want to take on AR right after him in the final pantheon.

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure you get topped off during the transition from PV to AR. I don't think they touch your magic, but I didn't find it super helpful for the AR fight anyways. It's been a while though, maybe check the transition in a youtube video just to make sure I'm not talking out of my rear end.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I gave up trying to do the Pantheon of Hallownest eventually.

I was able to beat pure vessel reasonably consistently but I hit my max gaming-skill threshold on absolute radiance. Ultimately resigned myself to the fact that I was unlikely to be able to beat it in the Pantheon with the time I had available to play the game.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I just took a quick trip through the final Pantheon and got my rear end handed to me by the sisters of battle. I'll need to practice that a bit before I can proceed further. Up until that point nothing is too scary, though the nailmaster bros always give me more issues than they should.

EDIT: Eh, they aren't that hard. I was just unpracticed.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Dec 23, 2018

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I thought Deepnest was kicking my rear end but Kingdom's End(?) is wrecking my poo poo, those hopper dudes are something else.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Flipswitch posted:

I thought Deepnest was kicking my rear end but Kingdom's End(?) is wrecking my poo poo, those hopper dudes are something else.

There's usually a place you can stand that you can hit them and they can't get to you.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Oof, NKG is pounding my rear end. Practice time, I guess.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

guppy posted:

There's usually a place you can stand that you can hit them and they can't get to you.
Yeah I'm kind of trapped on a tram. I don't think i have the right equipment to keep travelling east and its a beast of a slog back to the city of tears. I may do that and then start exploring the crystal peaks. I've not really been there since getting the ground pound style skill.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

Yeah I'm kind of trapped on a tram. I don't think i have the right equipment to keep travelling east and its a beast of a slog back to the city of tears. I may do that and then start exploring the crystal peaks. I've not really been there since getting the ground pound style skill.

Crystal peaks is easier and has an important move skill.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I loving hate Ascended Markoth

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Flipswitch posted:

If you have Desolate Dive and you're getting mad at Great Hoppers I bet I know where you died. Try to get over to the right side of the room where he can't get and launch a few Vengeful Spirit / Shade Souls at him (there are a few regular Hoppers over in that side of the room to get some soul from). Soften him up a bit as much as you can and then just go all out at him. The thing he's guarding is worth it.

Also don't give up and backtrack--keep looking around in Kingdom's Edge and you might find that the City isn't so far away.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Markoth is not the hardest part of pan 5, but he is 100 % the most infuriating.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

OzFactor posted:

If you have Desolate Dive and you're getting mad at Great Hoppers I bet I know where you died. Try to get over to the right side of the room where he can't get and launch a few Vengeful Spirit / Shade Souls at him (there are a few regular Hoppers over in that side of the room to get some soul from). Soften him up a bit as much as you can and then just go all out at him. The thing he's guarding is worth it.

Also don't give up and backtrack--keep looking around in Kingdom's Edge and you might find that the City isn't so far away.
If that's via travelling up. I'm not sure i have the bits to travel up like a double jump. I'll keep looking!

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

Markoth is not the hardest part of pan 5, but he is 100 % the most infuriating.

It took me a while to get him in the Hall of Gods, but once I did, I realized I need to just all out blitz the motherfucker in the Pantheon, and I've been having good results.

I'm to the point where I can make NKG nearly every try with full health. Now it's a matter of practicing him and PV until they are completely demystified. There is something about NKG's Spiral Arrow into immediate Dragon Punch into Fireball Shower that still gives me trouble. The stupid fireballs catch me way more often than they should, but otherwise I think I have him down.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Dec 24, 2018

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i hate him with my life, he does not leave the bug alone

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I finally made it to Absolute Radiance, got my rear end handed to me, and then beat her on my fourth try in the Hall of Gods :( The fight is very showy but it's super readable and her patterns aren't anything crazy.

This feels a lot more attainable than it did a couple days ago, but I was also in a crazy flow state when beat her in practice mode. Hopefully I can get her on my first try when I make it back through the Pantheon.

Pro-tip: The Lifeblood door in Godhome is nearly worthless, but the one place it does help is the Pure Vessel fight in the fifth Pantheon. 3 extra HP for one of the toughest bosses is the game is nice! (I didn't bother going past 8 bindings because gently caress that).

EDIT: Realizing that I could get soul by dream nailing Failed Champ's head was a game-changer for the sequence that runs up to NKG.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Dec 24, 2018

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

It’s funny that you call AR readable, because a cool bug when the DLC launched was that in the final phase it would spawn energy balls in a different location than where the energy ball spawn animation was playing, which was a v cool trick

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

BBJoey posted:

It’s funny that you call AR readable, because a cool bug when the DLC launched was that in the final phase it would spawn energy balls in a different location than where the energy ball spawn animation was playing, which was a v cool trick

:lol: I'm glad I missed that

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

It took me a while to get him in the Hall of Gods, but once I did, I realized I need to just all out blitz the motherfucker in the Pantheon, and I've been having good results.

I'm to the point where I can make NKG nearly every try with full health. Now it's a matter of practicing him and PV until they are completely demystified. There is something about NKG's Spiral Arrow into immediate Dragon Punch into Fireball Shower that still gives me trouble. The stupid fireballs catch me way more often than they should, but otherwise I think I have him down.

When NKG is doing his claw swipe, I like to respond by either dashing away from him or shadow dashing through him. That way you can stay close to him when he leaps up, which means the nearest fireballs will be coming down nearly vertically. It's easier to find a safe spot between the fireballs if they're falling at a steep angle. Plus you can sneak in a sword swing at him just before he jumps.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

When NKG is doing his claw swipe, I like to respond by either dashing away from him or shadow dashing through him. That way you can stay close to him when he leaps up, which means the nearest fireballs will be coming down nearly vertically. It's easier to find a safe spot between the fireballs if they're falling at a steep angle. Plus you can sneak in a sword swing at him just before he jumps.

That fight has slowed down for me a good bit and I don't think I should lose to him going forward, so long as I have nearly full health going in to the fight. In general, I've been jumping over his lunge and then saving my shadow dash in case I need some invulnerability when the fireballs come down. I've given up on trying to consistently hit him when he does the dash - uppercut or the divekick - dash.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

That fight has slowed down for me a good bit and I don't think I should lose to him going forward, so long as I have nearly full health going in to the fight. In general, I've been jumping over his lunge and then saving my shadow dash in case I need some invulnerability when the fireballs come down. I've given up on trying to consistently hit him when he does the dash - uppercut or the divekick - dash.

It's possible to hit him consistently during either of those moves, but you're obviously not wrong to wait for bigger openings if you prefer. Slow and steady are very good adjectives when you're 35+ fights into a pantheon run, after all.

Sounds like you're closing in on victory. Don't give up, skeleton!

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

It's possible to hit him consistently during either of those moves, but you're obviously not wrong to wait for bigger openings if you prefer. Slow and steady are very good adjectives when you're 35+ fights into a pantheon run, after all.

Sounds like you're closing in on victory. Don't give up, skeleton!

I finally cleared the fifth pantheon tonight. I practiced the poo poo out of PV and NKG (and killed both ascended versions in the hall of God's), and also AR, though I couldn't beat the ascended version of her and figured the second phase is too random to want to continue trying.

After a stupid death on PV on my first run, I got to AR on my second run and beat her. All told, it took me about 25 hours to clear the Godmaster DLC, and that includes getting all 8 bindings from the first two pantheons.

Maybe now I'll do path of pain because I hate myself.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Dec 25, 2018

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Good job bro. Pantheon 5 felt loving great to complete.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I finally cleared the fifth pantheon tonight. I practiced the poo poo out of PV and NKG (and killed both ascended versions in the hall of God's), and also AR, though I couldn't beat the ascended version of her and figured the second phase is too random to want to continue trying.

After a stupid death on PV on my first run, I got to AR on my second run and best her. All told, it took me about 25 hours to clear the Godmaster DLC, and that includes getting all 8 bindings from the first two pantheons.

Maybe now I'll do path of pain because I hate myself.

Path of pain is awesome! And honestly not terribly hard. Although I think I’m better at the platforming than the bosses. I still can’t beat regular Radiance.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Arrhythmia posted:

Good job bro. Pantheon 5 felt loving great to complete.

No kidding; when I first read about it I didn't think I'd ever be able to do it. But after going through the first four pantheons, roughly 75% of the fifth felt pretty darn easy. I don't think I would have had the patience to make it through even the fourth pantheon without the ability to practice in the hall of gods, so good on Team Cherry for including that. It's been fun to revisit one of my favorite games.

ShadeofBlue posted:

Path of pain is awesome! And honestly not terribly hard. Although I think I’m better at the platforming than the bosses. I still can’t beat regular Radiance.

I'll be sure to give it a try. My timing with downward strikes isn't the best, but I'm sure I could do it with enough practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

I'll be sure to give it a try. My timing with downward strikes isn't the best, but I'm sure I could do it with enough practice.

As long as you don't get to zero HP (which you shouldn't if you have Hiveblood and the "magic for damage" charm), PoP is much easier than the last pantheon, as it has checkpoints along the way, so any progress you gain stays gained.