Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
There are 1000 games that do what MMOs should. Imagine a mount and blade MMO.

fr0ggerrr
Apr 18, 2011
Shadowbane was excellent. I was there when the Chinese took over the map. Ahh the last HOD/LoC bane. Those were the days.. I look forward to player run worlds on ATLAS :yarr:

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Apparently today is not the 21st though, or so it seems.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
I actually really liked Pandaria, it was nice and consistent and the theme was pretty much kept all the way though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Minnesota Mixup posted:

I'm looking forward to Diablo 4 being announced as a collectable card game for mobile only.

5 years from now Activision Blizzard will cancel development on Diablo 4 and declare Diablo Immortal to have been the real Di4blo all along.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Fallout 76 is going to sell a massive amount of copies and rewrite the sandbox genre completely. hosed up but true.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Moon Monster posted:

5 years from now Activision Blizzard will cancel development on Diablo 4 and declare Diablo Immortal to have been the real Di4blo all along.

I think it's a bit bold to assume development of Diablo 4 will even start.

Unless it's on mobile too.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

man it bums me out how much better the blizzard north version of d3 looked.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Aaod posted:

DDO had some platforming stuff that was really fun, but only like one or two dungeons from what I remember actually had a lot of it and they were usually more like puzzles than combat related. Kind of a shame they were actually really good dungeons from what I remember.

DDO was my favorite MMO ever, though I wish there was a newer version.. (Or a new Neverwinter Nights)

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
DAoC was my favorite, but its successor Camelot Unchained has been in development for like 5 years and they're still not done.

WAR almost had me but for the reasons everyone else had I didn't stick around long.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

DAoC was my favorite, but its successor Camelot Unchained has been in development for like 5 years and they're still not done.

WAR almost had me but for the reasons everyone else had I didn't stick around long.

i'm still mad about Warhammer. The classes were so cool/fun if they just had better design for late game and engine:\ No one learned their lesson on that game either, was so close to a hit.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
The Warhammer CE had one of the most amazing art books ever:

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Jarvisi posted:

DDO was my favorite MMO ever, though I wish there was a newer version.. (Or a new Neverwinter Nights)

That legends of Aria game might fill that NWN niche (player created persistent worlds, moderated by player GMs).

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Draynar posted:

i'm still mad about Warhammer. The classes were so cool/fun if they just had better design for late game and engine:\ No one learned their lesson on that game either, was so close to a hit.

Needed three major factions. Two became almost too balanced at times.

Mantees
Oct 24, 2008

Hammerstein posted:

drat I feel old....having experienced the Wild West era of sandbox mmos, like Ultima Online, Star Wars Galaxies, Shadowbane and others I don't think anything like this could ever be profitable again. These games were more like socio-political experiments than actual games.

Older gamers like me no longer have the attention span or spare time for such games while younger gamers seem to be kinda lost when dropped into a sandbox environment without clear goals.

People seems to forget that EVE Online exists

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Mantees posted:

Spreadsheets require different type of gamers is all.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Mantees posted:

so do game devs which is sad since fun game play using some of eve's balancing would own

The highsec>lowsec element means there are a lot of entry points to the open pvp areas so you can't just camp outside a city and club seals all day

PookBear fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 25, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Jarvisi posted:

I remember an amazing NWN PW based on lord or the rings. Was pretty awesome back those days.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
DC Universe Online when it went Free to Play was my favorite moment in MMOs because the PvP was so balanced that if you knew what you were doing you could totally kick a level 30 player's rear end even if you were level 1. Also, there would be massive brawls between heroes and villains in the PvP instance. The game encouraged you to fight each other, so getting knocked out would simply take you out of action for 10 seconds and then you'd respawn in a safe place It loving ruled.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Jarvisi posted:

Beamdog is remastering NWN like they did with BG.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Hasselblad posted:

I remember an amazing NWN PW based on lord or the rings. Was pretty awesome back those days.

I used to play in one called The Silver Marches as a highschhool teen. We were so obsessed with roleplaying back then, but we were able to play tabletop weekends only, so nwn was a perfect way to play DnD on schooldays too :P

Also Myth Drannor was a very high quality, heavily modded RP server.

Some versions of Anphillia were p. cool

Then there were the arena servers. My favorite one was called Bastions of War. Jump in at lvl 40 with a bard/palemaster/rdd reaching 100+ AC, or with a druid/shifter/dwarvendefender whose DR was off the roof and could not be damaged.... Those were the days.

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Dec 27, 2018

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Bogus Adventure posted:

DC Universe Online when it went Free to Play was my favorite moment in MMOs because the PvP was so balanced that if you knew what you were doing you could totally kick a level 30 player's rear end even if you were level 1. Also, there would be massive brawls between heroes and villains in the PvP instance. The game encouraged you to fight each other, so getting knocked out would simply take you out of action for 10 seconds and then you'd respawn in a safe place It loving ruled.

Yes DC universe was a great game by any standard. Not grindy, fun gameplay, fun multiplayer content, not p2w, engaging, great character and level design...

Very nice game, I don't even know why or how they let it die. I'm guessing it died when SoE died

Same goes for Marvel Heroes, it was a very nice diablo clone, much nicer than *any diablo clone ever created*, imo. Not sure how they managed to let it die either. Probly mobile gaming killed it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

all mmos are bad because they’re all fantasy even the scifi ones play like fantasy.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Mr. Pickles posted:

Yes DC universe was a great game by any standard. Not grindy, fun gameplay, fun multiplayer content, not p2w, engaging, great character and level design...

Very nice game, I don't even know why or how they let it die. I'm guessing it died when SoE died

Same goes for Marvel Heroes, it was a very nice diablo clone, much nicer than *any diablo clone ever created*, imo. Not sure how they managed to let it die either. Probly mobile gaming killed it.

I think it was a combo of power creep and greed that killed DCUO. The story content was fun, and the voice acting was solid. However, you'd have to keep getting better gear to do high-level raids mixed with getting feat points by for doing things in-game or collecting outfit collections. Oh, and you could buy chances to collect outfits by buying lootboxes. It ended up making it harder to play the game with anyone who didn't subscribe or spend bank because they'd get crushed in higher tier content (if they could even access it).

I was a subscriber for years, but the lootbox stuff getting combined with feat points really turned me off.

Then I found out that Daybreak may or may not have connections to a sanctioned Russian billionaire, and now I'm wondering if my credit card data is stored in some GRU file. :negative:

https://kotaku.com/one-video-game-company-has-murky-ties-to-trump-s-lawyer-1825896842

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Aaod posted:

DDO had some platforming stuff that was really fun, but only like one or two dungeons from what I remember actually had a lot of it and they were usually more like puzzles than combat related. Kind of a shame they were actually really good dungeons from what I remember.

My favorite dungeons tend to be either the ones with neat objectives like the assassination mission from the F2P prelude to Attack on Stormreach and the final mission of Shadowfell Conspiracy's Wheloon Prison story arc or dungeons adapted from really old modules like Elemental Evil and Haunted Halls.

Their yearly sale of the older expansions is happening right now and I'd recommend anyone with a passing interest in the old game go pick up Shadowfell Conspiracy on the cheap, it's some of the devs' best work.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Mantees posted:

On a day to day, small level it might be similar, but EVE's biggest strength and biggest failing is that to do actual endgame content you have to have a constant stream of motivated people that will work for the good of the corporation. You can't just go and do what you want, you gotta show up and sign up.

"Technically you could" yes technically, but unless you love grinding your balls off on mining or ratting you are going to have a bad time compared to the more freeform systems of Galaxies, etc

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

wdarkk posted:

Beamdog is remastering NWN like they did with BG.

it looks like they already did it??

https://store.steampowered.com/app/704450/Neverwinter_Nights_Enhanced_Edition/

unless it's something else you're referring to. it's $6 currently. it looks like they even rebuilt the multiplayer component.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Tsurupettan posted:

it looks like they already did it??

https://store.steampowered.com/app/704450/Neverwinter_Nights_Enhanced_Edition/

unless it's something else you're referring to. it's $6 currently. it looks like they even rebuilt the multiplayer component.

Ah nice, thought it was still in early access.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I kind of get the feeling that peoples concept of "the perfect mmo" is based on whatever they where playing at some point in the past that they hold up as some sort of pinacle of fun

And its rarely got anything to do with the game being any good.

The most fun I ever had in a game, by a long margin was Eve online in 2006ish. Goonfleet bottled up in a corner of the galaxy, completely staffed with newbies in the cheapest ships in the game and losing more fights than we'd win. We had like one character with a capital ship , and only a handful of us in battleships. And because of that we had a tonne of fun, and the fights we did win felt epic. We where drunk 100% of the time, and delighted in pissing off the entire universe.

Note how none of this is about whether the game was actually any good? Because in retrospect it was a terrible game. It was engineered from the ground up for massive fleet battles and would grind into lag if your fleet had more than 20-30 ships (its gotten a *lot* better in that respect) , its T2 crafting system was rigged as gently caress, its uI was utterly impeneterable, its skill system was completely focused on making you wait long periods of time to fly anything worth poo poo (although we improvised) , it was just a bad game. But I fell in with a crew I loved , went on all sorts of bonkers adventures with them and had the time of my life.

So that lovely broken hosed up game was my ultimate MMO. And would I play another game like it? gently caress no.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I'm waiting for full dive VR to exist so I can abandon my frail human body and live out the rest of my life online loving elves

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

man it bums me out how much better the blizzard north version of d3 looked.

Awhile back when I was playing D3, I remembered that pre-release brouhaha where some people were complaining about the visuals being way too bright and friendly. At the time I laughed at them like everyone else but actually, no, they were totally right. Somewhere in the shift from pre-rendered sprites to actual 3D models they lost all of the character and grit the first 2 games had. The graphics ended up slick but boring and generic. It's kind of like the difference between 90s MTG and current MTG.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I liked when blizzard would ban people for using graphic mods in their coop game.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Siegkrow posted:

I'm waiting for full dive VR to exist so I can abandon my frail human body and live out the rest of my life online loving elves

FFXIV but less annoying grinding and broken, unnecessarily restrictive glamours and invisible walls and also this

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not sure what I want at this point. I've been playing MMO's off and on for 15 years now, since I was 15 myself, that's like, half my life. WoW has always been my biggest fix, and I enjoy it on a regular basis, usually at xpac launch (tho I dodged this one), and I even got AOTC Argus on Legion this time around, so I was pretty "into it".

I feel pulled in different directions. Forever, I wanted the sandbox MMO. I wanted the game Star Wars Galaxies was supposed to be. You're just some guy in a "living" world/galaxy and you Do poo poo. You hustle minerals, or craft, or adventure, or w/e, and feel like you have a place in and contribute to a dynamic world. I'm just kind of "over" the theme park MMO experience offered by like WoW, and FFXIV. I'm tired of dumping huge amounts of time into the game and not seeing anything change except for minor things about my own character.

Between fits of WoW and trying other MMOs (Warhammer, Guild Wars II, Black Desert Online, Albion, RIFT, Everquest 2, Vanguard, and on and on and on) I had a great time with Minecraft during its beta, and then a really powerful love affair with RUST. This was as survival games were coming in vogue.

I think what I'd like to see next is a hybrid of persistent world MMO with resources/tasks/NPC factions and survival/base building. Key word being "persistent". This would allow you to play a character that matters in a long term with a huge arc and impact on the game, without the resetting weekly session aspect of titles like RUST, Conan and ARK. There would need to be some tweaking done to the concepts of everything to make them fit together, but it could be a really potent blend of gameplay hooks. What I'm picturing is daily guild life. You're like, a knight, or a man at arms in a company of mercenaries. You help gather resources to outfit the crew, you manage wagons or a camp, you engage in skirmishes or hunt or adventure. An NPC faction or a player faction can hire you for a battle and you go to some massive raid or PVP type fuckery. The biggest draw would be getting in with a crew and socializing/doing poo poo together. Reward numbers up to a point (3 dudes taking down a big assed bear or something).

One of the issues would be building and allowing the landscape to be altered. If you've ever played a game like ARK or RUST you know what a server looks like after a week, there's bases everywhere. So I'm not sure how to handle it. Maybe some type of title or deed system that lets you petition an NPC lord or even a player who owns land for a parcel you can free build on if your company of knights has enough clout or gold. I dunno.

Also I like the idea of regular world resets, with perhaps some persistent rewards for outfits that contributed a lot to the last game session. Maybe every 3 months, or 6, there's a cataclysmic end battle. It'd be neat to see the same companies return and build themselves up again during the next server cycle, have rivalries, tactics for expansion, etc.

I want the moon, I want the freetime I had when I was 15 to play for 10 hours in a row lol.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Whoops!

What actually ended up happening was that Fallout 76 was a gigantic disaster that all reports indicate sold less than 1 million copies. I couldn't have been more wrong. :v: but I also couldn't have anticipated Bethesda loving this up so badly either.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Whoops!

What actually ended up happening was that Fallout 76 was a gigantic disaster that all reports indicate sold less than 1 million copies. I couldn't have been more wrong. :v: but I also couldn't have anticipated Bethesda loving this up so badly either.

I was catching up on this thread from WAY back and saw that, made me laugh.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

ShriekingMarxist posted:

I want the moon, I want the freetime I had when I was 15 to play for 10 hours in a row lol.

It's a common refrain because I think developers are realizing that the hours of raiding to only have the chance of getting an upgrade are not a viable strategy for keeping people long-term. Some sort of progression, be it a cosmetic, an account-wide bonus or something else should all be achievable in a realistic amount of playing time. Think Fortnite, Rocket League, even Battlefield let you gain some progression with a small amount of playtime (1 round, 1 game, etc).

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Asheron's Call was the best pvp I ever played. Both on darktide (pvp) and frostfell (flagged pvp). The fact that access to certain cities was important for different reasons and a portal network created a few bottlenecks that were important to hold in pvp created a great emergent political pvp system. The patron system was great for PvP and since you couldn't build anything the only way to hold territory was to physically park your character there and kill anybody that came around. Which meant all town's resources could be accessed with a successful raid on whoever was holding it at anytime and all the back and forth was very engaging. Plus I have a special place in my heart for slide casting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Asherons Call was great, I wish that game didn't have to shut down. Apparently the only thing that actually killed it was that it was using licensed software to run it's servers and it cost something like $10,000 a year. If Turbine had their own server software for the game then it would still be alive.