Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I was just poking fun at the fact that two of the warning signs are taking tons of Ubers, but also walking everywhere.
oh duh lol
I'm gonna blame the weed on this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Puppy Time posted:

She looks fine, though?

Not really. I mean obviously there’s a lot going into it - runway photography, the stylists, the makeup, the hair. She just looks so dull.

This is a much more flattering picture of “lady tall” and it’s a street style candid: https://pin.it/l7kprc5alvq5lh

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Is it normal to let children use uber.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I wanna talk about Potterheads again

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

To explain further for fellow Americans, apparently "Jez" is a nickname for "Jeremy" in the UK, because the UK doesn't understand abbreviating.

Seriously, someone justify "Crimbo" to me.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Sedge and Bee posted:

Honestly if not for the Marvel movies and being a liberal she'd seem all right, presuming she's a teen and not like 30+.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I’m an INTJ asexual Virgo slytherin, destroyer of worlds.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

felch me daddy jr. posted:

Honestly if not for the Marvel movies and being a liberal she'd seem all right, presuming she's a teen and not like 30+.

Any person I have ever met who leads with Myers Briggs is terrible.

Beelzebufo has a new favorite as of 09:25 on Dec 23, 2018

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Sedge and Bee posted:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Hufferin huckatash!

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

isnt there some comic of someone going 'uuuuuugggggghhhhhh' while walking out of a room?

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Sedge and Bee posted:

Any person I have ever met who leads with Myers Briggs is terrible.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone lead with their Myers-Briggs before who wasn't an INTJ, aka the sociopath genius archetype, so I'm not sure where I fall on this. Like obviously it's just astrology for nerds, but when you're a teenager trying to figure out your identity, you do tend to lean on this poo poo as well as media fandom, so I find it hard to get too judgmental about it. :shrug:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

felch me daddy jr. posted:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone lead with their Myers-Briggs before who wasn't an INTJ, aka the sociopath genius archetype, so I'm not sure where I fall on this. Like obviously it's just astrology for nerds, but when you're a teenager trying to figure out your identity, you do tend to lean on this poo poo as well as media fandom, so I find it hard to get too judgmental about it. :shrug:

I have no problem being judgmental towards dumb teenagers

also they should get off my lawn

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Knormal posted:

To explain further for fellow Americans, apparently "Jez" is a nickname for "Jeremy" in the UK, because the UK doesn't understand abbreviating.

Seriously, someone justify "Crimbo" to me.

I certainly can't, but that's because the proper abbreviation is "Chimblis".

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ha! Like to see goons Landerig this one :smuggo:

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

isnt there some comic of someone going 'uuuuuugggggghhhhhh' while walking out of a room?

There's about 3 episodes worth of footage of that in Regular Show.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

edited for content

https://twitter.com/abigbagofkeys/status/1076756377383522304

Memento has a new favorite as of 10:38 on Dec 23, 2018

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

gently caress it, I'm goin' in. I could take 2024, I can take this.

Best way to take a swing at this is to break it into individual pieces and see if we can glean any meaning out of it.

"Left wing people want to homogenize and depersonalize people for some warped greater good"
- Notch doesn't like being put in the same box as the evil rich.

"and eroding the stereotypical foundation as represented in classical media and power structures"
- Notch is here bemoaning that lefties criticise what is usually referred to in the literature as The Patriarchy.

"Is a direct way to undermine existing cultural resistance against traditional values"
- Notch is here complaining that this criticism works against attempts to be progressive by-

oh I got it

Notch is saying "Don't criticise people who massively benefit from existing power structures as if they're all part of the same group, because maybe they're being progressive in secret and they'll stop out of spite."

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Some lovely local band got rightfully called out for being a bunch of pricks, and are having a right sob over it in their breakup post. I’ve seen the posts the guy has made, and he’s a right prick.

quote:

It is with a heavy heart that we have decided to announce the end of Tumblr Girls. After consultation with the venue and promoter we agreed we would pull out of Friday’s show after constant harassment against the venue + ourselves from far left agitators and Cardiff Feminist Network.

We have never been a “Nazi band” and neither of us are “Nazis” in our personal life either (regardless of what has repeatedly been said about us or shown as “proof”). The problem is, we are not left wing and are very outspoken against pc culture-both online and off-and this has painted a target on our backs for people to air personal grievances, who then use these grudges as a reason to shut our shows down (as well as posting some very slanderous statements about the band members).

Make no bones about it,this is bullying and no platforming plain and simple. These groups and individuals operate as a pack and dog pile any venue that wants to put us on,or threatens to no platform any band that plays with us. Calling up a venue and saying you are scared there will be “Nazi salutes”? Grow the gently caress up you utter wet wipe!

We created this band as both an outlet for our weird creative side and as a push back against the boring,stagnant and pc music scene that has begun to infect South Wales and the U.K. as a whole. I guess it will just continue to be an echo chamber where everyone thinks the same, never questions anything and is scared to speak out or "stray" from the far left dogma. Sad.

Thanks to anyone who saw us live and enjoyed it or bought some music. It was appreciated :)

Congratulations-you’ve proved us right you cretins.

RIP

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

EL BROMANCE posted:

Some lovely local band got rightfully called out for being a bunch of pricks, and are having a right sob over it in their breakup post. I’ve seen the posts the guy has made, and he’s a right prick.

They aren't a Nazi band because the local skinheads just gave them wedgies when they tried to sign up.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

Even so, what is her actual point? Who is she arguing with? Is someone saying that tall women don't exist?

I’ve not read any of her posts other than the one quoted in this thread, so this could be a million miles from right, but it reads to me like she’s sarcastically airing a typical TERF :biotruths: argument. TERFs like to claim that they “always know” who is trans and who isn’t, based on just looking at them and deciding that they have “male” characteristics, like “being tall”. The fact that a tall woman exists would suggest that TERFs are full of poo poo.

My guess is that the “being short” part of the tweet would be a nod towards a TERF argument that while this woman is tall (a male characteristic) she’s still a cis-woman because she has the mystical female essence of being short, which is innate to all cis-women and therefore something that trans-women can never have which obviously makes them tall men in dresses*. More people would see this if they hadn’t been brainwashed by the PC police to accept that there’s no such thing as magical innate cis-shortness.

Yes, it’s incredibly dumb and reductive. But we are talking about TERFs.

*just to be absolutely clear, this is 100% not what I think, it’s what the TERFs think.

Cultural Marxist has a new favorite as of 12:17 on Dec 23, 2018

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Am I the only person who saw this reply where the metaphor is failry clearly explained?

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

SiKboy posted:

Am I the only person who saw this reply where the metaphor is failry clearly explained?

Still not a clue.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Imagine if Notch had died back at Mojang (but before the later phase where he instinctively started avoiding Minecraft and Minecraft development to focus on anything but Minecraft to prove that he was a game developer genius and that Minecraft wasn't a fluke) He would have turned into Indie Jesus and been revered for decades.

Now we get to watch him do the Howard Hughes speed run that's probably going to see him through multiple trophy wives, a stomach staple to turn him into basically a fedora wearing Edward Furlong with a fat head.

He 100% will make multiple attempts to return to game development and they will be cringy as gently caress as nazis begin to fawn over him and the games he will inevitably support/buy and release.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'll never forgive the universe for making Notch ultra rich and famous, while the other guy who worked on Wurm Online, Rolf, is still fairly obscure and is a genuinely nice dude :smith: also Wurm is better than Minecraft and looks gorgeous now that Notch's contributions have been systematically replaced by a team of people that arent talentless hacks.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Katt posted:

Imagine if Notch had died back at Mojang (but before the later phase where he instinctively started avoiding Minecraft and Minecraft development to focus on anything but Minecraft to prove that he was a game developer genius and that Minecraft wasn't a fluke) He would have turned into Indie Jesus and been revered for decades.

Now we get to watch him do the Howard Hughes speed run that's probably going to see him through multiple trophy wives, a stomach staple to turn him into basically a fedora wearing Edward Furlong with a fat head.

He 100% will make multiple attempts to return to game development and they will be cringy as gently caress as nazis begin to fawn over him and the games he will inevitably support/buy and release.

Notch will never score a trophy wife dude. That cheevo will forever be beyond him.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Danaru posted:

I'll never forgive the universe for making Notch ultra rich and famous, while the other guy who worked on Wurm Online, Rolf, is still fairly obscure and is a genuinely nice dude :smith: also Wurm is better than Minecraft and looks gorgeous now that Notch's contributions have been systematically replaced by a team of people that arent talentless hacks.

It wasn’t that he got rich, lots of fuckshits get rich, it’s that Microsoft decided to throw multiple billions at him. Billions. For a Java game where you place a limited choice of blocks in a badly optimised randomly generated map. Did they make the same mistake random idiots on the internet do and think notch owned the concept of ‘world made of meter squared blocks’? They could have just ripped the idea off. In a brand new engine. In about a week. Billions!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Biplane posted:

Notch will never score a trophy wife dude. That cheevo will forever be beyond him.

Yeah, like 60% of the reason Notch is this way is that he totally bought into the "women only like guys that have wealth and means" poo poo, and then he became a person with immense wealth and means, and it turned out not to be true, and he never reconciled with that mentally because he's an idiot.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

It wasn’t that he got rich, lots of fuckshits get rich, it’s that Microsoft decided to throw multiple billions at him. Billions. For a Java game where you place a limited choice of blocks in a badly optimised randomly generated map. Did they make the same mistake random idiots on the internet do and think notch owned the concept of ‘world made of meter squared blocks’? They could have just ripped the idea off. In a brand new engine. In about a week. Billions!

They bought the name and brand recognition.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Isn't he friendless as well? If his wealth can't buy people to come over and hang out in his mansion there's a problem and it isn't with everyone else.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Regarde Aduck posted:

They paid billions for the brand, not the actual game. There's a poo poo ton of Minecraft knock-offs already and none of them have a fraction of the market share. I went Christmas shopping for my nephew the other day at a bookstore and there were about as many books about Minecraft as there were about dinosaurs in the children's section.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Len posted:

Isn't he friendless as well? If his wealth can't buy people to come over and hang out in his mansion there's a problem and it isn't with everyone else.

Yeah, I swear I remember that he had an issue with spending his money throwing parties to try and be social and it just never worked because he’s a terrible person. And rather than work on himself to become someone that others like, he’s radicalizing.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/leslieleeiii/status/1076550586676494339

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, I swear I remember that he had an issue with spending his money throwing parties to try and be social and it just never worked because he’s a terrible person. And rather than work on himself to become someone that others like, he’s radicalizing.

I think part of his problem may have been him deciding to just show up in Beverly Hills with his ridiclous amount of money and start throwing parties at his lovely mansion. There's plenty of parties thrown by rich people to choose from in LA, and the folks who chase money are most likely to choose someone in the film industry who might get them in the business. Some weird dude who used to be a game designer and now does literally nothing but go on reddit isn't really a huge draw.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Somfin posted:

gently caress it, I'm goin' in. I could take 2024, I can take this.

Best way to take a swing at this is to break it into individual pieces and see if we can glean any meaning out of it.

"Left wing people want to homogenize and depersonalize people for some warped greater good"
- Notch doesn't like being put in the same box as the evil rich.

"and eroding the stereotypical foundation as represented in classical media and power structures"
- Notch is here bemoaning that lefties criticise what is usually referred to in the literature as The Patriarchy.

"Is a direct way to undermine existing cultural resistance against traditional values"
- Notch is here complaining that this criticism works against attempts to be progressive by-

oh I got it

Notch is saying "Don't criticise people who massively benefit from existing power structures as if they're all part of the same group, because maybe they're being progressive in secret and they'll stop out of spite."

Nah, you're thinking too individual on Notch. It's pretty clearly a badly-phrased version of the usual bullshit about "Human Biodiversity" and how if we don't stereotype everyone then we're allowing the savages to take over and rape our women or whatever.

I just looked up the context and, surprise surprise, he's talking about IQ and the Jews!

https://twitter.com/notch/status/1070772596898115584
https://twitter.com/notch/status/1071494897608273920

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I've read this a few places, is he not saying he loves the difference in definitions across time? Like it used to mean this but now it means this sort of thing. I can't really see him meaning anything else unless you cut off the second half of the quote.

Kinda like how the punishment for being naughty was to have your eyes put out because it was a truly horrendous thing to be.

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably

Len posted:

He publicly turned down an offer to blaze with Snoop Dogg lmao

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Aramoro posted:

I've read this a few places, is he not saying he loves the difference in definitions across time? Like it used to mean this but now it means this sort of thing. I can't really see him meaning anything else unless you cut off the second half of the quote.

Kinda like how the punishment for being naughty was to have your eyes put out because it was a truly horrendous thing to be.

Much like the context of the word itself has shifted, Joss Whedon saying he loves the word nubile is a different thing, and offers a different context, than if another person had tweeted it.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
https://twitter.com/fart/status/1076727147861962757

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Aramoro posted:

The "young and sexual" definition is far creepier than "of marriage age". It's an excellent example of a """male feminist""" disguising his predatory attitudes in a woke veneer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

MizPiz posted:

The "young and sexual" definition is far creepier than "of marriage age". It's an excellent example of a """male feminist""" disguising his predatory attitudes in a woke veneer.

What? That's literally what he's saying. The transition of the meaning of the word is really creepy. Like I've not checked the book as to why we're supposed to hate Joss Weadon today but that is a hell of a reach. Maybe if he said nubile meant really sexy feet or something.

Maybe you can help though, I was talking to my wife and we remembered we were supposed to hate E. O. Wilson but we can't remember why.

Aramoro has a new favorite as of 19:08 on Dec 23, 2018