Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Who is this guy? Is he somewhat sane like Mattis or is he a clone of LeMay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Party Plane Jones posted:

and lastly (there is audio to this so enable it)
https://i.imgur.com/qAgJMbK.mp4

Happy Holidays folks (donate in the D&D charity thread for gang tags!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ChdxP6pv8k :bird:

Fallom posted:

All my retirement earnings were wiped out and I'm starting to lose my direct contributions, too

They can't lie about the economy anymore

I've been through this a few times now, starting with the dotcom bubble. I put money into retirement vehicles as an experiment. Like Social Security I don't expect any of it to be worth anything if I manage to get old enough to access it.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Feldegast42 posted:

He's a business guy from Boeing, which is probably a good thing because he can probably convince Trump there's no money to make after a global thermonuclear exchange.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Well if Mattis was gambling that the pressure could get Trump to change his mind over the 2 months before he left I guess he lost. But on the other hand this early termination will just make the backlash against Trump worse since now it’s a straight up firing.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
So basically every day from now to new years will be a one up of the last in sheer pisspants tantrums.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Zophar posted:

He's a business guy from Boeing, which is probably a good thing because he can probably convince Trump there's no money to make after a global thermonuclear exchange.

Countdown to Boeing becoming Vault-Tec.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Fox News is qualitatively different from other corporate media in that its aims are ideological. Corporate media may indirectly or directly reify or defend fox, but it is an entity of a different sort and a threat of a different scale. See also the Koch brothers. Totalizing statements about the world order or capitalism aside, these are the cases and forms of conservative political organization that are the causal source of the current situation, and are the gordian knot that must be addressed.

Kavros posted:

Nathan Robinson wrote the absolutely most disgustingly complete, thoroughly encapsulating incineration of jordan peterson and everything about his popular appeal. i'm glad he's moving from target to target and frying shapiro like an ant under a magnifying glass.

Lightning Knight posted:

His best is still the Charles Murray take down, it's hilarious.

Please link these.

Sweeper posted:

Lol worthless fucks

He's lying. Stop falling for it.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 23, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Feldegast42 posted:

he is a loving boeing stooge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_M._Shanahan

VP of alot of Boeing success

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Telsa Cola posted:

Countdown to Boeing becoming Vault-Tec.

I have been really waiting for the merger of the trump and fallout 76 threads because someone posting "I love the pip boy" every page always felt like it'd really fit in here.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Feldegast42 posted:

https://twitter.com/NPRinskeep/status/1076885858110853120

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Well for what it’s worth the military is now back under civilian control then.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Lol Trump is so loving dumb
https://twitter.com/MarkHarrisNYC/status/1076885710580473857?s=20

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/23/us/politics/trump-mattis.html posted:

When Mr. Trump first announced that Mr. Mattis was leaving, effective Feb. 28, he praised the defense secretary on Twitter. One aide said that though Mr. Trump already had the resignation letter when he praised Mr. Mattis, he did not understand just how forceful a rejection of his strategy Mr. Mattis had issued.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

he is a loving boeing stooge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_M._Shanahan

VP of alot of Boeing success

I bet graham had a lot of say in this.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Literally everyone in the world saw that coming.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
How long is an Acting Secretary allowed to serve? Is there anything actually legally requiring him to get his choices confirmed by the Senate or is that another part of the Constitution we never bothered to test until now

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm sure there's a political metaphor to be found in this footage:

https://twitter.com/Naturanotitia/status/1076402736130859008

that's *my* dinner, bitch.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

I bet graham had a lot of say in this.

iirc he was confirmed 97-2.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Unoriginal Name posted:

How long is an Acting Secretary allowed to serve? Is there anything actually legally requiring him to get his choices confirmed by the Senate or is that another part of the Constitution we never bothered to test until now

I bet we’re going to discover that not allowing an “Acting” SoD to just serve indefinitely is yet another respected norm and not an actual law.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Unoriginal Name posted:

210 days, because of the federal vacancies act.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Kavros posted:

In a historically regrettable sense, the picture which most perfectly encapsulates the cation "soon"

Donald went home in a rage and probably immediately started plans to sell out the entire country as payback for being made the butt of a joke LOL.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

lmao that letter was as blatant a "gently caress You" as it could be without just writing it out.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

love that he is burning the bridge with the war nerds even more now. lol

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Steve Inskeep linked to this story from 2014 on Twitter which I hadn't seen before. It's quite interesting.

https://apps.npr.org/borderland/#_

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Eh, I would rather take him than some bloodthirsty general, or my worst fear -- someone ideologically fash like Eric Prince who would sic the military on protesters

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

double nine posted:

I'm sure there's a political metaphor to be found in this footage:

https://twitter.com/Naturanotitia/status/1076402736130859008

that's *my* dinner, bitch.

Lol that description did not do the footage justice

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Feldegast42 posted:

Eh, I would rather take him than some bloodthirsty general, or my worst fear -- someone ideologically fash like Eric Prince who would sic the military on protesters

Forever war is good business for Boeing

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

YOU CAN'T QUIT, YOU'RE FIRED!

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Isn’t Brett McGurk the name of the coach from Home Movies? Someone tell infowars.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
We should just start referring to Trump himself as "acting" President of the US. With his 17 some investigations, it would drive him nuts.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

This has to be the first time a shutdown happened when the President and both Congressional majorities were all the same party, does it not?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Zwabu posted:

This has to be the first time a shutdown happened when the President and both Congressional majorities were all the same party, does it not?

Last January.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Unoriginal Name posted:

Deputy Sec Def is Senate approved. It's a legal transition.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Phoix posted:

Trump finally read the letter

edit: what the gently caress beaten by twitter replies

Actually he read the letter earlier. What just changed is that the letter's meaning was explained to him.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/JRBoh/status/1076887271259934723

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

This has been the third government shutdown this year.

Just... just pointing that out.

Macaroni Surprise
Nov 13, 2012
Def sec has to be voted in by the senate, correct? And he wants this to happen in.... How many days are they open between now and the 3rd?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Macaroni Surprise posted:

Def sec has to be voted in by the senate, correct? And he wants this to happen in.... How many days are they open between now and the 3rd?
The acting secretary of defense can serve for 120 days, so Shanahan can serve until the end of March/beginning of April. Confirmations only need the Senate, so it shouldn't be too hotly contested unless the warhawks decide to stand firm and the Democrats cooperate.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I am pleased to announce that our very talented Deputy Secretary of Defense, Patrick Shanahan, WHO I DON'T KNOW AND HAVE NEVER MET, will assume the title of Acting Secretary of Defense starting January 1, 2019. Patrick has a long list of accomplishments while serving as Deputy, & previously Boeing. He will be great!

Lightning Knight posted:

iirc it wasn't the next night, the Bin Laden raid was happening as they were owning Trump at the WHCD. It's moderately impressive Trump was able to recover from such a powerful, public own to still become president tbqh.

The announcement that Osama had been killed interrupted the Apprentice.

Your Taint posted:

He looks like he's trying so hard not to cry.

I can't imagine Trump crying. Doesn't have the emotional depth.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

We should just start referring to Trump himself as "acting" President of the US. With his 17 some investigations, it would drive him nuts.

This drove John Tyler insane.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Tyler also refused to engage with all business directed to the “acting President”, so we should absolutely do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Did Fox News cover the Mattis resignation letter at all?