Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

im on the net me boys posted:

Could anyone in this thread repost the weirdly racist Perry Bible Fellowship comic from earlier this year? The artist deleted it and I can't figure out how far back it was posted in the thread.

Do you mean the one with Slur, the "problematic" superhero, or are you thinking of a different one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

im on the net me boys posted:

Could anyone in this thread repost the weirdly racist Perry Bible Fellowship comic from earlier this year? The artist deleted it and I can't figure out how far back it was posted in the thread.

This one?

http://pbfcomics.com/comics/the-offenders/

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
No it wasn't that one, I can't find it but all I can recall is it kinda seemed like something he didn't fully think through the implications of. And after people were like "UMMMMM" he deleted it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's this one.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Hadn't even known of that one. Oof.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
guest written by tinsley

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's just a Scorpion and the Frog variant.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Garrison posted:

When Ann Coulter pitched her fit about the lack of progress made toward building a wall on our southern border, I understood her frustration because I felt the same way.

Two years have elapsed and we still have open borders for the most part, despite the wall being THE cornerstone promise of Trump’s campaign. When the President caught wind of Ann’s tirade against him, he promptly unfollowed her on Twitter. Now we see that he really is doing his best to fund the wall and he’s willing to let the government shut down to get it.

I know Ann is very smart and she must realize that the president is not Santa Claus. He can’t give us the gift of a wall by magic. It takes bi-partisan cooperation in Congress, where spending bills are considered. Corrupt politicians such as Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi aren’t about to cooperate, though. Their Trump Derangement Syndrome has rendered them irrational.

At this time of year we should take measure of how much we have instead of how much we lack. Yes, we still lack the wall, but Trump has delivered a bounty to America and we should be grateful for that. For a man without political experience, what he has done thus far is a Christmas miracle of sorts.

We should be grateful he was elected instead of crooked Hillary. I’m against war—especially our seemingly never-ending ones and I’m very grateful he plans on finally withdrawing our troops from the useless, senseless wars in the Middle East and in Afghanistan. They are only useful to the military industrial complex and the globalist bankers.

I’m grateful that he’s standing up to the Federal Reserve, which seems bent on destroying the economy that Trump is beginning to help restore. I’m grateful that he’s standing up the Deep State Swamp and attempting to drain it. It all takes time, but I’m grateful we finally have a nationalist president who is doing his best to help provide prosperity and protection to American citizens. Too many previous presidents were globalists who did their best to destroy our country. They did not put America first. They New World Order interests first. Yes, this includes both Skull and Bones Bush presidents, who were war criminals.

It may take time, but I believe President Trump will start building the wall, even if he has to assign our own military to see to its construction. After all, it’s a matter of national security. Ann Coulter may be tugging on Santa’s beard now out of frustration, but I think she will come around. Trump is a gift to this nation.

A very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours! #StayTooned!

—Ben Garrison

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Zesty posted:

It's this one.

This is kinda meh as far as quasi offensive comics go, the parody of the Defenders was worse imo.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's just a Scorpion and the Frog variant.

Yeah, but I've always found that story pretty awful.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

This is kinda meh as far as quasi offensive comics go, the parody of the Defenders was worse imo.

It's literally about an alligator. He doesn't do political cartoons. He's not a secret Nazi (AFAIK).

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Lightning Knight posted:

Obviously I can't say what my reaction to it would have been if I wasn't aware of how shitheads operate online but the alligator one was much worse in my eyes because it's literally just a neo-nazi talking point. I'd like to hope it wasn't intended as such but "dangerous minorities won't spare the foolish liberals who defended them against racism legitimate concerns" is something you see a lot of from facebook racists.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It's literally about an alligator. He doesn't do political cartoons. He's not a secret Nazi (AFAIK).

Death of the Author. You may know the PBF author isn't a secret Nazi, but Stonetoss could share this exact comic and mean it that way. Hell, Tinsley has literally done this exact joke about dinosaurs a hundred time.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 36 minutes!

Lightning Knight posted:

Honestly it probably only parses to me as a racist allegory because Tinsley has made literally that same comic unironically as a racist allegory like ten times

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

But the thrust of the joke is “actually stereotypes are true” which is not great even if you intended on being read at face value.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Pilchenstein posted:

Obviously I can't say what my reaction to it would have been if I wasn't aware of how shitheads operate online but the alligator one was much worse in my eyes because it's literally just a neo-nazi talking point. I'd like to hope it wasn't intended as such but "dangerous minorities won't spare the foolish liberals who defended them against racism legitimate concerns" is something you see a lot of from facebook racists.

Oh I didn’t know that was an actual talking point rip. My eyes glaze over when I see Tinsley half the time tbh.

At least the author took it down and thus presumably heard it wasn’t ok.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The Offenders one is still up and terrible.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Jurgan posted:

Death of the Author. You may know the PBF author isn't a secret Nazi, but Stonetoss could share this exact comic and mean it that way. Hell, Tinsley has literally done this exact joke about dinosaurs a hundred time.

It could be read has having two opposite meanings.

1) Anthropomorphic animals are a poor metaphor for diversity and stereotyping, because unlike with human races animals actually do have very significant biological and behavioral differences.

2) Human races actually do have significant biological and behavioral differences, and therefore anthropomorphic animals are a good metaphor for diversity and stereotyping.

One rejects the practice of using wildly different animals as analogues for human ethnicity, the other accepts it but turns the moral lesson on its head. I don't imagine the PBF author spends their life immersed in far-right rhetoric so they probably meant the former, stonetoss would mean the latter

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Pants Donkey posted:

The Offenders one is still up and terrible.

Yeah that one is honestly terrible.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Troops coming home, in a box.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Fallen Hamprince posted:

It could be read has having two opposite meanings.

1) Anthropomorphic animals are a poor metaphor for diversity and stereotyping, because unlike with human races animals actually do have very significant biological and behavioral differences.

2) Human races actually do have significant biological and behavioral differences, and therefore anthropomorphic animals are a good metaphor for diversity and stereotyping.

One rejects the practice of using wildly different animals as analogues for human ethnicity, the other accepts it but turns the moral lesson on its head. I don't imagine the PBF author spends their life immersed in far-right rhetoric so they probably meant the former, stonetoss would mean the latter

Or the third option: no metaphor, it’s just funny to subvert expectations in a fairly predictable way.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

BonHair posted:

Or the third option: no metaphor, it’s just funny to subvert expectations in a fairly predictable way.

Yeah I doubt it’s meant to have any real meaning, PBF is a Rorschach test in many ways. That said, they did a better version of that joke already with the T. rex teacher eating his student for misbehaving.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Pants Donkey posted:

But the thrust of the joke is “actually stereotypes are true” which is not great even if you intended on being read at face value.

Sometimes a joke really is just a joke. Though this is the politoons thread so I guess we're not used to that.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
I can't see a date on it but the Offenders comic, as I recall, came from around 2013, I think? Back when "problematic" was first gaining ground and making fun of "SJWs" was just kind of the cool thing to do amongst internet funnymen. It's weird to remember a time when people who weren't Actual Nazis made those jokes, but Gamergate hadn't happened yet and those lines hadn't really been drawn.

The comic is bad, definitely, but weird as it is to say about something so recent, it's from a different time, whereas the alligator comic was something the PBF guy really should have known better about by now.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

SwimmingSpider posted:

the alligator comic was something the PBF guy really should have known better about by now.

... which is why he took the sumbitch down when people told him the bad reading.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

quote:

When the President caught wind of Ann’s tirade against him, he promptly unfollowed her on Twitter. Now we see that he really is doing his best to fund the wall and he’s willing to let the government shut down to get it. 

How do you write this and not realize we have a huge baby as a president?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Isn't NPC coming in vogue as a slur against liberals in right-wing circles? I thought I remembered reading something about that in one of the DnD threads, something about how "you can't convince them of anything, they just spout the same lines no matter what"

which of course is projection as usual

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Which is why Adams is a right wing hack.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Evilreaver posted:

Isn't NPC coming in vogue as a slur against liberals in right-wing circles? I thought I remembered reading something about that in one of the DnD threads, something about how "you can't convince them of anything, they just spout the same lines no matter what"

https://twitter.com/scottadamssays/status/1053297117584740353
https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/1053854238177079297

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Evilreaver posted:

It’s literally a Nazi term used against people to classify them as non-people who can be disregarded as human beings for not thinking like a Nazi. Other threads following alt-right online cess pits have posted threads before about Nazi’s contemplating if committing crimes against “NPCs” should even be illegal since they aren’t real people or if they even have souls. So fun times that Dilbert is running this poo poo in Sunday comics

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

Yep.

Somfin posted:

... which is why he took the sumbitch down when people told him the bad reading.

Yeah, that makes me forgive it. It's easy to accidentally imply the wrong thing, and if you take the initiative to fix it then it's hard to be mad. I imagine he was worried about his work going the way of Pepe and seeing his work shared by right-wing shitheads he hates.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Manuel Calavera posted:

Which is why Adams is a right wing hack.

He's worse than that, he's a techbro for probably the most VC-bait bullshit I've ever seen in my life.

Ever thought, y'know what, teaching and training should be part of the gig economy- but while we're disrupting that industry, we should throw in blockchain and roll our own proprietary version of bitcoin? Explicitly to get around taxation?

Now there's an app for it! I'm not gonna link it, but it's the thing listed in Adams' bio.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

:discourse:

I just realized that the blue-haired character in the "Offenders" comic is probably meant to be transgender, given the symbol on their chest.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Cat Mattress posted:

That's because the PHB gradually became the protagonist and author-insert, replacing Dilbert as the star of the strip.
The worst thing is this isn't even an exaggeration to make a point. It's literally what happened. I like to think Early Adams would strangle Modern Adams over this poo poo, before he totally lost his way, but maybe that poo poo was always inside him and I just never noticed when I was younger.
The lame sexism jokes always stood out though.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Boy, that "economic growth" package looks kinda crummy, huh

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Somfin posted:

Yeah, the more important story here is that the reemergence of fascism made jokes that were mediocre at the time into something objectionable. It's a terrible take to say that the PBF guy is bad now because he didn't think enough like a Nazi to anticipate how a future Nazi would read his comic. "Fascists look for converts, leftists look for traitors" etc. etc. I hate our historical moment.

(Granting that the Defenders one was probably ill-advised at the time.)

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

D.N. Nation posted:

Boy, that "economic growth" package looks kinda crummy, huh

And putting SCOTUS on a present to an ungrateful base is, uh

Peeling back the sheep's clothing a tad

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

The worst thing is this isn't even an exaggeration to make a point. It's literally what happened. I like to think Early Adams would strangle Modern Adams over this poo poo, before he totally lost his way, but maybe that poo poo was always inside him and I just never noticed when I was younger.
The lame sexism jokes always stood out though.
There were a bunch of branches of humour that in retrospect were huge tells, like the sexism, everything about Elbonia, or how the strip idolised Dogbert to an insane degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Scott Adam going for the NPC meme confirms my theory that anyone using it seriously talks at length of poo poo no one cares about and everyone just uses generic phrases so they don't have to really engage with them.

It's like an extension of that dude on Facebook getting mad that his intellectual posts are barely getting any likes while the selfie pics get all the attention.