Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Grey Hunter posted:

One more day of this lads, your doing good work.

We'll be in San Francisco by Christmas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So, Grey has lost ~ 40-50 freighters/transports from the attack on Manus as well as the 25,000 soldiers, and the attack hasn't begun, right?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

wedgekree posted:

So, Grey has lost ~ 40-50 freighters/transports from the attack on Manus as well as the 25,000 soldiers, and the attack hasn't begun, right?

I'll fullly admit this is more for me than any strategic value.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

I'll fullly admit this is more for me than any strategic value.

Just like the real IJN! Not only does Grey show us the game, he maintains historical accuracy in roleplay too!

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

We've got plenty of surface units in the area, can't we have some TFs steam by and unload some shells on the Manus defenders before we restart ground combat?

I shotgunned about a year's worth of updates in the last few weeks and...honestly the current situation is really stale. We've been locked in mortal air and naval combat around Rabaul forever now. We've lost a bare handful of islands elsewhere, none of which have seemed to change the strategic picture. The impossibility of taking Chungking was a letdown. The AI is utterly incapable of launching the kind of coordinated attacks that would be fun and interesting to watch and respond to. GH mentioned possibly calling the game early and people were pretty negative towards that idea, but I can't imagine wanting to sit through another year and a half of this kind of grind.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We need to find out what happens with the huge army currently marching towards india

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

We need to find out what happens with the huge army currently marching towards india

Narrator: they died

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

aphid_licker posted:

Narrator: they died
Look, it's called Admiral's Edition, not General's Edition, so those IJA troops are just gonna have to deal with it. This is the Navy's game.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Down comes another one!

And another!

There is more dogfighting over Rabaul.

Go away!

I'm readying up the carriers and a bombardment of Manus – I plan on giving the Allies a xmas present there!

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Breaking news from Hong Kong: 2 soldiers reported as casualties after spraining ankles running to watch B-29 crash. Tokyo Rose News at 11.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Serpentis posted:

Breaking news from Hong Kong: 2 soldiers reported as casualties after spraining ankles running to watch B-29 crash. Tokyo Rose News at 11.

And it was enough to disable the squad. Must have been the officers :hmmyes:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Jonny Nox posted:

And it was enough to disable the squad. Must have been the officers :hmmyes:

Nah, the NCOs. Everyone knows lieutenants don't know gently caress all.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Merry Christmas Grey

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Merry Christmas, Mr Grey!

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Merry Christmas Grey!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Merry Christmas Grey!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Merry Christmas! Your dedication to weird grognard games remains amazing.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Grey Christmas Merry

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

Merry Christmas Grey.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Merry Grey Christmas.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Happy Boxing Day Grey!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Merr Crimbiz Grey

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Merīkurisumasu Grey

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Here our troops play Santa to the poor Allies in Chittagong. Apparently what they asked for was a bunch of free kills as we go after motorboats of all things!

My bombardment force covered a pitiful amount of ground apparently.

Yesssss.

Welcome to the new situation on Manus – time to get off my island guys!

Not even xmas day off? You bastards.

Manus looks to be turning a corner now.
I hope you all have a great Christmas, and may all your gifts be groggy in nature!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I spotted this task force just before running the turn and decided to send my boys out. Turns out it was a good idea! Flush with success the crews.....

…. decide to get a bit cocky. Welp, time to turn the carriers around!

The last of the forts go down, and now its time to take this island!

Two superforts today!

My flak gunners have their range now.

No! bad!

An up and down day, but my spreadsheet tells me I won it by 22 points!

At least she was an old light cruiser!

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Well, I think we can definitively say that light cruisers have been the most brutalized standard class of warships, by percentage, under Grey's leadership. The IJN gets 25 of them total, and 17 of them have been sunk now - and we still have to see if Tenryu manages to survive this sortie. That's over two thirds of them gone.

Comparatively, he's lost 5/18 heavy cruisers, 4/12 battleships, and 3/13 fleet carriers (9/26 carriers of all types). Slightly over 30 destroyers lost too, but they get well over 100 of those.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
A 12000 yd fight with a massively larger ship whose main guns will gently caress a light cruiser's poo poo up in a single hit. Tough break.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Japanese CLs are pieces of poo poo compared to their CAs. The Agano class has 3 double 6” gun turrets, while US CLs like the Cleveland class had 12 6” rifles, and that’s their most modern design. Tenryu has four 5.5” rifles total. They are less well armed than US destroyers and should be nowhere near combat. The only thing they do well is have a conversion to CLAA later.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The bombardment force arrives to make things worse for the defenders of Manus.

Why can I only shoot these things down one at a time?

The bombardment does its work, and breaks the morale of the defenders. Half starved, they surrender. I have captured an allied base in late 1945.

That was a good day. Now to figure out what to do with the troops there!

Two more damaged ships go down.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Did we jump forward in time a year?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Grey Hunter posted:

I have captured an allied base in late 1945.

I've got some bad news

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

I have captured an allied base in late 1945.

Somebody save this. I want to see this as a self fulfilling prophecy, and a challenge to Grey.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

The bombardment does its work, and breaks the morale of the defenders. Half starved, they surrender. I have captured an allied base in late 1945.

I have some bad news for IJA command. Being an IJN loyalest I will deliver it at the worst possible time.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I wonder what the takeaway from the eternal struggle over Manus will for the US Army? Be more like the IJA and use less tanks?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

In all our mockery of the years thing,

We missed pointing out he posted the same screenshot twice.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

overmind2000 posted:

I wonder what the takeaway from the eternal struggle over Manus will for the US Army? Be more like the IJA and use less tanks?

Clearly, the tank exists to fill the role of an armored beachhead defense platform. In the future, we will develop self-entrenching mobile bunkers to make our footholds unassailable.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

wiegieman posted:

Clearly, the tank exists to fill the role of an armored beachhead defense platform. In the future, we will develop self-entrenching mobile bunkers to make our footholds unassailable.

Now imagining the timeline where :killdozer: was built on a tunnel boring rig.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

overmind2000 posted:

No, not fewer tanks - More battleships. With treads, for inland theaters.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Excellent work Grey!

Now go retake Rota in the Marianas before the Americans put a billion Superforts on it and start burning your cities to the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Log082 posted:

No, not fewer tanks - More battleships. With treads, for inland theaters.

*valkyria chronicles intensifies*