Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
IIRC it was Mattis "Retires"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
If you want to lust for the sweet release of death, see the latest Dilbert comic:

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Rip Testes posted:

Did Fox News cover the Mattis resignation letter at all?

I was curious about this too so I took the hit to my corporate targeted marketing profile and searched for stories from Fox News about the Mattis departure.

'Defense Secretary James Mattis' resignation a protest of President Trump's national security policies, sources say'
https://video.foxnews.com/v/5982548377001/#sp=show-clips

The main line from their news channel describes hefty criticism from within the government but also dedicates a significant portion of time discussing other media outlets' responses to Friday's news hurricane. I don't typically watch Fox News so I'm not sure if this is standard for them, or if it's a way to express criticism of the president without actually stating it outright themselves.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/de...tary-of-defense

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

If you want to lust for the sweet release of death, see the latest Dilbert comic:

Jesus christ

on the bright side, if anything sounds the death knell of a (incredibly dumbass) meme, it's idiot boomers like Adams using them to be hip

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

The Glumslinger posted:

yeah the dilbert guy is a well known piece of poo poo chud

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Groovelord Neato posted:

america is far more progressive than republicans, the media, or even democrats treat it and you're right the system overwhelmingly favoring white racists casts this narrative that america is a right wing nation. but it is still depressing that at least 60 million americans are racist authoritarians.

unrelated but how come none of them know how to stand like normal people:

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1076876005640466432

lol at the party of "family values" having no issue with the married adult son of the POTUS making so many appearances with his current girlfriend.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

It's a shame, I used to enjoy Dilbert, and thought The Dilbert Principle was a solid book, at least when I read it some 15 years ago. Now he's so hosed up that he's into writing comics that don't have a joke. And of course going back you find all sorts of evidence in the strips that he has bizarre ideas about women at the very least.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Spacebump posted:

lol at the party of "family values" having no issue with the married adult son of the POTUS making so many appearances with his current girlfriend.

This sort of thing drives me *insane*. Like I have no personal opinion about marriage and stuff, outside of the fact that you theoretically made a commitment to someone and you're being a piece of poo poo breaking it. But for the party where this sort of thing is supposed to be more import, and often have religious aspects tied to it, to not impact people's views on politicians when this poo poo happens just makes me so mad. I don't care if this preacher paid a pool-boy to have a long-term threesome with his wife, but that's the sort of thing that goes against all these established things they're outraged about (sex outside marriage, breaking marriage vows, homosexuality, and being a preacher on top of all that).

There are a gently caress-ton of better examples I don't know off-hand, but the fact that they're able to have things that go so against the main line of what they claim to be about not really impact their electability just no-sells republicans so much for me.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
disingenuousness is the very beating heart of conservatism

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

:lol: when you realize Trump now is dumber than Alzheimer's Reagan

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Discendo Vox posted:

Please link these.

Ben Shapiro takedown

Jordan Peterson takedown

Charles Murray takedown

Ague Proof posted:

The announcement that Osama had been killed interrupted the Apprentice.

oh my gooooood how the gently caress did he become president his entire public image should've been completely loving torched.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Lightning Knight posted:

Ben Shapiro takedown

Jordan Peterson takedown

Charles Murray takedown

oh my gooooood how the gently caress did he become president his entire public image should've been completely loving torched.

https://youtu.be/kXvjz7KkkEM

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Radish posted:

The current real problem is youtube is radicalizing kids by linking white supremacist nazi stuff to pretty much everything that they could be interested in. Watching videogame stuff is guaranteed to get some severe misogynistic bullshit funneled into their recommendations. I don't think enough people in power understand that is going on, especially since stuff like the New York Times likes to promote "the Intellectual Dark Web" as good when they are just chuds with secondary college degrees.

It's not just the recommends either, I've been getting these 5-minute Prager U screeds about "cultural Marxism" as ads for a few months now.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/MrDanZak/status/1076840459190919169?s=20

Fuckin uhhhhhh

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

mattis didn't do anything to restrain Trump and will be replaced by an identical war criminal ghoul so we shouldn't be worried about his departure, and frankly having checks on Donald Trump's ability to deploy nuclear weapons is bad

*starts humming 99 Luftbaloons*

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Spaced God posted:

Fuckin uhhhhhh

Oh please, every Republican President since Nixon has probably had military officials doing this, it's not even shocking anymore.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, there has to have been along the chain of command, some sort of gentlemen's agreement to prevent this impulsive child from just tossing around nukes. People stormed into the Trump thread to tell me that military people are robots who will do anything their superiors order them to, but I still think i'm right here. There's no way people who are aware of the destructive power and consequences of using even one, would let this simple tool within a moment of using them.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Let's fuckin do it. I've always wanted to see a mushroom cloud.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I hope Bolton yells at Trump and gets fired.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

reminder that Fox News kept saying for the whole week that n-word(neoliberal) Obama was kill and then a seond later went "oh we so sawry, but neoliberal Obama and sand neoliberal Osama both have really really similar names, we so sawrryyyyy."

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

PhazonLink posted:

reminder that Fox News kept saying for the whole week that n-word(neoliberal) Obama was kill and then a seond later went "oh we so sawry, but neoliberal Obama and sand neoliberal Osama both have really really similar names, we so sawrryyyyy."

The gently caress?

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Seems like a good time for a reminder that Dan Zak and other Twitter alarmists like Jeffrey Lewis really want you to buy their books about nuclear holocaust.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Zophar posted:

Seems like a good time for a reminder that Dan Zak and other Twitter alarmists like Jeffrey Lewis really want you to buy their books about nuclear holocaust.

Paint me as unsurprised as possible. :rolleyes:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

KickerOfMice posted:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, there has to have been along the chain of command, some sort of gentlemen's agreement to prevent this impulsive child from just tossing around nukes. People stormed into the Trump thread to tell me that military people are robots who will do anything their superiors order them to, but I still think i'm right here. There's no way people who are aware of the destructive power and consequences of using even one, would let this simple tool within a moment of using them.

I read that all along the chain of command, they have frequent nuclear drills where they don't tell the people involved that it's a drill until it's over, so in the event of a real nuclear launch, it's indistinguishable from a drill.

Kale
May 14, 2010

There Bias Two posted:

Lots of fun?

Jesus tap-dancing Christ.

Lot of totally normal things for a U.S President and sane functional adult human being to say coming out of the ol' Real Donald Trump this weekend. Big beautiful spike walls and drones of death. Rinse/repeat every day like the caravan thing hoping somebody gives you what you want I'm going to imagine. America etc.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Pakled posted:

I read that all along the chain of command, they have frequent nuclear drills where they don't tell the people involved that it's a drill until it's over.

Yes that's true, down the chain, that's absolutely true. But I hope they have a cabinet-level plan to distract the goblin with FOX news, or his precious wall, or some such.

Because the president is susceptible to momentary distraction! :911:

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

PhazonLink posted:

...what?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pakled posted:

I read that all along the chain of command, they have frequent nuclear drills where they don't tell the people involved that it's a drill until it's over, so in the event of a real nuclear launch, it's indistinguishable from a drill.
This apparently is a major contributor to the US missile forces being the dumping ground for the USAFs undesirables. Nobody wants to spend weeks isolated underground repeatedly performing mock executions on the human race.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

He's right that Fox deliberately conflate Obama and Osama, he just phrased it in an obnoxious and confusing memelord way

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Failed Imagineer posted:

He's right that Fox deliberately conflate Obama and Osama, he just phrased it in an obnoxious and confusing memelord way

That post legitimately is reads like its author was having a psychotic break though.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I hope Bolton yells at Trump and gets fired.

I hope he yells at Trump and has a stroke.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

It's not like we've had an accidental alert happen this year which, even though it didn't proliferate up the chain of command, could still be seen by the President because it was Twitter-streamed.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

Please link these.

In addendum to the other links, CA had a twitter thread where all their criticisms to date were compiled last August:

https://twitter.com/curaffairs/status/1029148698947792896

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quote:

The secretary of defense has no legal position in the nuclear chain of command, and any attempts by a secretary of defense to prevent the president from exercising the authority to use nuclear weapons would be undemocratic and illegal.

lol THE LAW is not going to stop someone from preventing a rogue president for launching for no reason.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

It's a complicated subject. On the one hand, preventing a deranged president from impulsively launching nukes is a good thing. On the other hand, if another country launches nukes at you, you have maybe 15 minutes to respond. Any sort of bureaucracy will drastically slow down your response time and potentially hurt your retaliatory capability (since some of the enemy's nukes will hit and disable your own silos, so you need your missiles in the air before that happens).

I learned all this from playing Defcon.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe
Those adorable puppytars are making this hard to read! :cheeky:

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

It's a complicated subject. On the one hand, preventing a deranged president from impulsively launching nukes is a good thing. On the other hand, if another country launches nukes at you, you have maybe 15 minutes to respond. Any sort of bureaucracy will drastically slow down your response time and potentially hurt your retaliatory capability (since some of the enemy's nukes will hit and disable your own silos, so you need your missiles in the air before that happens).

It's not that complicated. The consequences for accidentally launching nukes when you shouldn't have is an apocalypse. The consequences for not launching nukes as soon as you should have is that maybe fewer people die in the apocalypse.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I would prefer not to have a white nuclear winter Christmas, thank you very much.

To be honest, if that scenario ever happened, at least with me, there's a General Dynamics munitions/gunpowder factory about 8 miles away. The amount of nitroglycerin they have on hand would glass the entire county if it touched off.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

double nine posted:

I'm sure there's a political metaphor to be found in this footage:

https://twitter.com/Naturanotitia/status/1076402736130859008

that's *my* dinner, bitch.

That eagle perfectly represents America: a vulture profiting off of the efforts of another and yet too stupid to do the evil and smart thing by flying upward 45 feet, dropping it, and having two dinners that evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

enraged_camel posted:

This was mostly rendered moot by nuclear submarines adding a secondary strike capability. A decapitation strike is no longer a viable tactic.