Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
https://twitter.com/dentristcad/status/1076779094879158272?s=21

Chuck C Johnson goes East.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
So, I've only been vaguely following Brexit. Were there any laws in particular that the British found so onerous that they had to leave the EU?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

All of them.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

SimonCat posted:

So, I've only been vaguely following Brexit. Were there any laws in particular that the British found so onerous that they had to leave the EU?

EU banned memes or something?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the eu banned bendy bananas , if you can believe it

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

SimonCat posted:

They had to let brown people in.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It was mainly about hearing people talk foreign in public places.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

It's amazing how well right-wing media leads dipshits like hamprince by the nose. My dude, the only way it will ever matter is if credulous pantywaists like yourself allow it to matter. Oh wow, yeah, everyone in the universe cares a so much about Munich half a century later. You definitely won't sound like a loving wackjob if you go around talking about poo poo that didn't happen last week.

when you've bought so hard into the jam man that you're yelling about how the guardian and independent are tory smear machines

quote:

A man and woman arrested in connection with drone sightings that grounded flights at Gatwick Airport have been released without charge.

The 47-year-old man and 54-year-old woman, from Crawley, West Sussex, had been arrested on Friday night.

Their release came as Sussex Police said they were relying on eye witnesses and there may have been no "genuine drone activity in the first place".

Det Ch Supt Jason Tingley said no footage of a drone had been obtained.

He said there was "always a possibility" the reported sightings of drones were mistaken.

:stare:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

SimonCat posted:

The real kneejerking began late 90's/early 2000's with refugees of the Balkan wars and then Polish immigration. When that got boring the papers started going on about EU banning bendy bananas and back then even non-gammon people used it as a talking point (about silly bureaucracy). A rogue press, Tory government and Iraq/Afganistan/Libya wars and corresponding refugees drove the gammons into a mad-dog state. The Tories then acted surprised when the mad-dogs bit them.

Regarde Aduck has issued a correction as of 20:15 on Dec 23, 2018

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SimonCat posted:

combination of increasing anti-refugee sentiment in the wake of the middle east refugee crisis + free trade agreements and decades of patient dismantling of the welfare state requiring a convenient scapegoat to explain why everyone is living in misery

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

I recall a running tiff with the European Court of Justice where the UK tried to extradite a Salafist cleric named Abu Qatada to Jordan, but the courts wouldn't let them because the Jordanians might use evidence obtained using torture in his trial. Eventually the Jordanians agreed to omit such evidence and Qatada got extradited, but the right-wing press got a lot of "TERROR CLERIC FREED BY BRUSSELS" millage out of it.

lots of little things like that in addition to the real motivating factor for brexit, the migrants coming to take your white van man jobs.

Fallen Hamprince has issued a correction as of 20:21 on Dec 23, 2018

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

SimonCat posted:

The "Polish are people" law.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Grape posted:

The "forrins are people" law.

It's this op

The main deal though is the EU and immigrants got scapegoated for all the obvious effects of neoliberalism since Thatcher.

People call brexiteers stupid (they are) but literally the whole political/media consensus was agreed on this for decades:

"the eu is barmy beauracracy and immigrants are making you poorer"

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Regarde Aduck posted:

The real kneejerking began late 90's/early 2000's with refugees of the Balkan wars and then Polish immigration. When that got boring the papers started going on about EU banning bendy bananas and back then even non-gammon people used it as a talking point (about silly bureaucracy). A rogue press, Tory government and Iraq/Afganistan/Libya wars and corresponding refugees drove the gammons into a mad-dog state. The Tories then acted surprised when the mad-dogs bit them.

I'm doing a little reading on "bendy bananas" and a couple of things pop up.

1. Why the gently caress do the English have such lovely little cutesy names for things? "Brexit" "Bendy Bananas."

2. Why would anyone be against a standard applied to wholesalers regarding how they classify their produce so that the retailer who orders from them can be reasonably assured that the produce they are buying is of a visual quality that matches the consumer's expectations of what the produce should be?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Fallen Hamprince posted:

I recall a running tiff with the European Court of Justice where the UK tried to extradite a Salafist cleric named Abu Qatada to Jordan, but the courts wouldn't let them because the Jordanians might use evidence obtained using torture in his trial. Eventually the Jordanians agreed to omit such evidence and Qatada got extradited, but the right-wing press got a lot of "TERROR CLERIC FREED BY BRUSSELS" millage out of it.

lots of little things like that in addition to the real motivating factor for brexit, the migrants coming to take your white van man jobs.

In a nice repetition of history this was Theresa May as home secretary making a big show of Standing Up To Brussels to which the ECJ politely and firmly said "no" until she did what they suggested and she tried to paint it as a huge victory and not a massive waste of time and money.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

The "there was never actually a drone after all" thing is still blowing my mind

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Please let it be true, it'll be the funniest thing I've heard all year. 100000 people have their holidays destroyed because nobody thought it might be a plastic bag.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
That has to be some kind of cover up but I don't begin to know what for.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Modus Pwnens posted:

That has to be some kind of cover up but I don't begin to know what for.

You're underestimating how dumb humans are.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

The lesson of 2016 is absolutely not "HMMMM, WHAT IS THE SECRET CABAL'S MOTIVE HERE??", it is "People are loving stupid as hell."

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Mass hysteria causing people to hallucinate drones is pretty great sendoff to 2018

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Mass hysteria causing people to hallucinate drones is pretty great sendoff to 2018

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Fallen Hamprince posted:

I recall a running tiff with the European Court of Justice where the UK tried to extradite a Salafist cleric named Abu Qatada to Jordan, but the courts wouldn't let them because the Jordanians might use evidence obtained using torture in his trial.

I believe that was the European Court of Human Rights which isn't an EU body.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Bryter posted:

I believe that was the European Court of Human Rights which isn't an EU body.

you're right

did not stop the sun from blaming europe

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

hahaha “there was no drone” is perfect. it is the perfect metaphor. not a metaphor for anything, just a pure metaphor, untethered to any signifier and adrift in the sea of its own meaning

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hentai Jihadist posted:

It's this op

The main deal though is the EU and immigrants got scapegoated for all the obvious effects of neoliberalism since Thatcher.

People call brexiteers stupid (they are) but literally the whole political/media consensus was agreed on this for decades:

the uk also got a ton of special concessions for joining and repaid this favor by only sending the most belligerent and anti-eu people as ambassadors

they do not like playing second-fiddle to anyone ever

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Hentai Jihadist posted:

It's this op

and the EU was an important element of said neoliberalism since thatcher.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/kayjay_official/status/1076876100515627013

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

the uk basically laser-focused on the good things about the eu and blamed those exclusively

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

SimonCat posted:

1. Why the gently caress do the English have such lovely little cutesy names for things? "Brexit" "Bendy Bananas."

our political discourse is still largely determined by tabloid newspapers that are written at a patronising reading level.

I don't know if it's actually a difference or just what I've seen of standard american hate campaigns, but while both seem to run on a combination of mockery, hate, and fear, the British right wing seems to lean further toward the mockery. Like, the British line of attack is often "BARMY: stupid loons say crazy lefty nonsense" while the American stuff I've seen goes more to the "These evil monsters want to destroy america and turn your kids communist" or whatever. In this case coming up with the right silly singsong phrase to sum up your positions allows you to seem chummy and avin a 'larf while sneaking in your horrible views through the back door.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Angepain posted:

our political discourse is still largely determined by tabloid newspapers that are written at a patronising reading level.

I don't know if it's actually a difference or just what I've seen of standard american hate campaigns, but while both seem to run on a combination of mockery, hate, and fear, the British right wing seems to lean further toward the mockery. Like, the British line of attack is often "BARMY: stupid loons say crazy lefty nonsense" while the American stuff I've seen goes more to the "These evil monsters want to destroy america and turn your kids communist" or whatever. In this case coming up with the right silly singsong phrase to sum up your positions allows you to seem chummy and avin a 'larf while sneaking in your horrible views through the back door.

American right wing media is genuinely afraid of smart people, intelligence, and so on in general. So demonizing the left as being koo koo idiots doesn't quite work the same.
Instead it's "good simple common sense folks VS elitist college intellectual jewish costal aristocrats".

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

2016 was creepy clowns, 2018 is ghost drones

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

2016 was disbelief, 2017 was despair, 2018 was deflection. Here's hoping for decapitation.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

dissolution

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

2016: Enter the Brexit
2017: The Brexit pt. 2: Disaster
2018: The Brexit pt. 3: Destruction
2918: The Brexit pt. 4: Default

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Brexminster Abbey

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

SimonCat posted:

I've never been to the UK but I understand that passports being brown instead of blue was some sort of breaking point.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Even in the Thatcher years the UK was a regressive shithole that needed to negotiate an opt out out of the Social Charter of Maastricht. In other words, in a congregation of neolibs, the UK was a neolib freak that got in the way of everybody else.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Zeroisanumber posted:

I've never been to the UK but I understand that passports being brown instead of blue was some sort of breaking point.

They're maroon but it's boomers boomering and we need to kill them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Jose posted:

They're maroon but it's boomers boomering and we need to kill them

Easy, make it so you have to contribute for NHS treatment in proportion to the assets you hold. With that being 0 at say sub 250k.