Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Pick posted:

Shut up Bravest, god drat you're dumb as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

mmmmalo posted:

That's probably part of it, but I also think accounting for apparent contradictions is just part of the process of tying stuff together? Some of the confusion is just mine, I mean

Well we can deeper into that aforementioned web and ask what exactly makes Spider-People so important. The movie introduces a universe of infinite possibilities, but the only things to pop out of other dimensions are more Spider-Men. So they're some kind of inter-dimensional constant, but why? It doesn't seem like there's anything particularly important about arachnid-themed vigilantes from New York.

We have that image of a cosmic web connecting different worlds, so are Spider-People some kind of universal safety mechanism? But they don't actually have anything to do with interdimensional travel, they just end up stumbling onto it because one dimension develops the technology for crossing dimensions.

And then this is supposed to connect to different dimensions representing different genres. There's a Film Noir dimension, an Anime dimension, a Looney Tunes dimension... but then they also represent just alternate continuities where Peter Parker is totally cool or he's a total loser, or his ex-girlfriend is the Spider-Person, or it's the future, or it's 1967. Is Gwen-Stacy-Being-Alive its own genre? What events led to the Noir universe diverging from the Loser Spider-Man universe? Is Noir's Doctor Octopus still a South African Nazi midget? How do other superheroes figure into this? Are DC comics canon in this? Or other fictional universes? Does it all take place in the mind of Tommy Westphall?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 23, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I dunno. Go to a comic book store and quote that post verbatim to the clerk and see what he says to you.

E: seriously have you listened to the loving Christmas album yet. Stop dodging the question.

Rapid 99
Jan 30, 2015

Hero will never give up,
never hide,
never be defeated,
never accept evil.
Spidey's head got shoved into a dimensional rift and that's what pulled a bunch of Spiders to his universe.

But you already know that. I just like thinking about this movie.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

nine-gear crow posted:

I dunno. Go to a comic book store and quote that post verbatim to the clerk and see what he says to you.

Those don't exist in my dimension, which is themed after the Carry On movies.

smidgeonnn posted:

Spidey's head got shoved into a dimensional rift and that's what pulled a bunch of Spiders to his universe.

But you already know that.

Yes. No one was asking why they were summoned. The question is what makes Spider-People a universal constant. Is the Spider-Man franchise some kind of cosmic predator lurking on the unimaginably vast spider-web the movie shows, like an over-the-top metaphor for capitalism?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 23, 2018

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

mmmmalo posted:

On the subject of connecting the mundane stuff to the rest: One thing that struck me about the movie was that while I expected Miles's performance as Spiderman to be a mirror of his school problems, the situations don't actually seem to be in agreement? The "all wrong answers means you knew all the answers" scene with his teacher shows that Miles is sabotaging himself because he wants out, while his experience as Spiderman comes off as more mundane learning pains. You might be able to reconcile these by saying that Miles is (subconsciously I guess?) sabotaging himself as Spiderman like he does at school, implying that there's something about the possibility of success as Spiderman that terrifies him? Whatever that something might be.

My gut tells me that they're conflating "afraid to express yourself" and "afraid to be extraordinary", since that seems like the a potential meeting point between hiding his art from his dad, feeling weird about going to the "school for stuck up elites" (or however they gestured at some kind of ressentiment), and Spiderman stuff? But there's also room in there to suggest that Miles is afraid of his own power -- or more specifically having power over others, which would link his anxiety over attending the elite school to his reluctance to engage with his police officer father? Like going to a private school makes you a cop

I take the failing/unfailing scene as short version his own 'Wrestling with Macho Man' moment. He inherently misunderstands his position and situation in the world, and tries to uses his ability to purely profit himself.

There isn't really a scene where Miles is conflicted about being Spider-Man, or where is powers causes him honest-to-god trouble. He's always confident in his abilities and role as Spider-Man. It's his familial connections, his anchors to both the real world and his ability to affect people is where his issues are. It's the inverse of the traditional Spider-Man conflict, where he would rather throw away the book bag and the uniform in a trash can and be 'Miles Morales No More'. It's only in the end where he confronts his symbolic anchor, his Dad, and both acknowledge and affirm his existence and connection that his conflict is resolved.

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!

SomeJazzyRat posted:

'Wrestling with Macho Man' moment

What's this mean? I was never big on wrestling

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

mmmmalo posted:

What's this mean? I was never big on wrestling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E0oiKjLzTc

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Saw it with my whole family, it's surprisingly good, and it looks amazing. We all got into it , my ten year old nephew got so into it I think he was crying at one point, but I missed a bit because my five year old got scared.

I think they really screwed up advertising this. I hadn't heard of it , and I went in expecting it to be something I'd have to sit through.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The Christmas Album is great but it really should have had Hailee Steinfeld singing God Rest Ye Merry Gentle-Gwen

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Perhaps more than ever before, BoTL.....this ain't it, chief

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!

Thanks!

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I take the failing/unfailing scene as short version his own 'Wrestling with Macho Man' moment. He inherently misunderstands his position and situation in the world, and tries to uses his ability to purely profit himself.

There isn't really a scene where Miles is conflicted about being Spider-Man, or where is powers causes him honest-to-god trouble. He's always confident in his abilities and role as Spider-Man. It's his familial connections, his anchors to both the real world and his ability to affect people is where his issues are. It's the inverse of the traditional Spider-Man conflict, where he would rather throw away the book bag and the uniform in a trash can and be 'Miles Morales No More'. It's only in the end where he confronts his symbolic anchor, his Dad, and both acknowledge and affirm his existence and connection that his conflict is resolved.

I see what you mean now; Miles using his smarts to get out of private school is a misusing-his-powers scene, like Toby Macguire looking for quick cash. I'm not sure what you mean by Miles misunderstanding his position? He seems to understand well enough that he's 'moving up' in some way, and that he has the potential to excel there, but he doesn't want to.

I don't think he was confident in his abilities as Spiderman? Even if it gets expressed as his inability to fit in with the other Spiders, the learning curve for using his powers was a big part of the movie. You're right about the dad being pivotal though, and there's definitely some correlation between the speech the dad gives through the door and Miles finally taking the "leap of faith" that Peter B spoke of, which lets him come into his abilities. As though the real leap is trusting his dad...? Or else trusting that his dad has already acknowledged him, and that he's not chasing after anyone's expectations? Both of those are wild guesses; I don't remember the dad's speech at all

I also think having the embarrassing i-love-you-dad scene right before Miles enters the school kind of supports your point that his problems there (as with spiderstuff) are extensions of the problem of how he regards his father's love; it's like the entire act of being in the school is a reiteration of that basic embarrassment.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Just consider that he gets his powers from being bitten by an evil corporation and then puts on a store-bought Halloween costume before he gets an unique superhero suit. He's progresses from an individual to a consumer and ultimately into a product.

I think they tried to circumvent this by having Miles spray-paint a red spidersuit black instead of using the black suit that was already there? As a way to show him making the role his own, or something... doesn't really contradict your point, but within a focus on 'expectations' it seems like another gesture towards the stuff above. Like the mod-suit becomes a gesture towards not resenting that his personal(ized) success aligns with his dad's/the audience's expectations...?

mmmmalo fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 23, 2018

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Yes. No one was asking why they were summoned. The question is what makes Spider-People a universal constant.

You're not going down deep enough into the multi-verse rabbit hole: everybody is a universal constant and your observation is what determines who you perceive as a constant. That's all (*).

(*) very literally

EDIT to pull my head out of my rear end and contribute that this is my second favourite Spider-Man movie -- I liked the storyline of Homecoming a bit more, but the pure cinema of Spider-Verse was a lot of fun.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 23, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mmmmalo posted:

I think they tried to circumvent this by having Miles spray-paint a red spidersuit black instead of using the black suit that was already there? As a way to show him making the role his own, or something... doesn't really contradict your point, but within a focus on 'expectations' it seems like another gesture towards the stuff above. Like the mod-suit becomes a gesture towards not resenting that his personal(ized) success aligns with his dad's/the audience's expectations...?

Might be less about a product more about a legacy; that Miles is acknowledging he's following in another's footsteps, and goes from using a cheap imitation that was all he could get to getting the real thing and putting his own twist on it.

Also I liked the visualisation of the multiverse as a spider-web.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

InfiniteZero posted:

You're not going down deep enough into the multi-verse rabbit hole: everybody is a universal constant and your observation is what determines who you perceive as a constant. That's all (*).

(*) very literally

Whose perception causes a Film Noir parody version of Spider-Man to show up?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Might be less about a product more about a legacy; that Miles is acknowledging he's following in another's footsteps, and goes from using a cheap imitation that was all he could get to getting the real thing and putting his own twist on it.

Also I liked the visualisation of the multiverse as a spider-web.

Here you have to actually ask questions like what legacy he's taking up. Is there that a great demand for people to... stop CERN?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

E: seriously have you listened to the loving Christmas album yet. Stop dodging the question.

This is all I ask of you before I put you on ignore, Bravest.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Is there that a great demand for people to... stop CERN?

You seem overly pleased with this absolutely ridiculous take.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The plot draws inspiration from how people expected CERN to destroy the world ten years ago. Some guy tried to block the activation of the Large Hadron Collider because it might have unleashed dragons that would eat mankind, and CERN was going ahead with the project regardless of consequences.

Kingpin is the villain because his destructive obsession causes him to go ahead with the project regardless of consequences. In the comic series where Miles Morales comes from, Kingpin isn't evil because he Feels Really Strongly About Something. He's evil because he's a crime lord. The change removes the social context and relevance of the character (meager as they are) in favour of the "apolitical" threat of People Who Feel Really Strongly About Something ("It's not always about the money, Spider-Man").

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

The plot draws inspiration from how people expected CERN to destroy the world ten years ago. Some guy tried to block the activation of the Large Hadron Collider because it might have unleashed dragons that would eat mankind, and CERN was going ahead with the project regardless of consequences.

Kingpin is the villain because his destructive obsession causes him to go ahead with the project regardless of consequences. In the comic series where Miles Morales comes from, Kingpin isn't evil because he Feels Really Strongly About Something. He's evil because he's a crime lord. The change removes the social context and relevance of the character (meager as they are) in favour of the "apolitical" threat of People Who Feel Really Strongly About Something ("It's not always about the money, Spider-Man").

How do you account for Kingpin being shown as really evil before encountering the loss that fuels him in this film?

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
Am I the only turbonerd that saw blonde spider Man and immediately gasped "Ben Reilly?"

The only real plot holes I could take from this are the aforementioned high school age gwen infiltrating a prestigious charter middle and Jefferson Davis apparently being the only cop in NY to the point where he's not only police security at the Kingpins Gala but also responding to emergency calls in Queens

I would recommend that absolutely no one reads the comic Spider Verse event(s), but if they're looking to mine characters from that for sequels Spider-Punk is an absolute gimme, not only because he speaks so strongly to modern us politics and matches the film's aesthetics but that he's his universe's version of The Prowler/Uncle Aaron which would introduce some interesting character dynamic with Miles

tin can made man fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 23, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

tin can made man posted:

Am I the only turbonerd that saw blonde spider Man and immediately gasped "Ben Reilly?"

The only real plot holes I could take from this are the aforementioned high school age gwen infiltrating a prestigious charter middle and Jefferson Davis apparently being the only cop in NY to the point where he's not only police security at the Kingpins Gala but also responding to emergency calls in Queens

Look, he's the best drat street cop in Brooklyn and Captain Holt believes in him.

He wasn't security at the gala, he was out on the street and saw weirdness going on with the building, so went to investigate.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

tin can made man posted:

Jefferson Davis apparently being the only cop in NY to the point where he's not only police security at the Kingpins Gala but also responding to emergency calls in Queens

He's not police security at the gala, there's a scene of him assisting someone outside the building and then heading inside to investigate the explosion

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
hosed up that they named the dad after the Confederate president for the sake of a subtle Miles Davis homage.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 23, 2018

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

Necrothatcher posted:

He's not police security at the gala, there's a scene of him assisting someone outside the building and then heading inside to investigate the explosion

The_Doctor posted:

Look, he's the best drat street cop in Brooklyn and Captain Holt believes in him.

He wasn't security at the gala, he was out on the street and saw weirdness going on with the building, so went to investigate.

So does the man work in Brooklyn, Queens, or Manhattan???? I sure hope somebody got fired for that blunder

The alternate semi explanation is that Fisk HQ is in Brooklyn which seems less believable than a tri-borough beat cop but then again they had that bit about gentrification at the beginning so maybe

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

tin can made man posted:

I would recommend that absolutely no one reads the comic Spider Verse event(s), but if they're looking to mine characters from that for sequels Spider-Punk is an absolute gimme, not only because he speaks so strongly to modern us politics and matches the film's aesthetics but that he's his universe's version of The Prowler/Uncle Aaron which would introduce some interesting character dynamic with Miles
Most importantly, however, Spider-Punk is at least partially created by a goon.

Also, I'd kind of like to see the Renew Your Vows Spider-Family, since that would allow a version of MJ to be actively participating in the story (and it'd be interesting to see Peter B's reaction to that, as well as to his alternate-dimension daughter (Spider-Girl would be good for a similar reason). They could even have Chris Pine back to play RYV Spidey. Or one of the previous Spidey VAs from one of the many prior adaptations - while Tobey would have probably overshadowed the cast, hence why they left him out in this one (not to mention he's not really all that great at VA work, from what I saw of him in the Spider-Man games) - there's a lot of talented actors who could reprise the role. You could even get the appropriate MJ actress to voice Spinneret and maybe drop hints that it's the future of the 90s cartoon or Spectacular.

The_Doctor posted:

Look, he's the best drat street cop in Brooklyn and CaptainCommissioner Holt believes in him.
I choose to believe Holt's the Commish in this universe.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Yvonmukluk posted:

Most importantly, however, Spider-Punk is at least partially created by a goon.

Also, I'd kind of like to see the Renew Your Vows Spider-Family, since that would allow a version of MJ to be actively participating in the story (and it'd be interesting to see Peter B's reaction to that, as well as to his alternate-dimension daughter (Spider-Girl would be good for a similar reason). They could even have Chris Pine back to play RYV Spidey. Or one of the previous Spidey VAs from one of the many prior adaptations - while Tobey would have probably overshadowed the cast, hence why they left him out in this one (not to mention he's not really all that great at VA work, from what I saw of him in the Spider-Man games) - there's a lot of talented actors who could reprise the role. You could even get the appropriate MJ actress to voice Spinneret and maybe drop hints that it's the future of the 90s cartoon or Spectacular.

I choose to believe Holt's the Commish in this universe.

I actually like to think that after deciding to go back to MJ, Peter B's dimension becomes the Renew Your Vows dimension.

Viridiant fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 23, 2018

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

tin can made man posted:

I would recommend that absolutely no one reads the comic Spider Verse event(s),

On the contrary, I really enjoyed the comic event. I thought it was generally well received?

It was dumb, but it was big dumb fun.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ghostwritingduck posted:

How do you account for Kingpin being shown as really evil before encountering the loss that fuels him in this film?

The movie is primarily about the non-threat of the Large Hadron Collider.

Asnorban posted:

On the contrary, I really enjoyed the comic event. I thought it was generally well received?

It was dumb, but it was big dumb fun.

All comic events are bad, from Retcon on Infinite Earths to Spider-Arse.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Looking up older Spider-Man actors, the 80s cartoon voice actor Ted Schwartz died a few years ago. Dan Gilvezan, the voice actor from Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends is still around, as is but Nicholas Hammond. Have they never asked them for a cameo or maybe neither wanted to do one?

Gotta take your shoes off if you wanna crawl up walls. That's just science!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

All comic events are bad, from Retcon on Infinite Earths to Spider-Arse.

None of this looks like a review on the album.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

This is why no one likes film studies majors.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

tin can made man posted:

Yeah me too. The less clones the better though :v:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

1stGear posted:

This is why no one likes film studies majors.

....Because they describe movies?

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!

I'm with SomeJazzyRat in thinking that a good way to approach the inexplicable elements like the collider is as a metaphor for the mundane. The collider slams things into each other, and Miles's major moments tend to be sealed by contact with another person. His uncle introducing "Hey" with the hand on the shoulder, Miles attempting to repeat "Hey" and getting his hand stuck in Gwen's hair, Miles mastering "Hey" before he punches out Kingpin. Miles shaking hands with Gwen, Miles hugging his dad. Kingpin's whole purpose with the collider is to bring his family back together.

The collider draws from anxieties about LHC making mini-blackholes for some of its impact, but within the story I think it's more of a reflection of the importance/dread that the movie assigns to connecting/being in contact with others?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

mmmmalo posted:

I'm with SomeJazzyRat in thinking that a good way to approach the inexplicable elements like the collider is as a metaphor for the mundane. The collider slams things into each other, and Miles's major moments tend to be sealed by contact with another person. His uncle introducing "Hey" with the hand on the shoulder, Miles attempting to repeat "Hey" and getting his hand stuck in Gwen's hair, Miles mastering "Hey" before he punches out Kingpin. Miles shaking hands with Gwen, Miles hugging his dad. Kingpin's whole purpose with the collider is to bring his family back together.

The collider draws from anxieties about LHC making mini-blackholes for some of its impact, but within the story I think it's more of a reflection of the importance/dread that the movie assigns to connecting/being in contact with others?

The problem with that is that you end up with 90 million dollars spent on declaring that family is important or something.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Or you, you know, have 90 million dollars spent on an entertaining, stylish, and refreshingly distinct product. That seems kind of important too.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

And family IS important :colbert:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Yeah, how dare they make a movie about a really common and relatable theme, instead of making a movie about the Large Hadron Collider is evil or whatever the gently caress you're on about.

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!

The problem with that is that you end up with 90 million dollars spent on declaring that family is important or something.

More or less, but it's not like the family motifs are like, exhaustive. Even if the movie's kind of rooted in Mile's interpersonal anxiety, those motifs could still be connected to other stuff. Like in Armageddon, the meteor was simultaneously a metaphor for Bruce Willis's anger toward his daughter's boyfriend and the threat the oil industry posed to the earth. Not saying the collider's being deployed in the same way but like, I wouldn't rule it out even if the way the movie talks about family is more apparent to me.

Edit: figured out italics

mmmmalo fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
As I watched Miles triumphantly jump off the edge of the building in the Spider-Man suit he had made his own, with the tones of "What's Up, Danger" booming behind him, I sat in my chair in the theater and thought, "This movie is about being scared of the Large Hadron Collider."