Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

bull3964 posted:

Negatory. Uniformity issues in gray exist on OLEDs as well. It's just the nature of large screens in general.

Interesting, didn't know that. Ah well.

Bolt Crank nice, let us know how you like it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

smoobles posted:

Mines this one, rated for 40-88 inches and 135 lbs. My TV is 85 inches and 100 lbs so I guess I am good.

VideoSecu 24 inch Extension Full Motion Swivel Articulating TV Wall Mount Bracket for Most 40"-90" LED LCD OLED Plasma Flat Screen TV with VESA 684x400,600x400,400x400,200x200mm MW480B BCL https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CKL9U2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Dg9fCbSWNQH13

You can also spread the load out by gluing and lag bolting a (wall color painted) 2x6 to the wall into the outermost stud positions and then attaching the mount through that board to any matching stud positions and then to the 2x6 itself for anywhere else.

This also works for bathroom remodels for towel racks, etc - although with 1x4 wood and after routing the edges.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
On one hand if I'm spending over 2k on a piece of electronics I expect a certain level of quality but on the other hand I'm glad I don't have the brain bugs that make me care that a solid grey screen looks slightly blotchy.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

If my general use case is watching sports and sci-fi shows, playing Xbox One X and PS4 games, and looking forward to HDR movies in my mancave office, is the Sony X900F enough of an upgrade over the TCL 6 series to be worth it?

I was looking at the 49” X900F and while a 49” would fit a little bit better than a 55”, I could make either size work so the possibility of getting the 55” TCL at almost $400 less seems like a great option, though I saw the X900F is a native 120 hz panel while the TCL is 60 Hz (not sure it really matters for my use case?)

For revenge, it’s be replacing an old 40” Sony KDL-40WL135 has started to make a buzzing sound that, from me testing, doesn’t appear to be a ground loop issue. The screen also may be starting to yellow some.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

SourKraut posted:

If my general use case is watching sports and sci-fi shows, playing Xbox One X and PS4 games, and looking forward to HDR movies in my mancave office, is the Sony X900F enough of an upgrade over the TCL 6 series to be worth it?

I was looking at the 49” X900F and while a 49” would fit a little bit better than a 55”, I could make either size work so the possibility of getting the 55” TCL at almost $400 less seems like a great option, though I saw the X900F is a native 120 hz panel while the TCL is 60 Hz (not sure it really matters for my use case?)

For revenge, it’s be replacing an old 40” Sony KDL-40WL135 has started to make a buzzing sound that, from me testing, doesn’t appear to be a ground loop issue. The screen also may be starting to yellow some.

The X900F is generally considered the mid-range recommended option between the TCL and the LG OLED. I have one and I love it. It is an improvement over the TCL (mainly in the motion processing department), but I would say TCL is the best bang for your buck, whereas the Sony is for people who don't mind spending a bit more for the motion stuff and a lower likelihood of getting a bad panel.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, for most people it doesn't make sense to step up to the X900F compared to the P series TCL especially since this year got proper processing of 24fps over 60hz signals.

It's an upgrade, but not a super dramatic one.

It is about the only choice in the sub 50" space though. The 49" X900F is a perfect bedroom TV.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Astro7x posted:

Best Buy has the TCL 55" R615 for $500 today, down from $600

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55...e7b3f3e8d1f0INT

Calling again to price match, maybe they won't have a record of the first $50 price match.... really frustrating that their Black Friday price wasn't actually their lowest price on this thing.

Edit: New rep gave me $110 back w/ the sale tax. That's $160 off my Black Friday purchase on this TV, nice...

Thanks! This is still on btw. 65" is still $899.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

drat, wish that'd been the case when I picked up the S405, I'd have sprung for the upgrade

Maybe in a coupla years

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
Just how big is the risk of burn-in for one of tee LG oleds? I play a few hours of fifa and madden every week and watch quite a bit of sports, all things with fairly consistent chirons or icons that stay on the entire time. I'm terrified of spending so much money and having it get ruined like that

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think that’s a fairly average use case of people with OLEDs, and while the existence of burn in is real it’s not something that’s really happening in the real world yet. It’s the tech pages who run sets into the ground on purpose to test how long it takes that are seeing it.

Very few people who went OLED have shown regrets in this thread.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I play a load of video games and haven't noticed any burn in yet. 100+ hours in Zelda. 200 hours in Xenoblade 2. No issues.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

For 2016 models, 200 hours of red or yellow could be a problem. Not a "shows up in normal content" problem, but visible under some circumstances. It's also highly dependent on your brightness and OLED light level.

2017 added active mitigation which prolongs the grace period by turning up the drive on used pixels so they remain the same intensity as others. Occasionally, you'll get reverse burn in from this from overcompensation, but that's more likely to happen from stress testing.

2018 models increased the size of the red subpixel so it wouldn't need to be driven as hard to produce the same light levels. This should help with red and yellow burn in since the red filter blocks the most light from the underlying white LED.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Gorson posted:

Thanks! This is still on btw. 65" is still $899.

Is the 65” 6 Series a decent buy at $899? I’ve been halfway watching for a 65, but I can wait a while too.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

eddiewalker posted:

Is the 65” 6 Series a decent buy at $899? I’ve been halfway watching for a 65, but I can wait a while too.

Target has it for 10% with their cartwheel offer:

https://cartwheel.target.com/o/tvs/-/246230

Target lists it for $930 so with the coupon its $830.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Green Gloves posted:

Target has it for 10% with their cartwheel offer:

https://cartwheel.target.com/o/tvs/-/246230

Target lists it for $930 so with the coupon its $830.

So pricematch bestbuy at target and use the coupon?

e: oh. Read the fine print.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

Just how big is the risk of burn-in for one of tee LG oleds? I play a few hours of fifa and madden every week and watch quite a bit of sports, all things with fairly consistent chirons or icons that stay on the entire time. I'm terrified of spending so much money and having it get ruined like that

I had the same paranoia you did about a year ago before I bought one and when the TV got here I basically stopped worrying. Just practice common sense TV habits (don't leave it on if you're not watching it, don't put it on eye-searing settings like Vivid or Sport, etc.) and you'll be fine. Not a hint of image retention that's been visible thus far and I also game on it quite a bit.

If you really want to be as proactive as possible just do things like making HUD elements transparent if given the option to mess with opacity in games, calibrate your TV to be accurate and appropriate for the light level in your TV room, and watch a variety of content to keep the cumulative effect of logo image retention at a minimum.

The thing is, all those things are probably unnecessary, but I personally just try to treat ALL my electronics well. There are people who watch nothing but news and Sports on their OLED for hours on Vivid settings and their TV is fine. The technology has had a few years of fine tuning and is not nearly as prone to burn in as plasmas, which people also generally were fine with.

Honestly, it's worth that paranoia, it's an incredible thing to behold and your games especially will look stunning. Go for it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
On the Rtings burnin test, it was something like 550 hour of the same image on the screen for burn in to start being SLIGHTLY noticeable on a screen where the image was all red. It’s an insane amount of time when you think of it like that.

But you also have people that complain about grey uniformity that I don’t notice. So who knows.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Where do you guys rent (streamed) 4K movies from? It looks like Amazon has them for streaming, but it's purchase only. I ain't spending $25 to watch Rampage with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

Is that pretty much the case across the board? Does Apple TV rent 'em?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Astro7x posted:

On the Rtings burnin test, it was something like 550 hour of the same image on the screen for burn in to start being SLIGHTLY noticeable on a screen where the image was all red. It’s an insane amount of time when you think of it like that.

But you also have people that complain about grey uniformity that I don’t notice. So who knows.

If I actually bothered going through the process of checking for image retention/uniformity I'm sure there would be some slight inconsistencies due to normal use but unless you're some kind of AV veteran with longterm experience you aren't going to notice that type of stuff during normal viewing.

I'd say the biggest problem with LG OLEDs that he might encounter (at least 2017 models) is that the Game mode forces Wide Color Gamut for some reason which looks absolutely awful (it's the difference between RDR2 on my Xbox One X looking borderline photorealistic versus simply good looking), but that can be solved by creating a PC profile for an input and just turning off all the post processing features to reduce input lag on one of the IF settings and it's functionally the same.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

smoobles posted:

Where do you guys rent (streamed) 4K movies from? It looks like Amazon has them for streaming, but it's purchase only. I ain't spending $25 to watch Rampage with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

Netflix has some 4K and HDR content, other than that I'm not sure.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

smoobles posted:

Yeah Apple has a lot of stuff in 4K, I think their rentals are 4K if they have the content in that format.

I didn’t realize you can’t rent 4K on amazon.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

smoobles posted:

AppleTV has quite a bit of content available in 4KHDR. I just rented Fallout the other night and it was probably the most impressive HDR picture I've seen in my limited use with it on my TV.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Astro7x posted:

Keep in mind it's cumulative. For example, if you watched something with a red ticker for 1 hour every night (like news) you could have burn in after a year and a half.

I don't think it's a huge problem, but it is something to be aware of.

smoobles posted:

Vudu and/or FandangoNow.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Vudu is great for renting 4k streams - good selection, decent price, supports DV and HDR10, quality streams. Amazon has 4k rentals but I don't even bother between the bad selection and not being able to filter purchase vs. rentals. Cheap route I go with for the most part is http://www.store-3d-blurayrental.com/, works like Gamefly/Netflix DVD where they mail out discs, little slower to get things out and back but not bad imo, and 9$ a month gets you 2 discs a month.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Going from 2016 to 2018 C series OLED, motion is much better and the uniformity is much better. And drat it is thinner.

Very happy I made the jump to sell my broken one and do the warranty claim. I won’t miss 3D.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

smoobles posted:

I don't know if its changed but the Apple/iTunes 4k stuff was generally a higher quality picture than what you could get from Netflix. Something about how iTunes and the Apple hardware was doing better encoding/decoding for the same bitrate.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

People generally rate picture quality as:

Vudu
Amazon
iTunes
Netflix

But it's all very close.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

And 4k disks above all else.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

GreenNight posted:

Yup, though honestly I find the audio difference to be far greater than the video for the most part. Lossless makes a huge difference in dynamic range.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Even then you still have the problem where a lot of movies are fake 4K and the only benefit you're getting really is HDR.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Not fully true.

2k DI is higher resolution than 1920x1080 frame on a blu-ray

1.33:1 (4:3)  /  2048x1536
1.66:1 (5:3)  /  2048x1229
1.77:1 (16:9)  /  2048x1152
1.85:1  /  2048x1107
2:1  /  2048x1024
2.35:1  /  2048x871

So, a 2k master has to be downscaled to present on 1080p. You lose 54 lines of vertical resolution at 2.35:1, 72 lines at 16:9. In all cases you lose 128 lines of horizontal resolution.

Not huge amounts to be sure, but there is more detail to be had even with a 2k master. WCG and HDR are the more compelling pieces though.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Not fully true.

2k DI is higher resolution than 1920x1080 frame on a blu-ray

1.33:1 (4:3)  /  2048x1536
1.66:1 (5:3)  /  2048x1229
1.77:1 (16:9)  /  2048x1152
1.85:1  /  2048x1107
2:1  /  2048x1024
2.35:1  /  2048x871

So, a 2k master has to be downscaled to present on 1080p. You lose 54 lines of vertical resolution at 2.35:1, 72 lines at 16:9. In all cases you lose 128 lines of horizontal resolution.

Not huge amounts to be sure, but there is more detail to be had even with a 2k master. WCG and HDR are the more compelling pieces though.

Whoa, I didn't know that. I wonder why tv manufacturers decided on 1080p tvs and not 1152p tvs.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Smoke, explosions, and particles are always gonna look like rear end streamed, even with HEVC by the look of it.

Godzilla is such a blurry mess because you always see him(?) behind plumes of smoke (because that was probably less expensive to render as VFX).

E: Regarding resolutions and aspect ratios, a lot of streaming platforms completely gently caress up formats like IMAX and pan and scan the poo poo out of it. Interstellar is a good example.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

qbert posted:

Whoa, I didn't know that. I wonder why tv manufacturers decided on 1080p tvs and not 1152p tvs.
the 1080 resoution [and 16:9] was from an ITU recommendation from 1993. I think TVs followed suit 10+ years later because when they started making high res flat panels video scalers will still expensive, inconsistent and slow

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've asked here before but. I have everything plugged into an Onkyo NR676, then ran into my 850E. Some issues with input selection. The tv only knows one thing is plugged into it, I can't deviate from that within the tv menus, I have to change inputs with the receiver. I wanted to use PIP just now but the tv can't use two different inputs from the receiver. Can I plug everything into the tv and just let arc handle it? Is that wise?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You know, if my C6 dies, it's going to be REALLY hard not to go with LG's new ultra short throw projector. 90" from 2" away and 120" from 7" away. Witchcraft.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bull3964 posted:

You know, if my C6 dies, it's going to be REALLY hard not to go with LG's new ultra short throw projector. 90" from 2" away and 120" from 7" away. Witchcraft.

Yeah it's crazy. I considered it for a minute, too. I might put it in my office.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I may have asked here long ago but it’s bothering me again: my KS8000 brightness keeps fluctuating even in almost entirely static scenes. This is most pronounced during Netflix 4K content (and never happens when playing games). I have ALL image correction and Eco settings off - dynamic contrast, etc. Absolutely every single setting that can be toggled is off. Customer support was no help and hours of browsing AV forums just led to other users with the same issue. Is there anything I can do besides selling it and getting a new TV? It ranges from distracting to completely unbearable. I’m happy to take a video if it seems like I’m crazy.

Edit: it’s most pronounced when white subtitles appear in a dark scene so it’s obviously some sort of hidden local auto-brightness setting.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I have this TV. Are you watching HDR videos? That sounds like it could be the brightness adjusting in HDR scenes. I think I've seen it referred to as brightness breathing on AVS. It can be annoying sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Find the thread for your TV on AVSForum. Those guys get pretty obsessive and if there’s a function doing that they’re bound to discuss it and try get to the bottom of it. Gut feeling? Service menu option.