Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yakuza 6 will be half off in today's flash sale. Not up yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
just got to the biggest yakuza 4 twist, nay, the biggest twist in yakuza history! there are two bobs!? guess that explains how he got between cities so fast in 0! :monocle:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I finally finished 0's story and what a wild ride that was. I really didn't like Majima's legendary fighting style until I realized that you can use it to stunlock bosses. Chug heatorade and you can keep them juggled in the corner while you slash them to ribbons.

Did Makoto seriously not put 2+2 together when Majima punches out those two punks? She knows he only has one eye and this guy drags off the doctor for a quick heart-to-heart to make sure she stays safe.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

And Tyler Too! posted:

I finally finished 0's story and what a wild ride that was. I really didn't like Majima's legendary fighting style until I realized that you can use it to stunlock bosses. Chug heatorade and you can keep them juggled in the corner while you slash them to ribbons.

Did Makoto seriously not put 2+2 together when Majima punches out those two punks? She knows he only has one eye and this guy drags off the doctor for a quick heart-to-heart to make sure she stays safe.

characters not recognizing other characters seems to be a yakuza series MO from what i can tell

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

And Tyler Too! posted:

Yeah, majima’s legendary is sort of a one trick pony, but boy what a trick.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah, majima’s legendary is sort of a one trick pony, but boy what a trick.

I dunno, I got enough mileage out of his counter stab for the bonus fight.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

widespread posted:

I dunno, I got enough mileage out of his counter stab for the bonus fight.

I used to know a little japanese, exactly enough to be dumb as all hell and obsess over a syllable i can't hear and wonder what he's saying. And I recognize that the first thing he's saying is "weak" like, yowai, but I can't tell if he's just like, dragging out that last syllable? or saying "na" on the end? Maybe that's a kansai ne? You're weak, aren't you? Maybe he's saying yowai yo? You are weak, exclamation mark?

I had other guesses, I forget them now, but god his just hang dog posture as he slides in from off camera to call someone pathetic for getting stabbed in the goddamn lung was beautiful to watch, every time. It's also neat that with only one eyebrow to work with he gets across more disdain than I can manage with two.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

My friend who convinced me to grab Yakuza 0 told me from here on out Kiryu is the main event. I want to play this whole series now but I've been spoiled by how fun it is to play as Majima. Kiryu is a dumb brute with the personality of a rock.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

And Tyler Too! posted:

My friend who convinced me to grab Yakuza 0 told me from here on out Kiryu is the main event. I want to play this whole series now but I've been spoiled by how fun it is to play as Majima. Kiryu is a dumb brute with the personality of a rock.

in the zombie spinoff game dead souls majima is one of the four playable characters.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Finally managed to die on Y0 Legend to that goddamn Amon fight when the chopper dropped its objects and I happened to be directly beneath it when it did so I got stunlocked to death by bouncing chairs.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

And Tyler Too! posted:

Majima features in all the games but going from his 0 characterization to the original is a bit of a whiplash inducer.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
drat it, FotNS never goes on sale on the EU shop, and I forgot my US PSN account password :doh:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

in the zombie spinoff game dead souls majima is one of the four playable characters.

I would say don't tell people to play Dead Souls but anyone who thinks Kiryu has no personality deserves what they get

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Honest Thief posted:

drat it, FotNS never goes on sale on the EU shop, and I forgot my US PSN account password :doh:

It is reduced but down to the price you would pay for it on say Amazon or in a store :negative::

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

First sales for newish games on PSN are always 'price you'd pay for a new physical copy'

Well apart from Fallout 76 but physical copies are probably that cheap too now lol

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Merry Christmas! Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise is $20 on Amazon!

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I was gonna wait until I finished K2 to get FotNS, but that's an undeniably good price, thanks for the heads-up!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

And Tyler Too! posted:

Nani?!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

And Tyler Too! posted:

Mods?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1077602071795294208?s=19

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

In lost paradise I want to buy parts for this dumb car for a race but nobody sells them. The junk store owner sells armor, only. This gamefaqs guide says to get steel wire at the "north plains junk shop" but I can only find a baseball diamond in the north plans. And it says to get a fine spring at the western highlands junk shop but I can only find the village there and they want me to just enter the race already.

I don't want to grind this dumb car minigame picking up junk hoping to get 24 steel wires in a row. Where are these out-of-the-city junk shops?
E: oh it's the in City shops but I have to bartend more

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 26, 2018

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
There any news yet for the Kiwamis on Steam? I need more wholesome punchmans in my life.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'm real tempted to just scoop up Kiwami 1 & 2 for my PS4. I can't wait forever.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Capn Beeb posted:

There any news yet for the Kiwamis on Steam? I need more wholesome punchmans in my life.
Not yet.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

And Tyler Too! posted:

4 and 5 have even more playable characters than 0. Including one who's important to Majima's backstory, and one who's similar to Majima's Y0 portrayal.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

How do I merciful execution? It says sway then press circle. I don't know what sway is. It says to sway attack, I have to dodge, and then hit triangle. I can't do this. Nothing happens. But if it did then I would hit circle and then that would do something?

If sway is just dodging an attack that doesn't work and nothing happens. I'm stumped.

e: oh that's it? that's it. Okay then. Alright. That was easy. I just wish they said "sway with x and then..." it had me looking at every single move menu over and over and over again trying to remember when someone taught me the secret technique named sway.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Dec 26, 2018

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

This one has been a long time coming for me: Yakuza 0 platinum complete!

The only remaining US-released Yakuza Studio platinums left for me are Kiwami 1 and 2. I'll probably tackle Kiwami 1 in the early Spring and blaze through 2 in the summer before Judgment comes out. I'm probably not going to re-do 3 through 5 with the remasters, because goddamnit I have the World First for Yakuza 3 PS3 and I did my time in that!

I'm glad I finally came back to replay Yakuza 0. When it came out originally, I had tried to burn through the Yakuza 5 platinum first but ended up having to give up when I reached the Coliseum completion points and my frustration with 5 (which I think is the worst main series game) bled over into 0. I enjoyed 0 a lot when it came out, but I had already been burnt out hard by 5 so I ended up not enjoying it as much as I thought I would have. Over a year later, after Yakuza 6 and Lost Paradise, I decided to go back and finish the platinum and yeah, this game still rules and I'm pretty confident in saying it's the best game in this franchise pound-for-pound. Maybe Kiwami 2 can surpass it given that I love 2 a lot and Dragon Engine is cool, but for now I'm really glad I replayed 0 and I'll trudge my way through Kiwami 1 at a later date.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Finally getting into the Yakuza series with 0, and holy crap, the writing, story, and substories of this game are incredible.

And all of them are this good? I'm giddy with excitement knowing I have so much more gaming greatness ahead of me.

Also the beginning of Chapter 3 was one of my favorite introductions to a character ever.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Please reserve your final judgment for after you've experienced some of the later plot developments, but they certainly are all like that.

(I've been rapt with attention at every single stupid revelation, for the record)

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

theblackw0lf posted:

Finally getting into the Yakuza series with 0, and holy crap, the writing, story, and substories of this game are incredible.

And all of them are this good? I'm giddy with excitement knowing I have so much more gaming greatness ahead of me.

Also the beginning of Chapter 3 was one of my favorite introductions to a character ever.

Yes the entire series is amazing. Kiwami is a much weaker entry, mind, but they’re all worth playing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

man nurse posted:

Yes the entire series is amazing. Kiwami is a much weaker entry, mind, but they’re all worth playing.

On the plus side, Kiwami is pretty short, relatively, and it doesn't have anything like that real estate or hostess club grind to keep you in it for hours and hours.

I don't consider it a bad game, but it's for sure my least favorite of the three i've played (0, kiwami, kiwami 2) and I was very ready to put it down by the time it ended. And K2 is a real treat to play, following the other two.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

theblackw0lf posted:

0 is one of the best, but they're all good. It's reasonable to expect some-to-lots of entertaining side activities and endearing substories. The main story is usually complex-to-bonkers with manly men doing manly things (including crying manly tears on occasion). Also, the soundtracks slap.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

cant decide if this early saejima bit in yakuza 4 is well done nuanced writing or just a full on creepshow.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I got y6 as a Christmas present and haven't played 3-5. I was going to wait but gently caress it, it's Kiryu time. Is there anything I need to know about 3-5 that 6 won't tell me ?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

I got y6 as a Christmas present and haven't played 3-5. I was going to wait but gently caress it, it's Kiryu time. Is there anything I need to know about 3-5 that 6 won't tell me ?

6 should have a past games recap for each one if its anything like 2-5.

if that fails, youtube? think some people make 7 hour movies out of them these days.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Vikar Jerome posted:

6 should have a past games recap for each one if its anything like 2-5.

if that fails, youtube? think some people make 7 hour movies out of them these days.

There's a bit in the beginning that will explain enough as long as you know that a) Kiryu had been raising a girl named Haruka and b) Kiryu runs an orphanage. The fine details of the Tojo clan aren't so important in 6.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The more you love Kiryu the better 6 is imho

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

also, mastershakeman, your missing out on top quality yakuza moments and build up. getting really in saejima's story after all that build up in 0. even if one moment made me squint at the screen.

get the ps3 versions, time waits for no one!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah, like people have been saying, it recaps everything you need to know. Most of the supporting cast for the majority of the game are new characters (and they’re great)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

does Daisaku Kuze ever make a return or is he done after 0

that'd be sad :(