Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Kinda overwhelmed by Starlink. Just got off the first planet and there's just so much to do. I'm enjoying just flying around and shooting poo poo however so I think I'll stick to that.

Trying to not get too sucked in. I really need to wrap up at least the sidequests in Octopath. Hit a wall with one boss in an optional dungeon, and a bit annoyed about moving forward, but I'll get around it soon enough.

Dont bother with Octopath sidequests, theyre just kind of there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Barudak posted:

Dont bother with Octopath sidequests, theyre just kind of there

I like them. I liked the games writing for the most part. It was surprisingly down-to-earth, given most JRPGs, and it was refreshing. The themes of exploration and journeying kept coming and it's appreciated. I'm starting to think I probably won't do the post-game given what people say and because it seems to ruin the more "just see the world" vibe the game generally has.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Ciaphas posted:

Run, you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!

Say hello, Mr. Rag.
"Hello, Mr. Rag."

That game rules, but every time I try to play it I get bored these days. Too many other options, so I'm fine leaving it as a good memory of a good game.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Barudak posted:

Dont bother with Octopath

Spellman
May 31, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Kinda overwhelmed by Starlink. Just got off the first planet and there's just so much to do. I'm enjoying just flying around and shooting poo poo however so I think I'll stick to that.

Definitely feels this way at first. I'm playing like a completionist, but most roads lead to mods, so do whatever you want. The mods will help in fights, especially the space ones

There might be an overarching mega-sidequest to control as much of the planetary system under the Starlink name, though

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1076963017462448128?s=21

Ubisoft will be paying people to take this game from them in a another month or two.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1076963017462448128?s=21

Ubisoft will be paying people to take this game from them in a another month or two.

fyi for any Canadians, the Best Buy Boxing Day flyer (starting tomorrow) will have Starlink StarFox box for CAD $29.99 (~ USD $22).

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

That the version where you cant to all the quests cause you dont get the weapons?

20 might be a trigger price for a starfox toy though!

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Now drop the price on the digital deluxe you cowards!

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

PyPy posted:

I'll second the opinion of Mario + rabbids being great. It's my second favorite title on the system.

Purchased. Into the Breach is great too but looking for some variety.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Bombadilillo posted:

That the version where you cant to all the quests cause you dont get the weapons?

It's a very cool toy, and the game actually being good was a nice bonus.

Fair warning that it is true that you're locked out of some things (some enemies are weak to certain elements and without buying more add-ons you just can't use them) but it didn't have a huge impact on my overall enjoyment.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Spellman posted:

Definitely feels this way at first. I'm playing like a completionist, but most roads lead to mods, so do whatever you want. The mods will help in fights, especially the space ones

There might be an overarching mega-sidequest to control as much of the planetary system under the Starlink name, though

My personal "completionist" plan is to explore everything and fill out the in-game encyclopedia. Don't know how many fetch quests I'll do to upgrade sites if it's unrelated to that. Moving in the game is a real pleasure.

I do think it's kind of dumb you're always in a ship though, it means the size and scale of the things you see on land are enormous creatures and plants and buildings.

bushisms.txt posted:

Now drop the price on the digital deluxe you cowards!

Probably not the answer you want but it's 50% off in Europe. I eventually settled on Standard Version plus a Weapon pack with two of the weapons I got in the Deluxe version because I know I won't be flying in anything but the Arwing or as anyone else but Fox. Still a pity the lasers don't level up.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Well, they managed to hit the price point I was looking for with Starlink. Guess I own the game now?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I was doing some math and I figured out what the Switch is missing. A new full fledged Chibi Robo game. What the gently caress Nintendo why do you neglect Chibi

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Kirios posted:

Well, they managed to hit the price point I was looking for with Starlink. Guess I own the game now?

:same: :hfive:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I don't know anything about this game, but it looks cool

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It's hard to imagine physical edition of Starlink going lower than $19.99 until it's literally in the bargain bin. I picked up a box at Target today and thought about it. They had it for $34.99 with a free pilot or weapon pack. Anyway, thing is much bigger than I thought it would be.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
The only thing I’d change about Mario + Rabbids is that I wish Mario wasn’t required to be in your party. Let me experiment with more team load outs, Nintendo.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I was doing some math and I figured out what the Switch is missing. A new full fledged Chibi Robo game. What the gently caress Nintendo why do you neglect Chibi

Didn't they make that mediocre 3ds platformer that did bad and decide because that did poorly that no one liked/wanted more Chibi Robo?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Circle Nine posted:

Didn't they make that mediocre 3ds platformer that did bad and decide because that did poorly that no one liked/wanted more Chibi Robo?

It was really bad

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

doingitwrong posted:

The only thing I’d change about Mario + Rabbids is that I wish Mario wasn’t required to be in your party. Let me experiment with more team load outs, Nintendo.

Ugh. Yeah 100%. The coop missions and stuff dont have this restriction

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bombadilillo posted:

Do it, the game is pretty good but the Arwing itself owns. But yeah, you can't 100% the game with just those two weapons. It's bullshit.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

Do it, the game is pretty good but the Arwing itself owns. But yeah, you can't 100% the game with just those two weapons. It's bullshit.

Man other ships are like $30

I dont care about 100%ing things so I'll probably get it and just pretend it's a starfox game.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

I don't know anything about this game, but it looks cool

The first one, Day We Found Earth, is a cute little point and click adventure. Pretty on rails but I loved the story. I've got Rocket of Whispers on my wishlist atm, so I may wait for this version.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Gripweed posted:

It was really bad

No, it wasn’t. It was mediocre at worst. The amiibo was definitely the best part of the package though.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

SeANMcBAY posted:

No, it wasn’t. It was mediocre at worst. The amiibo was definitely the best part of the package though.

There was a level where if you miss a jump early on you won't have enough coins to finish the level, but you don't find out until you get to the very end.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

doingitwrong posted:

This and the inter battle wandering around soured me on the game a bit. Didn't keep me from beating it of course but if they do a sequel I hope they dial that back.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Horn posted:

This and the inter battle wandering around soured me on the game a bit. Didn't keep me from beating it of course but if they do a sequel I hope they dial that back.

An SNES overworld map would be ideal. But I respect them trying to have it IN that areas and part of it becomes a level. Kinda weird.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
It's kinda amusing/sad watching SNK Heroines slowly get discounted by a few cents more every day on Deku Deals as (presumably) Amazon tries to clear out back stock.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

mandatory lesbian posted:

Do you have a particular issue you like lobster, I never really read ninty power unless they were doing Pokemon issues, so I missed out on a lot of them.

OK, I'm home and good to go! Let's do this!

Ironically, the first issue I pulled out of my pile was #69 (Feb '95). Nice. It's got Mega Man X2 on the cover and promises first looks at Donkey Kong Land with an in-depth preview of Kirby's Dream Course and Lion King, plus a 16 page strategy guide to Super Punch Out. That actually is nice!

The next one I randomly pulled out was #76 (Sept '95). Killer Instinct on the cover - pretty rad. Exclusive preview of DKC2 and in-depth looks at Doom, Castlevania: Dracula X, and Chrono Trigger. I'm loving pumped looking at that cover tbh.

Issue #85 (June '96) looks like the launch of the N64. 31 pages on Mario 64 plus Blast Corps, Pilotwings 64, Shadows of the Empire, Goldeneye 007, and Cruis'n USA. Articles about DragonHeart and Sword of Hope. Plus a contest where you could play baseball with Ken Griffey Jr. - remember him?

Let's go later and see if we can dig up anything good:

Issue #170 (Jul/Aug '03) looks relatively decent - F-Zero GX on the cover! In addition to that we've got MGS: Twin Snakes, Enter the Matrix, Wario World, Dragon Ball Z, Soul Calibur II, Sonic Adventure DX, an E3 wrap-up, and even the introduction of the Game Boy Player.

The final issue of course hits you right in the feels.

Let's go earlier:

Looking at issue #53 (Oct '93), with Super Empire Strikes Back on the cover and coverage of Mortal Kombat... Double whammy, it also covers Flintstones: Surprise at Dinosaur's Peak! Goddamn. (And Lemmings on GameBoy and Super Bomberman and Wing Commander on SNES!)

Issue # 34 (March '92) covers Link to the Past and implores readers to vote on the "Nesters." It also covers (regular) Empire Strikes Back, M.C. Kids, Mega Man II on GameBoy, and Lemmings on Super Nintendo.

Dude, this was literally just me pulling issues out at random. I could go on and on. I'm collecting this because I genuinely love the magazine - almost every issue has something (often more than one thing) worth reading and it's so great to just grab one off the shelf and take a glass of wine and soak in the tub. I genuinely love video game history though so if you don't I don't recommend getting a whole bunch. If you have a few favorite games, though, it's fun to get those issues.

I have always loved to read something, think, "Oh, that sounds like a cool game, I wonder how much it would cost to add to my colle- oh. It never came out in the US." It cracks me up every time because it's like this condensed 10 second life story of every kid reading the magazine back in the day. But sometimes I find something that's reviewing really well in NP, reviewed really well when it came out, and yet is super obscure today and thus super cheap. That has actually happened with of all things a licensed M&M game I have somewhere. It cost me $2 so nbd.

Anyway, yeah, I literally just grab issues at random and read them so I don't necessarily have a "favorite.' But it's always a good time and brings back happy memories.:love:

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

I thought it was a good challange. Didnt fail super often, but had to think and plan to get high ranks.

It's odd when it first came out there was a lot of chat that it was TOO hard. Which I wonder the ven diagram of people wanting wacky rabbids vs wanting a strategy game?

Still i think it's a great game and i like it better than xcom for transparency alone.

Yeah, I meant to say high ranks is a genuine challenge but until world 3 even high rank is easy. After that it's challenging and really, really good. Even before that it's really fun. I was really surprised because I hated rabbids (and still do in fact). The only downside is that you're forced to take at least one rabbid in your team.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My first issue of Nintendo Power was the Super Castlevania 4 issue. I was probably 7 or so at the time and I remember going to what used to be a K's Merchandise (dunno if they had that anywhere else) and I remember going to my parents' friends' house after picking it up. But that's how powerful that memory is, because I can still recall it 27ish years later.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I was a late bloomer - My first was the one with Paper Mario on the cover. Love it, but I wish I’d taken better care of em as a kid.

I still have maybe 3 dozen of my old ones. Pretty sure they’re mostly still intact.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

So my modded left joycon is fun to play with but the battery isn't getting any charge at all. Guess I've gotta open it up and reset the ribbon cables again. Fuuuuuck. Guacamelee 2 with a dpad has been fun.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The Nintendo Power promo videos they had were the most hype poo poo ever and definitely hosed up my child brain. The pokemon one and the star fox ones I remember in particular. I must have watched those a thousand times each. I didn't need anything as bad as I needed Pokemon.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

So Mario Xcom is pretty fun even if the aesthetic is a bit jarring for me.

Made me realize that I would kill to get Shadowrun Returns or Hong Kong on the switch. But for now I’m liking this, thanks thread.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Starlink has a sale AND a massive content update?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I got Smash and my friends and I played it for probably five hours straight. It's been over a decade since I've done that. :feelsgood:

content
Feb 13, 2014

I’ve bought every smash game since melee, and could never get into them too much. Finally switched around the controls and turned off stick jump, and I’m having a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Lemming posted:

The Nintendo Power promo videos they had were the most hype poo poo ever and definitely hosed up my child brain. The pokemon one and the star fox ones I remember in particular. I must have watched those a thousand times each. I didn't need anything as bad as I needed Pokemon.

THIS...is the RUMBLE PAK!