Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh hey, that Aggretsuko special went up. It's slight but cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
So I'm midway through my Grimm rewatch and there's one thing about this show that's starting to bug me: dead bodies. I didn't notice this when I first watched the show but now that I'm watching on a 55" TV it's quite startling.

The bodies look so, so bad. Like, extremely low budget slasher bad. Sometimes it's clearly the actual actors playing dead but most of the time the bodies just look like poor quality dummies, like they're something someone asked the prop department to throw together as an afterthought.

How did they have the budget to make the CG (even though it's always brief) look so good but didn't have the budget to make the bodies look good? They barely even look like people. :confused:

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Not a total surprise about Z Nation but still a bummer. It would have been nice to get one more season to wrap things up. Maybe we'll get cameos in the Black Summer prequel series.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

They just said they're putting out a bunch more seasons.

:getin:

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Watching Friday Night Lights for the first time and Riggins' angst tugs at the heart.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

...! posted:

How did they have the budget to make the CG (even though it's always brief) look so good but didn't have the budget to make the bodies look good? They barely even look like people. :confused:

I suspect that's your answer right there. Not a whole lotta money going round.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Current Z Nation badguy is Chris Hardwick's wife, who's great, great grandfather was that no good cock sucker George Hearst.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Rocksicles posted:

Current Z Nation badguy is Chris Hardwick's wife, who's great, great grandfather was that no good cock sucker George Hearst.

And whose mother is Patty Hearst, of Stockholm Syndrome fame.

That must've been an interesting first Thanksgiving dinner.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Reign Of Pain posted:

Anyone watch that Netflix film Bird Box with Sandra Bullock yet?

I watched it. I wouldn't recommend it over anything else, but it's not a terrible watch. The last act of the movie is it's weakest part since, as with any apocalyptic scenario movie, the cast starts to dwindle as the story progresses and the movie starts to lean even more on the remaining actors delivering the emotional beats, but in this case the actor is Sandra Bullock so you can imagine how that goes.

With that said there was one moment in particular where they do a reveal that was very well directed, edited and accompanied by the soundtrack that actually made me say "Oh, crap" aloud. Just "Oh, crap" though, not "Oh, crap!" since most of the characters are walking tropes so you don't get very emotionally invested.

The movie also does the smart thing of not outright showing you what the "creatures" look like, which in these kind of movies always results in bad CGI completely ruining any serious tone out of the movie

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Dec 22, 2018

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Rocksicles posted:

I'm watching Tidelands, it's good? maybe, it's superwierd

Chris Hemsworth's wife is smoking hot.

I think it's too long. It gets draggy with the protagonist going back and forth between the town and the Tidelander village over and over again with not much happening each time.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lycus posted:

I think it's too long. It gets draggy with the protagonist going back and forth between the town and the Tidelander village over and over again with not much happening each time.

They dressed the QLD pigs in khaki, making them only slightly more evil than they already are.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have not seen enough programmes to have a list of favourites for the year so by default my favourite new series’s of 2018 is Young Offenders, which my brother, who enjoys comedies, recommended to me. I don’t really watch many comedies, but there’s lots of laughs to be had with that series.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I started watching Narcos and one thing I really noticed is how weak Escobar's sweater game is:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What blows me away is that the actor had to learn Spanish in a few months to play the role. He's Brazilian.

He also had to get fat but that was probably fun.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wheat Loaf posted:

I have not seen enough programmes to have a list of favourites for the year so by default my favourite new series’s of 2018 is Young Offenders, which my brother, who enjoys comedies, recommended to me. I don’t really watch many comedies, but there’s lots of laughs to be had with that series.

Yesss it’s real good. They just did a Christmas special which erred a bit on the typical ‘more sentimental bits than gags’ but was still good.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This is your reminder that there are just 10 days left to get your top 10 rankings in for our Poll of the Year thread :supaburn:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

What blows me away is that the actor had to learn Spanish in a few months to play the role.

To be fair, most of the dialogue seems to consists of two men shouting the word puta to each other.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

LividLiquid posted:

I can see your heart's definitely in the right place, on this, so I don't want you to feel called out, but it's transgender. Also to avoid, not for you, but for others watching, "a transgender."

My sincerest apologies.

Edit: that phrase sounds naturally sarcastic, doesn't it? I really am sorry and appreciate you correcting me so I hopefully don't make that mistake again and offend someone or spread some ignorance.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 22, 2018

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Mu Zeta posted:

"I'M EATING THIS WHOLE CAKE FOR MY ART, KAREN! BACK OFF"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I want to get paid to eat 60 chicken mcnuggets

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I want to get paid to eat 60 chicken mcnuggets

Get a feeder daddy/momma

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rarity posted:

This is your reminder that there are just 10 days left to get your top 10 rankings in for our Poll of the Year thread :supaburn:

I made my post because of that thread, but didn’t want to post it there because it would not be very good for everyone else to have 10 show lists and then I only posted the one thing!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Mu Zeta posted:

What blows me away is that the actor had to learn Spanish in a few months to play the role. He's Brazilian.

Just to be clear, :airquote: fat :airquote: on ~TV~ means that he probably gets to be normal body weight. :shrug:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Chris James 2 posted:

:rip: Z Nation. Crew announced on Periscope after tonight's episode that next week is the last one, weren't renewed :smith:

That sucks so much, Z Nation is such a great show in a bad but completely ernest way. I wonder if The Asylum own the rights and could maybe do some garbage movies.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Just to be clear, :airquote: fat :airquote: on ~TV~ means that he probably gets to be normal body weight. :shrug:

:goonsay:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This season of Travelers hosed me up. Is that it? Much respect for going out with the ballsy ending of killing the whole planet after watching beloved characters die of radiation poisoning or suicide and then making it so the whole show didn't happen.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The haircuts in this show are wild:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

zoux posted:

This season of Travelers hosed me up. Is that it? Much respect for going out with the ballsy ending of killing the whole planet after watching beloved characters die of radiation poisoning or suicide and then making it so the whole show didn't happen.

Holy gently caress I just finished. Man that's a goooooood show.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

They just said they're putting out a bunch more seasons.

To be clear; Hulu announced they've bought seasons 3-6. They're not making anything.

Season 6 is coming out this Christmas in Canada and seasons 3-6 will be available on Hulu around the same time.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What's some of the best pulp fiction on TV in the last decade? Killing Eve comes to mind for me, just nailing everything that's great about the stuff but also being stylish, sharp, and incredibly well-written.

e: Hap & Leonard?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 24, 2018

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

feedmyleg posted:

What's some of the best pulp fiction on TV in the last decade? Killing Eve comes to mind for me, just nailing everything that's great about the stuff but also being stylish, sharp, and incredibly well-written.

e: Hap & Leonard?

I really liked Hap & Leonard....Anyone know if/when season 3 is gonna be on Netflix?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oh poo poo. I just watched the first episode of The Americans. I felt like I just watched an entire season. That was incredible.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

feedmyleg posted:

Oh poo poo. I just watched the first episode of The Americans. I felt like I just watched an entire season. That was incredible.

:getin:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

feedmyleg posted:

I'm v jealous

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

If the first episode grabbed you like that you're in for a treat

Is Tusk in that one? The show has these great set pieces set to iconic songs from the era, there's one with Eminence Front that owns

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't care about 80s music or the 80s in general and I still love that show.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't care about 80s music or the 80s in general

How is that possible?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The 80s just seems like everything is sweaty and greasy to me

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Mu Zeta posted:

The 80s just seems like everything is sweaty and greasy to me

This is not incorrect. Air conditioning wasn’t everywhere, yet. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

This is not incorrect. Air conditioning wasn’t everywhere, yet. :colbert:
Many had not yet called Sears, though they promised they would yesterday.