Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Gonkish posted:

I lucked out with Saryn and got the parts relatively quickly... and it was still a slog that I'm glad I never have to do again. Kela is just an annoying, boring fight.

See I don't get this. I love Kela, she's like the one genuinely well-designed boss in the entire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

The Kela de Thaym is a good fight you should learn it for sorties. Challenges are also cool and good. Also that dude arguing about Titania's vacuum is one dude against literally everyone else on the planet, gently caress him.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

See I don't get this. I love Kela, she's like the one genuinely well-designed boss in the entire game.

The drop chance for some of Saryn's stuff is low, and the fight takes a long time (relatively) even when done correctly. I think the main issue is that you have to go do the arena thing again for more points before you can run the boss again, so by the time you only need 1 part you are generally running 2 stages for every attempt

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
If it was just running Keyla it wouldn't bother me at all, she's not a particularly hard boss.

It's having to grind out the goddamn points every time I want to run it that sucks.

super sweet best pal posted:

223 grind is even worse but you get a miniature Arca Plasmor from it. Though now that Vox amps are a thing you could probably farm those parts and just grab the prism from Onkko.

See I'll actually probably be pretty okay with farming up poo poo in Valis. It's laid out to actually be fun. The map is more fun to move through, and when I want to break up the monotony I can just hit up a quest guy and possibly get more of what I'm looking for from the reward table. In Eidelon it's an active detriment to ever pick up a quest for Wisps because you need hundreds to do anything and you'd be better off just running the lap. Toroids on the other hand are a drop from regular enemies, so bringing a Nekros means getting at least a couple from fighting on top of a possible reward.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 24, 2018

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
My favorite thing about the Vallis is that smashing random crates will give you fish parts and ores, so you can eventually collect enough materials to build something even if you never fish or mine.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Avulsion posted:

My favorite thing about the Vallis is that smashing random crates will give you fish parts and ores, so you can eventually collect enough materials to build something even if you never fish or mine.
I actually really like the way the new fishing works, specifically the secondary hotspot bit. I got a resource booster the other day while the wife was out and ran around solo for a while. I can see how it would get ugh if you had to do it too often though.

Mining is also a lot easier now, especially on console. Haven't done any huntin' yet though.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Hmmm. Early reviews of Baruuk are disappointing. I was looking forward to a punchy monk man, but apparently is 4 is just kinda useless.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's not some 'weird meta' as much as it is 'making your energy drops actually last'

when i started using pets pretty much nearly full-time i actually noticed i had a lot more energy sitting around to grab because it wasn't getting absorbed the moment i spent the tiniest amount on a skill, lmao. the guy is kind of a dickhead on certain subjects and there's a reason why i watch a few people instead of just him, but i'll never get why some people seem to want to go out of their way to misrepresent the thing he's brought up for weeks ever since the change was hinted at. (not aiming this at the posters i quoted, by the way)

de could actually satisfy everyone and make it a setting to toggle the vacuum to a lower amount or off entirely, but i'm not holding my breath on that

Okay, that makes more sense. I'm either desparately smashing crates for energy or have energy coming out my bum, never anything in between, it seems.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I actually really like the way the new fishing works, specifically the secondary hotspot bit. I got a resource booster the other day while the wife was out and ran around solo for a while. I can see how it would get ugh if you had to do it too often though.

Mining is also a lot easier now, especially on console. Haven't done any huntin' yet though.

Secondary hotspot?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Secondary hotspot?

Unlike Cetus specific fish aren't gated behind hotspots. Venus hotspots are just "increased spawnrates for rarer fish" so things like Charamotes and Synathids will spawn whether or not there's a hotspot, but a hotspot will make them more common.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Flytrap posted:

Hmmm. Early reviews of Baruuk are disappointing. I was looking forward to a punchy monk man, but apparently is 4 is just kinda useless.

loving false. Play him like exalted blade Excalibur once you lose restraint

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

hup posted:

loving false. Play him like exalted blade Excalibur once you lose restraint

He does enormously less damage than Exalted Blade Excalibur, sadly.

They should fix that ASAP. There's no reason why Baruuk's 4 should do so much less damage for so much more effort.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

That’s fair; I haven’t compared numbers, but I’ve been having a blast with him. His powers are all useful and work together

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Apparently he can utterly dominate missions into the like, 60's or so, but once the armor scaling starts ramping up his 4 just can't really hurt people anymore.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if people are going to judge him purely on his 4 and not his loving wildly powerful other skills then no wonder they're being weird about him

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

And Tyler Too! posted:

Unlike Cetus specific fish aren't gated behind hotspots. Venus hotspots are just "increased spawnrates for rarer fish" so things like Charamotes and Synathids will spawn whether or not there's a hotspot, but a hotspot will make them more common.
I actually meant the bar that pops up after you hit them, where you have to hit the red hotspot. It feels really satisfying compared to Cetus. Plus you don't have to dick around with 3 different rods.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Johnny Joestar posted:

if people are going to judge him purely on his 4 and not his loving wildly powerful other skills then no wonder they're being weird about him

Yeah I mean literally all of them are useful, but if your deal is I MUST GET THE MOST DAMAGE, I can see why someone might scoff that he’s not Saryn

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
There is one complaint about Baruuk that keeps coming up that just sounds stupid. People say that his knives are counter productive since why would you ever want to disarm them and give up damage resistance?

And I'm just like...because he's made of paper and 90% DR on him is still gonna murder him if he gets hit? And because disarming is 100% DR via not letting them shoot you anymore.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

I have loads of fun with him, but I’m honestly unsure how to build him

Like, would he benefit from an umbral build, or is he so fragile it wouldn’t matter?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

So i think im generally done unlocking the whole star chart/quests (all i have left are specific quests for specific frames) and generally comfortable doing sorties, index, and onslaught. Which of the open world sections should i start focusing on/what goal should i set? I know they involve alot of grinding so i wanna try to focus on one locations or tackle one goal at a time.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

hup posted:

I have loads of fun with him, but I’m honestly unsure how to build him

Like, would he benefit from an umbral build, or is he so fragile it wouldn’t matter?

probably not, with everything being %-based a low pool to work with is not going to provide the stats desired when all is said and done. a lot of his strength comes from the absurd amount of crowd control and stuff like the evade, most of which doesn't need umbral intensify to truly shine and can probably do well with boosts from normal mods.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

hup posted:

Yeah I mean literally all of them are useful, but if your deal is I MUST GET THE MOST DAMAGE, I can see why someone might scoff that he’s not Saryn

He doesn’t need to be Saryn but right now his exalted weapon is kinda poo poo compared to even Excal and Valkyr who both don’t have any ramp up time like he does.

I don’t expect the guy to map wipe like Saryn but he should at LEAST be punching as hard as a Chromatic Blade Excal.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
baruuk's pretty weird because he's supposed to be defense oriented but his defensive powers aren't as good as what other frames have. he and garuda both need a lot of work.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Even if the frame itself ends up being good on the strength of its utility, damage abilities shouldn't functionally be empty spaces on your skill list in high-level content. It's lame.

Especially if your warframe's concept is "charge up a patience bar then go berserk."

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ughhhh posted:

So i think im generally done unlocking the whole star chart/quests (all i have left are specific quests for specific frames) and generally comfortable doing sorties, index, and onslaught. Which of the open world sections should i start focusing on/what goal should i set? I know they involve alot of grinding so i wanna try to focus on one locations or tackle one goal at a time.

Both open world maps offer some really good rewards, but the tiers at which you can get stuff doesn't necessarily mean you have to grind out just one.

I would start with Fortuna, grab the entry level mining laser and fishing spear, then jump over to plains. The Vallis laser will let you safely ignore the plains ones and you can get plenty of minerals from the start. From there I would unlock the quills (very quick) and ask for a ride to capture a couple Teralysts. That'll let you craft the basic 111 amp. From there I'd jump back to Venus and just grind out the awesome kitguns and mastery Moas. I wouldn't stress over Orb fights though, as getting everything you need from those bounties is going to be hella grindy. From there, I'd spend some time on the plains crafting Zaws, as they're stupid powerful. Really as long as you don't stress over the arcanes from plains, the grind is too terrible.

Oh, and I guess if you start with venus, you can get the K-drive to make farming up an archwing launcher easier from plains.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Captain Oblivious posted:

He doesn’t need to be Saryn but right now his exalted weapon is kinda poo poo compared to even Excal and Valkyr who both don’t have any ramp up time like he does.

I don’t expect the guy to map wipe like Saryn but he should at LEAST be punching as hard as a Chromatic Blade Excal.

This is a weird take.
WHY does it have to do as much damage as Excal?

Excal is a damage frame, Baruuk is an Evasion tank. The fact that he can use an exalted weapon (that is faster and wider than Excal), has a cheap way to be Immortal, maybe the best disarm and a persistent slow/sleep is incredible.

But yeah, because his weapon isn't as good as a damage frame he must be bad.

Gimme a break.

Edit: I was being snarky but I've been playing a lot of Baruuk in EOS. You can keep the Evasion up with all the big punching. Slot Rage so that you regen energy while attacking, stop attacking to erode your restraint and keep on blasting fools.
His punches are like huge shotgun blasts that wreck shop. I love him.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 24, 2018

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

This is a weird take.
WHY does it have to do as much damage as Excal?

Excal is a damage frame, Baruuk is an Evasion tank. The fact that he can use an exalted weapon (that is faster and wider than Excal), has a cheap way to be Immortal, maybe the best disarm and a persistent slow/sleep is incredible.

But yeah, because his weapon isn't as good as a damage frame he must be bad.

Gimme a break.

Because otherwise the ability might as well not exist at higher levels, and his survivability is not enough to recommend him over other more survivable frames. If you’re going to give him an exalted weapon that requires charge up time, it probably should not then be completely useless in higher level content when multiple other exalted weapons that require zero charge up time aren’t.

Also I’ll be frank, I don’t buy into the idea that “damage frame” is a useful category. To the extent that any frame deals damage, it should be useful damage.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm doing EOS with him without issues. Did you put mods in his fists?

Excals blade costs energy to keep up, the blades are kinda slow but has high damage. It's pretty great.

Baruuk's requires you to erode his Restraint which is piss easy. Slot range to increase the circumference of his #1. You can get it to 360 degrees. You can keep this activated while also having #4 on. This means you never have to put your weapon away.
The attacks are fast, wide and hit pretty hard.

He's a weird but awesome frame. Play more and you might like him.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
My only complaint about Baruuk is that Desert Wind is kind of slow, so it makes it a little less fun to use than the chaos of Berserker/Arcane Strike Chromatic Blade. Even Primed Fury doesn't do enough and I'm not sure Arcane Strike even works. It's just a super slow stance.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

god gently caress this "liberate the village" bounty at that coastal camp love having to start out clearing the enemies half a mile below the ground in a cave and being at 30% control before I can even get back to the surface

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Spudd posted:

The Kela de Thaym is a good fight you should learn it for sorties. Challenges are also cool and good. Also that dude arguing about Titania's vacuum is one dude against literally everyone else on the planet, gently caress him.
I believe I've fought her exactly one, in a sortie.

As I have both Saryn Prime and Chroma Prime, I don't feel a lot of need to go farm normal saryn from her at the moment.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Vallis fish are easier to catch than Plains fish, speaking as somebody who had to go catch a bunch of fish to make Gara recently. Unless you're trying to catch Synthaids, they're larger and slower and seem to have more generous hitboxes. And at least you can catch something else near a synthaid to stun it.

And Tyler Too! posted:

I believe this isn't correct: The rare fish require a hotspot to spawn.

However, this is still better than the Plains, where the rare fish require a hotspot and bait to spawn. And sometimes you need to catch fish to make bait to catch a bait-only fish to make special bait for the thing you actually WANT, while you can just wander on down to Biz and grab some Synthaid bait if you've got the rep for it and you're good. (Synthaids in particular are... technically able to spawn without bait, but I've seen exactly one, ever, without Synthaid bait down.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I love fishing and in particular I like to use fishing to build rep. I'd take the PoE fishing system over the Vallis one any day.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I love fishing and in particular I like to use fishing to build rep. I'd take the PoE fishing system over the Vallis one any day.

:chloe:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Zereth posted:

I believe this isn't correct: The rare fish require a hotspot to spawn.

No they don't. I've caught plenty of Synathids, Charamotes, and Tromzyons outside of hotspots. If you don't believe me go to "the spot" displayed in discord, you'll catch Tromzyons despite the lack of a hotspot if you're patient. Every Venus fish has a weighted spawn rate and some fish are more heavily weighted than others, which hotspots alleviate. In Cetus hotspots were mandatory to get specific fish to spawn whereas Venus they aren't, but are still a really good idea to prioritize.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 24, 2018

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I enjoyed PoE fishing for rep too, but I also enjoy Vallis conservation for rep and appreciate that I don't have to do the same drat thing in two places.

And Tyler Too! posted:

No they don't. I've caught plenty of Synathids, Charamotes, and Tromzyons outside of hotspots. If you don't believe me go to "the spot" displayed in discord, you'll catch Tromzyons despite the lack of a hotspot if you're patient.

Yes they do. The spot you refer to is leeching off of a nearby lake hotspot.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Helter Skelter posted:

I enjoyed PoE fishing for rep too, but I also enjoy Vallis conservation for rep and appreciate that I don't have to do the same drat thing in two places.

Yes they do. The spot you refer to is leeching off of a nearby lake hotspot.

Okay nvm I see where I was loving up. I had the hotspots confused with bait. Bait isn't mandatory, but is still a good idea.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

It's nice to have a video game activity that is just barely engaging enough to keep your attention, but requires basically zero thought or energy. It's pleasant and meditative.

I don't have the equipment or know-how to go fishing in real life or I'd probably do that too.

e: actually apparently you can fish in Pittsburgh's rivers and many people do? so that's one obstacle down :v:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 24, 2018

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's nice to have a video game activity that is just barely engaging enough to keep your attention, but requires basically zero thought or energy. It's pleasant and meditative.

Yeah, this game is the perfect middle ground between trying hard and chilling out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't have the equipment or know-how to go fishing in real life or I'd probably do that too.

As someone who regularly goes fishing IRL (sometimes 20-30 miles offshore) I can vouch for fishing being fun, easy, and you can catch your own dinner. Learn to fish and bring friends, it's rewarding as all hell.