Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BrandorKP posted:

Panama canal, harbor depth, terminal size and capacity, there are restrictions on ship size. They are about as big as they can get for now.

But you're right it's volume versus surface area a cube versus a square.

Nuclear ships cost much less to fuel, so there would still be savings over diesel ships even if the big nuclear ships have to go the long way to bypass canals. Depth isn't an issue because the ships could just be made wider and longer, but not taller, so the bottom depth of the ships would be equal to today's ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Spending two pages discussing putting nuclear reactors on cargo ships is a great reflection of why smart people think we're totally hosed.

The solution isn't to run nuclear loving bulk freighters, it's to revert our habits to an era where consumption of (largely disposable trash) was so low that the global freight fleet numbered in the few hundreds of vessels and most of them were carrying food not toys.

You are falling into the classic well of trying to dream up ways to avert extinction while also perpetuating business as usual for our lifestyles. This is comforting, but idiotic.

It's eat cake or die time, motherfuckers.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
In other news:

Building blocks of ocean food web in rapid decline as plankton productivity plunges

quote:

Pepin says over the past 3-4 years, scientists have seen a persistent drop in phytoplankton and zooplankton in waters off Newfoundland and Labrador.

"Based on the measurements that we've been taking in this region, we've seen pretty close to 50 percent decline in the overall biomass of zooplankton," said Pepin. "So that's pretty dramatic."

quote:

"When it persists — for in our case now for three or four years — in the back of my mind, at the very least, little alarm bells start going off because it means that something fundamental may have changed in the food web."

Pepin says it is difficult to understand how long it takes the effect of this lack of basic food to make its way through the ocean ecosystem.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Rime posted:

Spending two pages discussing putting nuclear reactors on cargo ships is a great reflection of why smart people think we're totally hosed.

The solution isn't to run nuclear loving bulk freighters, it's to revert our habits to an era where consumption of (largely disposable trash) was so low that the global freight fleet numbered in the few hundreds of vessels and most of them were carrying food not toys.

You are falling into the classic well of trying to dream up ways to avert extinction while also perpetuating business as usual for our lifestyles. This is comforting, but idiotic.

I relate to this as "bargaining" in the death and dying process of the identity involved in producing the current condition. It’s the belief that economic or technological "miracles" will mitigate or eliminate the negative consequences while allowing us to maintain "way of life". It’s not a perfect metaphor, but you know: denial, anger/blame, bargaining, despair/nihilism, acceptance. Radical acceptance is then the basis for authentic action and also allows us to perceive "positive" emergence which we otherwise delete.

Generally the difficulty with nuclear solutions, beyond the dilemma of bargaining, is very similar to how we got here. The feedback loops have been so extended and complex that people could not generally correlate their own actions and mental models to what was occurring. With nuclear solutions a profound social transformation would be needed in order to be responsible for the time scales involved. In the presence of such a profound social transformation it seems unlikely that nuclear would present as the most desirable or even feasible solution.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

EDIT: Nvm.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 23, 2018

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Sogol posted:

With nuclear solutions a profound social transformation would be needed in order to be responsible for the time scales involved. In the presence of such a profound social transformation it seems unlikely that nuclear would present as the most desirable or even feasible solution.

Nuclear is, nevertheless, the necessary solution.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Not even dystopian sci fi stories predicted just how much we hosed the oceans. Humans always go above and beyond.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

quote:

When it persists — for in our case now for three or four years — in the back of my mind, at the very least, little alarm bells start going off because it means that something fundamental may have changed in the food web." 

That is what the mealy mouthed scientist said. What they should have said is:

quote:

When it persists -- for three or four years -- alarm bells go off, because it means we are seeing some fundamental changes in the food web

Scientists: stop couching words about this poo poo!

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Admiral Ray posted:

Not even dystopian sci fi stories predicted just how much we hosed the oceans. Humans always go above and beyond.

I've been saying for years that everyone should go find a copy of the YA novel "Feed". Of all the dystopian nightmare fiction written since 2000, it definitely hit closest to the ballpark.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Rime posted:

I've been saying for years that everyone should go find a copy of the YA novel "Feed". Of all the dystopian nightmare fiction written since 2000, it definitely hit closest to the ballpark.

This one, this one or this one? (Listing the author name is useful to avoid this sort of thing. hth).

EDIT: Oh here's another one.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 23, 2018

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

AceOfFlames posted:

This one, this one or this one? (Listing the author name is useful to avoid this sort of thing. hth).

EDIT: Oh here's another one.

MT Anderson

quote:

Feed takes place in the future…a future that isn’t too far away. All-powerful American corporations are obsessed with controlling consumerism, by any means necessary and at the expense of everything else. The planet is ecologically devastated, seemingly beyond repair, the mass production of goods too much for the planet to continue to handle.

Despite environmental risks and pleas from world’s leaders, American corporations continue to encourage consumerism. 73% of American citizens are connected to the feednet, a digital network accessible via an implant in the brain called a feed. The feed gives consumers direct access to digital information, instant purchasing, and if shared, memories of others. In return, consumer profiles are created for each individual, allowing the feed to cater its advertising to the needs of that individual.

He wrote this in 2002.

Rime fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 23, 2018

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST

Rime posted:

No such reversion is going to take place (outside of societal collapse, in which case there won't be any ships carrying food either) - countries are not willing or capable of enforcing controlled consumption and reproduction on a global scale and as we sink deeper into crisis they will become LESS capable of doing so even if they were inclined to. What you're describing requires careful orchestration of consumption habits and reproductive control that is never going to be workable on a global scale.

Shifting to a production and transportation model that reduce emissions as much as possible is a far more useful track as we could reasonably see such a change taking place under enough pressure from the public or climate.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rime posted:

Getting billions of people to voluntarily lower their standard of living instead of using readily available technology to maintain their standard of living is a miracle fix.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Who said anything about voluntarily?

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Well since nobody is going to force them...

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
It's just going to happen.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

Who said anything about voluntarily?

Congratulations on reinventing colonialism under the guise of conservation. I totally trust that we'll do better this time around.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Sundae posted:

Congratulations on reinventing colonialism under the guise of conservation. I totally trust that we'll do better this time around.

It's more that the economic drag of climate change will reduce standards of living and overall consumption anyway. Ars Technica just ran an article on a study about exactly that. One of the limiting factors for climate change is that we just can't do balls to the wall expansion forever because the economic impacts get progressively worse as we dump more carbon into the atmosphere.

We're either going to swallow our bitter pill or have it shoved down our throats. We don't have other options.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
colonialism, except without crops or fish this time

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

anyone know if the source research for the Newfoundland plankton biomass research is out? Didn't see it in the article or a quick search

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
‘Hyperalarming’ study shows massive insect loss

quote:

“This study in PNAS is a real wake-up call — a clarion call — that the phenomenon could be much, much bigger, and across many more ecosystems,” said David Wagner, an expert in invertebrate conservation at the University of Connecticut who was not involved with this research. He added: “This is one of the most disturbing articles I have ever read.”

quote:

The latest report, published Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, shows that this startling loss of insect abundance extends to the Americas. The study’s authors implicate climate change in the loss of tropical invertebrates.

quote:

Lister and Garcia attribute this crash to climate. In the same 40-year period as the arthropod crash, the average high temperature in the rain forest increased by 4 degrees Fahrenheit. The temperatures in the tropics stick to a narrow band. The invertebrates that live there, likewise, are adapted to these temperatures and fare poorly outside them; bugs cannot regulate their internal heat.

Please read the entire article, I did not quote the big stuff. :stonk:

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
puppet fire, puppet flames
feed on all the puppet names

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

anyone know if the source research for the Newfoundland plankton biomass research is out? Didn't see it in the article or a quick search

I can't find a source, probably because it's coming from the DFO and buried on some obscure federal website or just not published whatsoever. This isn't academic research, it's the Canadian Government.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Rime posted:

‘Hyperalarming’ study shows massive insect loss

Please read the entire article, I did not quote the big stuff. :stonk:

This is from October and was posted in the previous thread. If you're going to insist on being a news feed, at least be current.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Huh, guess I missed it the first time, my internet time took a massive nosedive during those three months of van living.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Rime posted:

ThIs is correct, but what else are we going to do? Every possible technological solution will be tried until we are forced to make the real hard choices about the way society is organized, by which point it will of course be too late.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

qkkl posted:

Getting billions of people to voluntarily lower their standard of living instead of using readily available technology to maintain their standard of living is a miracle fix.

It's either this or we all have to take turns manning the coastal defense guns to slaughter people fleeing climate change by the boat load and I really don't want to spend my old age slaughtering women and children because we collectively decided that this was a better option than buying less crap.

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
merry christmas, friends and brothers in jesus christ

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

EvilJoven posted:

It's either this or we all have to take turns manning the coastal defense guns to slaughter people fleeing climate change by the boat load and I really don't want to spend my old age slaughtering women and children because we collectively decided that this was a better option than buying less crap.

Don't be silly, we won't all have to take turns. If recent events are any indication, there will be people standing in line to man those guns.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

I’m a computer toucher working for gigantic soulless corporation in the US. What are some companies I can apply to that are actively working to come up with solutions to CC?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

quote:

Efficiency Nova Scotia is offering rebates and financing to help you switch from electric water heating to a wood stove – and start saving money! Wood-heat can save you money compared to electric heat. And you’re using a sustainable fuel source, made right here in Nova Scotia – so heating dollars stay closer to home. Good for your wallet, good for the environment.

:thunk:

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Wood is CO2 neutral in the grand scheme of things because whatever carbon was locked in it will be sequestered by the tree that will replace it (assuming the tree hasn't been cut down in order to pave way for farmland or development).

However, that's about the best thing you can say about it, as I doubt that the tree that was felled for the wood was part of a selective harvesting operation that respected the seral growth patterns of most forests.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

vas0line posted:

I’m a computer toucher working for gigantic soulless corporation in the US. What are some companies I can apply to that are actively working to come up with solutions to CC?

The best thing to do in the computer touching industry is make everyone work remote.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

vas0line posted:

Any major wind / solar / nuclear / "green energy" manufacturer, assuming you're the type of computer toucher who can actually program for hardware - rather than making GBS threads out JS/Python/Ruby. Industrial programming continues to grow in demand as less and less people possess the necessary skills and humility to do it.

If you're the Silicon Valley type then go poo poo out code for Tesla's UI or something and pat yourself on the back, I dunno, those skills are about as in demand as a rotary telephone in 2019.

FTR: I spent seven years as a Silicon-Valley type, and then flipped the desk in favor of wrenches and fresh air.

Rime fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 25, 2018

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

vas0line posted:

Hello fellow computer toucher! As a fellow in your profession I advocated heavily for expanded work from home policies for a company of about 300. From my efforts we have 2 permenant WFH days and a possibility of a third in the future. This is one of the best ways you can make a huge impact in your workplace's carbon footprint.

Come up with the numbers of how much money it would save etc etc and deliver that to management and it usually perks up some ears because money is all these assholes understand. Also, you might want to take a look at what is going on in your city/town on a local politic level. A lot of shady poo poo goes unnoticed by power companies because local grassroots politics is largely ignored by Americans. Like Dominion Power is trying to dump coal ash in Virginia rivers. A lot of this stuff can be blocked by cities if enough pressure mounts against them. City councils are a lot more vulnerable than national level politics because of how low turn out is. They literally need the votes and can't afford a groundswell. Just get involved in your community my dude/dudette!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

friendbot2000 posted:

Hello fellow computer toucher! As a fellow in your profession I advocated heavily for expanded work from home policies for a company of about 300. From my efforts we have 2 permenant WFH days and a possibility of a third in the future. This is one of the best ways you can make a huge impact in your workplace's carbon footprint.

I've started doing this at my workplace. We moved everything up to the cloud and are eliminating as much driving as possible. But we have company cars and there is a large benefit to the company by reducing our commutes. The benefits are not uniform some employees can cut more driving out than others, but even shifting a commute out of rush hour has a benefit of reducing idling in traffic.

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
i just collected seeds from a desert ghost gum that due to position could only have been fertilised by coastal spotted gums (they are both corymbia, and can interbreed) and with the resulting drought-tolerant salt-tolerant hybrid super-eucalypts i will reforest the dying interior and also any other continents they happen to be introduced to

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
if any of you overseas ever want to do an ecoterrorism for real i can send you some fresh casuarina glauca seeds, or even the dreaded acacia mearnsii

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
atm i'm making up seed balls to sow on every racecourse and golf course i can reach, obviously nothing can survive being mowed every day but i can create inconvenient secret forests in the hidden places

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

incredible flesh posted:

atm i'm making up seed balls to sow on every racecourse and golf course i can reach, obviously nothing can survive being mowed every day but i can create inconvenient secret forests in the hidden places

I love you for this. You are my favorite crazy eco-poster.

Edit: consider cemetaries too because they are a gigantic waste of water and land...